News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bumppoman

Buffaboy

That's creative.

What happens if it actually gets built and open?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Buffaboy

Does anyone know what construction work is happening between the Lackawanna toll barrier and Exit 54?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on April 07, 2018, 07:07:26 PM
Does anyone know what construction work is happening between the Lackawanna toll barrier and Exit 54?

Bridge replacement. Most of the bridges in that stretch are being replaced or redecked.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignBridge

Today there was a demonstration or march of some sort in Tarrytown. They tried to march onto the Tappan Zee Bridge but were blocked by a contingent of State Troopers and Westchester County police. The bridge does not allow pedestrians and the Thruway Authority was not about to shut down traffic on the bridge or the roadway for this purpose.

empirestate

Quote from: SignBridge on April 07, 2018, 08:20:24 PM
Today there was a demonstration or march of some sort in Tarrytown. They tried to march onto the Tappan Zee Bridge but were blocked by a contingent of State Troopers and Westchester County police. The bridge does not allow pedestrians and the Thruway Authority was not about to shut down traffic on the bridge or the roadway for this purpose.

Well, it wouldn't have made much sense as a protest if they were. :-)

dgolub

It probably has something to do with this: https://www.change.org/p/the-ny-state-legislature-return-the-tappan-zee-name-to-those-who-rightfully-deserve-it-the-indians-and-dutch

It seems that she's incredibly serious about putting pressure on them to undo the renaming.

empirestate

Quote from: dgolub on April 08, 2018, 08:58:31 AM

It probably has something to do with this: https://www.change.org/p/the-ny-state-legislature-return-the-tappan-zee-name-to-those-who-rightfully-deserve-it-the-indians-and-dutch

It seems that she's incredibly serious about putting pressure on them to undo the renaming.

No, it was the Black Women's March:
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Police-Stop-Black-Womens-March-From-Crossing-New-Tappan-Zee-479054713.html

Alps

We can't have nice things, so there will be no further discussion about this topic.

D-Dey65

Don't they realize the previous Tappan Zee Bridge was also officially named after a politician (Charles Malcolm Wilson). And wasn't the bridge previously named for Thomas Dewey, along with the rest of the thruway?

Quote from: Alps on April 09, 2018, 12:30:41 AM
We can't have nice things, so there will be no further discussion about this topic.
Sorry Steve, but I had to bring it up.

kalvado

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 10, 2018, 10:55:13 AM

Don't they realize the previous Tappan Zee Bridge was also officially named after a politician (Charles Malcolm Wilson). And wasn't the bridge previously named for Thomas Dewey, along with the rest of the thruway?

Quote from: Alps on April 09, 2018, 12:30:41 AM
Sorry Steve, but I had to bring it up.
Well, this is a different aspect of political discussion - not the one discouraged as above.
Old bridge was primarily known as Tappan Zee, with small memorial plaque with the Wilson's name, few people really knew that part.
New bridge has a single name - that is of Governor Cuomo I. And the way that name was pushed doesn't sit well with many people. Too much conflict of interest, too juicy ass kissing, too little discussion.
Another reason for rename is political opposition for re-election of Cuomo II later this year, as well as his potential presidential bid in 2020. If you will, this is a way to send a message that not all important decisions in Albany should be taken by 3 men in a room - or once decided by 3 men things may not be accepted by voters. A pretty symbolic one given all the conflict of interest involved.

PHLBOS

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 10, 2018, 10:55:13 AMDon't they realize the previous Tappan Zee Bridge was also officially named after a politician (Charles Malcolm Wilson). And wasn't the bridge previously named for Thomas Dewey, along with the rest of the thruway?
The Malcolm Wilson portion of the name was added to the Tappan Zee Bridge's name circa 1994.  Interestingly, the LGS' bearing his name are still present at each approach towards the new bridge (the approaches to the old bridge have since been demolished).

Regarding the (Gov.) Thomas Dewey name; I believe (and someone from New York State can feel free to confirm/correct me on this) such was applied to the entire NY Thruway corridor.  While such includes the Tappan Zee Bridge; the bridge itself wasn't named after Gov. Dewey per say.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

D-Dey65

Okay, but I thought it had another official and barely used name before Wilson.

And I thought there were drivers so upset with the old bridge they were only happy to do away with the old name.

PHLBOS

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 10, 2018, 12:06:55 PMOkay, but I thought it had another official and barely used name before Wilson.
To the best of my knowledge, Tappan Zee has always been the official name of the old bridge, with and without the Gov. Malcolm Wilson prefix since day one.

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 10, 2018, 12:06:55 PMAnd I thought there were drivers so upset with the old bridge they were only happy to do away with the old name.
Most were upset with the condition of the old bridge; not with the Tappan Zee name.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 10, 2018, 12:06:55 PM
And I thought there were drivers so upset with the old bridge they were only happy to do away with the old name.

But the old name isn't done away with at all, save perhaps for a minuscule detail of capitalization: It's the bridge over the Tappan Zee; so, it's still the Tappan Zee bridge, even if it isn't the Tappan Zee Bridge.

vdeane

Yeah, that's a lot of the issue.  Since Wilson's name was a prefix to the Tappan Zee name, it was easily ignored.  Since Cuomo's name completely replaces the Tappan Zee name rather than being a new prefix, it is not so easily ignored.  The old name was, in the mind of the public, simply an honorary name, with the perceived official designation being the Tappan Zee.  Thus, the objection is to the removal of the Tappan Zee designation.

Also, most people associate the name with the crossing, not the physical structure.  Engineers and politicians can cry until the cows come home about it not physically being in the same bridge, but to the public, a "new bridge" represents a bridge where none had previously existed, so it will be perceived as a renaming.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

RobbieL2415

Name it whatever the official State/Thruway bridge number is.

SignBridge

I think regardless of what official name is used, most people will continue to call it the Tappan Zee Bridge. That's what I'll be doing anyway.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on April 10, 2018, 09:12:57 PM
I think regardless of what official name is used, most people will continue to call it the Tappan Zee Bridge. That's what I'll be doing anyway.
Shea Stadium.

jp the roadgeek

Just as people still use Triboro Bridge, Interboro Parkway, West Side Highway, and 59th St. Bridge.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

PHLBOS

Quote from: empirestate on April 10, 2018, 07:33:53 PMIt's the bridge over the Tappan Zee; so, it's still the Tappan Zee bridge, even if it isn't the Tappan Zee Bridge.
Wiki Source regarding how the Tappan Zee name came about.

Quote from: Wiki link regarding the 1955-2017 Tappan Zee BridgeThe Tappan Zee is named for an American Indian tribe from the area called "Tappan"; and zee being the Dutch word for "sea".

GPS does NOT equal GOD

kalvado

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 11, 2018, 08:21:51 AM
Quote from: empirestate on April 10, 2018, 07:33:53 PMIt's the bridge over the Tappan Zee; so, it's still the Tappan Zee bridge, even if it isn't the Tappan Zee Bridge.
No, the bridge crosses over the Hudson River.  Wiki Source regarding how the Tappan Zee name came about.

Quote from: Wiki link regarding the 1955-2017 Tappan Zee BridgeThe Tappan Zee is named for an American Indian tribe from the area called "Tappan"; and zee being the Dutch word for "sea".
My impression always was that "tappan zee" is the name for that wide part of Hudson, and looks like wiki agrees with such interpretation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tappan_Zee

dgolub

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 11, 2018, 06:38:22 AM

Just as people still use Triboro Bridge, Interboro Parkway, West Side Highway, and 59th St. Bridge.

This.  When I talk about where I'm going, I'll always drive by Shea Stadium on my way to the Triboro.

empirestate

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 11, 2018, 08:21:51 AM
No, the bridge crosses over the Hudson River.  Wiki Source regarding how the Tappan Zee name came about.

Whoops, careful–the Tappan Zee is a part of the Hudson River. So by "no", you mean "yes". ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tappan_Zee

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.