News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Quote from: sparker on August 31, 2018, 01:08:11 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on August 30, 2018, 10:55:55 PM
On the list of possible projects that did not make the list was upgrading US 220 (Future I-73) from NC 68 to the VA state line to interstate standards. The Draft STIP is to be released in January 2019.

Not surprising, since VA doesn't seem to be much interested in advancing their portion of I-73 in the near term; considering that, prioritizing a US 220 upgrade north to the state line would be pointless and a waste of funds (unless the goal would be to goad VA into making a move -- which, taking into account the differences in state policies, would likely not work anyway).  Better the $$ be distributed to other projects that need to be done (i.e. the completion of the Rockingham bypass and the full completion of I-74 to I-95 and beyond).

I don't know why you guys think VA has no interest or something like that. I went to the meeting for Martinsville Southern Connector (which is about looking at upgrading US 220 from US 58 south to NC state line potentially to Interstate standards or close to it) last month, there ARE still interest in the I-73 from of Henry, Franklin and Roanoke countries. The problem is not lack of interest. The problem is money and politics from Richmond.

NCDOT is going to build I-73 towards VA state line whether VA commits to it or not, it is just not a priority at THIS TIME as I have been in touch with the spokesperson who works for NCDOT there when it comes to I-73.

sparker

^^^^^^
Maybe I shouldn't be wading back into this quagmire (got my head bitten off by a VA-based poster the last time I mentioned it)  -- but since someone else is taking the lead, I may as well ask a couple of questions of regional posters:

Q1:  Is there a chance in hell that the Martinsville Southern Connector project may be near-term funded & developed separately from the entire I-73 corridor north to Roanoke?
Q2:  When and if funded, is the in-NC project to extend I-73 to the state line slated to be done in segments or as one integral project?

Beltway

Quote from: sparker on September 01, 2018, 11:31:10 PM
Q1:  Is there a chance in hell that the Martinsville Southern Connector project may be near-term funded & developed separately from the entire I-73 corridor north to Roanoke?

It is being studied in a separate EIS to be completed in 2021 --

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/salem/martinsville_southern_connector_study.asp

The Martinsville Southern Connector study will focus on a potential limited access road on a new location and/or will look at potential new improvements to Route 220.

The area for study generally covers Route 220 between Route 58 and the North Carolina state line.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Strider

^^^^^^
Maybe I shouldn't be wading back into this quagmire (got my head bitten off by a VA-based poster the last time I mentioned it)  -- but since someone else is taking the lead, I may as well ask a couple of questions of regional posters:

Q2:  When and if funded, is the in-NC project to extend I-73 to the state line slated to be done in segments or as one integral project?

Beltway responded to your first question. :) and the EIS is still ongoing. I plan on attending more meetings in the future.

As of NC's section of I-73, based on what I was told, it will probably be built into segments: from NC 68 to US 311/NC 135; and then from there to VA state line. The section of US 220 between NC 68 and US 311/NC 135 interchanges has a proposed interchange at Samdis Church Rd/Baggage Rds. But again, everything can change between now and 2040.

sparker

Quote from: Beltway on September 01, 2018, 11:58:47 PM

It is being studied in a separate EIS to be completed in 2021 --

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/salem/martinsville_southern_connector_study.asp

The Martinsville Southern Connector study will focus on a potential limited access road on a new location and/or will look at potential new improvements to Route 220.

The area for study generally covers Route 220 between Route 58 and the North Carolina state line.

Thanks for the info (and for leaving my head intact this time).  I guess we'll see how this all shakes out about 2 1/2-3 years down the line.   

Beltway

Don't put the rope around your neck and you will be fine.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

LM117

Quote from: Strider on September 01, 2018, 08:09:58 PMI don't know why you guys think VA has no interest or something like that. I went to the meeting for Martinsville Southern Connector (which is about looking at upgrading US 220 from US 58 south to NC state line potentially to Interstate standards or close to it) last month, there ARE still interest in the I-73 from of Henry, Franklin and Roanoke countries. The problem is not lack of interest.

Nobody said there wasn't local interest in I-73.

QuoteThe problem is money and politics from Richmond.

...which is why most of us don't think VA will ever build I-73. SW VA is simply too far down the totem pole. Local interest doesn't mean crap if it doesn't have muscle at the state level.

QuoteNCDOT is going to build I-73 towards VA state line whether VA commits to it or not, it is just not a priority at THIS TIME as I have been in touch with the spokesperson who works for NCDOT there when it comes to I-73.

It won't be a priority for a looong time, not when there are other projects in the state that would actually get a decent ROI, such as finally finishing the US-74 Shelby Bypass (which NCDOT dragged it's heels on), W-S Northern Beltway, upgrading US-70 to I-42, and extending I-795 to I-40.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Beltway

Quote from: LM117 on September 02, 2018, 06:02:53 PM
Quote from: Strider on September 01, 2018, 08:09:58 PM
The problem is money and politics from Richmond.
...which is why most of us don't think VA will ever build I-73. SW VA is simply too far down the totem pole. Local interest doesn't mean crap if it doesn't have muscle at the state level.

Yeah, yeah, you claim regional discrimination, when as I have pointed out many times here this is a $4 billion dollar project to bypass an existing 4-lane divided highway in that corridor.  It is just has a very poor cost/benefit ratio.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

VTGoose

Quote from: Beltway on September 02, 2018, 09:20:44 PM
Quote from: LM117 on September 02, 2018, 06:02:53 PM
Quote from: Strider on September 01, 2018, 08:09:58 PM
The problem is money and politics from Richmond.

Yeah, yeah, you claim regional discrimination, when as I have pointed out many times here this is a $4 billion dollar project to bypass an existing 4-lane divided highway in that corridor.  It is just has a very poor cost/benefit ratio.

While there may be some "the state ends at Charlottesville" bias from NOVA and Tidewater, the real issue is this one here -- the cost. There is also local resistance from certain segments of the population who were not happy with early plans that showed a new route cutting across valleys and ridges to get from Martinsville to Roanoke (see, for example, the resistance to the Mountain-Valley Pipeline project in Southwest Virginia). Another major problem is where to go when the road reaches south of Roanoke -- there is just no good (inexpensive) location to route a major highway, even if the final tie-in with I-81 is determined. Same goes for getting around Boones Mill (although bypassing this bottleneck/speed trap would be an improvement). Incremental improvements to parts of U.S. 220 (mainly fixing some of the curves) would be money better spent instead of doing studies for a road that is very close to the bottom of most lists.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Beltway

Quote from: VTGoose on September 03, 2018, 10:30:50 AM
[I-73 VA]
While there may be some "the state ends at Charlottesville" bias from NOVA and Tidewater, the real issue is this one here -- the cost. There is also local resistance from certain segments of the population who were not happy with early plans that showed a new route cutting across valleys and ridges to get from Martinsville to Roanoke (see, for example, the resistance to the Mountain-Valley Pipeline project in Southwest Virginia). Another major problem is where to go when the road reaches south of Roanoke -- there is just no good (inexpensive) location to route a major highway, even if the final tie-in with I-81 is determined. Same goes for getting around Boones Mill (although bypassing this bottleneck/speed trap would be an improvement). Incremental improvements to parts of U.S. 220 (mainly fixing some of the curves) would be money better spent instead of doing studies for a road that is very close to the bottom of most lists.
Bruce in Blacksburg

It will be interesting to see the EIS/location study for the Martinsville Southern Connector project when completed in 2021.  Alternates include new location as well as upgrade of existing.  Then decisions can be made when the cost estimates and location is known.  The east leg of the US-58 Martinsville Bypass is already close to Interstate standards, and that could be included.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

branched-out

Is there a place on the forum for abominations like this, in Fuquay-Varina? It's not just one; they have at least 3 of these posted around the town. They've been up for years and make me wince every time I pass by, but finally stopped for a picture today.

index

https://www.coastalreview.org/2018/09/ncdot-announces-outer-banks-projects/

A few potential OBX projects have been announced.

The North Carolina Department of Transportation has announced several major local projects that could begin over the next decade, including an interchange at U.S. 158 and N.C. 12 in Kitty Hawk.As part of the annual update to the highway department's 10-year planning document, known as the Strategic Transportation Improvement Plan, or STIP, projects are scored on a state, regional and local impact level.
In addition to the interchange beginning as early as 2019, the update includes widening U.S. 158 between Barco and Belcross as early as 2025 and a second passenger ferry to run between Hatteras and Ocracoke, as soon as 2027.
These will be placed on the STIP, which will allow for funds to be budgeted for planning, right-of-way acquisition and then eventual construction.
Here's the breakdown: Short Cut Road to superstreet configuration, $91.6 million, right of way 2023, construction 2025.

• Second passenger ferry, Hatteras dock parking lot, $6.5 million, construction 2027.
  • Kitty Hawk interchange, $32.2 million, right of way 2027, construction 2029.
  • An environmental review is under way for the proposed Mid-Currituck Bridge. A timeline for the project is pending approval of the review.

[/l][/l][/l][/l]
The Mid-Currituck bridge reminds me of all the toll facilities NCDOT wants to establish. Looks like they want to slowly advance to join the Northeastern Empire of Tolling The Hell Out Of Everybody. Have to pay for the population boom of this state somehow, though.

(alright at this point i give up battling with the formatting on this, it is going nuts)[/list]
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

jcarte29

Quote from: index on September 06, 2018, 12:19:05 AM
https://www.coastalreview.org/2018/09/ncdot-announces-outer-banks-projects/

A few potential OBX projects have been announced.

The North Carolina Department of Transportation has announced several major local projects that could begin over the next decade, including an interchange at U.S. 158 and N.C. 12 in Kitty Hawk.As part of the annual update to the highway department's 10-year planning document, known as the Strategic Transportation Improvement Plan, or STIP, projects are scored on a state, regional and local impact level.
In addition to the interchange beginning as early as 2019, the update includes widening U.S. 158 between Barco and Belcross as early as 2025 and a second passenger ferry to run between Hatteras and Ocracoke, as soon as 2027.
These will be placed on the STIP, which will allow for funds to be budgeted for planning, right-of-way acquisition and then eventual construction.
Here's the breakdown: Short Cut Road to superstreet configuration, $91.6 million, right of way 2023, construction 2025.

• Second passenger ferry, Hatteras dock parking lot, $6.5 million, construction 2027.
  • Kitty Hawk interchange, $32.2 million, right of way 2027, construction 2029.
  • An environmental review is under way for the proposed Mid-Currituck Bridge. A timeline for the project is pending approval of the review.

[/l][/l][/l][/l]
The Mid-Currituck bridge reminds me of all the toll facilities NCDOT wants to establish. Looks like they want to slowly advance to join the Northeastern Empire of Tolling The Hell Out Of Everybody. Have to pay for the population boom of this state somehow, though.

(alright at this point i give up battling with the formatting on this, it is going nuts)[/list]

So Currituck bridge will be a full toll road?? Never imagined an NC Turnpike project would advance that far East!
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

wdcrft63

Quote from: jcarte29 on September 06, 2018, 03:43:49 PM

So Currituck bridge will be a full toll road?? Never imagined an NC Turnpike project would advance that far East!

The great (probably overwhelming) majority of the folks using the Mid-Currituck Bridge will be OBX vacationers coming from Virginia and other states to the north. Now, as a NC taxpayer, I'm happy for these folks to come to NC to spend money. However, we NC taxpayers have been doing our part for the OBX resorts. We've paid the full cost of the new Virginia Dare bridge on US 64. We're paying the full cost of the new Bonner Bridge (also used heavily by out-of-staters) on NC 12 and the full cost of the "jug-handle" bridge bringing NC 12 safely into Rodanthe. So I don't have any problem asking Virginians and other out-of-staters to pay for the Mid-Currituck Bridge.

froggie

Quote from: wdcrft63However, we NC taxpayers have been doing our part for the OBX resorts. We've paid the full cost of the new Virginia Dare bridge on US 64.

OBX access, yes.  But I'd argue this one is still mostly used by other NC taxpayers.  You have a valid point regarding the other bridges, though.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on September 06, 2018, 06:38:02 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63However, we NC taxpayers have been doing our part for the OBX resorts. We've paid the full cost of the new Virginia Dare bridge on US 64.
OBX access, yes.  But I'd argue this one is still mostly used by other NC taxpayers.  You have a valid point regarding the other bridges, though.

It is a 2-way process, as the OBX benefits greatly by having ample bridge and highway access so that vacationers can get there efficiently.  The Mid-Currituck bridge would provide much better northerly access, allowing many more vacationers access to the island.

The argument has been made for quite some time now, that the increased state and federal tax revenue generated by the OBX well exceeds the state and federal funding for roads and flood insurance on the OBX.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

LM117

Speaking of the coast...

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-09-06-umstead-closure.aspx

QuoteMANNS HARBOR - The N.C. Department of Transportation will close the William B. Umstead Bridge, locally known as the Old Manns Harbor Bridge, between 6 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 15 and noon on Saturday, Sept. 29.

During the closure, workers will be making concrete and metal repairs in order to replace an expansion joint at the eastern end of the bridge. In addition, the closure will accommodate participants in the Outer Banks Triathlon (Sep. 15-16) and the Outer Banks Cycle Race (Sep. 29).

While the bridge is closed, motorists will still be able to cross Croatan Sound between Roanoke Island and the Dare County mainland via the Virginia Dare Memorial Bridge. NCDOT is making every effort to schedule the work and the closure to minimize summertime and holiday travel impacts.

LM117

bob7374

wdcrft63

Quote from: Beltway on September 06, 2018, 08:07:46 PM
Quote from: froggie on September 06, 2018, 06:38:02 PM

It is a 2-way process, as the OBX benefits greatly by having ample bridge and highway access so that vacationers can get there efficiently.  The Mid-Currituck bridge would provide much better northerly access, allowing many more vacationers access to the island.

The argument has been made for quite some time now, that the increased state and federal tax revenue generated by the OBX well exceeds the state and federal funding for roads and flood insurance on the OBX.
This is correct. However: if the Mid-Currituck Bridge had to compete with other projects, I think it would have a tough time getting funding in view of all the other OBX needs up and down highway 12.

LM117

LM117

A contract to widen a stretch of I-95 from 4 to 8 lanes will be awarded next spring. Two public meetings will be held later this month to discuss the project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-01-i-95-widening-set-to-begin.aspx

The Ghostbuster

Could one or both of the new lanes be tolled, or are the traffic demands in the corridor insufficent to make tolling practical? What are the daily traffic counts on that portion of Interstate 95?

froggie

^ Politics is what makes tolling impractical.  As for volumes, I refer you to the map I made last year...

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on October 01, 2018, 10:12:10 AM
A contract to widen a stretch of I-95 from 4 to 8 lanes will be awarded next spring. Two public meetings will be held later this month to discuss the project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-01-i-95-widening-set-to-begin.aspx
"It's been a long time coming, but a change has got to come." Exit 56 connects to US 301 (Business 95) into Fayetteville, so the point here is to widen the section between Fayetteville and I-40. Got to start somewhere, of course, but just imagine the crunch when 8 lanes narrow to 4.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.