AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 03:13:02 AM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by TheStranger
^^^^^^^^^
Yeah -- the I-80 reroute would have been an "express" facility, with no interchanges between its north end at I-880/CA 244 and its merge with the original route south of the American River.  CA 160 traffic would have had to depart I-80 where Biz 80/CA 51 does today; the original I-80 facility would be primarily for local traffic access.   

I know you mentioned a few posts back that the segment of today's 51/Business 80 (historic 40/99E) between 160 and 244 would have been an extended 160 - do you have any planning maps that show this?  Makes me curious too about how the portion south of CalExpo between 160 and the American River would have been signed.

The fact the new 80 and old 80 would have connected to each other at both ends is a marked contrast from say how old 395/15 and new 15 in Miramar is set up (with one ramp to Route 163 (also old 395) but no other direct freeway-to-freeway linkage), but is kinda similar to the I-5 truck lanes in Sylmar (which are the older US 99 carriageways through that area).

on: Today at 02:33:39 AM 
Started by roadfro - Last post by roadfro
Would there be any plans to improve the signalized junctions beyond the slip ramp, such as at Koval, Harmon, or even the Strip? I feel like removing that bottleneck at Tropicana will move the bulk of traffic somewhere else. For example, creating really large backups at Koval or Harmon due to the near-constant flow of traffic from McCarran that was previously "metered" by Tropicana.

I'm not suggesting a "do nothing" alternative, but perhaps they could add a fourth left turn lane between the Connector and Tropicana (widening Tropicana in the process), or convert that left turn from Tropicana to Swenson into a Median U-turn somewhere up the road, making that Tropicana/Connector intersection a two-phase light. Not exactly kosher, but converting that double left from Tropicana to Swenson into a pro/per light might also improve timing.

I've always gotten the impression that surface streets work better as a team. Basically, I prefer smaller corridor-wide improvements, rather than massive changes at one node, and doing nothing anywhere else.

I don’t know of any additional plans downstream...the article above is the only info I am aware of.

While the traffic exiting the airport on Swenson is somewhat metered at Tropicana, the metered platoons that discharge there now will turn into more of a steady stream with the overpass proposal. Given the coordination that exists, I don’t know if this will negatively impact downstream or not.

I don’t think we’ll be seeing many of your other suggestions implemented. Tropicana is already four lanes each way in this area (which is wider than most streets in Vegas), so I don’t see a widening happening. Las Vegas/Nevada doesn’t do dual permitted lefts, so that’s unlikely (especially across four lanes, which Trop is here). And a median U turn doesn’t really seem likely either...

You are right in that, typically, spot improvements aren’t super effective without consideration of the surrounding system. So if this proposal moves forward, they’ll definitely have to look at the downstream effects. Vegas does a pretty decent job with coordinating signals (and Tropicana is one of the better east-west arterials in the valley), but they’ll have to see if more than retiming will be needed.

on: Today at 01:50:50 AM 
Started by rte66man - Last post by sparker
This is what the latest plans I saw were for the I-49S/US 90/I-310 interchange complex, based on the 2014 Refinement Study that reduced down the scope and format for the project. It shows how I-310 and LA 3137 would be extended southward to connect with proposed I-49 South.

Designed by the same person who did I-24 at I-57?

I was thinking the I-86/I-390 interchange west of Bath, NY was a carbon copy of this design as well.

on: Today at 01:44:47 AM 
Started by CNGL-Leudimin - Last post by Hurricane Rex
Willia: 155 mph

LG-TP260

on: Today at 01:10:35 AM 
Started by Scott5114 - Last post by oscar
Dunfermline to Elmira, taken in Ithaca, NY:

Photo grossly exceeds forum size limits, to the point that it was hard for me to find the Elmira and other place name signs until I went to preview mode. Can you shrink it to no larger than 800 pixels wide x 600 pixels tall?

Elmira to (A-rule) Spencer => Reynoldsburg (OH):

on: Today at 01:00:47 AM 
Started by daviddang1989 - Last post by oscar
HI 200 was not only improved, but also relocated east of around mile 8, to a new alignment south of the original that directly connects to HI 2000 (there had previously been a gap between HI 2000 and the east end of HI 200). So HI 200/2000 is now a continuous, fully modernized cross-island route. A further westward extension from HI 190 to HI 19 is in the planning stages, but a planned fix for the awkward intersection of HI 2000 with Komohana St. is on indefinite hold (I think long enough that if it's restarted, the environmental review would need to be updated).

For county route 31 on Maui, is there any unpaved segment left around Kaupo?

on: Today at 12:44:35 AM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by jp the roadgeek
US 1 goes into hiding for it's short concurrency with I-95 in Pawtucket, RI.  Granted it's one exit, but the BGS's on  I-95 don't mention cardinal directions at the splits nor are there any US 1 reassurance shields on I-95.

How are things in CT. I'm blanking now. The only concurrency that I regularly travel on is the Gold Star Bridge.

CTDOT has actually done a decent job in the Danbury area of marking the quadplex on I-84.  While the BGS's don't show it, there are reassurance markers for all 4 roads; I-84 and US 7 appear on one dual signpost, and US 6 and 202 appear on the other.    https://goo.gl/maps/j52QDCUPpDG2

CTDOT's general practice is not to include a US route on the BGS with an interstate route in a concurrency (both on pull-thrus and at entrances).  The only exceptions I see are in the Danbury area where US 7 gets preferential treatment by getting BGS status with I-84; and at the southern end of CT 9 where US 1 appears along with I-95 on all BGS's for the Baldwin Bridge area concurrency.   US-state concurrencies (such as US 5/CT 15) have each signed equally on BGS's and signposts, except that the new practice at the I-91 interchange in Hartford is to eliminate US 5 from overhead signage.  State-state concurrencies (such as CT 8/25) are treated as equals on all signage.   

on: Today at 12:28:28 AM 
Started by cpzilliacus - Last post by kalvado
notes that the vehicle had hydraulic brakes, and had somehow received a valid NYSDMV inspection sticker despite failing inspection (!!!!).
Not that simple. Limo failed specialized inspection, but did get a sticker for private car. Which is a different class.
Obtaining a passenger sticker is easy. For brakes inspection - pads on at least one wheel must be checked. Overall, that is the very minimal inspection intended to catch most apparent problems, but as long as wheel count more or less matches the spec you should be fine. Less than two wheels might be a problem, but 3 should be fine.

on: Today at 12:12:32 AM 
Started by daviddang1989 - Last post by daviddang1989
I took a trip to Hawaii a few weeks ago, here's some road notes from the trip.

On the Big Island, Saddle Rd HI 200 is being widened between mileposts 11 and 5 near Hilo. This is now the fast route from Kona to Hilo.

On this day, Mauna Loa was in full view.

"Sharks teeth" markings seen near the start of the construction zone.

More construction on HI 200 near Hilo.

In the Kona area, HI 19 is being divided north to the airport.

HI 19 north of Kona.

The back road to Hana, Maui route 31, Piiliani Highway, now has smooth pavement to nearly milepost 32.  It has been progressing east over the years, the smooth pavement ended at milepost 19 in 1998, milepost 25 in 2005, milepost 27 in 2010, and milepost 29 in 2013. 

Hilly section near milepost 17.

Manawainui Valley bridge near milepost 25

Start of the smooth pavement around milepost 32.

Here's a video of the highway from milepost 14 in Ulupalakua to where the smooth pavement ends near milepost 32:

New to me was the Lahaina Bypass, HI 3000. Very little traffic on this road.

It has Maui's only interchange, if you don't count the old bridges on Main St in Wailuku.

Graded for a future divided highway.

There was construction work going on for the Oahu light rail project.

This was in the area near the H1/H2 interchange.  I also noticed work on this around Pearl Harbor.

No mention of I-H201 on eastbound I-H1, still shows as HI 78.

Most of the signage on H1 is in Clearview.

on: Today at 12:08:24 AM 
Started by 707 - Last post by Max Rockatansky
Speaking of Historic US 80 in Arizona I dug up my old photos of Gillespie Dam Bridge:

https://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/10/bridge-monday-old-us-80-on-gillespie.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.