News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2013-2015 Oregon Highway Map

Started by xonhulu, November 17, 2013, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

I just picked up a paper copy of the new Oregon Highway Map yesterday.  It can be viewed online at:  http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TD/TDATA/gis/docs/STATEMAPS/official_state_map_13_15_front.pdf

The last map (2011-2013) was issued 2 years ago.  While there haven't been too many actual changes on Oregon's highways during that time, there were some changes in the map I noticed between the 2011 and 2013 editions:

- These 2002 routes have been added to the map: OR 241, OR 255, OR 542 (all on the SW Coast) and the roads have been rendered red instead of black.  However, as far as I know none of these has actually been signed in the field.  I haven't been by 255 since July 2012, but I saw 241 and 542 were unsigned this past August.

There's a precedent here: OR 540, OR 370 and OR 350 are also still marked on the map, as they were in 2011, and those also were still unsigned as of this summer; and OR 372 is still on the map from 2011, and it was never even designated as a state route back in 2002.

- The OR 140 extension to I-5 north of Medford is now represented in red.  I'm not sure if this has actually been signed yet.  The one time I drove through there this summer was during the forest fires, and I had zero desire to leave the freeway and drive along the route to investigate it in all that smoke!

- Oddly, the three little unsigned state routes (452,453,454) that are across the Snake River from Adrian have now been rendered in red (but not signed).  These state routes are pretty pointless, IMO (we talked about it last year here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7928.0).  And there's an extra "spur" off OR 201 that I don't think actually exists.

What's worse, they also rendered the Succor Creek Rd in red.  This is not a state highway (although it once was), and as far as I know it's nearly all a rough gravel road, so this is pretty misleading to an unsuspecting motorist.

And some actually signed state routes (OR 130, OR 501, OR 260) are still not rendered in red.

- There are still some misplaced shield on some of the city maps:  an errant US 199 in Grants Pass, a stray OR 39 in Klamath Falls, a misplace OR 99E in Salem.  These were all on the 2011 map, too.  No big deal, but they ought to be corrected, if only to appease my OCD.

Really, I'm just glad Oregon is still issuing paper maps.  I will happily forgive all the little errors as long as they keep putting out maps for me to quibble about!

JasonOfORoads

My biggest gripe about the map: Exits and exit numbers.

Seriously, Oregon?  I-105 is an Interstate, just like 205 and 405... why isn't it considered exit number-worthy?  And you've had exit numbers on the Sunset and 217 for two decades now, and they don't merit a mention... but you number the ones on WA-14?!?  The travelling public does use them!  Even the older official maps from the 1970's included I-105's back-asswards exit numbering.

Also, I've been trying to solve the mystery of what "Exit 300A" is on I-5.  I know it was set aside for the Mt. Hood Freeway interchange that was never built, and I have a suspicion that Exit 1A on I-405 used to be "Exit 300A" for some reason.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

nexus73

540 has BGS's along 101 in North Bend.  There is a 540 route marker at Broadway and Virginia to direct traffic to turn for those heading towards Charleston.  Otherwise no other signs are up. 

I have contacted my state rep and she has leaned on ODOT to give the route proper signage and if it isn't done by mid-January, she asked me to get back to her.  These signs are critical from a safety standpoint due to the way 540 wends it's way through North Bend and Coos Bay.  Tourists are already confused so why add to their troubles and cause them to wreck us locals?  When I aked ODOT's Coquille office about signage, they said none were planned other than the BGS 101 ones so that led me to get the state rep on the case. 

Want a route signed?  See if your state rep is as responsive as mine was!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

xonhulu

Quote from: nexus73 on November 26, 2013, 07:27:02 PM
540 has BGS's along 101 in North Bend.  There is a 540 route marker at Broadway and Virginia to direct traffic to turn for those heading towards Charleston.  Otherwise no other signs are up.

Those must be fairly recent.  I didn't see them when I was there in September.

QuoteI have contacted my state rep and she has leaned on ODOT to give the route proper signage and if it isn't done by mid-January, she asked me to get back to her.  These signs are critical from a safety standpoint due to the way 540 wends it's way through North Bend and Coos Bay.  Tourists are already confused so why add to their troubles and cause them to wreck us locals?  When I aked ODOT's Coquille office about signage, they said none were planned other than the BGS 101 ones so that led me to get the state rep on the case.

There has got to be some serious disconnect within ODOT as an organization.  Why is the maps division putting routes on the official map that the local offices have no plans to sign?

In the case of OR 540, it's the route leading to the highly-touted Sunset Bay and Shore Acres state parks.  You'd think they would be enthusiastic for it to be well-signed, to aid tourists to get to these parks.  I can understand why there's no sense of urgency on OR 542 and OR 241, but the sluggishness to sign 540 makes no sense.

xonhulu

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 26, 2013, 06:16:49 PM

Seriously, Oregon?  I-105 is an Interstate, just like 205 and 405... why isn't it considered exit number-worthy?  And you've had exit numbers on the Sunset and 217 for two decades now, and they don't merit a mention... but you number the ones on WA-14?!?  The travelling public does use them!  Even the older official maps from the 1970's included I-105's back-asswards exit numbering.

The I-105 roadway isn't even rendered on the map in green as interstate highways should be (as the legend, ironically located directly above the Eugene inset, states).  Instead, it's rendered as just a "divided highway."  It's almost like ODOT is in denial that 105 is an interstate!

QuoteAlso, I've been trying to solve the mystery of what "Exit 300A" is on I-5.  I know it was set aside for the Mt. Hood Freeway interchange that was never built, and I have a suspicion that Exit 1A on I-405 used to be "Exit 300A" for some reason.

Your theory sounds plausible.  Could be they just never dropped the 300A exit when the Mt Hood was cancelled.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: xonhulu on November 27, 2013, 01:47:15 AM
Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 26, 2013, 06:16:49 PM

The I-105 roadway isn't even rendered on the map in green as interstate highways should be (as the legend, ironically located directly above the Eugene inset, states).  Instead, it's rendered as just a "divided highway."  It's almost like ODOT is in denial that 105 is an interstate!

Yeah, I noticed that too.  Also, throw the Papé Belt Line in there for lack of exit numbers as well.

(On a side note speaking of the Belt Line, I'm a little annoyed at how Oregon's exit numbering goes all... Tennessee in that area.  First of all, the Belt Line is the only freeway in the state where there are suffixed exits with the same number as a non-suffixed exit.  The progression goes 12, 12A, 12B eastbound.  If Oregon had any sense, they would number them 13A and 13B, or leave them unnumbered like the rest of their freeway termini.  Then I-5 North has "Exit 195B-A" exiting off it?!?  Just say 195A-B.  The way the interchange is setup now, it really doesn't matter which one's which.)

Quote from: xonhulu on November 27, 2013, 01:47:15 AM
QuoteAlso, I've been trying to solve the mystery of what "Exit 300A" is on I-5.  I know it was set aside for the Mt. Hood Freeway interchange that was never built, and I have a suspicion that Exit 1A on I-405 used to be "Exit 300A" for some reason.

Your theory sounds plausible.  Could be they just never dropped the 300A exit when the Mt Hood was cancelled.

That would explain why "Exit 300B" still exists southbound.  (There also was a proposal in the early 1990s for some kind of "Exit 300A" that would lead to McLoughlin Blvd. south utilizing the Mt. Hood Freeway ghost ramp, but that never happened.)  However, on all Oregon's official maps, the "Exit 300A" is always on the west side of the river.  Plus, there is a lone Mile 300 marker on I-405 South (https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-122.674768!3d45.504002!2m2!1f203.3!2f77.64!4f37.5!2m7!1e1!2m2!1so9aWZ8dt4u9oDKRkV3Nk9g!2e0!5m2!1so9aWZ8dt4u9oDKRkV3Nk9g!2e0&fid=5)...

nexus73

The 540 BGS's were placed up recently as part of a 101 corridor improvement project.  Also included was lots of sidewalk work, fancy bumpouts, street furniture, lamps and of course all new asphalt from the McCullough Bridge to the north end of the split in Coos Bay.  We look fancy dan these days...LOL!  You'll enjoy the view on your next trip to the area.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

xonhulu

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 27, 2013, 05:52:36 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too.  Also, throw the Papé Belt Line in there for lack of exit numbers as well.

I refuse to call it the Papé Belt Line.  Nothing against the guy, it's just always been Belt Line Road to me.

Quote(On a side note speaking of the Belt Line, I'm a little annoyed at how Oregon's exit numbering goes all... Tennessee in that area.  First of all, the Belt Line is the only freeway in the state where there are suffixed exits with the same number as a non-suffixed exit.  The progression goes 12, 12A, 12B eastbound.  If Oregon had any sense, they would number them 13A and 13B, or leave them unnumbered like the rest of their freeway termini.  Then I-5 North has "Exit 195B-A" exiting off it?!?  Just say 195A-B.  The way the interchange is setup now, it really doesn't matter which one's which.)

I wonder if the exit numbering was established when Belt Line was a Lane County facility, and ODOT just didn't change them when it took over.

I've often wondered why ODOT didn't just also take over the Delta Highway when they horse-swapped River Road for Belt Line.  I mean, I do know why ($$$), but it seems odd to have that one little remnant county-maintained freeway between the two state highways.  But I guess it's odd that's there's a county-maintained freeway in the first place!

QuotePlus, there is a lone Mile 300 marker on I-405 South

As many times as I driven that ramp from 405 to 5, I've never noticed that!

If I had, I probably would have assumed they were just picking up I-5's mileposts a little early.  However, now I wonder if it isn't a remnant of the Harbor Drive Freeway.  Although it looks more modern, maybe somebody just replaced it without thinking.  However, if it's supposed to reflect US 99's or 99W's mileposts, I'd think it would be higher than 300, so I think my first theory is more likely.

xonhulu

Quote from: nexus73 on November 27, 2013, 03:27:45 PM
The 540 BGS's were placed up recently as part of a 101 corridor improvement project.  Also included was lots of sidewalk work, fancy bumpouts, street furniture, lamps and of course all new asphalt from the McCullough Bridge to the north end of the split in Coos Bay.  We look fancy dan these days...LOL!  You'll enjoy the view on your next trip to the area.

I did notice that street improvement project when I was there.  It makes sense to put the 540 shields on the newly-installed BGS's now, but that signals that do intend to sign 540 eventually, despite what the Coquille office says.  However, if left to ODOT alone, it could take years to see the light.  After all, a few years elapsed between the installation of the first OR 380 shield at the road junction to Prineville Reservoir and the full signing of OR 380 a couple years ago.

I just wish ODOT had shown the same foresight with OR 164 (Jefferson Highway) when they replaced all the I-5 overheads two years ago.  That would've been the time to sign OR 164.  Now I wonder if ODOT has any intention of ever signing this highway.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: xonhulu on November 28, 2013, 01:57:01 PM
Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 27, 2013, 05:52:36 AM
(On a side note speaking of the Belt Line, I'm a little annoyed at how Oregon's exit numbering goes all... Tennessee in that area.  First of all, the Belt Line is the only freeway in the state where there are suffixed exits with the same number as a non-suffixed exit.  The progression goes 12, 12A, 12B eastbound.  If Oregon had any sense, they would number them 13A and 13B, or leave them unnumbered like the rest of their freeway termini.  Then I-5 North has "Exit 195B-A" exiting off it?!?  Just say 195A-B.  The way the interchange is setup now, it really doesn't matter which one's which.)

I wonder if the exit numbering was established when Belt Line was a Lane County facility, and ODOT just didn't change them when it took over.

The Papé Belt Line didn't have exit numbers until after ODOT took it over in the 1970s.  No state highway had exit numbers until the mid 1990s.  The interchange with I-5 didn't get exit numbers until it was rebuilt c. 2010.  Before that, it had the same fate as Oregon's other freeway termini: They were left unnumbered.

I've often wondered why ODOT didn't just also take over the Delta Highway when they horse-swapped River Road for Belt Line.  I mean, I do know why ($$$), but it seems odd to have that one little remnant county-maintained freeway between the two state highways.  But I guess it's odd that's there's a county-maintained freeway in the first place!

Hell, technically there were two before the Belt Line fell under state jurisdiction.  Three if you count the portion of 30th Avenue south of Eugene that's an orphaned Belt Line section.  (Unlike the rest of the Belt Line, these exits are unnumbered, but the road has a number -- Lane County Highway #1850, IIRC.)

QuotePlus, there is a lone Mile 300 marker on I-405 South

As many times as I driven that ramp from 405 to 5, I've never noticed that!

If I had, I probably would have assumed they were just picking up I-5's mileposts a little early.  However, now I wonder if it isn't a remnant of the Harbor Drive Freeway.  Although it looks more modern, maybe somebody just replaced it without thinking.  However, if it's supposed to reflect US 99's or 99W's mileposts, I'd think it would be higher than 300, so I think my first theory is more likely.

Actually, if they were US 99 or 99W's mileposts, they'd be a lot lower.  I've noticed that just like with Napoleon making Paris the Zero Milepost of French roads, almost all Portland highways have their Zero Milepost in Portland.  Furthermore, Oregon's default North-South mileposting convention for state highways is to place Mile 0 at its northern terminus.  This milepost belongs to I-5.

I took a look at a couple I-5 straightline charts that I have -- one from 1971 and one from 1983 -- and they both don't reveal any mysteries except to get me thinking that ODOT considers Exit 300A to be the I-5 South/I-405 North interchange, which would be dumb since Exit 299A is numbered as such southbound as well.  So I'm inclined to believe either that I-405 is picking up I-5's mileage early, or the "tradition" of this milepost is from when I-5 did end here, before the bridge and I-405 existed.

nexus73

"Orphaned Belt Line" as part of S. 30th....that's the first time I ever heard that kind of description.  To me it seemed a natural to make a true loop freeway that included that section.  Was this the original plan?

Rick

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: nexus73 on November 29, 2013, 01:03:06 PM
"Orphaned Belt Line" as part of S. 30th....that's the first time I ever heard that kind of description.  To me it seemed a natural to make a true loop freeway that included that section.  Was this the original plan?

Rick

The Oregon State Highway Commission wrote a report in 1967 that recommended a full beltway around Eugene-Springfield.  It's been said that the freeway portion of 30th Ave. was part of this beltway.  However, I haven't read the report (titled the "Eugene-Springfield Area Transportation Study"), nor can I find an online copy.  Northwestern University was the original organization that scanned the document for Google Books.  It's also possible that the University of Oregon has a copy, being that it's in Eugene and all.  I'll have to send them emails later.  (ODOT might also have it, but I'd rather check with places I know have copies on-hand.)

NE2

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 29, 2013, 02:38:07 PM
The Oregon State Highway Commission wrote a report in 1967 that recommended a full beltway around Eugene-Springfield.  It's been said that the freeway portion of 30th Ave. was part of this beltway.  However, I haven't read the report (titled the "Eugene-Springfield Area Transportation Study"), nor can I find an online copy.  Northwestern University was the original organization that scanned the document for Google Books.  It's also possible that the University of Oregon has a copy, being that it's in Eugene and all.  I'll have to send them emails later.  (ODOT might also have it, but I'd rather check with places I know have copies on-hand.)
http://www.worldcat.org/title/eugene-springfield-area-transportation-study/oclc/454924
Southern Oregon University has a copy.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: NE2 on November 29, 2013, 10:39:17 PM
Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 29, 2013, 02:38:07 PM
http://www.worldcat.org/title/eugene-springfield-area-transportation-study/oclc/454924
Southern Oregon University has a copy.

I don't need to drive all the way to Ashland.  There's a copy through the Multnomah County Library system :)

This reminds me of a map, which displayed Oregon State Highways erroneously as U.S. Highways. Needless to say, I kind of liked some parts of it, which showed OR 99 as US 99. I wish someone had made that mistake on this map.

xonhulu

Quote from: 707 on December 09, 2013, 09:28:10 PM
This reminds me of a map, which displayed Oregon State Highways erroneously as U.S. Highways. Needless to say, I kind of liked some parts of it, which showed OR 99 as US 99. I wish someone had made that mistake on this map.

While it would be cool for us roadgeeks, it would be misleading to the traveling public.

I'd like to see Oregon stop using the Oregon Route shield on other state's highways.  Either use an appropriate shape for that state, or just use circles/ovals for them.  It seems we had a discussion about this before, and evidently there were some other states that did this, too.

roadfro

Quote from: xonhulu on December 09, 2013, 10:08:15 PM
I'd like to see Oregon stop using the Oregon Route shield on other state's highways.  Either use an appropriate shape for that state, or just use circles/ovals for them.  It seems we had a discussion about this before, and evidently there were some other states that did this, too.

This is what Nevada does on it's official highway maps. Nevada state outlines are used on state highways, ovals are used to depict state highways in adjacent states.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.