News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

...you watch the lotto drawing on WGN and immediately play route number bingo with the numbers picked.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 08, 2012, 07:51:23 PM
...when you're taking a multiple choice/Scantron test in school, and your answer to some number's question is A, you immediately associate it with an exit number (ex.: If #7 is A, that's I-195).
What if #23 is C? Good luck!

answer hidden in the hovertext

agentsteel53

you read this slow-news-day article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12/buford-wyoming-population-1-auction_n_1339592.html

and your first thought is "damn, they replaced the white sign that used to be there in 2007".

(don't ask me why the green sign has a 2006 date.  I have photos from Oct '07 of a white one.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

You know you are a roadgeek squared if it is Monday and you think, "Ah, a new Attachment A":

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/oe/weekly_ads/attach_a.php

(The big one this week is the Oakland touchdown contract, but that is a re-run.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

D-Dey65

You know you're a roadgeek when you can get there from here better than your bus driver.
(This has happened to me on several occasions).

Brandon

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 14, 2012, 05:35:40 PM
You know you're a roadgeek when you can get there from here better than your bus driver.
(This has happened to me on several occasions).

LOL!  Both my father and I directed a bus driver out of Wrigleyville once after a game.  Poor guy had little knowledge of the streets to get out of town.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

I was on Greyhound once, coming into Chicago, and driver turned around (OK, briefly....he was driving, after all) and asked if anyone would be willing to direct him to the bus station.  Kinda weird....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

You know you're a roadgeek when -

You enter your decorated bicycle in the local 4th of July contest and are more excited about the prospect of riding your bike down a through street with a painted center line than the possibility of winning the contest itself (this happened to me at the age of nine).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

texaskdog

you cant take a new person over the "old road" without telling them about it...even if they are only 7

formulanone

You look at a knot in your shoelaces and imagine the stack of overpasses it might represent if possible.

texaskdog

Last night:  When we were hiking and came up a kind of closed of path and took a left and went to the far end.  When we came back to that fork, realized that it was probably the "old path" that had been rerouted.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2012, 09:56:17 PM
I was on Greyhound once, coming into Chicago, and driver turned around (OK, briefly....he was driving, after all) and asked if anyone would be willing to direct him to the bus station.  Kinda weird....

Year ago I was with some people who got lost in Wichita. I told the driver he was going the wrong way, but he could only respond with "shut up". After he corrected his mistake, I told him "I told you so" and all he could say was "shut up".  It was 11pm, dark and raining. I was in the back of the van half asleep and I still knew where we were going better that the driver... not that he would ever admit it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bulldog1979

You're riding your bike on a boardwalk path through the woods and see a fork to an unconstructed spur closed off with a a fence and think, "ghost stub".

KEK Inc.

...you're more excited about the trip than the destination.
...you've drawn road maps on kids' menus as a kid rather than attempting to solve the maze or word scramble.
Take the road less traveled.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: KEK Inc. on March 28, 2012, 11:24:27 PM

Similarly, ...you have more pictures of the way to the destination more than the destination itself.

corco

your trip has no destination at all- it's just a big loop

Ian

Quote from: KEK Inc. on March 28, 2012, 11:24:27 PM

Guilty of this...

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on March 28, 2012, 11:37:36 PM
Similarly, ...you have more pictures of the way to the destination more than the destination itself.

...and DEFINITELY guilty of that!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cpzilliacus

... when your wife/SO calls you from ANYWHERE for driving directions and you know how to get to the desired place from ANYWHERE.

... and when your wife/SO has her friends and family call for same.

All of the above in spite of GPS units, too.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

My wife has a home daycare, and I get two weekdays plus one morning off per week, so I've watched the movie 'Cars' about 4720 times.  I keep noticing little things and big things road-related in the movie.....

Mack doesn't keep to the right lane as much as he should.   :thumbdown:

There's a button-copy US-66 shield.  :thumbsup:

Radiator Springs has a four-way flashing yellow; if the cross street had a STOP sign, it would flash red; if it were an uncontrolled intersection, I doubt there'd be a flashing light.  :thumbdown:

The freeway that takes traffic away from US-66 is labeled as I-40 on the map.  :thumbsup:

I-40 is six lanes in rural parts of the West; yeah, I wish!  :thumbdown:

I guess you're a roadgeek if you watch a cartoon and notice this stuff.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

english si

Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2012, 05:18:21 PMRadiator Springs has a four-way flashing yellow; if the cross street had a STOP sign, it would flash red; if it were an uncontrolled intersection, I doubt there'd be a flashing light.  :thumbdown:
it's a 4-way red-yellow-green intersection in the day, so the cross street isn't going to have STOP signs, and nor is the junction uncontrolled.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2012, 05:18:21 PM
My wife has a home daycare, and I get two weekdays plus one morning off per week, so I've watched the movie 'Cars' about 4720 times.  I keep noticing little things and big things road-related in the movie.....

I guess you're a roadgeek if you watch a cartoon and notice this stuff.

My daughter went through a year-long phase of watching Cars probably about 100 times. For a while, she wouldn't go to sleep unless that movie was playing before bedtime. And despite that movie pressing just about every button with me (yes, I saw it in the theaters), it was her grandfather who got her interested in the movie in the first place. I think she's only seen Cars 2 about 75 times, but enough where even I've had my fill for a few lifetimes.

SSOWorld

You know you're a roadgeek when you're not happy your work has given you a car to drive ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kphoger

Quote from: english si on April 04, 2012, 07:32:05 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2012, 05:18:21 PMRadiator Springs has a four-way flashing yellow; if the cross street had a STOP sign, it would flash red; if it were an uncontrolled intersection, I doubt there'd be a flashing light.  :thumbdown:
it's a 4-way red-yellow-green intersection in the day, so the cross street isn't going to have STOP signs, and nor is the junction uncontrolled.

Hmmm, interesting.  I've never known a signal to go to all-way flashing yellow at night.  I've only seen them go red/yellow or all-way red.
Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on April 05, 2012, 02:00:14 PM
Hmmm, interesting.  I've never known a signal to go to all-way flashing yellow at night.  I've only seen them go red/yellow or all-way red.

they don't, as that is horrifically dangerous.  it would be like giving all directions a green light.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

It would make sense if it were an uncontrolled intersection, though.  Tho' I've never ever seen one of those with a flashing light at the top.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.