News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

When you have states' unused route numbers memorized.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

akotchi

Quote from: Steve on February 28, 2012, 09:20:14 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 28, 2012, 11:11:34 AM
Quote from: Michael on February 28, 2012, 10:08:41 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just made a purchase that fits here.
...you buy a hard copy of the MUTCD.
(It was 50 bucks on eBay!)

what year?

I'm holding onto a 1967?9? from my job that was going to be junked.
I have a 1971 edition that I obtained the same way.

Let me add this one:

. . . when used, out-of-service traffic signs are the centerpieces of your office.  (I have yellow stop, yellow yield, and red bilingual stop, among others.)
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

agentsteel53

I did not know that year existed.  I have a 1961, and I had thought the one after that was 1971.  If you could double-check the year on yours, that would be great, because a mid-60s one would be a very interesting reference.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on February 28, 2012, 09:50:12 PM
You just thought of a counterexample to mileposts resetting to zero at the state line.

only one I can think of offhand is I-24 looping into Georgia briefly but continuing Tennessee's mileage.  any others?

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 29, 2012, 12:13:51 PM
only one I can think of offhand is I-24 looping into Georgia briefly but continuing Tennessee's mileage.  any others?
I-86 and I-684, but those don't change maintenance, as well as some beltways. There are probably more on non-Interstates.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

A 6th grade substitute teacher decides to kill time by having the class "learn" through research; the assignment she gives to you is figure out how to get from Point A in your hometown to Point B in a city sixty miles away; you tell her you already know the answer; she calls what she thinks is your bluff, and you tell her how to get there, with all the appropriate route numbers and local street names.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on February 29, 2012, 12:22:10 PM

I-86 and I-684, but those don't change maintenance, as well as some beltways. There are probably more on non-Interstates.

which 86 is this?  the former one going into Massachusetts? 

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 29, 2012, 12:58:18 PM
which 86 is this?  the former one going into Massachusetts? 
The one in NY-PA. It might still be only NY 17 where it dips into PA.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

gotcha.  I had thought it was a bit plausible that the first I-86 was given Conn exit numbers and maintenance, since it is so short in Massachusetts.

are there any roads which do not reset miles and/or maintenance which are a spur terminating in another state, as opposed to a loop like the I-24 TN/GA and I-86 NY/PA examples?  I'd imagine that it would be a termination at a very minor road, as opposed to another interstate like I-86 (now I-84) CT/MA.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 29, 2012, 01:38:48 PM
are there any roads which do not reset miles and/or maintenance which are a spur terminating in another state, as opposed to a loop like the I-24 TN/GA and I-86 NY/PA examples?  I'd imagine that it would be a termination at a very minor road, as opposed to another interstate like I-86 (now I-84) CT/MA.
Not counting three-digit routes, I doubt it. I'm pretty sure there are some three-digit non-beltways that don't reset, but I'm having trouble coming up with any.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on February 29, 2012, 01:56:26 PM

Not counting three-digit routes, I doubt it. I'm pretty sure there are some three-digit non-beltways that don't reset, but I'm having trouble coming up with any.

I meant in general, not just on interstates.  maybe some two-laner ends up petering out one state over, but the state in which it spent most of its time is responsible for its maintenance.

though, generally, such roads tend to end right at the state line. 

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 29, 2012, 02:20:05 PM
I meant in general, not just on interstates.  maybe some two-laner ends up petering out one state over, but the state in which it spent most of its time is responsible for its maintenance.

though, generally, such roads tend to end right at the state line. 
Not exactly the same, but several Kentucky routes (and US 25) end at the end of a bridge, beyond the state line.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on February 29, 2012, 04:26:08 PM

Not exactly the same, but several Kentucky routes (and US 25) end at the end of a bridge, beyond the state line.

that's actually a really good example.  I presume the state line is in the middle of the bridge?

are any of those routes signed out to the ends of the bridges, and are any maintained entirely by the state of Kentucky?

alternately, are any maintained by Ohio, WV, IN, IL etc?  would be interesting to have the last part of a route be signed as part of one state, be physically half in one state and half in the other, and be maintained by the other state.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 29, 2012, 05:04:00 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 29, 2012, 04:26:08 PM

that's actually a really good example.  I presume the state line is in the middle of the bridge?
It's actually at the far shore (mean high water or somesuch). But the bridge stretches onto the land.

They are maintained by Kentucky, but I don't know about signage. Ohio signs US 25 onto the bridge.

english si

Quote from: Grzrd on February 29, 2012, 12:26:01 PMA 6th grade substitute teacher decides to kill time by having the class "learn" through research; the assignment she gives to you is figure out how to get from Point A in your hometown to Point B in a city sixty miles away; you tell her you already know the answer; she calls what she thinks is your bluff, and you tell her how to get there, with all the appropriate route numbers and local street names.
I remember in 9th-grade equivalent geography we looked This area's economy from a very similar map. Apparently, according to teacher (who, I think was pulling some stuff out of the teacher's guide of the textbook) said that the quarry is important as it has an A road to it - I said something along the lines of "The A road used to cross the mountains, and doesn't go to the quarry anyway." Cue "well, we don't have an old map, so that's speculation" from both sides...

Similarly, but not really roadgeek related, on a different day we did six-figure grid references (accurate to 100m). Except the Scouts in class had been doing that for years, and recently had all done a night hike, as patrol leaders, using eight-figure GRs (accurate to 10m). The geography teacher (who knew his stuff, but his stuff wasn't old maps or night hiking) had never seen 8-figure and told us off for not doing the easy activity he set us that we did in about 5 minutes, rather than the 30 he had allocated. Even with 8-figure and the extra difficulty, we still all finished well before the others.

However I didn't do that well in the final exams, as I couldn't remember stuff like the order they planted trees in some quarry in Tanzania to make a safari park to try and divert people away from the big safari areas in the middle of the country in an ecotourism drive. Damn politically-correct right-on teachers getting us to look at useless stuff - 8 figure GRs are always going to be more useful in the UK than what plants to plant in a dry quarry to make savannah for a safari park.

Alps

gotcha.  I had thought it was a bit plausible that the first I-86 was given Conn exit numbers and maintenance, since it is so short in Massachusetts.

Exit numbers don't reset on I-76 entering NJ. Not sure how mileage is kept, though, since maintenance is a bi-state agency that doesn't post mileposts.

akotchi

Quote from: Steve on February 29, 2012, 07:09:42 PM

Exit numbers don't reset on I-76 entering NJ. Not sure how mileage is kept, though, since maintenance is a bi-state agency that doesn't post mileposts.
The exit numbers on the NJDOT section are set assuming I-76 is north-south.  Exit 1(A-B) is at I-295; the U.S. 130 exit is 1C; and I-676 is Exit 2.  Mile 0 is at I-295.

Only the EB (SB?) exit for I-676 and the connector to U.S. 130/NJ 168 does the exit number (352?) continue what was in Pa.  DRPA probably assigned this number.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 29, 2012, 11:44:06 AM

I did not know that year existed.  I have a 1961, and I had thought the one after that was 1971.  If you could double-check the year on yours, that would be great, because a mid-60s one would be a very interesting reference.
Turns out I had a 1965 Highway Capacity Manual. Most of the photos are of period NJ/NYC roads.

Alps

Quote from: akotchi on February 29, 2012, 10:45:32 PM
Quote from: Steve on February 29, 2012, 07:09:42 PM

The exit numbers on the NJDOT section are set assuming I-76 is north-south.  Exit 1(A-B) is at I-295; the U.S. 130 exit is 1C; and I-676 is Exit 2.  Mile 0 is at I-295.

Only the EB (SB?) exit for I-676 and the connector to U.S. 130/NJ 168 does the exit number (352?) continue what was in Pa.  DRPA probably assigned this number.
Right - my concern is whether DRPA continues the PA mileage or the NJ mileage on the NJ side of the bridge.

Scott5114

Quote from: NE2 on February 29, 2012, 01:56:26 PM
are there any roads which do not reset miles and/or maintenance which are a spur terminating in another state, as opposed to a loop like the I-24 TN/GA and I-86 NY/PA examples?  I'd imagine that it would be a termination at a very minor road, as opposed to another interstate like I-86 (now I-84) CT/MA.

I-635 (KS-MO) doesn't reset. Exit 8 for K-5 is followed by Exit 9 for Argosy Pkwy in MO.

I-670 (KS-MO) doesn't either, but then there's no reason really that it would, considering it has one exit other than the terminus in KS (1A, followed by 1B in MO).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Wow.  I just assumed everyone would think of I-540 in Arkansas, as its zero point is not the state line.
Any more 'You know you're a roadgeek if...' jokes??
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

pianocello

...If the word "clinch" has nothing to do with sports
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Michael

Wow, this thread really blew up again!

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 28, 2012, 11:11:34 AM
Quote from: Michael on February 28, 2012, 10:08:41 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just made a purchase that fits here.
...you buy a hard copy of the MUTCD.
(It was 50 bucks on eBay!)

what year?

It's the 2009 edition.  I just took a look on eBay, and found a used 2003 edition for $17.09.  There's also various used copies of the 2003 edition on Amazon starting at $8.50.  The 2009 edition on Amazon starts at just under $80.  I went the eBay route (even though I could have gotten a new copy for 30 bucks more) because Amazon doesn't accept PayPal.

Quote from: Takumi on February 28, 2012, 04:10:34 PM
You get irked when maps on TV and on flyers in the mail use the wrong shield for a route

This drives me nuts all the time.  It's kind of sad when I get excited to see the proper shield on a map like this.  I've seen maps use Interstate shields for any route type.  I'd be happy if they at least used circles for state routes.

route56

You know you're a roadgeek if you noticed that Baylor's "neon" uniforms are Florecent yellow-green, then tweet about it.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Mr. Matté

...when you're taking a multiple choice/Scantron test in school, and your answer to some number's question is A, you immediately associate it with an exit number (ex.: If #7 is A, that's I-195).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.