News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on August 14, 2018, 11:52:49 AM
Quote from: sparker on August 13, 2018, 01:03:46 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 13, 2018, 12:06:08 AM
There was a suggestion in a Facebook post that the currently scheduled date won't be hit. Does anyone have a news story to back this up?

Question:  does this project come close to setting a record for the most delayed, procrastinated, back-burnered, interjurisdictionally footballed, under-or-mis-funded, kick-it-down-the-road enterprise ever undertaken on or near the Interstate System?   :-o

My nominee for that title is the widening of I-95 and I-93 between Wellesley (MA) and Randolph (MA) at 44 years and counting.  Initial design for that project began in 1974 (the work was a condition of the Feds allowing I-95 through Downtown Boston to be discontinued), and they're only just wrapping up construction on the final section.
Off-topic side bar: the widening of I-95 between Woburn (I-93) and S. Lynnfield/Peabody (US 1) still needs to be done.  I'm assuming a similar promise was made to compensate for not building the originally-planned I-95 through Lynn & Saugus.

If one rides along the stretch between I-93 and Walnut St. in S. Lynnfield; one notices that the overpasses/underpasses were originally built to accommodate a future widening (eight travel lanes plus right shoulders).  Why such wasn't done when that stretch was overhauled circa 1982 boggles the mind.  Yes, the I-95/MA 128 interchange was still a few years away at the time and the US 1 overpasses would've eventually needed to be rebuilt to accommodate the additional lanes; but such would've moved the current lane-drop bottleneck further north/east and softened the current pressure points at the I-93 cloverleaf.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Question:  does this project come close to setting a record for the most delayed, procrastinated, back-burnered, interjurisdictionally footballed, under-or-mis-funded, kick-it-down-the-road enterprise ever undertaken on or near the Interstate System?   :-o

Well, there was the Blue Route (I-476) which took 37 years(?) to be completed (1956-1993).
Further west, it took ODOT almost 50 years(!) to get I-70/670 completed on the west side of Columbus (1956-2004)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Gnutella

Quite frankly, I can't wait until the new I-95 movements are opened just so non-Pennsylvanians will shut the fuck up.

ekt8750

Quote from: Gnutella on August 15, 2018, 03:31:19 AM
Quite frankly, I can't wait until the new I-95 movements are opened just so non-Pennsylvanians will shut the fuck up.

:clap:

TheStranger

There was a suggestion in a Facebook post that the currently scheduled date won't be hit. Does anyone have a news story to back this up?

It's not (presently) in the Interstate system, but surely the slated-for-construction 132/99 split in Modesto counts if it was the originally planned 5W/5E junction right? :D  (At least for delays, not so much the other stuff)
Chris Sampang

vdeane

Is there something about having to go all the way around Trenton or take surface streets to get to/from the northeast that people in PA are OK with?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on August 15, 2018, 01:37:50 PM
Is there something about having to go all the way around Trenton or take surface streets to get to/from the northeast that people in PA are OK with?

Yes. This.

I can see people in the Bensalem/Langhorne area not having any issues with it, but anyone coming up from Philly, PHL, and points south have a little work to do.

The easiest way with fewest traffic lights would be 95 North to 1 North to 29 South to 195 East to the NJ Turnpike (2 lights total on 29).

theroadwayone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 15, 2018, 01:45:27 PM

Yes. This.

I can see people in the Bensalem/Langhorne area not having any issues with it, but anyone coming up from Philly, PHL, and points south have a little work to do.

The easiest way with fewest traffic lights would be 95 North to 1 North to 29 South to 195 East to the NJ Turnpike (2 lights total on 29).
Right now, the quickest way from the Mid-Atlantic region to NYC and New England (or vice versa) is still 95-295-Delaware Memorial Bridge-NJ Turnpike.

PHLBOS

Quote from: theroadwayone on August 15, 2018, 02:05:19 PM

Yes. This.

Right now, the quickest way from the Mid-Atlantic region to NYC and New England (or vice versa) is still 95-295-Delaware Memorial Bridge-NJ Turnpike.
From Wilmington, DE and points south; yes. 

But from Philadelpha (which is considered to be part of the Mid-Atlantic region, although the northernmost part) and points to the immediate north; no.  Jeff's earlier-mentioned 95 (to now-295) to 1 in PA to 29 to 195 to NJTP is still the most direct route with the least amount of traffic lights (until the new connection opens).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Yes. This.

In the future, the quickest way from the Mid-Atlantic region to NYC and New England (or vice versa) is still 95-295-Delaware Memorial Bridge-NJ Turnpike.

Beltway

How about extending that sentiment to getting Breezewood resolved...
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

theroadwayone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 15, 2018, 03:10:07 PM

Yes. This.

In the future, the quickest way from the Mid-Atlantic region to NYC and New England (or vice versa) is still 95-295-Delaware Memorial Bridge-NJ Turnpike.
And it will be, until the end of time.

Quote from: Beltway on August 15, 2018, 03:56:26 PM

How about extending that sentiment to getting Breezewood resolved...
That'll take maybe another 50 years or so, if someone doesn't pick up on my recommendation of installing EZ-Pass only ramps on the bit of I-70 heading out of town towards Maryland.

Alps

Big Dig still says hello.

roadman

Quote from: Alps on August 15, 2018, 11:37:51 PM

Big Dig still says hello.
For total duration from inception to completion, Big Dig doesn't even come close to the other projects mentioned.  Sure, it had much controversy and issues (especially with management changes and funding).  But it was designed and completed in a relatively short period of time.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rothman

Big Dig was in the planning phases very early on.  Took years just to get it to a green light for actual design.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadwarriors79

So what's the possibility of a partial opening in September? Say the northbound ramp for I-95 opens to the public before the southbound ramp? From pics and videos I've seen, it looks like the northbound (eastbound) side (at least on the Turnpike) looks like its farther along.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on August 16, 2018, 09:42:47 AM
Big Dig was in the planning phases very early on.  Took years just to get it to a green light for actual design.

Planning began in 1982 and the construction work was carried out between 1991 and 2006.
[Wikipedia]

That was my recollection as to when the concept was first adopted.

The Central Artery/Tunnel Project (CA/T), known unofficially as the Big Dig, was a megaproject in Boston that rerouted the Central Artery of Interstate 93, the chief highway through the heart of the city, into the 1.5-mile (2.4 km) Thomas P. O'Neill Jr. Tunnel.  The project also included the construction of the Ted Williams Tunnel (extending Interstate 90 to Logan International Airport), the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge over the Charles River, and the Rose Kennedy Greenway in the space vacated by the previous I-93 elevated roadway.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Beltway on August 16, 2018, 11:57:38 AM
^^Actually, talk of the depression of the Central Artery dates back to the early 70s; right around the time then-Gov. Sargent imposed a moratorium on all highway construction within then-just-128 except for a short stretch of I-93 (that opened circa 1973).  The cancellation of the proposed I-695/Inner Belt triggered discussing the need for a wider Central Artery so officials thought, at the time, they could kill two birds with one stone; build a wider Artery underground.

During the first term of the Dukakis Administration ('75-'79), plans were taking shape for just the Central Artery replacement (a tunneled version) but not what was then called the Third Harbor Tunnel (such was proposed as far back as 1969 and would've ran along the Fort Point Channel). 

However, Gov. King, who served '79-'83, placed the emphasis on the Third Tunnel and the depressed Artery concept was put on the back-burner.  Some say that had he been re-elected for a second term (he lost in a primary rematch to Dukakis circa 1982); ground would've probably been broken for the Third Tunnel prior to him leaving office.

When Dukakis became governor again in 1983; planning for the tunneled Artery resumed, this time including a re-aligned Third Harbor Tunnel (that became the Ted Williams Tunnel when it initially opened to commercial traffic circa 1995).  Funding to build such didn't happen until 1987 when a highway bill containing such passed via an over-ride of a Presidential veto and the rest is history.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

So the question would be when did the Central Artery / Third Harbor Tunnel Project (CA/THT) become an officially approved Interstate highway project by the state transportation board and the FHWA.

The fact that it was being discussed in 1972 likely doesn't meet that level.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on August 16, 2018, 01:20:49 PM
So the question would be when did the Central Artery / Third Harbor Tunnel Project (CA/THT) become an officially approved Interstate highway project by the state transportation board and the FHWA.

The fact that it was being discussed in 1972 likely doesn't meet that level.
You're overthinking something exactly 4 people probably care about, and may not even be the definitive answer to the original question of which project has taken the longest. (I-287 in northern NJ might win that one for example.)

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on August 15, 2018, 11:30:19 AM

It's not (presently) in the Interstate system, but surely the slated-for-construction 132/99 split in Modesto counts if it was the originally planned 5W/5E junction right? :D  (At least for delays, not so much the other stuff)

Well, seeing as it's been off the Interstate system for 60 years and counting, the short-term pressure was removed from this project.  But with the rapid population increase in Modesto and environs, one would have thought that upgrading 132 west of town might have gotten a bit of interest.  Perhaps the much shorter CA 120 Manteca bypass to the north provided a viable alternative; but now that that facility is increasingly clogged with commuter traffic, perhaps CA 132 -- possibly all the way to the beginning of the freeway between I-580 and I-5 -- might yet be in line for at least a 4-lane expressway.  But, I know, with Caltrans these days it's all "baby steps" in the beginning of a corridor concept; I suppose we all should consider it fortunate that even a mile-or-two stub is even in the queue!   

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on August 16, 2018, 04:14:33 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on August 15, 2018, 11:30:19 AM

Well, seeing as it's been off the Interstate system for 60 years and counting, the short-term pressure was removed from this project.  But with the rapid population increase in Modesto and environs, one would have thought that upgrading 132 west of town might have gotten a bit of interest.  Perhaps the much shorter CA 120 Manteca bypass to the north provided a viable alternative; but now that that facility is increasingly clogged with commuter traffic, perhaps CA 132 -- possibly all the way to the beginning of the freeway between I-580 and I-5 -- might yet be in line for at least a 4-lane expressway.  But, I know, with Caltrans these days it's all "baby steps" in the beginning of a corridor concept; I suppose we all should consider it fortunate that even a mile-or-two stub is even in the queue!   

I'm surprised that the right of way was maintained for over 53 years, even when Modesto has become a bedroom community for Silicon Valley jobs!  (Even considering the realities of how sentiment towards road construction in California changed significantly in the 1960s, it is amazing how prescient much of the 1950s freeway/expressway planning was, in retrospect)
Chris Sampang

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on August 16, 2018, 04:11:33 PM...the original question of which project has taken the longest. (I-287 in northern NJ might win that one for example.)
Looking through a couple of websites; the short piece of I-295 in NJ between Exits 57 (US 130) & 60 (I-195/NJ 29) was completed December of 1994 whereas I-287 was completed August of that same year.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 16, 2018, 12:43:10 PMWhen Dukakis became governor again in 1983; planning for the tunneled Artery resumed, this time including a re-aligned Third Harbor Tunnel (that became the Ted Williams Tunnel when it initially opened to commercial traffic circa 1995).  Funding to build such didn't happen until 1987 when a highway bill containing such passed via an over-ride of a Presidential veto and the rest is history.

And not just funding for the tunneled Artery, but the raising of the speed limit on rural Interstates to 65 mph IIRC.  Also IIRC, the bill was overridden in the Senate with exactly the 67 votes needed, and only because Terry Sanford (D-NC) changed his mind and voted to override.  (All I remember about the bill was the speed limit rising and Reagan calling it a "budget buster" as he vetoed it.  I didn't know that the Big Dig was included until I saw a Modern Marvels ep about the project years later.)

I always called that vote "the 65 mph override".

ixnay

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 16, 2018, 05:17:21 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 16, 2018, 04:11:33 PM...the original question of which project has taken the longest. (I-287 in northern NJ might win that one for example.)
Looking through a couple of websites; the short piece of I-295 in NJ between Exits 57 (US 130) & 60 (I-195/NJ 29) was completed December of 1994 whereas I-287 was completed August of that same year.
Well the question is, when did they first start designing the gap completion in I-295? I-287 was pretty much set in stone from the late 60s - designed and everything.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.