News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 27, 2018, 08:26:51 AM
Looks like the Google fix caught up with my go-to site for quick access to GM and GSV: http://mytopo.com/maps

Anyone have any recommendations as to another site that has the simple & quick GM interface and default lite mode on GSV?

http://www.acme.com/mapper/

jakeroot

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 27, 2018, 08:26:51 AM
Looks like the Google fix caught up with my go-to site for quick access to GM and GSV: http://mytopo.com/maps

Anyone have any recommendations as to another site that has the simple & quick GM interface and default lite mode on GSV?

I feel like a broken record.

Have you tried regular Google Maps recently? They've changed it a ton and, while it's not perfect (no mapping site is), it's improved dramatically from when the current generation came out.

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on October 27, 2018, 11:20:31 AM
http://www.acme.com/mapper/

I might be alone, but the lack of Street View makes that site a no-go. Also, that's a really clunky interface.

chays

I don't see how this happens.  Total lack of situational awareness, and surely the road was barricaded?  I just hope the lead-up to this makes it into GSV.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/google-street-view-car-drives-into-flooded-texas-road-becomes-submerged-129826.html

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

seicer

Doing some spot checks of Apple Maps, and I was surprised to see newer imagery in upstate New York, West Virginia and parts of Kentucky than Google Maps.

vdeane

Quote from: chays on November 01, 2018, 09:34:26 AM
I don't see how this happens.  Total lack of situational awareness, and surely the road was barricaded?  I just hope the lead-up to this makes it into GSV.
I'm guessing it won't - the camera is down in the picture, so I doubt anything was even being recorded (and it would be sideways if it was).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Just found a major error in Google Maps; The Park and Ride on the Long Island Expressway at Exit 49 was placed way too far north onto a house on John Daves Lane in northwestern Huntington, New York.

For the record, I corrected their error. But it should've been obvious from the beginning.

NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 24, 2018, 11:19:42 AM
Just found a major error in Google Maps; The Park and Ride on the Long Island Expressway at Exit 49 was placed way too far north onto a house on John Daves Lane in northwestern Huntington, New York.
Major error my arse.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on November 24, 2018, 05:43:19 PM
Major error my arse.
Sure. Try saying that when they claim that a rest area along an interstate highway 20+miles away is at your house.

:-P

NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 25, 2018, 05:10:11 PM
Quote from: NE2 on November 24, 2018, 05:43:19 PM
Major error my arse.
Sure. Try saying that when they claim that a rest area along an interstate highway 20+miles away is at your house.

:-P
Major error my arse.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

Oh, so you must want people to think your house is a rest area or park and ride.

Ooookay.

:-/   :-P  :biggrin:

wanderer2575

I don't see how this happens.  Total lack of situational awareness, and surely the road was barricaded? 

Jeez, what kind of old-school driver are you?  You don't need situational awareness; you just go where your GPS tells you to go and rely on the collision warning systems to handle the rest.

/sarcasm

CNGL-Leudimin

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/google-street-view-car-drives-into-flooded-texas-road-becomes-submerged-129826.html

[pic of sunken Google car]

As long as they show hiking trails as drivable roads, I'm not surprised.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

wxfree

Apparently the Dallas North Tollway and Sam Rayburn Tollway were recently overrun by ghost cars.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.0908657,-96.8228992,61m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

In nearby parking lots, and a short distance away on each road, the cars are normal.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jakeroot

Quote from: wxfree on November 28, 2018, 10:16:05 PM
Apparently the Dallas North Tollway and Sam Rayburn Tollway were recently overrun by ghost cars.

In nearby parking lots, and a short distance away on each road, the cars are normal.

That's an effect of the 3D imagery present in Google Maps' Globe mode. Moving vehicles appear as slightly-transparent objects, whereas parked cars appear normal.

D-Dey65

Quote from: jakeroot on November 28, 2018, 10:27:32 PM
Quote from: wxfree on November 28, 2018, 10:16:05 PM

That's an effect of the 3D imagery present in Google Maps' Globe mode. Moving vehicles appear as slightly-transparent objects, whereas parked cars appear normal.
There was a discussion on this on the WikiProject:New York City Public Transit talk page. Somebody showed a GSV link to a woman who's head was blended into the sidewalk near a Downtown Manhattan subway station entrance.

kphoger

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 05, 2018, 07:00:48 PM
a GSV link to a woman who's head was appeared to be blended into the sidewalk near a Downtown Manhattan subway station entrance.

One can only hope that was an appropriate correction.   :wow:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 05, 2018, 07:00:48 PM
There was a discussion on this on the WikiProject:New York City Public Transit talk page. Somebody showed a GSV link to a woman who's head was blended into the sidewalk near a Downtown Manhattan subway station entrance.

Well, and GSV is an entirely different monster. Until the new cameras started coming around, which can capture wider-angle photos with less stitching, poor stitching was a serious problem on older photos. Trying to get a GSV photo of a sign often took lots of clicking around to find an angle without stitching. The 3D (globe) satellite mode has less stitching but the "ghosting" effect is a common symptom of the production process.

bm7

The user-submitted 360 images are starting to really irritate me. It seems that when going into street view, Google Maps prioritizes them over normal street view imagery which means it often takes multiple attempts to get into street view in areas where people have submitted pictures. Or even worse, when people tried to make their own 'street view' with their awful phone camera, which means entire roads are overlapping with user images.

seicer

I noticed that around my hometown. A third-party company operates their own 360 vehicle but it's of inferior quality (think of Google in 2013). You can jump back on desktop Google Maps but not on the mobile version.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bm7 on December 27, 2018, 06:33:28 PM
The user-submitted 360 images are starting to really irritate me. It seems that when going into street view, Google Maps prioritizes them over normal street view imagery which means it often takes multiple attempts to get into street view in areas where people have submitted pictures. Or even worse, when people tried to make their own 'street view' with their awful phone camera, which means entire roads are overlapping with user images.
I don't quite get it, just zoom in a bunch.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

In my experience, if I quickly grab the pegman, and then drop him somewhere roughly near the road, the chance of dropping him on a user-submitted spherical photo is quite a bit higher. But if I wait for the blue lines to show up, the chances drop to near-zero.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on December 27, 2018, 10:43:06 PM

In my experience, if I quickly grab the pegman, and then drop him somewhere roughly near the road, the chance of dropping him on a user-submitted spherical photo is quite a bit higher. But if I wait for the blue lines to show up, the chances drop to near-zero.
Does google want you to see user photos for some reason? Or is it just a quirk in the software?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

D-Dey65

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 27, 2018, 10:59:20 PM
Does google want you to see user photos for some reason? Or is it just a quirk in the software?
They certainly want users to add user photos. The trouble is, they don't always make it so you can add them. I took pictures along the Thomson Avenue Bridge in Long Island City that I was sure they were going to want, but at the same time, the QR-code thing kept interrupting my attempt to capture images there.

Roadsguy

I don't think I've ever hit a user-submitted Street View set by zooming into a road, but it's definitely the prioritized thing when clicking around on the minimap when already in Street View.

It wouldn't bother me so much if you could actually jump around them properly instead of one at a time. I would think they should just go right into the set of Street View captures for the road alongside the official ones, but they never seem to link together properly, instead appearing as a series of the individual 360 photo dots along the road, separate from the official Street View path.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.