News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Old Traffic Signals

Started by Alex, June 21, 2009, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Quote from: busman_49 on February 12, 2018, 01:36:56 PM
Nice collection of oldies there!

Which signals were your favorites?

busman_49

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 12, 2018, 02:57:23 PM
Quote from: busman_49 on February 12, 2018, 01:36:56 PM
Nice collection of oldies there!

Which signals were your favorites?

Marbelites, followed by that Crouse-Hinds M and the Econolites

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

traffic light guy

Quote from: US71 on February 20, 2018, 09:29:29 PM

Cameron, MO

Not sure if that counts, since it's decommissioned, but okay

traffic light guy

Quote from: Ian on December 28, 2017, 05:08:25 PM
Was bored at home today, so I went around to do some old signal scouting in the SE Pennsylvania area. I came across these 8" Eagles that have 12" adapter units installed in the red sections. There used to be a ton of these types of signals decades ago around Philly, but these are the only ones left I'm aware of. Haverford and Remington Roads in Lower Merion Township...

Those are VERY rare, and what a coincidence, I finally got shots of a couple of old Flatback doghouses, which are almost as rare as your fish-head eagleluxes, and just like with your photos, I happened to find these in Lower Merion.

Brandon

Here's a set I found on Thursday in East Peoria, IL:
https://goo.gl/maps/DQSvAuZWN9r - four lamp signals with 12" reds, 8" yellows and greens, and a mixture of 8" and 12" arrows.

They have friends at that intersection.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

traffic light guy

Eagle flatback doghouse traffic signal mounted on the side of the pole by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Old Eagle flatbacks on stainless steel monotubes by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Eagle flatbacks on stainless steel  montotubes (Zoomed out, really old doghouse mounted on the side) by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Eagle flatback doghouse traffic light (side-view) by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

Has anyone ever seen doghouses older than these!?!?! These are the oldest doghouses I've ever seen, at least within the Philadelphia area. Just like Ian's fish-head eagleluxes, these Eagle flatback doghouses are VERY rare. I'm only aware of the existence of only five of these flatback doghouses, the other three are in Bristol. The ones here are in Lower Merion. Another thing I've gotta mention is that these were shot only a few blocks away from Ian's eagleluxes.

Signal

Definitely not the oldest doghouses out there, and certainly not particularly rare. Your pictures are all very hazy, you need to clean off your camera lens. And the signals have some brand new LED modules in them, so I really doubt they're in any imminent danger.

traffic light guy

Quote from: Signal on February 25, 2018, 09:12:24 PM
Definitely not the oldest doghouses out there, and certainly not particularly rare. Your pictures are all very hazy, you need to clean off your camera lens. And the signals have some brand new LED modules in them, so I really doubt they're in any imminent danger.

In my area, flatback doghouses are not too common, in other states, maybe. And if those aren't the oldest doghouses, what are? I plan on getting a new camera too.

traffic light guy

Quote from: Signal on February 25, 2018, 09:12:24 PM

If so, where's you're proof, I'm gonna start a new topic based on old doghouses

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 27, 2018, 09:04:34 AM
What do you guys think of my Lower Merion, PA; 12-inch Eagle flatback doghouse pictures?

flat-who?

traffic light guy

Quote from: jakeroot on February 27, 2018, 03:42:24 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on February 27, 2018, 09:04:34 AM
What do you guys think of my Lower Merion, PA; 12-inch Eagle flatback doghouse pictures?

flat-who?

"Flatback" is the model of the traffic lights in my most recent pictures. Eagle is the company that made them. And doghouse is the term for a 5-light traffic light.

Eagle flatback doghouse traffic signal (Rear-view) by Traffic Light Guy, on Flickr

You see the Eagle logo on the back, that's the company that made the light. That particular model is the "flat-back"

traffic light guy

Now, I'm gonna say it again, for those of you who do know about traffic lights. What did you guys think of my Eagle flatback doghouse pictures?

Ian

Quote from: traffic light guy on February 27, 2018, 03:51:22 PM
Now, I'm gonna say it again, for those of you who do know about traffic lights. What did you guys think of my Eagle flatback doghouse pictures?

No one is obliged to comment anything on your photos. Just like no one is obliged to go out and scout signals for you, and how no one is obliged to reply to the numerous threads you've gone off about these doghouses...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

traffic light guy

Quote from: Ian on February 27, 2018, 04:59:00 PM
Quote from: traffic light guy on February 27, 2018, 03:51:22 PM

No one is obliged to comment anything on your photos. Just like no one is obliged to go out and scout signals for you, and how no one is obliged to reply to the numerous threads you've gone off about these doghouses...

I apologize Ian

Signal man619

Its pictures of a Eagle 12in Doghouse, that's nice.... I'm glad you find it extremely interesting. But to me and most of the other few signal collectors here, its nothing too special.   
Cameron

traffic light guy

Quote from: Signal man619 on February 27, 2018, 05:17:15 PM
Its pictures of a Eagle 12in Doghouse, that's nice.... I'm glad you find it extremely interesting. But to me and most of the other few signal collectors here, its nothing too special.

Thank you for being polite

Signal man619

I'm not trying to ruin you enthusiasm about the hobby, its a great hobby! Most of the people here don't have much interest in traffic signals, so hounding information down peoples throats about one type of signal does not put you in a great spotlight in this online community. 
Cameron

traffic light guy

Quote from: Signal man619 on February 27, 2018, 05:30:14 PM
I'm not trying to ruin you enthusiasm about the hobby, its a great hobby! Most of the people here don't have much interest in traffic signals, so hounding information down peoples throats about one type of signal does not put you in a great spotlight in this online community.

I apologize, I'll try to keep it cool. It's just that there aren't many sites out there dedicated to this type of interest

adventurernumber1

I think those traffic signals are very cool and interesting, but I didn't reply because I am not as knowledgeable about them (though I hope to change that in the future by learning much more).

But as others have said, you cannot force people to reply to your posts - but do keep in mind, just because someone doesn't reply to your post does not mean that they don't find it interesting or appreciate the content that you have shared - they just may not have the time, or enough to say to make their own post on it. As I said, I highly enjoyed the pictures and very much appreciated you showing them to us - and not replying (at least right away) does not mean that that is not the case.  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

traffic light guy

I've noticed that all the signal configurations in Lower Merion have stainless steel poles. I wonder if the poles were always like that, or if they reinstalled the old signals onto new masts. I'm not really sure, since some of the stainless steel poles have arches and angles, and PennDOT stopped using angled mast-arms and double arches in 1977.

Signal man619

Quote from: traffic light guy on March 01, 2018, 05:33:31 PM
I've noticed that all the signal configurations in Lower Merion have stainless steel poles. I wonder if the poles were always like that, or if they reinstalled the old signals onto new masts. I'm not really sure, since some of the stainless steel poles have arches and angles, and PennDOT stopped using angled mast-arms and double arches in 1977.

There Eagles from the 70's, not that old so my guess is that they are original. No need to replace all the poles in a town and keep the same signals up. Does this Lower Merion have any thing good? Like four-ways or something interesting?
Cameron

traffic light guy

Quote from: Signal man619 on March 01, 2018, 05:40:57 PM

There Eagles from the 70's, not that old so my guess is that they are original. No need to replace all the poles in a town and keep the same signals up. Does this Lower Merion have any thing good? Like four-ways or something interesting?

They do have a few eagleluxes. There are also a few art decos in chester, which is a half-hour or so away from Lower Merion.

Signal man619

Quote from: traffic light guy on March 01, 2018, 05:54:42 PM
Quote from: Signal man619 on March 01, 2018, 05:40:57 PM

They do have a few eagleluxes. There are also a few art decos in chester, which is a half-hour or so away from Lower Merion.

Definitely those Eagleluxes and CHs are a better interest. 
Cameron

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.