News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Literally" should only ever mean "literally"

Started by vtk, September 01, 2014, 07:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

"I literally just died laughing."

That's a big problem, stemming from overuse of the word "literally". It's literally become the opposite of itself.

paulthemapguy

^This.

I've started using the word "actually" instead of literally.  Or "seriously."  In the 2000s everyone was saying "seriously dude" like all the time lol.  People usually mean "actually" when they say "literally," but I sound like a know-it-all hipster when I say "actually" a lot, because it sounds like I'm correcting people.  In actuality, though, I'm usually correcting myself...I use "actually" when I am surprised by something or something is news to me (kind of like the "yo" particle in Japanese)
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

english si

It literally already does only mean literally ;)

I went and looked up "literally" in the dictionary and it literally says "screw you guys, this is a valid definition now!"
Quote from: Oxford English Dictionaryc. colloq. Used to indicate that some (frequently conventional) metaphorical or hyperbolical expression is to be taken in the strongest admissible sense: "˜virtually, as good as'; (also) "˜completely, utterly, absolutely'.
Now one of the most common uses, although often considered irregular in standard English since it reverses the original sense of literally ("˜not figuratively or metaphorically').

1769   F. Brooke Hist. Emily Montague IV. ccxvii. 83   He is a fortunate man to be introduced to such a party of fine women at his arrival; it is literally to feed among the lilies.
1801   Spirit of Farmers' Museum 262   He is, literally, made up of marechal powder, cravat, and bootees.
1825   J. Denniston Legends Galloway 99   Lady Kirkclaugh, who, literally worn to a shadow, died of a broken heart.
1863   F. A. Kemble Jrnl. Resid. Georgian Plantation 105   For the last four years..I literally coined money.
1876   "˜M. Twain' Adventures Tom Sawyer ii. 20   And when the middle of the afternoon came, from being a poor poverty-stricken boy in the morning, Tom was literally rolling in wealth.
1906   Westm. Gaz. 15 Nov. 2/1   Mr. Chamberlain literally bubbled over with gratitude.
1975   Chem. Week (Nexis) 26 Mar. 10   "˜They're literally throwing money at these programs,' said a Ford Administration official.
2008   Herald-Times (Bloomington, Indiana) 22 Oct. a8/1   "˜OMG, I literally died when I found out!' No, you figuratively died. Otherwise, you would not be around to relay your pointless anecdote.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If it's good enough for Sam Clements...

freebrickproductions

And to quote Weird Al's Word Crimes:
And I thought that you'd gotten it through your skull
What's figurative and what's literal
Oh but just now you said
You literally couldn't get out of bed (What!?)
That really makes me want to literally
Smack a crowbar upside your stupid head!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.