News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2015 Meets

Started by Laura, October 21, 2014, 10:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on November 30, 2014, 10:14:32 PM
I mentioned the Tappan Zee meet earlier. Now I'm thinking of a Cape May mini-meet, mostly to see progress on Parkway Ints. 9-11. I want to get down there in April or so, before the NB side opens (SB already opened), but not conflicting with Madison. Besides the NJ 162 bridge and the North/South Jersey divide, I'm open for things to see. Since it's a mini-meet, I'll probably just play it by ear beyond that.

Sounds like fun.  Is this instead of or in addition to the Tappan Zee meet?

Alps

Quote from: dgolub on December 16, 2014, 08:12:56 PM
I mentioned the Tappan Zee meet earlier. Now I'm thinking of a Cape May mini-meet, mostly to see progress on Parkway Ints. 9-11. I want to get down there in April or so, before the NB side opens (SB already opened), but not conflicting with Madison. Besides the NJ 162 bridge and the North/South Jersey divide, I'm open for things to see. Since it's a mini-meet, I'll probably just play it by ear beyond that.

This is in addition, just a small meet. We look at 9-11 construction for awhile, probably stop at all three overpasses, and then do... stuff. Open season. TZ is a regular meet and I'm looking for a special talk or tour.

dgolub

Quote from: Alps on December 16, 2014, 11:19:32 PM

This is in addition, just a small meet. We look at 9-11 construction for awhile, probably stop at all three overpasses, and then do... stuff. Open season. TZ is a regular meet and I'm looking for a special talk or tour.

Cool. Count me in as long as I can find a way to get down to Cape May.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on December 16, 2014, 11:19:32 PM

Depending on the distance you want to travel, the Rt. 52 Causeway into Ocean City which was completed a few years ago (GSP Exit 30) & NJ's Only Exit 0 (GSP, Exit 0, (duh)) are in the area.

Brewery-wise...there's the Cape May Brewery nearby.  It's marked by one of my favorite blue tourist guide signs:  http://goo.gl/maps/vIciG

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 15, 2014, 11:01:50 PM
I would love to do a Duluth meet at the end of September or beginning of October. I'm worried that's too close to the UP meet though (it'd be about three or four weeks after the UP meet; I'm planning on going to that meet at this point), don't know what others think.

I've been wanting to see a Minnesota road meet happen for the longest time, but it still hasn't come to fruition. If a Minnesota meet happens sometime in 2015 (especially around September or October), there's almost no way I'd be able to attend it unfortunately. The U.P. meet at the beginning of September is at the top of my priority list road-meet-wise.
-A.J. from Michigan

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on December 20, 2014, 08:42:21 PM
I would love to do a Duluth meet at the end of September or beginning of October. I'm worried that's too close to the UP meet though (it'd be about three or four weeks after the UP meet; I'm planning on going to that meet at this point), don't know what others think.

I've been wanting to see a Minnesota road meet happen for the longest time, but it still hasn't come to fruition. If a Minnesota meet happens sometime in 2015 (especially around September or October), there's almost no way I'd be able to attend it unfortunately. The U.P. meet at the beginning of September is at the top of my priority list road-meet-wise.

No worries. It's not going to happen around that time. It was probably silly of me to consider it for that time. I'm still thinking of holding it this summer depending on what else people plan, otherwise 2016 I guess it will be!
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 21, 2014, 04:12:14 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on December 20, 2014, 08:42:21 PM

No worries. It's not going to happen around that time. It was probably silly of me to consider it for that time. I'm still thinking of holding it this summer depending on what else people plan, otherwise 2016 I guess it will be!

Awesome! I'd love to attend - regardless of which part of Minnesota it's in. This will finally give me the opportunity to visit Minnesota for the first time! I live in Michigan, which would make one think that Minnesota isn't that far away from me. The only thing is that I've just never had a reason to ever go to Minnesota before. Now this will give me a very good reason. :)

I'm not sure if you've ever hosted a meet before, but I'd encourage you to check out the handy guide that H.B. Elkins created called "How to Host a Successful Road Meet". It's right at the top of the Road Enthusiasts Meetings board. I would strongly encourage you to plan early, provide multiple options of dates, allow people to vote among those dates, and make your announcement at least five or six months in advance if possible.

Minnesota 2016! :)
-A.J. from Michigan

TheHighwayMan3561

Sounds like by popular demand from several of you, Duluth will be happening in 2016 instead! Stay tuned for updates in 2015 and beyond! :) I'm very grateful for the interest generated so far from a few people, I really appreciate.

Thanks AJ for pointing that thread out to me as well. I'd skimmed it before but not read it too deeply yet.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

codyg1985

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 22, 2014, 10:17:32 PM
Sounds like by popular demand from several of you, Duluth will be happening in 2016 instead! Stay tuned for updates in 2015 and beyond! :) I'm very grateful for the interest generated so far from a few people, I really appreciate.

Thanks AJ for pointing that thread out to me as well. I'd skimmed it before but not read it too deeply yet.

I would definitely consider going in 2016! I've also never been to Minnesota, so it would be awesome to be able to go.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

getemngo

I love Minnesota (from my one visit), so you'd definitely see me in Duluth!
~ Sam from Michigan

jpi

I am planning a spring 2016 central Pennsylvania roadmeet, just not sure on what date, plan to iron that out next year :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Dougtone

Quote from: getemngo on December 24, 2014, 01:00:47 PM
I love Minnesota (from my one visit), so you'd definitely see me in Duluth!
Agreed on Minnesota. I enjoyed my visit there so much that I had to travel back there for more.

AsphaltPlanet

I haven`t been to a road meet in many years, but Duluth is one of those cities that I`d love to visit.  Looks very interesting from a roads perspective.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Laura

Quote from: Laura on October 26, 2014, 05:44:33 PM
March 7-8 or 14-15 are my ideal dates for hosting. The Saturday would be Baltimore and the Sunday on the Eastern Shore (just over the Bay Bridge).

Because I've gotten some questions through private messages, I am still planning on having the meet one of these two weekends. I am waiting on my aunt to decide which weekend in March she is hosting my cousin's baby shower (my cousin is due 4/12). She wants to have the shower "a month before the baby is due", which is likely to be the second weekend. If that's the case, I want to make sure the first weekend is free and clear for the meet. As soon as I know, I will announce the dates and itinerary.

Alps

The third 2016 meet has popped up on the radar, by request of someone who can't travel far until then. Toronto, sometime late May to August.

bandit957

Quote from: Alps on January 23, 2015, 11:36:05 PM
The first 2016 meet has popped up on the radar, by request of someone who can't travel far until then. Toronto, sometime late May to August.

I thought there were already plans for a St. Louis meet in 2016.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

getemngo

There were also already plans for a Duluth meet in 2016.
~ Sam from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: getemngo on January 24, 2015, 01:10:20 AM
I feel like January is too early for a 2016 meets thread.

Dougtone

Quote from: Alps on January 24, 2015, 01:50:21 AM
Quote from: getemngo on January 24, 2015, 01:10:20 AM
At this rate, we'll be talking about 2020 meets by Washington's Birthday.

vdeane

Yeah, the tendency seems to be towards scheduling meets VERY far in advance these days.  I wasn't even going to look at scheduling Utica/Rome until April, but I had to jump on it because all the spring dates were filling up!

If we're already announcing 2016 meets, my guess is that I'll be doing some form of Albany meet next year.  I want to incorporate some Schenectady stuff in too, but I'm not sure how easily done that is.  There could well be enough for a two day Capital District meet.

Quote from: Alps on January 23, 2015, 11:36:05 PM
The third 2016 meet has popped up on the radar, by request of someone who can't travel far until then. Toronto, sometime late May to August.
I guess I now know what my next trip to Canada will be.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

corco

I plan on doing a Calgary meet in the spring of 2023, so I want to get that slot booked now.

Alps

Quote from: corco on January 24, 2015, 04:34:22 PM
I plan on doing a Calgary meet in the spring of 2023, so I want to get that slot booked now.
It doesn't make sense to have two Western Canada meets in the same year. I'll move Moose Jaw to 2022.

jeffandnicole

Of course, even though we have 7 years to plan for this, half the group will still be 2 hours late.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on January 24, 2015, 01:50:21 AM

Hey, if the 2016 Rand McNally atlas can come out in May...  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 24, 2015, 06:17:07 PM

Of course, even though we have 7 years to plan for this, half the group will still be 2 hours late.
Better than the meet host not showing up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.