News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Name this style of bridge

Started by roadman65, January 17, 2015, 11:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that many railroad bridges as well as older PA highway overpasses have a only two main girders that are built to the side of the overhead structure while the deck is supported on small beams that cross between the two main girders and smaller parallel beams.  Also this one that carries CR 537 over US 30 in Camden, NJ has the same principal.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Camden,+NJ/@39.9437111,-75.1067749,3a,75y,323.44h,79.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s31etEQdEtthPaGOkxQS0BA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c6c9192e360043:0xdfe36b76a1938686

You can see how the bridge only has two large girders to support the load instead of a whole bunch of long thick girders to support the upper road like usual.  I am curious to know the name of this type of structure.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

That is called a Thru Girder bridge.

Tom958

What about this type, with vertical members that are integral with the spans? And that often aren't vertical? They're nonexistent in my own state, but quite common in Tennessee:

And, while I'm asking ignorant bridge questions, what about this type?

Big John

Steel deck girder and looks like a reinforced concrete deck girder, but could be different without an underneath shot of the bridge.

The unusual piers don't change that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.