News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Destination Cuba: Ferry Operators Eye Florida to Havana Service

Started by cpzilliacus, April 24, 2015, 11:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

WSJ.com: Destination Cuba: Ferry Operators Eye Florida to Havana Service - Move comes after Washington lifted some travel restrictions that have long made Cuba practically off limits for most Americans

QuoteFerry operators are racing to be the first to tie up pier-side in Havana.

QuoteAt least five shipping companies have applied for special licenses from the U.S. State Department to relaunch overnight ferry service from ports in Florida, according to shipping executives familiar with the matter. The routes were popular with American tourists and weekend revelers before sea links were closed off more than 50 years ago.

QuoteThe Obama administration has eased sanctions and promises to normalize relations with Havana. As part of that move, Washington has lifted some travel restrictions that have long made Cuba practically off limits for most American visitors.

QuoteThe U.S. Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Controls now allows visits for a variety of things that once required special approval. Those include trips by Americans to see family, professional and educational travel, and travel related to humanitarian projects and sporting events.

QuoteTourism is still prohibited, but shipping executives are betting that those restrictions will fall away soon, too. Since the Obama administration first started easing travel restrictions to Cuba several years ago, approved travelers have been able to use several Washington-sanctioned charter flights to the island. There are some private ferry charters for humanitarian cargo and other approved shipments, too, but passengers aren't typically allowed aboard.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

This is the perfect time to build a literal bridge from the keys to Havana.  It can be called the Immigration Freedomway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: vdeane on April 25, 2015, 05:07:32 PM
This is the perfect time to build a literal bridge from the keys to Havana.  It can be called the Immigration Freedomway.

95 miles is a pretty long bridge!

Wonder how deep the Florida Strait is at its deepest point?

Have to be pretty stout construction because of the threat from hurricanes (consider what happened to the Flagler's Overseas Railroad).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sdmichael

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 28, 2015, 04:22:15 PM

Have to be pretty stout construction because of the threat from hurricanes (consider what happened to the Flagler's Overseas Railroad).

Rough estimates from the bathymetry in Google Earth are anywhere from 5000' to 1500' in depth. A ferry seems a better move.

Henry

Quote from: sdmichael on April 29, 2015, 10:32:09 AM

Rough estimates from the bathymetry in Google Earth are anywhere from 5000' to 1500' in depth. A ferry seems a better move.
As nice as it would be to drive from Miami to Havana, this will never happen. So I agree that a ferry is the better way to go.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Pete from Boston

Just after reading this thread I came across this five-foot-tall poster in the bathroom of a Cuban restaurant in Jersey City, discussing what was then a new ferry from Key West to Havana:

US 41

Hmmm. I would not feel safe traveling to Cuba. I'll pass. And this is coming from a person that is willing to drive in Mexico, where everyone (family and friends) thinks I'll get kidnapped or murdered by a cartel.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

vdeane

It's nothing compared to the full extent of the original proposal, which is only becoming more true by the minute.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US 41 on April 29, 2015, 07:21:30 PM
Hmmm. I would not feel safe traveling to Cuba. I'll pass. And this is coming from a person that is willing to drive in Mexico, where everyone (family and friends) thinks I'll get kidnapped or murdered by a cartel.

America is probably the only normal 1st world country that doesn't allow people to travel to Cuba.  It's a big destination for Canadians, for example. And you'll be hard pressed to find any sort of problems that tourists experience in Cuba. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.