News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Shady Jay's Pics

Started by shadyjay, July 28, 2015, 06:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

Greetings....

A link to my album where I post various pictures of road signs I've taken in the past few years:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135845320@N06/collections

Current Albums of interest:
I-91 Sign replacement in VT (expect an update to this on or about August 2, 2015)
I-91 Sign replacement in MA (Springfield project so far, northern section project hasn't started yet)
US 7 & VT 279 in southwest VT

And the newest album:

Baldwin Bridge walk, taken July 25, 2015

UPDATE 10/3:
Pictures have been moved from Picasa to Flickr. 

shadyjay

Gallery update 8/2/2015:

*  I-91 sign replacement in VT, from Mass state line to Exit 6. 
*  I-395 sign replacement in CT, from I-95 to CT 2 in Norwich.
*  Misc CT, for now just some of I-91 north of Hartford, including new mile markers.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

shadyjay

Just fully updated my *new* FLICKR page with new photos from this month:

I-395 Sign Replacement in CT album:
Pics along the entire length of I-395 of the new signs, which currently exist up to Plainfield, plus some of the older signs right up to the Mass border.  These new shots were taken 9/27 and are mixed in with the ones taken 8/2/2015.

CT album:
I-95 photos, mostly between Exits 70 & 71

MA album:  NEW!
I-395 and I-290 photos, plus a shot of the last BGS in Mass on US 3

NH album:  NEW!
NH 101, Spaulding Tpke, I-95, I-93, I-89, and Everett Tpke shots

ME album:  NEW!
I-95, mostly from Kittery to Wells

Link to the main page of the album:

ENJOY!

CrossCountryRoads

Very cool pictures!  Thanks for sharing!

roadman65

Did not know CT went mile based and started with I-395.  Anyway nice photos of that and the ME Turnpike.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

shadyjay

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2015, 08:14:13 PM
Anyway nice photos of that and the ME Turnpike.

Thanks... really should've taken more pictures in Maine.  I traveled the 'pike up to Portland and then I-295 to Freeport.  Oh well... always next time!

OracleUsr

I remember when you did that trip to Fort Kent and took sign pics a year before Maine switched to distance numbering. 
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

shadyjay

Wow - that was back in, what, '03?  Didn't go all the way to Fort Kent... just to Limestone.  And while I was up that far, I really should've "clinched" I-95 by driving the extra couple miles to Exit 63 (Exit 305) and turned around.  But after that particular weekend, I just wanted to get home.  Should've taken more pictures of signs, but I did get myself posing with the Hogan Rd BGS in Bangor.  That was the big mission.

shadyjay

EDIT 2

Finally got out of dodge (VT) for a few days.  Down in CT until Friday.  Significant updates in my FLICKR page and a lot more coming in the days ahead.  Here's whats been updated thus far:

I-84 CT - Southington to Union - NEW ALBUM!
I-89 VT - Royalton to White River Jct
I-91 CT - SB Enfield to New Haven and NB from New Haven to Meriden
I-91 MA - from Bernardston to Springfield (entire length)
I-91 VT - around Springfield
I-95 CT - NB from New Haven to Old Saybrook and SB from N Stonington to New Haven
I-395 CT - from Thompson to Montville
CT misc - parts of CT 15, I-691 WB, CT 2A
MA misc - I-84 and I-90 from Sturbridge to Auburn

Just start here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/collections/72157657234163953/

And be sure to click the photos to see their full size version.  Cropping and descriptions are ongoing.

And later in the week, look for more updates on I-91, CT-MA-VT. 

shadyjay

Trip complete and most pics have been cropped and described.

Additional pages updated:

CT 9 - new
I-91 - CT
I-91 - MA
I-91 - VT - primarily new shots snapped from Springfield to St Johnsbury

Check my signature for the link.

On the horizon for the near future (ie - this summer/fall 2016)...
I-91 - VT - St Johnsbury to the Canadian border
I-89 - VT - White River Jct to the Canadian border, tracking the sign replacement I-91 to Exit 3

And time pending, my western CT road trip, covering the rest of I-84 and I-95. 

ENJOY!!!

shadyjay

With my truck having passed inspection and an oil change, I hit the road for a quick circle jaunt around Northern Vermont.  The trip took me to the ends of both Interstates 89 and 91, turning around at the US/Canadian border.  Exact route was as follows:

VT 100 North to Waterbury
I-89 North to Exit 13
I-189 West to US 7
I-189 East to I-89
I-89 North to Exit 22 (last exit in US)
I-89 South to Exit 21
VT 78 East to VT 105
VT 105 East to Newport
I-91 North to Exit 29
I-91 South to Exit 21
US 2 West to I-89
I-89 North to Exit 10
VT 100 South

With the completion of this trip, I have traveled all of I-91 since April and all of I-89 in the past year. 

The following albums were updated:
I-89 VT
I-91 VT
I-189 VT (new)
VT misc

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/collections/72157657234163953/

Next trip is scheduled for July 14-17, where I plan to cover the rest of I-84 and I-95 in CT, and more. 

Have a happy and safe 4th!

shadyjay

Updates, 7-15 through 7-18-2016....

Vermont:
I-89, I-93 (new page)

New Hampshire:
I-93 (end-to end)

Massachusetts:
I-90, I-91, I-395/I-290, Mass Misc (new page)

Connecticut:
I-84, I-95, I-395, US 7, CT 9

New York:
NY misc (new page)

Click the link in the sig to get to the photos, then click Roads & Signs to the individual state collections.

shadyjay

An unexpected trip to Connecticut due to a family emergency led to this most recent update....

I-91 MA
I-95 CT - new southbound pics from Exits 46-38
Milford Parkway (CT) - new page
Wilbur Cross Parkway (CT) - new page

More updates in a few days. 

Link below in the signature. 

shadyjay

Updated 9/4/2016

Round 1 AND 2 (AND Now Round 3) of my Labor Day weekend trip to CT is online...

I-91 - MA  - Exit 26 & Exit 14-connector to I-90
I-90 - MA  - Exits 4-9, EB
I-84 - MA  - (entire) (missing pics from a trip this past spring, EB, added as well)
I-84 - CT  -  Exits 74-55-WB, and Waterbury reconstruction area-WB
CT 2    -      Exits 3-19, EB
CT 8    -      Waterbury to Winsted (NB)
CT 11  -      (entire), SB
I-95   CT     Exits 37-2, SB, Exits 46-65 NB
CT 15         Merritt Parkway, Exits 27-54
CT 72         Bristol to New Britain (EB)
NY misc

Round 4, the return back to Vermont, on Labor Day.

Link in the sig below... be safe & travel safer this weekend!

US 81

Great Pics. I enjoyed seeing these. Thanks for sharing them.

shadyjay

So my weekend trip is complete.  Here was my route, day-by-day:

Friday 9/2:
VT 100 South from Warren to Ludlow.... VT 103 South to Rockingham.... I-91 South to MA Exit 14.... I-90 East to Exit 9... I-84 West to CT Exit 55.... CT 2 East to Exit 19.... CT 11 South to Exit 4.... CT 82 West to CT 156 South/East to I-95 North Exit 69.... CT 9 North.
*  Stops along the way:  CT Welcome Center on I-84 in Willington (WB)

Saturday 9/3:
I-95 South from CT Exit 65 to NY Exit 21... I-287 West to Exit 9N.... Hutchinson River Pkwy to CT.... Merritt Pkwy NB to Exit 54.... Milford Pkwy SB to US 1.... US 1 North to I-95.... I-95 North to Exit 65
* Stops along the way:  Madison service plaza I-95 SB, Greenwich service plaza Merritt Pkwy NB, Branford service plaza I-95 NB

Sunday 9/4:
CT 80 West to North Madison.... CT 79 North to Durham.... CT 17 North to CT 147 North to CT 66 West.... I-691 West to Exit 1.... I-84 West to Exit 20.... CT 8 North to end of expy.... US 44 East to Canton.... CT 179 South to CT 4.... CT 4 West to CT 72... CT 72 South/East to New Britain.... CT 9 South to Exit 21.... CT 15 South to Exit 67S.... I-91 South to Exit 15.... CT 68 East to Durham.... back roads to Higganum.... CT 154 South to CT 82 West.... to CT 9 SB.

Monday 9/5:
CT 9 North to Exit 20N.... I-91 North to Exit 25.... CT 3 North to CT 2 West to Exit 2W.... I-84 West to Exit 51.... I-91 North to VT Exit 8.... VT/NH 12 South to NH 12A North to West Lebanon.... I-89 North to VT Exit 8.... US 2 West to backroads to VT 100B to VT 100 South to Warren.
* Stops along the way:  gas in Northampton MA, Walmart in West Lebanon NH

My original return trip was going to be I-95 to MA 128 to US 3 North to I-93 North to I-89 North, but coastal effects from Hermine altered the route.

The photos are now all online, but some fine tuning, cropping, and reorganization continues.  Link below.

I hope to get one more big trip in this fall, to Maine.  Other things to take care of before that happens.

shadyjay

Well, it's been a while.  There's good news and bad news. 

The bad news:  my truck was out of commission for almost a month, from mid-Sept to (almost) mid-Oct.  So my Maine road trip didn't happen.

The good news:  I'm back on the road and just completed another roundtrip from VT to CT.  This time, the trip allowed me to cover CT's I-384, I-291, US 6 (Willimantic Bypass), and the Bradley Airport connector, plus the ancient West Springfield, MA expressway portion of US 5, so there's new pages for all of these.  Plus, updates to the I-89 VT, I-91 CT, I-91 MA, I-91 VT, I-395-CT, and CT 9 pages. 

Further trips this year will depend on weather and work, both of which will get crazy for me starting 11/1.  I'll be fine-tuning the pics throughout the next week or so, including finishing cropping and descriptions, and will also reorder pics in the albums so that they're in sequential series by exit number, regardless of when they were taken.  For example, I-91 in CT will eventually be reordered to be NB Exits 1-49, then SB Exits 49-1. 

Enjoy!

shadyjay

Just got back from another VT-CT trip.  Got some updates to my I-91 CT and I-95 CT albums, plus new albums for CT 34 and CT 40.  And one lone new pic posted in I-89 VT album.  This was quite possibly my last road trip until the spring, as a Christmas trip will (hopefully) be by train. 

(link below in the sig)

It was a successful 2016 road trip season for me, with numerous CT trips covering most of the limited-access highways in the Nutmeg State.  Next year, I'll finish it out with the rest of CT 8 & 25, and I-84 EB.  Until then, enjoy and have a great winter!

shadyjay

I'm on vacation for the week, spending some time with family in CT before I head to Maine later in the week.  Today, I did a little "drive-around" covering various roads in western and central Connecticut, including updates to the following CT photo pages:  I-84, I-91, I-95, I-691, CT 8, CT 8/25, CT 9, and CT 25.

My Maine trip begins Thursday and continues to Sunday, so look for my next big update early NEXT week.  That update will include various roads in Mass, NH, and Maine. 

Link is in my sig at the bottom.  Enjoy!

shadyjay

Highly successful trip to Maine!  Because of this trip, the following albums got updated, in addition to those in the above post:

CT:  I-95, I-395
MA:  I-395, I-90, I-93, US 1, I-95
NH:  I-95
ME:  I-95, I-295, I-395, Falmouth Spur, Maine Misc

shadyjay

Kicked off my 2018 summer driving season with my annual spring trip from VT to CT.  So lots of updates to the following:

CT:  I-84, I-91, I-95, US 7, CT 2, CT 3, CT 9, CT 11, CT 72
MA:  I-91

Foul weather on the return trip Friday curtailed my "alternate drive home" which was to include I-84 in eastern CT and then I-90 back west to Springfield.  But I did get in a couple side trips and a slightly "alternate route down". 

On tap for this year, more trips to CT, plus another trip to Maine and a trip to Pennsylvania.  So there will be lots of updates, as time and finances permit.

shadyjay

Wow... this past weekend, I piloted my truck some 800 miles from VT to CT and back, taking a side trip and a "long way home".  So I have lots of updates including:

CT:    I-84, I-95, I-291, US 5, CT 15
RI:    I-95
MA:   I-91, I-95
NH:   I-89, I-93, I-95, NH 101

Enjoy.  Link in the sig.

shadyjay

It has been awhile since I've posted in my thread.  But the road pics haven't stopped coming.  If you haven't checked out my FLICKR page in a while, you've been missing out!

In the past year, I've traveled throughout New York and New England.  And work-related road trips have taken me to Pennsylvania and Ohio in the past couple months.  I've recently added photo galleries for I-80 and I-99 in Pennsylvania, have traveled the entire length of I-87, and I-95 from NYC up to the Augusta, ME area. 

So head on over to my FLICKR page and see what you've been missing!  Lots of railroad-related albums over there too, if that interests y'all.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/

shadyjay

Been awhile, and I hope everyone is getting through the current situation as best as they can.

I decided to take a trip to NYC this past week to experience what its like driving through there with limited traffic and with cheap gas prices.  I filled up the night before, washed my hands thoroughly, did the drive the next day, didn't get out of my vehicle until I returned home, and again washed.  A drive like this is perfect for me to get out of the house and unwind a little.  My route this time took me down 95 South to NY, then 287 to 87 South to the Bronx, then up 278 to 95 to 287 to 684 to Brewster, then 84 East to CT, and 691-66-9 back home. 

Lots of photos.  Head here for the direct link, and expect another trip/update next week!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.