News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeCL

Quote from: ixnay on August 05, 2018, 06:43:44 PM
I found it.  It's after Caspars Lane, but before you go over Main St.  The trick to me was finding that used car lot.  Thanks.

ixnay
lol don't feel bad I had a little hard time myself

TXtoNJ

General question - does anyone know why NYC continued to use all-steel construction for overpasses and the like when the rest of the country had switched to concrete (late '40s-'50s)?

MikeCL

I'm not sure why they don't fix this

SignBridge

shadyjay

Most likely, the insane small text on the right VMS on the pull-through.

MikeCL

Quote from: shadyjay on September 05, 2018, 08:15:41 PM
Most likely, the insane small text on the right VMS on the pull-through.  But this is on the Cross Bronx portion of I-95, which is not part of the Thruway.  Actually, it could be on the Trans-Manhattan Expressway.
I don't think we have a thread for the cross Bronx section here unless I missed it here on taptalk

SignBridge

Shadyjay, point taken. I had not even noticed that small text, probably 'cause it was too small. That's a pretty glaring error on somebody's part. This is the Cross Bronx Expwy on top of the Alexander Hamilton Bridge just before the split.

thenetwork

In the further away shot, it looks like an LED block of lights that are malfunctioning while the rest of the sign is "off".

storm2k

Quote from: MikeCL on September 05, 2018, 08:17:34 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on September 05, 2018, 08:15:41 PM
Most likely, the insane small text on the right VMS on the pull-through.  But this is on the Cross Bronx portion of I-95, which is not part of the Thruway.  Actually, it could be on the Trans-Manhattan Expressway.
I don't think we have a thread for the cross Bronx section here unless I missed it here on taptalk

There is a NYC Roads thread this would be more appropriate for.

AMLNet49

I can't believe it's still like that, that was pointed out a while ago, I didn't think it'd last longer than a day

MikeCL

I was trying to remember where I saw it posted before.. it's so small I'm not sure how it can be not noticed

RobbieL2415

Quote from: MikeCL on September 05, 2018, 05:59:26 PM
I'm not sure why they don't fix this
Hey man, smaller vehicles can see smaller text?  Where have you been? :sombrero:

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

RobbieL2415

Does NYCDOT use signal preemption ANYWHERE? I was in the Rockaways yesterday and it seemed like some intersections with residential streets had their lights times instead of triggered. It was annoying stopping for no one.

MikeCL

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 15, 2018, 10:00:57 PM
Does NYCDOT use signal preemption ANYWHERE? I was in the Rockaways yesterday and it seemed like some intersections with residential streets had their lights times instead of triggered. It was annoying stopping for no one.
I don't think so for the two years I drove around the city I've never seen it.. looks like if it's a intersection with a cross walk it's tied into that with the countdown

Duke87

It sounds like you are talking about actuation (signal phases skip if not needed), not preemption (light instantly changes to give a priority vehicle a green on demand).

NYCDOT doesn't do either, though.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: Duke87 on September 16, 2018, 09:00:34 AM

It sounds like you are talking about actuation (signal phases skip if not needed), not preemption (light instantly changes to give a priority vehicle a green on demand).

NYCDOT uses transit signal priority, but otherwise you're correct.

SignBridge

Aren't all or most traffic signals in NYC still on fixed timers, even in the 21st Century?

MikeCL

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on September 16, 2018, 04:07:36 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on September 16, 2018, 09:00:34 AM

NYCDOT uses transit signal priority, but otherwise you're correct.
What are those bar looking things angled down near most stop lines is that for the transit signal?

MikeCL

Quote from: SignBridge on September 16, 2018, 08:09:31 PM
Aren't all or most traffic signals in NYC still on fixed timers, even in the 21st Century?
On 11th ave it is I know a few around the city are the same.. I've never seen them go out of sync

RobbieL2415

Also, is there a particular reason why you can't get to the Throgs Neck from the Cross Island Parkway coming eastbound?

Alps

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 16, 2018, 10:39:09 PM
Also, is there a particular reason why you can't get to the Throgs Neck from the Cross Island Parkway coming eastbound?
I think it was built so that you'd take the Whitestone if you lived in that little area. Or use other local streets to the Throgs Neck. But what happens is that if the Whitestone is backed up for some reason, you can't divert easily to the Throgs Neck.

MikeCL

Can someone explain this sign to me? Does this mean ez pass is only for certain times at night or discount for night travel? If so not really much stands out for that..

Speaking of that I have no clue why my gps (Waze) wants me to take the PIP to the bridge unless not that I know of that I can bypass the toll I normally get off at Hudson terr. And just take River rd all the way to Weehawken.

odditude

Quote from: MikeCL on September 17, 2018, 01:24:39 PM
Can someone explain this sign to me? Does this mean ez pass is only for certain times at night or discount for night travel? If so not really much stands out for that..

Speaking of that I have no clue why my gps (Waze) wants me to take the PIP to the bridge unless not that I know of that I can bypass the toll I normally get off at Hudson terr. And just take River rd all the way to Weehawken.
(image omitted)

it reads to me that that (road/entrance/whatever) is only usable by E-ZPass holders during the times listed. presumably, the cash booth(s) aren't manned during those times.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: odditude on September 17, 2018, 04:09:57 PM
Quote from: MikeCL on September 17, 2018, 01:24:39 PM

(image omitted)

it reads to me that that (road/entrance/whatever) is only usable by E-ZPass holders during the times listed. presumably, the cash booth(s) aren't manned during those times.

Correct. Out of staters get caught up by this all the time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.