News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-45 south of Houston expansion plans

Started by MaxConcrete, October 24, 2015, 03:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

I noticed that schematics are now online from the recent public meeting

Meeting info and index page
http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/houston/100615.html

Schematic
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/hou/notices/1006150-schematic.pdf

Observations
* This is from NASA 1 to south of FM 518
* 5 southbound main lanes are maintained to south of FM 518, where there will be four main lanes going southbound
* The updated design has a northbound braided ramp, with both the entrance and exit parts of the braided ramp having two lanes
* North of Clear Creek the right-of-way is widened from 300 to 360 feet
* South of Clear Creek the right-of-way is widened from 300 to 320 feet
* Estimated cost: $80 million
* Expected construction start: mid 2017
* The section (FM 518 to 517) south of this section , widening to 8 main lanes, is scheduled to start in 2016 and listed at $104 million

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

The Ghostbuster

Will there be any HOT Lanes along this stretch?

Anthony_JK

From what I see of the schematics, no. Only an additional free lane in each direction.

FreewayDan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 26, 2015, 02:41:39 PM
Will there be any HOT Lanes along this stretch?

None of the HOV lanes in Houston that are two way and non-barrier separated offer SOV Tolling.
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Anthony_JK on October 26, 2015, 09:28:01 PM
From what I see of the schematics, no. Only an additional free lane in each direction.

There's really no need for it in this area, either. This is likely more about hurricane preparation rather than traffic relief, and the lack of toll lanes would suggest that it's being financed primarily through Proposition 1 cash.

Chris

I was browsing through the new Google Earth imagery of Houston, and I noticed how wide the I-45 overpass at FM 528 (NASA Parkway) is. It appears there is space for 6 or 7 lanes in each direction.

This used to be a cloverleaf where FM 528 went over I-45, with I-45 having six lanes. The interchange was rebuilt in 2010 or 2011, with I-45 now passing over FM 528 on a very wide bridge. The bridge is nearly 230 ft wide according to Google Earth.

Are there plans for a local-express system, or some kind of Katy Freeway-like configuration?

MaxConcrete

Bids were opened on the first section of the expansion south of NASA 1, 3.4 miles from FM 517 to FM 518. The winning bid was $122 million.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/bidtab/10063201.htm

Estimate   $114,385,419.57   % Over/Under   Company
Bidder 1   $121,744,991.33   +6.43%   WILLIAMS BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION CO., INC.
Bidder 2   $123,204,960.83   +7.71%   PULICE CONSTRUCTION, INC.
Bidder 3   $123,270,706.81   +7.77%   FLATIRON CONSTRUCTORS, INC.
Bidder 4   $145,919,061.49   +27.57%   WEBBER, LLC
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Work is progressing very quickly on the section between Beltway 8 and NASA 1. The full width of main lane concrete (5-1H-5) is complete from just north of Bay Area Blvd northward. From just north of Bay Area Blvd southward, most of the asphalt base is ready for paving. Photos taken today.

Looking north at Clear Lake City Blvd. The north and southbound traffic is on the right, which will be the future northbound lanes. On the left is the southbound main lanes, with paving complete.
Full size http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/20161023-45s-0004-2560.jpg

North of Bay Area Blvd. Full size http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/20161023-45s-0014-2560.jpg
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

The 5 southbound lanes were opened in their final configuration on February 12.

When I drove on it yesterday, there were still a lot of concrete fragments being agitated by the traffic. It sounded like I was driving through fine gravel. (No window chips, fortunately).

This effect seems to occur when new concrete opens and the top surface must be getting broken up into fine pieces of concrete.

For the northbound lanes, construction crews just need to finish the barrier for the HOV lane, then restripe and remove the barriers. Then the project is done. Work has already started on the next section further south.

larger http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/AARoads/20170218-0005-1200.jpg
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Bids were opened today for the section south of NASA Parkway. The winning bid was $99.8 million. No surprise, the winner was Williams Brothers construction, which has been doing all the recent work on the corridor
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/bidtab/04043001.htm

Estimate   $95,014,209.79           % Over/Under   Company
Bidder 1   $99,783,476.68           +5.02%   WILLIAMS BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION CO., INC.
Bidder 2   $109,438,620.41        +15.18%   WEBBER, LLC
Bidder 3   $118,577,718.20        +24.80%   ZACHRY CONSTRUCTION CORPORATION
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Plutonic Panda

Thank you for the photo updates. Houston has some really nice freeways. I sure wish Caltrans would invest in the Los Angeles freeways like TxDot does for Houston and Dallas.

sparker

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 04, 2017, 08:11:21 PM
Thank you for the photo updates. Houston has some really nice freeways. I sure wish Caltrans would invest in the Los Angeles freeways like TxDot does for Houston and Dallas.

Most CA cities have residents who would fight the eminent domain needed for significant expansion tooth & nail; such projects would be tied up in litigation for extended periods of time.  So far they've been fortunate in this respect with the I-5 expansion SE of I-605; if plans for similar expansion extend farther north into Montebello, Commerce, or L.A. itself, expect to see a substantial level of uproar from both private and local public sectors.   

Plutonic Panda

Not to take this off subject but I think Caltrans will eventually do that as it needs it. I'd come off as crazy if I put a number on the amount of added lanes I think that some freeways in LA need, but I would love to see all of the freeways around DTLA rebuilt and widened with the deficiencies corrected.

Thing is whether or not it's in Texas or California, somehow someway they need to find middle ground putting these nimbys at bay and some eminent domain would be likely but they can also get creative like with what TxDot did with the new 635 reconstruction.

Though TxDot seeks to neglect San Antonio and Austin, Dallas and Houston have some incredible freeway projects and it seems to me like it's just a willingness of the state department investing in the infrastructure rather than a case of nimbys which I'm sure California has more of than Texas. Texas just seems to spend a hell of a lot more money on freeways and it shows.

Full disclosure, I am a 23 years old actor who lives in LA and relies on transit for the time being but I am about as anti transit as they come even fully understanding some of the benifits transit offers, I just cringe with jealousy when I see the investment TxDot makes vs Caltrans. :(

MaxConcrete

Photos of the dedication were posted today on the TxDOT-Houston Twitter feed. (Scroll down about 6 items). The ramp to NASA 1 was closed and the ceremony was on the ramp.

https://twitter.com/TxDOTHoustonPIO
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

mrsman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 05, 2017, 12:53:16 AM
Not to take this off subject but I think Caltrans will eventually do that as it needs it. I'd come off as crazy if I put a number on the amount of added lanes I think that some freeways in LA need, but I would love to see all of the freeways around DTLA rebuilt and widened with the deficiencies corrected.

Thing is whether or not it's in Texas or California, somehow someway they need to find middle ground putting these nimbys at bay and some eminent domain would be likely but they can also get creative like with what TxDot did with the new 635 reconstruction.

Though TxDot seeks to neglect San Antonio and Austin, Dallas and Houston have some incredible freeway projects and it seems to me like it's just a willingness of the state department investing in the infrastructure rather than a case of nimbys which I'm sure California has more of than Texas. Texas just seems to spend a hell of a lot more money on freeways and it shows.

Full disclosure, I am a 23 years old actor who lives in LA and relies on transit for the time being but I am about as anti transit as they come even fully understanding some of the benifits transit offers, I just cringe with jealousy when I see the investment TxDot makes vs Caltrans. :(

There is no need to be anti-transit.  We can support building more roads and more transit to account for population growth and the expansion of our cities.  We should not starve our road budgets to support transit, but some types of transit service do make sense and should be provided, within reason, of course.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: mrsman on July 06, 2017, 05:30:12 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 05, 2017, 12:53:16 AM

There is no need to be anti-transit.  We can support building more roads and more transit to account for population growth and the expansion of our cities.  We should not starve our road budgets to support transit, but some types of transit service do make sense and should be provided, within reason, of course.
I'm anti transit for myself. If other people want to subject themselves to the negatives of public transit, it's a win-win. More people packed like sardines and less people on the road. Better news for people like me who are either fortunate enough to have a car or want to out of choice.

MaxConcrete

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

I assume this project is just to build the two flyover ramps that have been missing from the I-45 & I-610 interchange on the SE side of Houston, right? It doesn't look anything like a complete interchange re-build. The Eastbound I-610 to Northbound I-45 flyover ramp looks like it will be a couple miles in length.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 07, 2018, 11:42:27 AM
I assume this project is just to build the two flyover ramps that have been missing from the I-45 & I-610 interchange on the SE side of Houston, right? It doesn't look anything like a complete interchange re-build. The Eastbound I-610 to Northbound I-45 flyover ramp looks like it will be a couple miles in length.

You are correct, this project adds the two missing connection ramps and does not change anything else in the interchange. I agree, the EB 610 to NB 45 ramp will be around 1.5 to 2 miles long.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Bids were opened today for the next segment. With this job, there will be 9 miles under construction from NASA bypass to FM 1764 (cutoff to Texas City). All work in progress and this job are rebuilding the existing 3x3 to be 4x4, and adding some auxiliary lanes.

This turned out to be an expensive contract (20.5% over estimate), with the lowest bid $230.5 million for 5.1 miles, which is $45 million per mile.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/bidtab/06053001.htm

Estimate   $191,354,507.34   % Over/Under   Company
Bidder 1   $230,477,520.47   +20.45%   WILLIAMS BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION CO., INC.
Bidder 2   $244,938,856.58   +28.00%   BALFOUR BEATTY INFRASTRUCTURE, INC.
Bidder 3   $245,814,912.33   +28.46%   WEBBER, LLC
Bidder 4   $252,253,496.52   +31.83%   JOHNSON BROS. CORPORATION, A SOUTHLAND COMPANY
Bidder 5   $253,950,428.50   +32.71%   PULICE CONSTRUCTION, INC.
Bidder 6   $257,957,252.52   +34.81%   FLUOR HEAVY CIVIL, LLC
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Henry

While this is a good start, let's not forget that the Pierce Elevated might still be removed further up the road. If I were in charge of TXDOT, I would keep that part of I-45 as is, no matter how redundant it may be.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

nolia_boi504

Quote from: Henry on June 06, 2018, 09:14:45 AM
While this is a good start, let's not forget that the Pierce Elevated might still be removed further up the road. If I were in charge of TXDOT, I would keep that part of I-45 as is, no matter how redundant it may be.
It's not a "might" situation. It will be removed around 2022 I believe. I cringe at the thought of 45 traffic slowing as drivers try to maneuver the sharp turns on the flyovers connecting to either sides of the new alignment...

Nexus 5X

MaxConcrete

Quote from: nolia_boi504 on June 06, 2018, 12:13:00 PM
It's not a "might" situation. It will be removed around 2022 I believe. I cringe at the thought of 45 traffic slowing as drivers try to maneuver the sharp turns on the flyovers connecting to either sides of the new alignment...

The removal won't occur until the entire downtown rebuilding project is done. Of course, it has not even started yet, and probably won't start until 2020, and construction could take a long time depending on funding.

So I'm thinking 2025 at the earliest for the Pierce removal.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Plutonic Panda

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Houston much, why is the Pierce removal bad?

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 06, 2018, 09:40:02 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Houston much, why is the Pierce removal bad?

It would have removed a significant routing of a major Interstate highway (I-45) around the western edge of downtown Houston.

Thankfully, HGAC and TDOT found a way to reroute it via the I-69 and I-10 ROWs, so at least capacity is retained.

I understand wanting to reconnect downtown to some sections immediately next to it, but a what cost to those who use these facilities?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.