News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The North Carolina Interstate Numbering Prediction Thread.

Started by CanesFan27, February 21, 2016, 04:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2016/02/my-prediction-on-numbers-for-two-new.html

It appears that North Carolina will be petitioning AASHTO for approval on the numerical designations for the two new Interstate corridors within the state.  I've decided to make a prediction that the US 70 corridor will be I-46 and the 64/17 corridor as I-50.  What's your thoughts, feel free to comment here or in the comment section of the blog!

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

wdcrft63

Quote from: NE2 on February 21, 2016, 06:00:09 PM
I-64N and I-64S.
Absolutely not.

NCDOT doesn't seem to care whether interstate numbers repeat state highway numbers, so I-42 is just as likely for US 70 as I-46.

ARMOURERERIC

CanesFan27

I-64N and I-64S.

SPUI, not a fractional interstate?  Your wit and sarcasm are slipping, sir!

CanesFan27

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 21, 2016, 06:04:38 PM
I-64N and I-64S.
Absolutely not.

NCDOT doesn't seem to care whether interstate numbers repeat state highway numbers, so I-42 is just as likely for US 70 as I-46.

The other question is will Interstate (not corridor) signs be permitted to be posted along the Clayton Bypass.  (The more I think about it the less likely I see the Goldsboro Bypass being allowed to be signed.)

Darkchylde

WashuOtaku

Tom958

Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 21, 2016, 06:33:29 PM
I-64N and I-64S.

Indeed. I-40N and I-40C are the obvious way to go.

mvak36

I-64N and I-64S.

Well if we're doing that, i will guess 9 and three quarters :D
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CanesFan27

CanesFan27

Quote from: Tom958 on February 21, 2016, 11:08:04 PM
I-64N and I-64S.

Indeed. I-40N and I-40C are the obvious way to go.

Actually this could work.  This would be part of an I-40 network or system of routes similar to the I-69 system or how the suffixes routes of I-80 were called out west.

froggie

Given how this thread has evolved, it should probably go under "Fictional Highways".

Henry

Quote from: froggie on February 22, 2016, 10:27:12 AM
Given how this thread has evolved, it should probably go under "Fictional Highways".
I think so too.

As for the new designations, I'd probably do I-46 and I-48. That is, if I-44 is not approved, in which case I-46 can be adopted instead. Although I-40N/C/S would be another good way to go.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CanesFan27

How so - the two highways are real and the designations are forthcoming.  It's not like oh I want there to be an Interstate from Charlotte to Seattle. It's predicting the eventual designation of a highway.  Which for the most part is pretty rare.  Predicting what the outcome will be is not fictional fantasy.  If some want to goof off about it - well can't help that.

english si

How much of the non-fictional I-41 threads was speculation about numbering and/or moaning about the numbering and proposing different numbering? A lot!

Biggest* problem with I-40N/C is a lack of even 3di numbers for whatever loops that will be likely to happen because NC (eg one off the R-HR interstate going via Greenville).

I will, however, predict I-740 for the US70 corridor upgrade, and I-46 for the Raleigh-Hampton Roads route.

*followed closely by the lettered suffixes

Alps

I thought I-50 made more sense for the US 64 corridor going out to Columbia and the coast. This proposed diagonal route to the Seven Cities just seems like a solution in search of a problem. But you could add to the value of this being a two-digit route by extending it down US 1 on the other side of Raleigh. Maybe the corridor goes to Charlotte to finally connect NC's two largest cities with a single Interstate? I mean heck, at that point, continue it west on US 74 to Columbus. Now you have a nice route length that really does useful things, and it could even be numbered in the 30s instead of the 40s or 50s.
Anyway, I think I-50 is an appealing number to want to use, but the use of an x0 doesn't make sense from just Raleigh to Norfolk. If that's the extent of the route, I would say I-54 is more likely. As for the southern corridor, as I've said on Facebook, that's probably I-340.

orulz

I think they should not make the Raleigh-Norfolk and Raleigh-Morehead City interstates consecutive even numbers, instead set one aside for an eventual interstate conversion of the US 264 corridor from Raleigh to Greenville - just in case, you know. :)

I-40: Raleigh-Wilmington.
I-44: Raleigh-Morehead City.
I-46: Raleigh-Greenville.
I-50: Raleigh-Norfolk.

Throw in I-30 for the southern tier freeway from Asheville-Charlotte-Wilmington via US 74.

wdcrft63

Well, it's not much, but here is something definite. Mr. Durwood Stephenson, the Director of the 70 Corridor Commission, says that "we don't really care" what number is assigned to the US 70 upgrade, and no specific number has been identified. He confirms that they do expect some designation to come from the AASHTO meeting in May.

The Commission meets at Lagrange on March 17, and perhaps they will discuss the numbering at that time.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: orulz on February 22, 2016, 02:32:46 PM
I think they should not make the Raleigh-Norfolk and Raleigh-Morehead City interstates consecutive even numbers, instead set one aside for an eventual interstate conversion of the US 264 corridor from Raleigh to Greenville - just in case, you know. :)

Throw in I-30 for the southern tier freeway from Asheville-Charlotte-Wilmington via US 74.

If US 264 is ever upgraded to interstate standards, it should just be a I-395 or another 3di number from I-95. From the center of Raleigh to the center of Greenville along US 264 is 84 miles, much too short for a 2di.

orulz

Or it could be a 3di spur from the Raleigh-Norfolk corridor. Call it I-150 then.

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Nature Boy on February 22, 2016, 06:16:51 PM
Quote from: orulz on February 22, 2016, 02:32:46 PM

If US 264 is ever upgraded to interstate standards, it should just be a I-395 or another 3di number from I-95. From the center of Raleigh to the center of Greenville along US 264 is 84 miles, much too short for a 2di.

There has been some interest in seeking an interstate designation for US 264, although there's nothing like the organized efforts on behalf of US 70.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Highway-264-Could-Become-I-264-185621961.html

The Ghostbuster

It seems North Carolina is competing with Texas for the most Interstate Designations in a single state. And why is this thread still in the Southeast board, and not in Fictional Highways? Can one of the administrators get back to me on that? Thank you.

BrianP

I think this is fine where it is.  These designations are expected to be petitioned for.  So it sounds like they likely will be made future interstates in the near future.

Put me down for:
US 70 - odd I-x40
US 64/17 - I-52

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.