News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

MassPike AET discussion

Started by SidS1045, June 13, 2016, 11:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Had to bump this thread because my neighbor brought up an interesting point. This morning before dawn he had to drive the Pike from West Springfield to NY State, and he does not have EZ Pass.  I told him about toll by plate, and he mentioned that it was so foggy that he couldn't see 20 feet in front of him.  Because it was so foggy, will he get a freebie or do the transponders read plates through pea soup fog?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 01, 2017, 04:44:03 PM
Had to bump this thread because my neighbor brought up an interesting point. This morning before dawn he had to drive the Pike from West Springfield to NY State, and he does not have EZ Pass.  I told him about toll by plate, and he mentioned that it was so foggy that he couldn't see 20 feet in front of him.  Because it was so foggy, will he get a freebie or do the transponders read plates through pea soup fog?
Yes. 20 feet was an exaggeration; if it was that thick, he'd have had to pull over for awhile. So the cameras will be able to see.

SectorZ

Quote from: Alps on June 01, 2017, 08:26:04 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 01, 2017, 04:44:03 PM
Yes. 20 feet was an exaggeration; if it was that thick, he'd have had to pull over for awhile. So the cameras will be able to see.

Given the most dense fog can typically get is about 200 feet, that should be enough for those cameras to get a clear shot. Keeping in mind fog that dense is incredibly rare.

I could see the potential for either torrential rain, hail, or heavy snow from possibly interfering with it.

kefkafloyd

The cameras have some infrared sensitivity and the LED "flashes" they use take advantage of that, which helps in low-viz conditions.

In other AET news, the Sumner Tunnel plaza demolition progress has been quite fast. The plaza was torn down quite quickly in early May and they're making some good progress on the local intersection reconfiguration.

bob7374

cl94

Yeah, I drove through the plazas at 1, 3, and 4 yesterday and it's hard to tell there was even a toll plaza at 1 and 3. 4 still has the parking lot.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

KEVIN_224

What does Full Beneficial Use Milestone mean? I've never heard of that whatsoever.

Rothman

I am tired of the work zone speed limit where the western MA mainline plaza was.  Last time I was through there, there was no reason for the slowdown.  Work looked totally completed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

shadyjay

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 27, 2017, 10:34:41 PM
What does Full Beneficial Use Milestone mean? I've never heard of that whatsoever.

My guess would be lanes in their final width and configuration.  Basically, everything done except punch list items, or items not directly related to the pavement itself, such as landscaping, lighting, etc. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.