News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

MassPike AET discussion

Started by SidS1045, June 13, 2016, 11:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 12, 2016, 11:14:31 AM
Quote from: spooky on December 12, 2016, 07:32:17 AM
Someone should change the title of this thread to "MassPike AET Discussion".

FTFY

They're the same.  I don't get it.

Mass Pike is back to being rendered as two words, no?

spooky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 12, 2016, 10:35:12 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 12, 2016, 11:14:31 AM
Quote from: spooky on December 12, 2016, 07:32:17 AM
Someone should change the title of this thread to "MassPike AET Discussion".

FTFY

They're the same.  I don't get it.

Mass Pike is back to being rendered as two words, no?

Looks like he changed the title of his post. I think only the OP or a mod/admin can change the actual thread title.

Pete from Boston

Now that all the toll booths are gone, is there any plan to split the bridge and tunnel tolls between both directions of traffic?  I seem to recall this being discussed. There may be a small additional infrastructure cost, but for equity I think it's worth it.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 31, 2016, 10:41:01 AM
Now that all the tall boots are gone, is there any plan to split the bridge and tunnel tolls between both directions of traffic?  I seem to recall this being discussed. There may be a small additional infrastructure cost, but for equity I think it's worth it.

1. The tunnels in Boston (US 1, MA 1A) are already tolled 2-way, with the toll in between half the original toll and the full amount of the original toll. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting you correctly, though.

2. Autocorrect?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on December 31, 2016, 10:45:26 AM
Now that all the tall boots are gone, is there any plan to split the bridge and tunnel tolls between both directions of traffic?  I seem to recall this being discussed. There may be a small additional infrastructure cost, but for equity I think it's worth it.

2. Autocorrect?
Why, you never saw toll boots before? Here is how it looks..

Pete from Boston

1. The tunnels in Boston (US 1, MA 1A) are already tolled 2-way, with the toll in between half the original toll and the full amount of the original toll. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting you correctly, though.

2. Autocorrect?

I did not realize that had already happened, and yes, lazy proofreading on my part.

Tobin also?

Rothman

Although I know the free portion of the Pike was meant to be temporary, the new tolls still seem steep to me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 31, 2016, 01:40:13 PM

2. Autocorrect?

I did not realize that had already happened, and yes, lazy proofreading on my part.

Tobin also?

Yes, the Tobin, the Sumner/Callahan, and Ted Williams are all tolled both ways now, with the one-way toll rate being exactly half the old rate.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

bob7374

Here's what remains of the former toll plaza for I-90/Mass Pike traffic exiting in Weston for I-95/MA 128 looked like yesterday (1/1/17):

More photos of the Weston site can be found in the AET section of my I-90 in Mass. Photo Gallery, now located at my new roads site, MalmeRoads.Net:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i90photos.html#aet

Please redirect your browsers as I will be no longer updating my sites on Gribblenation, due to it impending closure.

bob7374

MassDOT has posted the presentation slides it did for a public meeting about the toll demolition project status for Exits 9 to 13. Includes photos of the current (Stage 2) conditions and the planned final appearance of each former toll plaza:
https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/aet/presentation_011117.pdf

Beeper1

Looks like they intend to keep the toll plaza admin building at the I-495 interchange.  I wonder what it will be used for?

kefkafloyd

There's still staff needed for the Turnpike, 495 is probably a good a place as any to do administrative work.

cl94

Hasn't been much visible work done at Lee or West Stockbridge since the initial demolition was finished. I drove through this afternoon and it all still looks pretty similar. Building still up at Lee, E-ZPass lanes still up in Stockbridge. There's an asinine speed limit reduction through both work zones.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Just went through there yesterday myself.  Wondering why they're making that cut into the hill beyond the old plaza site EB.  Seems unnecessary.  Never had a problem getting around slow traffic on the incline if adding a climbing lane is the idea.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beeper1

The plan is to put a weigh station on the EB side at the former toll plaza site and the blasting is to provide room for the acceleration lane coming out of that.

Rothman

kefkafloyd

Quote from: cl94 on January 16, 2017, 07:44:20 PM
Hasn't been much visible work done at Lee or West Stockbridge since the initial demolition was finished. I drove through this afternoon and it all still looks pretty similar. Building still up at Lee, E-ZPass lanes still up in Stockbridge. There's an asinine speed limit reduction through both work zones.

The Lee toll building is now gone as of last weekend. It was still up in late February, so it was a recent elimination.

SidS1045

Quote from: spooky on December 13, 2016, 09:39:45 AMLooks like he changed the title of his post. I think only the OP or a mod/admin can change the actual thread title.

I changed the subject line on my initial post, but it hasn't changed throughout the thread...yet.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

bob7374

Quote from: kefkafloyd on March 07, 2017, 11:24:20 AM
Quote from: cl94 on January 16, 2017, 07:44:20 PM

The Lee toll building is now gone as of last weekend. It was still up in late February, so it was a recent elimination.
Here's the recently posted MassDOT presentation slides that show the progress in removing the toll plazas at Exits 1 and 2:http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/aet/presentationD1_022317.pdf

vdeane

What's that parking area thing near exit 1?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on March 10, 2017, 01:20:01 PM

Truck inspection.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on March 10, 2017, 01:20:01 PM
You mean the truck pull-off area or the lot for the Turnpike employees?

kefkafloyd

Something that may be interesting only to me is whether or not they take down the Big Red Sign at Lee. With the new barrier up it'd be impossible to cross over after the tollbooth. It's also, AFAIK, the only Big Red Sign in all of Massachusetts.

roadman

Quote from: kefkafloyd on March 10, 2017, 03:56:48 PM
Something that may be interesting only to me is whether or not they take down the Big Red Sign at Lee. With the new barrier up it'd be impossible to cross over after the tollbooth. It's also, AFAIK, the only Big Red Sign in all of Massachusetts.
The Big Red Sign in Lee is scheduled to come down when the sign structure is removed as part of the West Stockbridge to Auburn sign replacement project presently under construction.  It will not be replaced with a new sign.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rothman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.