News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Missing" speed limits

Started by The High Plains Traveler, August 01, 2016, 12:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

75 mph is relatively rare in Utah, since most rural interstates are now 80. 75 is now used on rural interstates that couldn't get the bump to 80 because they had too much traffic or were too mountainous. 75 is currently used on exurban stretches of I-15 near Brigham City and Payson, I-80 west of Salt Lake City, and I-84 near Morgan, as well as some mountainous stretches of I-15 (and I think I-70 as well) in central Utah.

oscar

Quote from: Eth on May 25, 2018, 07:32:22 PM
I can't speak for Hawaii's other islands, but in my travels on Oahu last week, while 25 and 35 mph limits were plentiful, I don't think I ever saw any 30s or 40s. 45 seemed to be as high as it got on non-freeways (and then only in rural areas). 50 and 60, in addition to 55, could be found on the Interstates; I don't think I ever saw anything over 60 (I didn't drive any of H-3, so I can't rule out higher limits there).

60 is as high as it gets in Hawaii, and even that was the aftermath of a spectacularly-failed speed camera program, which created public support for raising freeway limits from 55. There is one non-freeway in Hawaii (part of HI 200 on the Big Island) with 60 mph limits.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Super Mateo

Running through Illinois:
5:  Parking garages
10:  Private areas, parking garages
15:  Parking lots
20:  Normal residential streets, school zones
25:  Downtowns, through residential streets
30:  Rural speed trap roads, crowded arterials
35:  Urban arterials
40:  Urban arterials
45:  Arterials with few stoplights or running through forest preserves
50:  Newly built up areas that used to be 55
55:  Middle of nowhere roads, urban freeways
60:  Urban tollways
65:  Freeways in between urban and rural, limited access non-interstates
70:  Rural freeways and tollways

I've seen all multiples of 5 less than 75 used in at least one place in the state.

ftballfan

Michigan had no full time 60mph speed limits until M-55 through Wellston was bumped from 55 to 60 last year (M-55 east (to west of Cadillac) and west (to US-31) of Wellston is 65)

ChezeHed81

Delaware has (2) 60 MPH zones established January 2017.  The first is on Route 1 between the Puncheon Run Connector (exit 97) and Trap Shooters Rd (unnumbered RIRO interchange).  The second is the Puncheon Run Connector itself, which connects Route 1 to US-13 at the southern edge of Dover.

Sources:

webny99

50 mph and 60 mph are pretty much non existent in New York, although 50 seems to be popping up here and there. There's also a 60 mph advisory speed for the S curve on NY* 531.

Quote from: cl94 on August 09, 2016, 11:21:29 PM
Outside of New York City, 25 is relatively rare in New York... Notably, the Town of Clarence uses 25 for all subdivisions.

I know this is old, but it's not true now so I have reason to doubt it was true then. 30 mph is common in villages (and cities) but pretty much anything else suburban/residential is posted 25 mph. 20 mph is much less common - I can't think of one 20 mph zone offhand - but 25 mph neighborhood streets are basically the standard in every suburb, not just Clarence.

*PLEASE, spell check, would you quit converting "NY" to "MY"?  :banghead:

webny99

Quote from: GaryV on August 11, 2016, 04:46:26 PM
Quote from: cl94 on August 11, 2016, 11:42:10 AM
I think Michigan has higher limits if 60+ on a couple of 2-lane roads.
Do you know of any examples?  Because I've been trying to think of any 60 limits in MI.  Everything else from 25 to 70 is there, but I don't know about 60.  (Other than construction zones where no workers are present.)

I know this is old, too, but US 2 in the Upper Peninsula is posted 65 mph.

Which is great, by the way. NY 104 from Webster to Wolcott, among other super-twos in New York, would be excellent with a 65 mph limit.

GaryV

Quote from: webny99 on May 28, 2018, 11:14:54 PM
Do you know of any examples?  Because I've been trying to think of any 60 limits in MI.  Everything else from 25 to 70 is there, but I don't know about 60.  (Other than construction zones where no workers are present.)

Which is great, by the way. NY 104 from Webster to Wolcott, among other super-twos in New York, would be excellent with a 65 mph limit.
Michigan allowed for 65 mph just recently.  I was glad to be able to drive 65 on US-2 (legally) when I was there in March.  Not all the 2-lane highways up north are at 65 though.  Some have too many hills or turns; others need engineering studies to be able to change where the no-passing zones are.
The change happened at the same time some Interstates and other freeways went up to 75 mph.

Roadsguy

PA is "missing" 75 on several stretches of road that deserve it. :sombrero:

Though as mentioned earlier, PA's only missing speed limit of all standard limits 70 and below is 60 mph. Since non-freeways are never more than 55 in PA, it'd be easy to find one.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Quote from: kphoger on November 30, 2017, 01:16:20 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 29, 2017, 10:11:28 PM
Quote from: renegade on November 29, 2017, 09:55:42 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 11, 2016, 12:36:16 PM
Quote from: 8.Lug on August 11, 2016, 12:19:02 PM
I'm not really sure I understand this thread. Do you mean that you find it odd that states "skip" over numbers? Because I actually find it odd that states waste their time running through a whole scale of 5's when I see people vary more than 5mph just trying to maintain the same speed. I think 40, 50 and 60mph speed limits are pointless. It should just be 35, 45, 55, 65, etc - just like how your speedometer is labeled. No need for anything in between, just like how the metric world only uses the "aughts" with no 5's in-between.

Wow, do you think all cars have the 5s labeled on the speedometer but not the 0s?  I'm not sure I've ever owned a car like that.

You did if you had a car or truck built in the early-to-mid '80s.

Even then, not all of them did. The Toyota Camry used the 0's, for example.

My family used to own an '85 Corolla, and I used to own an '87 Corolla, and I can confirm that both of them had the 0s and not the 5s.
Toyota's switching back to the listing of 0s (rather than 5s) occurred for the 1984 model year (earlier than most other manufacturers & I originally thought).  Such coincided with their switching from 0-85 mph to 0-120 mph calibrations.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Quote from: webny99 on May 28, 2018, 11:14:54 PM

FINALLY!

Now if only Wisconsin would do the same for some of our rural state/US highways.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

vdeane

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 29, 2018, 08:54:54 AM
PA is "missing" 75 on several stretches of road that deserve it. :sombrero:

Though as mentioned earlier, PA's only missing speed limit of all standard limits 70 and below is 60 mph. Since non-freeways are never more than 55 in PA, it'd be easy to find one.
I saw a 60 in PA once... it wasn't a permanent one though, but rather a work zone speed limit on the 70 section of I-380.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.