News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Missing" speed limits

Started by The High Plains Traveler, August 01, 2016, 12:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

Quote from: roadfro on August 03, 2016, 01:22:55 AM
Nevada typical speed limits (which, except for school areas, are by no means official):

15 - School zones
20 - **not common**
25 - Residential streets; some minor collectors & downtown streets; School Crossing zones
30 - Some minor collectors & downtown streets
35 - Collectors; some major 2-lane arterials
40 - Arterials (not incredibly common)
45 - Most major 3-lane arterials
50 - Some minor rural highways; some major arterials (e.g. McCarran Blvd in Reno/Sparks)
55 - Many rural state highways
60 - Some rural highways (especially in mountainous/curvy areas)
65 - Urban freeways; some rural highways
70 - Rural US highways and rural Interstates
75 - Rural Interstates only
80 - **Legal maximum - not yet posted (to my knowledge)**

Lots of rural state highways with 70 limits, at least in the northern half of the state.

vtk

Quote from: delstein on August 01, 2016, 11:26:35 PM
I can think of specific 20 (mostly school zones), 25 and 35-70 zones in Ohio, but no 30 zone comes to mind. I've definitely seen it posted, though.

I can't think of any 30 zones in Ohio either. And I'm not sure I've seen one.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

I have very rarely seen 70 km/h posted.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pink Jazz

Yes, Arizona doesn't have any 60s or 70s.  I personally think several Phoenix area freeways can easily be raised to 70, and the southern portion of I-17 I think can handle 60.

Also, there are no non-Interstate highways in Arizona posted higher than 65.

lordsutch

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2016, 12:53:11 PM

It's a very common speed limit in France. I can't think of any examples I've seen in Canada off-hand though, despite being pretty close to 45 mph which presumably was as common there pre-metrication as it remains in the U.S.

7/8

Quote from: lordsutch on August 09, 2016, 01:57:15 PM

It's a very common speed limit in France. I can't think of any examples I've seen in Canada off-hand though, despite being pretty close to 45 mph which presumably was as common there pre-metrication as it remains in the U.S.

It's not as common as 60 or 80, but there are still a fair number of 70 zones. Some that I know of off-hand in Waterloo Region, Ontario:

Maple Grove Rd, Fountain St, and Speedsville Rd in Cambridge*
Benjamin Rd west of Westmount Rd in the Township of Woolwich: Google Street View

*I've posted some of these odd-looking 70 km/h speed limits signs here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11045.msg2159922#msg2159922

vdeane

Isn't 70 all over the place in Québec?  It seems to be their default speed limit for urban freeways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

I've seen 70 in a few places in Ontario. Not common, but I have seen it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

epzik8

The only 60 MPH sign I've seen in Maryland lately is I-83 northbound between the I-695 split and Shawan Road.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

SignGeek101

Quote from: cl94 on August 09, 2016, 08:30:12 PM
I've seen 70 in a few places in Ontario. Not common, but I have seen it.

Not common here either, but there is one right near my house. I don't think I've ever seen a 40 sign in Manitoba, it tends to jump from 30 to 50.

1995hoo

Quote from: epzik8 on August 09, 2016, 10:45:34 PM
The only 60 MPH sign I've seen in Maryland lately is I-83 northbound between the I-695 split and Shawan Road.

I believe most of the Intercounty Connector is posted at 60, although it's been a while since I've been on there.

Regarding 70 km/h, I'm pretty sure I've seen that on autoroutes in the Montreal area.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cl94

Outside of New York City, 25 is relatively rare in New York. Most developed areas and residential neighborhoods are 30. Notably, the Town of Clarence uses 25 for all subdivisions. In the Albany area, 20 might be more common than 25, as Round Lake, Fort Ann and certain neighborhoods in Troy and neighboring parts of Rensselaer County use it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: lordsutch on August 09, 2016, 01:57:15 PM

It is not hard to find in Spain. In fact I know one which has a speed camera just after the sign :sombrero:.

I have yet to see any 100 km/h (62 mph) or 120 km/h (75 mph) limits in France.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 09, 2016, 01:29:31 PM
Yes, Arizona doesn't have any 60s or 70s.  I personally think several Phoenix area freeways can easily be raised to 70, and the southern portion of I-17 I think can handle 60.

Meanwhile, out here in the Great Lakes, 55 is the highest speed limit you'll see on any road that isn't an expressway! heh
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

cl94

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 11, 2016, 09:34:28 AM

Meanwhile, out here in the Great Lakes, 55 is the highest speed limit you'll see on any road that isn't an expressway! heh

That's how it is in most of the east. Of course, New Brunswick allows 100 km/h (roughly 62) on 2 lane undivided.

I think Michigan has higher limits if 60+ on a couple of 2-lane roads.

peterj920

Minnesota has been steadily increasing their speed limits to 60 on rural 2 lane roads.  Other than that you're right about 55 being the highest for rural highways that aren't freeway or expressway in the region. 

bzakharin

Quote from: cl94 on August 11, 2016, 11:42:10 AM

That's how it is in most of the east. Of course, New Brunswick allows 100 km/h (roughly 62) on 2 lane undivided.

I believe NJ maxes out at 50 on 2-lane roads and 55 on non-freeway multi-lane roads (and 65 on freeways).
Edit: and then of course I find a counterexample 55 on a 2-lane road right after posting:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9499572,-74.4840236,3a,75y,114.91h,83.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc5xJn7LQqvC3Fl2wh9tBwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1

8.Lug

I'm not really sure I understand this thread. Do you mean that you find it odd that states "skip" over numbers? Because I actually find it odd that states waste their time running through a whole scale of 5's when I see people vary more than 5mph just trying to maintain the same speed. I think 40, 50 and 60mph speed limits are pointless. It should just be 35, 45, 55, 65, etc - just like how your speedometer is labeled. No need for anything in between, just like how the metric world only uses the "aughts" with no 5's in-between.
Contrary to popular belief, things are exactly as they seem.

1995hoo

Quote from: 8.Lug on August 11, 2016, 12:19:02 PM
I'm not really sure I understand this thread. Do you mean that you find it odd that states "skip" over numbers? Because I actually find it odd that states waste their time running through a whole scale of 5's when I see people vary more than 5mph just trying to maintain the same speed. I think 40, 50 and 60mph speed limits are pointless. It should just be 35, 45, 55, 65, etc - just like how your speedometer is labeled. No need for anything in between, just like how the metric world only uses the "aughts" with no 5's in-between.
All three of our cars' speedometers show the multiples of 10 mph (10, 20, 30, on up to 160). Unlike some older cars, 55 isn't highlighted except in the '88 RX-7. The metric portions show multiples of 20 km/h.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Wow, do you think all cars have the 5s labeled on the speedometer but not the 0s?  I'm not sure I've ever owned a car like that.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bzakharin

It seems to me that steps of 5 are not common on any given road. For example, 2-lane roads in NJ usually go 25 to 40 to 50 or else 25 to 35 to 45. Freeways go from 45 to 55 to 65. Only the non-freeway divided highways and other multi-lane roads tend to have 45, 50, and 55 zones on the same road.

kphoger

Quote from: bzakharin on August 11, 2016, 12:42:39 PM
It seems to me that steps of 5 are not common on any given road. For example, 2-lane roads in NJ usually go 25 to 40 to 50 or else 25 to 35 to 45. Freeways go from 45 to 55 to 65. Only the non-freeway divided highways and other multi-lane roads tend to have 45, 50, and 55 zones on the same road.

I believe this thread is about states that entirely avoid using a certain number, not about individual roads or highway types.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Quote from: 1 on August 01, 2016, 12:18:10 PM
60 in CT, RI, VT, NH, ME, and NY. (MA has a 60 section.)
70 in ME.
Does Connecticut even have 50?  I distinctly remember US 7 off the freeway not even having 45, but I am sure that US 1 east of East Haven someplace gets higher than that.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: upstatenyroads on August 01, 2016, 02:35:23 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 01, 2016, 12:18:10 PM
60 in CT, RI, VT, NH, ME, and NY. (MA has a 60 section.)
70 in ME.

I know NY had 60 MPH posted pre NMSL days because I've seen a couple of SPEED LIMIT 60 signs in the classic NYSDOT "Lehay" type font lying in scrap yards. I have no idea why New York doesn't post 60 MPH now, I've always thought there should be a 60 MPH advisory limit on NY 49 WB where the parallel road to the Thruway departs the ROW to the northwest.
The GSP had 60 from Toms River to the NY Thruway pre NMSL and it was only 65 from Toms River to Cape May.  I have no idea if originally the section where the three intersections were was 65 at the time or not.

The NJ Turnpike according to my dad was only 65 south of Bordentown, but I distinctly remember as a kid being all 60 as the old VMS speed limit sign was a red neon 60 digit with a green back lit SPEED LIMIT sign above it.

I-78, I think was 60 and the part from I-287 to Drift Road in Watchung was only short lived at that as that section opened just a short time before the NMSL was placed in effect.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

Quote from: cl94 on August 11, 2016, 11:42:10 AM

Do you know of any examples?  Because I've been trying to think of any 60 limits in MI.  Everything else from 25 to 70 is there, but I don't know about 60.  (Other than construction zones where no workers are present.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.