News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

More Kmart stores closing

Started by LM117, September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 18, 2018, 10:38:20 AMI know of at least one Walmart in the Chicago area that has a Burger King in it.
The Walmart in Skokie has one.

Flint1979

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 18, 2018, 11:43:06 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 18, 2018, 10:38:20 AMI know of at least one Walmart in the Chicago area that has a Burger King in it.
The Walmart in Skokie has one.
I think that might be it.

KEVIN_224

Walmart #2965 of Newington, CT has a Subway. The Cromwell, CT store has a Dunkin' Donuts in it.

Flint1979

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 18, 2018, 09:48:07 PM
Walmart #2965 of Newington, CT has a Subway. The Cromwell, CT store has a Dunkin' Donuts in it.
There are some in the Chicago area with Dunkin Donuts in them too.

Big John

DaBigE

Quote from: Big John on December 04, 2018, 11:10:17 PM
Shopko is closing 39 stores.  Locations not listed in this article: https://www.retaildive.com/news/debtwire-shopko-explores-restructuring/543527/?fbclid=IwAR0d0rDEaAsqSNmNqWRYiCOIawlxUdDDSaHT41rrDaQArVxehVsKoctaiHw

I'm surprised it took this long for their next round. I rarely see a lot of people in them (still more than any Sears or Kmart, though). The older stores aren't kept up quite as well - ceiling tiles that should have been replaced a decade ago, stock is hit or miss, and their prices are usually higher than Walmart and Target. I envision many of the closures will be their more urban locations where they have more fierce competitors. I could see the Madison, WI market losing at least one more store (East Towne) and maybe Monona, as well as some consolidation up in the Fox Valley. I think they'll likely hold on to many of their "Hometown" stores in the more rural locations.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Scott5114

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 18, 2018, 10:38:20 AM
One big drawback of having a McDonald's location is that a restaurant inside a Walmart can't operate a drive-thru window. McDonald's does probably about half their business in the drive-thru. It seems like Subway is the go to restaurant for the inside of a Walmart more so than McDonald's anymore though. I know of at least one Walmart in the Chicago area that has a Burger King in it.

I know this is an old post, but the McDonald's in the Walmart in Lindsay, OK has a drive thru.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

On a somewhat related note, I see U-Haul is buying some old K-Marts to turn into storage units.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on December 05, 2018, 08:42:17 AM
On a somewhat related note, I see U-Haul is buying some old K-Marts to turn into storage units.
Good use for them - the high ceilings would mean they could install effective fire suppression systems.

thenetwork

That's what U-Haul is doing to the Kmart in Grand Junction, CO.  Oddly enough, there is another large U-Haul self storage less than 2 miles down the street on North Avenue.  Not sure if they will merge or remain separate.

Flint1979

I was in the Kmart in Clio, Michigan last night and walked around. I wasn't shopping there I just wanted to stop in and see what the store looked like. I did buy a pop from there on my way out just so I can say I made a purchase at Kmart. When I was walking around it seemed like an early 1990's type of store, the walls were white with sections of yellow. The entire store was dated like all Kmart's are since I can't remember the last time they opened a store was and this Kmart hasn't been remodeled since it opened I can tell. The floor had a large crack in it that ran through much of the store in the center.

For the first time though I noticed that all Kmart stores only have one entrance and exit to the store where Meijer and Walmart usually have two, Target also usually has one entrance and exit like Kmart. I've seen some Walmart's like that but not many and can't think of a Meijer that is like that. The store was stocked well though and doesn't have any signs of closing and had a decent amount of people in there. This Kmart is across I-75 from a Walmart and there is a Meijer at the next exit north (Birch Run) so I'm kind of surprised it was as busy as it was. When I went through Walmart's lot (didn't go in the store) the parking lot had twice as many cars in it as Kmart's did.

Flint1979

I noticed that at the old Super Kmart on Telegraph, south of 8 Mile in Detroit. Kroger has been buying some old Kmart's too.

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 05, 2018, 12:55:01 PM
I was in the Kmart in Clio, Michigan last night and walked around. I wasn't shopping there I just wanted to stop in and see what the store looked like. I did buy a pop from there on my way out just so I can say I made a purchase at Kmart. When I was walking around it seemed like an early 1990's type of store, the walls were white with sections of yellow. The entire store was dated like all Kmart's are since I can't remember the last time they opened a store was and this Kmart hasn't been remodeled since it opened I can tell. The floor had a large crack in it that ran through much of the store in the center.

For the first time though I noticed that all Kmart stores only have one entrance and exit to the store where Meijer and Walmart usually have two, Target also usually has one entrance and exit like Kmart. I've seen some Walmart's like that but not many and can't think of a Meijer that is like that. The store was stocked well though and doesn't have any signs of closing and had a decent amount of people in there. This Kmart is across I-75 from a Walmart and there is a Meijer at the next exit north (Birch Run) so I'm kind of surprised it was as busy as it was. When I went through Walmart's lot (didn't go in the store) the parking lot had twice as many cars in it as Kmart's did.
It's usually the Super Walmarts/Targets/Meijers that have two entrances and exits.

busman_49

I was in that store twice, two summers ago.  Out of all the Kmarts I visited that summer, it was certainly one of my favorites.

Flint1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2018, 01:14:38 AM
One big drawback of having a McDonald's location is that a restaurant inside a Walmart can't operate a drive-thru window. McDonald's does probably about half their business in the drive-thru. It seems like Subway is the go to restaurant for the inside of a Walmart more so than McDonald's anymore though. I know of at least one Walmart in the Chicago area that has a Burger King in it.

I know this is an old post, but the McDonald's in the Walmart in Lindsay, OK has a drive thru.
That Walmart looks so tiny.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 05, 2018, 12:57:53 PM

It's usually the Super Walmarts/Targets/Meijers that have two entrances and exits.

At least with Walmart and Target, they've done away with "Super", "Heartland" or whatever brand they tried giving the larger stores.  Nearly all of Walmart's new stores have two entrances, even their smaller stores.  I think Target had an era of 2 entrances for larger stores, but mostly returned to a single entrance format.

Flint1979

Quote from: busman_49 on December 05, 2018, 12:58:17 PM

I was in that store twice, two summers ago.  Out of all the Kmarts I visited that summer, it was certainly one of my favorites.
My favorite Kmart is the one in Waterford. The place looks like it hasn't been remodeled since the 1940's I thought wow this is actually kind of cool. I've always found the one in Waterford to be a strange store even on the outside it doesn't look like a typical Kmart. I think that one stays in business though because there aren't any Meijer or Walmart stores within 3 or 4 miles of that store and I'm thinking that's how the one in Marine City stays open too.

Scott5114

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 05, 2018, 12:58:43 PM

That Walmart looks so tiny.

It's not a Supercenter. It's from an experimental program Walmart was doing to make larger stores before they invented the Supercenter concept, thus the McDonald's, but it's big enough (and the town of Lindsay is small enough) that Walmart hasn't felt the need to upgrade it to a full Supercenter.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tchafe1978

The former Kmart in Platteville, will also getting changed into a U-haul self storage and truck rental. The Kmart closed in March of last year. The interior of the store will be changed into self storage units and retail space for moving related products. The city rejected a plan to build storage units outside in the parking lot, however.

webny99

the McDonald's in the Walmart in Lindsay, OK has a drive thru.

Anyone else having problems with this link?
It's giving me a "500 - that's an error" message.

US71

Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2018, 05:25:48 PM

No problems here (just tried it)

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU3UconU9e8

Remember when Montgomery ward and Sears used to been rivals as in this tractor commercial back in 1992. Wow today when you think about buying lawnmowers we tend to think of the Home Depot and Lowes being rivals for the current lawnmower models

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-YTH22V46-CARB-22-HP-V-twin-Hydrostatic-46-in-Riding-Lawn-Mower-with-Mulching-Capability-Kit-Sold-Separately-CARB/1000368433

https://www.homedepot.com/s/Tractor?NCNI-5

US71

Quote from: bing101 on December 05, 2018, 06:48:31 PM

Remember when Montgomery ward and Sears used to been rivals as in this tractor commercial back in 1992. Wow today when you think about buying lawnmowers we tend to think of the Home Depot and Lowes being rivals for the current lawnmower models

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-YTH22V46-CARB-22-HP-V-twin-Hydrostatic-46-in-Riding-Lawn-Mower-with-Mulching-Capability-Kit-Sold-Separately-CARB/1000368433

How do Ace Hardware or True Value survive?

thenetwork

Quote from: US71 on December 05, 2018, 07:11:15 PM
Quote from: bing101 on December 05, 2018, 06:48:31 PM

How do Ace Hardware or True Value survive?

In my neck of the woods they are either in towns not big enough for a Walmart, etc... or are in denser neighborhoods where there isn't space for a megastore.

webny99

Quote from: US71 on December 05, 2018, 05:34:48 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2018, 05:25:48 PM
No problems here (just tried it)

I think it might be a mobile issue. Works fine on the computer, but not the phone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.