Let's get a 2016-17 NFL playoff thread going

Started by epzik8, January 08, 2017, 05:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

NFL Playoffs! Who will win Super Bowl LI??? We'll fins out February 5 in Houston!

The twelve lucky teams who made the cut:

AFC 1: New England Patriots (AFC East Champions) 14-2
AFC 2: Kansas City Chiefs (AFC West Champions) 12-4
AFC 3: Pittsburgh Steelers (AFC North Champions) 11-5
AFC 4: Houston Texans (AFC South Champions) 9-7
AFC 5: Oakland Raiders (Wild Card 1) 12-4
AFC 6: Miami Dolphins (Wild Card 2) 10-6

NFC 1: Dallas Cowboys (NFC East Champions) 13-3
NFC 2: Atlanta Falcons (NFC South Champions) 11-5
NFC 3: Seattle Seahawks (NFC West Champions) 10-5-1
NFC 4: Green Bay Packers (NFC North Champions) 10-6
NFC 5: New York Giants (Wild Card 1) 11-5
NFC 6: Detroit Lions (Wild Card 2) 9-7

The Raiders, Dolphins and Lions have already been eliminated and the final wild card game, Giants-Packers, is in progress.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

74/171FAN

Giants are now eliminated after losing 38-13 to the Packers.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Probably would have been better to start this before Saturday.  Not really any good games this weekend, kind of disappointing.

Henry

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 08, 2017, 09:14:53 PM
Giants are now eliminated after losing 38-13 to the Packers.
So this means that we Bears fans now have to root for Dallas to beat them in the Divisional round.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kurumi

We'll eventually find out Robert Kraft hired the yacht OBJ and his buddies partied on in Miami, and sent the invite
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Buck87

Dallas and Green Bay will be meeting each other in the playoffs for the 8th time (DAL leads 4-3 currently.) That will tie Cowboys/Rams, Steelers/Broncos and 49ers/Giants for the most frequent playoff matchup in NFL history.

epzik8

Okay, I'm biased as a Redskins fan but...WOOHOO THE COWBOYS ARE OUT!!!!!!!!
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

74/171FAN

As a Packers fan, I still do not understand how Aaron Rodgers keeps making these plays at the end of games.  Great catch by Jared Cook for sure.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Thing 342

I'm a Falcons fan, but this year they seem like one of those teams that inevitably get run over by a team on a magical run like the Packers, so I think I know how I'll be spending Superbowl Sunday.

1995hoo

I hate Dallas, so Green Bay winning is about the only time in any sport I like hearing "Crosby scores."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dvferyance

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 15, 2017, 09:37:12 PM
I hate Dallas, so Green Bay winning is about the only time in any sport I like hearing "Crosby scores."
I disagree. I am so tired of Green Bay. I am tired of New England and Pittsburgh so I am going for Atlanta becasue they are the only team left that is not there every year. It's pathetic every year it's always the same old same old in the playoffs it's not good for the league. In the AFC it's always the Patriots if not in the Super Bowl at least in the AFC Championship game and if it's not them it's the Steelers and of course they are the same 2 teams we are stuck with again this year.

Alps

Quote from: dvferyance on January 16, 2017, 05:57:31 PM
I disagree. I am so tired of Green Bay. I am tired of New England and Pittsburgh so I am going for Atlanta becasue they are the only team left that is not there every year. It's pathetic every year it's always the same old same old in the playoffs it's not good for the league. In the AFC it's always the Patriots if not in the Super Bowl at least in the AFC Championship game and if it's not them it's the Steelers and of course they are the same 2 teams we are stuck with again this year.
Packers: Won 1997 and 2011, lost 1998. Hardly a recent history of "same old every year". Falcons lost 1999. Steelers have four appearances starting in 1996.

dvferyance

Quote from: Alps on January 16, 2017, 10:33:57 PM
Packers: Won 1997 and 2011, lost 1998. Hardly a recent history of "same old every year". Falcons lost 1999. Steelers have four appearances starting in 1996.
I am referring to the NFL postseason in general not just the super bowl. The Packers have been in the playoffs every year since 2009 they still even made the playoffs in 2013 when Rodgers was out half the season and went a miserable 8-7-1. Almost never does an 8-7-1 team make the playoffs but they were still there. I don't even have to go on with the Patriots they are there every year going as far as at least the AFC championship game and the Steelers almost every year make the playoffs as well. I should mention that the AFC qb in the super bowl since 2004 has been either Brady, Manning or Rothlisburger. One exception being Joe Flacco in super bowl 47. Manning is now retired and well guess what who are the 2 AFC qbs left? Of course Brady and Rothlisburger. This is just getting to be so fatiguing.

nexus73

GB-Atl: Shootout City!  Pit-NE: Crack The Safe!  Those are the gameflows I see coming next Sunday.  No way would I bet on who wins but the over for GB-Atl looks to be a good proposition if it is 65 or under.  These two offenses are on fire and neither D is that good as we saw in the regular season matchup between these two teams.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

I was just happy to get some decent games going after the wild card round.  I'll admit though, it was a lot of fun to watch the Falcons smack around the Sea Hawks...since I really don't care for the other three teams left I'll be rooting for them.

LM117

At least the Super Bowl was different last year, though it was embarrassing as hell to watch my Panthers take the ass whippin' that they did. The Panthers have been a total shit-show this season. :ded:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kurumi

With a PaPa Bowl I could probably sit back and just enjoy the game, but probably end up rooting for the Packers. Pats are a little annoying as of late (even though they're the original home team). In the future, I guess it will be marginally nicer if the Pats have won n+1 Super Bowls instead of n. But this year... ehh.

What I'd like to see (however unlikely) is a Bills-Vikings Super Bowl. Somebody has to win that one.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

nexus73

Quote from: kurumi on January 17, 2017, 10:47:21 PM
With a PaPa Bowl I could probably sit back and just enjoy the game, but probably end up rooting for the Packers. Pats are a little annoying as of late (even though they're the original home team). In the future, I guess it will be marginally nicer if the Pats have won n+1 Super Bowls instead of n. But this year... ehh.

What I'd like to see (however unlikely) is a Bills-Vikings Super Bowl. Somebody has to win that one.

That matchup would be Super Bowl magic!  The only one better would be two no-shows in the form of Detroit and Cleveland.  If we can wind up with a tremendous World Series between the Cubs and Indians, why not dream of the equivalent for a pro pigskin title matchup?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on January 16, 2017, 10:33:57 PM

This is nothing compared to the run from 1986/7 to 1994/5 where four teams won nine Super Bowls, all NFC (and four AFC teams lost those nine Super Bowls, two accounting for seven losses).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on January 17, 2017, 10:53:56 PM
Quote from: kurumi on January 17, 2017, 10:47:21 PM

That matchup would be Super Bowl magic!  The only one better would be two no-shows in the form of Detroit and Cleveland.  If we can wind up with a tremendous World Series between the Cubs and Indians, why not dream of the equivalent for a pro pigskin title matchup?

Rick

Wouldn't that technically be Arizona vs Cleveland?   The Cardinals haven't won a championship since 1947 and the Lions last was in 1957.  Granted Arizona has actually made it to a Super Bowl and almost won.

jeffandnicole

Doing what we did last year, we're gonna watch the Superbowl up in NYC.  Turns out rates are very cheap that weekend (at least when I booked it), and a particular bar we like has unlimited draft beers and a large plate of wings for starters for $25.  We don't care the team that's playing...it's a good, relatively cheap for NYC Weekend trip!

The rate we got was under $100, just off Times Square.  Looking around the Hilton website, I came upon an offer for a deeply discounted point offer.  So now we're going to stay Sat & Sun night in NYC for absolutely free! :-)

Henry

I'm definitely rooting for a Pittsburgh-Atlanta Super Bowl, because I hate the Packers, and I do not like the Patriots either.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Buck87

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 19, 2017, 07:48:42 AM

Rick

Wouldn't that technically be Arizona vs Cleveland?   The Cardinals haven't won a championship since 1947 and the Lions last was in 1957.  Granted Arizona has actually made it to a Super Bowl and almost won.

If you want it to be the teams that have gone the longest without a championship it would be Cardinals vs Lions. The Browns last championship was in 1964.

dvferyance

Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2017, 10:36:16 AM

Rick

If you want it to be the teams that have gone the longest without a championship it would be Cardinals vs Lions. The Browns last championship was in 1964.
That was the old Browns who are now the Baltimore Ravens and they have won 2 super bowls. The Current Browns team as only been around since 1999.

spooky

Quote from: dvferyance on January 19, 2017, 02:34:05 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2017, 10:36:16 AM

Rick

That was the old Browns who are now the Baltimore Ravens and they have won 2 super bowls. The Current Browns team as only been around since 1999.

Not according to the NFL. The Browns history stays with the Browns, who just happened to be inactive for three years around the same time that the Ravens came to the NFL as a new franchise. Oh and the 1996 Ravens just happened to have a lot of the same players as the 1995 Browns. [/sarcasm]

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.