News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Is KC really going to remove i-70 downtown?

Started by silverback1065, February 18, 2017, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 03, 2017, 01:11:26 PM
was the giant roundabout like design never a true consideration? (it's a one way loop with more lanes)

Man, it's been so long since I first read about it, that I really have no idea whether it was an official consideration or just a roadgeek idea.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on January 02, 2018, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 03, 2017, 01:11:26 PM
was the giant roundabout like design never a true consideration? (it's a one way loop with more lanes)

Man, it's been so long since I first read about it, that I really have no idea whether it was an official consideration or just a roadgeek idea.

I doubt that was ever serious consideration. The amount of weaving would be insane.

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

silverback1065

Quote from: mvak36 on January 25, 2018, 01:26:13 PM
Starting next week, they will close WB 70 to start construction on the new WB Lewis & Clark Viaduct.

http://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/bureaus/kcMetro/pdf2018/LewisandClarkClosing.pdf
http://fox4kc.com/2018/01/23/2-year-closure-of-westbound-lewis-and-clark-bridge-on-i-70-set-to-begin-next-week-kdot-says/

wait what's the final design on that stretch? are they getting rid of the death curve?
it's also weird that there's no ramp for 35 south to 670 west

mvak36

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 25, 2018, 02:33:43 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on January 25, 2018, 01:26:13 PM
Starting next week, they will close WB 70 to start construction on the new WB Lewis & Clark Viaduct.

http://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/bureaus/kcMetro/pdf2018/LewisandClarkClosing.pdf
http://fox4kc.com/2018/01/23/2-year-closure-of-westbound-lewis-and-clark-bridge-on-i-70-set-to-begin-next-week-kdot-says/

wait what's the final design on that stretch? are they getting rid of the death curve?
it's also weird that there's no ramp for 35 south to 670 west
Not sure what the final design looks like. They are getting rid of the Westbound death curve. Not sure about the eastbound one. Maybe once they get funding for it.

route56

Based on what I'm  reading of the plans for the L&C westbound Viaduct replacement, the removal of the westbound 35 MPH "Death Curve" is not a part of this project.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

silverback1065

Quote from: route56 on January 31, 2018, 01:04:41 PM
Based on what I'm  reading of the plans for the L&C westbound Viaduct replacement, the removal of the westbound 35 MPH "Death Curve" is not a part of this project.

doesnt this project make the death curve permanent ?

route56

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 31, 2018, 06:39:00 PM

The plans do show a future re-aligned westbound I-70; however, the plans indicated that the future I-70 is to be constructed "by others." It does seem that they can't fix the curve until they have the money to replace the eastbound bridge.

(Interestingly, the westbound bridge is the newer of the two bridges, yet it is being replaced first. They don't build 'em like they used to  :cool:)

EDIT/UPDATE!:
http://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/subsites/lewis-and-clark/LCViaductI70/PDFs/Online-Meeting-FINAL.pdf

According to this KDOT presentation, the re-alignment of the westbound I-70 curve is Phase 3 of the overall plan. What is currently being let is Phase 1.

I don't know when they will have the money, but one KDOT Public Affairs Officer got fired for a negative comment about the lack of funding  :popcorn:
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

mvak36

Quote from: route56 on January 31, 2018, 06:59:43 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on January 31, 2018, 06:39:00 PM

The plans do show a future re-aligned westbound I-70; however, the plans indicated that the future I-70 is to be constructed "by others." It does seem that they can't fix the curve until they have the money to replace the eastbound bridge.

(Interestingly, the westbound bridge is the newer of the two bridges, yet it is being replaced first. They don't build 'em like they used to  :cool:)

EDIT/UPDATE!:
http://www.ksdot.org/Assets/wwwksdotorg/subsites/lewis-and-clark/LCViaductI70/PDFs/Online-Meeting-FINAL.pdf

According to this KDOT presentation, the re-alignment of the westbound I-70 curve is Phase 3 of the overall plan. What is currently being let is Phase 1.

I don't know when they will have the money, but one KDOT Public Affairs Officer got fired for a negative comment about the lack of funding  :popcorn:

I think if Kansas raises the income tax levels back to what they had before the Brownback cuts, they will hopefully not raid the road fund anymore to balance the budget.

Interstate 69 Fan

IMO, they should just get rid of the viaduct entirely, and re-sign I-670 as I-70. Seems logical.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

silverback1065

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on February 12, 2018, 02:23:40 PM
IMO, they should just get rid of the viaduct entirely, and re-sign I-670 as I-70. Seems logical.

that's what i've been saying. also tie US 169 into i-35 cosign them until exit 234.  Sign what's north of that us 69, existing us 69 gets to be a state road of a random number. Remove that stupid death curve, and tie that into independence and sign it as us 24 only.  also take 69 of metcalf, it makes no sense being routed on that road anyway.

KC

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 12, 2018, 04:56:16 PM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on February 12, 2018, 02:23:40 PM

that's what i've been saying. also tie US 169 into i-35 cosign them until exit 234.  Sign what's north of that us 69, existing us 69 gets to be a state road of a random number. Remove that stupid death curve, and tie that into independence and sign it as us 24 only.  also take 69 of metcalf, it makes no sense being routed on that road anyway.

KCK is a big proponent of keeping the viaduct and I-70 intact. Plus, there needs to be a route for trucks to the fairfax area. Connecting 169 to I-35 with free flow ramps is being studied (same study that is looking into decommissioning the north leg of the loop).

froggie

Quote from: KCKCK is a big proponent of keeping the viaduct and I-70 intact.

I know they're in the middle of rehabilitating the viaduct, but if I-70 gets moved to I-670, I think it'd be better to just remove the viaduct altogether and bring that corridor down to grade.  Would actually improve access to the West Bottoms since there's no ramps along the viaduct.

QuotePlus, there needs to be a route for trucks to the fairfax area.

There would be, either via whatever route replaces the viaduct (as I mentioned), or via the Central Ave between its 670 ramps and its 70 interchange.

QuoteConnecting 169 to I-35 with free flow ramps is being studied (same study that is looking into decommissioning the north leg of the loop).

Which would be done by relocating the Broadway Bridge...part of the same study.

mvak36

Quote from: froggie on February 21, 2018, 06:03:42 PM
Quote from: KCKCK is a big proponent of keeping the viaduct and I-70 intact.

I know they're in the middle of rehabilitating the viaduct, but if I-70 gets moved to I-670, I think it'd be better to just remove the viaduct altogether and bring that corridor down to grade.  Would actually improve access to the West Bottoms since there's no ramps along the viaduct.

QuotePlus, there needs to be a route for trucks to the fairfax area.

There would be, either via whatever route replaces the viaduct (as I mentioned), or via the Central Ave between its 670 ramps and its 70 interchange.

QuoteConnecting 169 to I-35 with free flow ramps is being studied (same study that is looking into decommissioning the north leg of the loop).

Which would be done by relocating the Broadway Bridge...part of the same study.

I wonder what will happen if KCMO decides to get rid of the loop (I still think it's a bad idea because that means there will be twice as much traffic on the south part of the loop and no room to expand it, but that's just my two cents). I'm not sure why Kansas started rebuilding the viaduct before KCMO decides on the future of the North loop (maybe safety reasons???, but I think the project was on the books way before the North Loop talk started).

I did email KDOT about when they're planning on doing the other parts of the viaduct but still haven't heard back.

silverback1065

my idea wouldn't remove the viaduct, it would just make it a surface street.

The Ghostbuster

Wouldn't a surface street be horribly congested? How much traffic uses that portion of Interstate 70 anyway?

froggie

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 22, 2018, 10:00:11 AM
my idea wouldn't remove the viaduct, it would just make it a surface street.

Because of the nature of that viaduct, can't have the latter without the former.

silverback1065

in mo it would be a surface street, 70 would be on 670, 670 would be gone, the surface street would be signed as us 24. it would be elevated from 35 out to the death curve. 

Gnutella

The only reason why I don't want them to remove I-70 in downtown Kansas City is because I don't want the EXIT 2A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-J-K-L-M-N-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y stuff.

UAN51

@Gnutella Not removing I-70 only keeps the alphabet exit numbers. I think you mean you want to remove I=70 from the north loop. Removing I-70 potentially removes those exit numbers.

@silverback1065 I doubt US 24/US 40 would be kept if the north loop becomes at-grade intersections. I think the city will take over maintenance of the road instead of MoDOT and US 24/US 40 would move with I-70 to where I-670 currently is.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.