News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

As long as they got the designations correct, it's not an error, period.  That said, whether or not to label them, when they're not signed as such in the field plus the confusion factor that mightyace noted, is debatable...

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on December 18, 2009, 07:03:22 AM
As long as they got the designations correct, it's not an error, period.  That said, whether or not to label them, when they're not signed as such in the field plus the confusion factor that mightyace noted, is debatable...

True, but I'm definitely against showing them for another reason.  I now have a Motorola Droid phone using the Google Android platform.  It has a GPS navigation function in with the Droid version of Google maps.  I tested it on a recent trip around this area and the directions told be to turn on the hidden highway instead of the signed one.  :pan:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Scott5114

Trying to get from Tulsa to Independence, KS? Better take US-3300.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

xonhulu

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 06, 2010, 09:44:48 PM
Trying to get from Tulsa to Independence, KS? Better take US-3300.

The 33rd branch route of US 0?  It is near US 400.

Alex

corco

Michael

okroads

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

corco

CL

Infrastructure. The city.

WNYroadgeek

Duke87

Okay, I know Pennsylvania loves to name towns weird things like "Moon", "Pillow", or "Bird in Hand", but this is taking it to a whole new level.

Random Arabic! :spin:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

well, you know how those Amish are with their strange hobbies in the absence of electricity,  "learn Arabic" is just a few notches higher than "churn butter", apparently.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

On that note- this popped up north of Laramie a while ago. The Japanese is Japanese for "Wyoming" which is interesting because about a month ago Google showed a small community called "Wyoming" in the same spot. I have no idea what the town Test- Wrong Locality is all about

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on May 08, 2010, 12:17:55 PMTest- Wrong Locality

site of a battle between the US Army and the Wrong Locality Sioux in 1886.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

Rhode Island is also in on the new Arabic trend:

And then there's this:

The city of Milford, CT is indeed at that location, but I've never heard it referred to as "Milford City". The "(balance)" part makes no sense whatsoever.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jdb1234

i was looking at Louisville, KY and since when did US 7 and US 50 get extended to Kentucky?

mapman

Quote from: Duke87 on May 12, 2010, 11:40:02 PM
The city of Milford, CT is indeed at that location, but I've never heard it referred to as "Milford City". The "(balance)" part makes no sense whatsoever.

"Milford" refers to the central portion of Milford, CT, while "Milford City (balance)" refers to the balance, or rest, of Milford.  See, simple!    :sombrero:

Now, excuse me while I head to bed, or, as Google calls it, "House (balance)." 

Scott5114

"(balance)" usually refers to a sort of fiction invented to make Census figures come out more useful, especially in the case of consolidated city-counties. Here's the Wikipedia entry on "balances". Pretty much how the equation works is "Balance + population of any cities independent of the consolidated government = county population total".

Not sure what that has to do with Milford, but the article section above gives several examples of (balance)s.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NWI_Irish96

US 150 is apparently also secretly US 7 for its entire length.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 18, 2010, 06:42:25 AM
"(balance)" usually refers to a sort of fiction invented to make Census figures come out more useful, especially in the case of consolidated city-counties. Here's the Wikipedia entry on "balances". Pretty much how the equation works is "Balance + population of any cities independent of the consolidated government = county population total".

Not sure what that has to do with Milford, but the article section above gives several examples of (balance)s.
I think what it has to do with here is Connecticut's town structure, which is the primary method of local government. The state is divided into 169 towns that in many cases don't correspond to what we would think of as cities in most states. Instead of having cities with corporate limits surrounded by unincorporated areas, every piece of land in the state is under the jurisdiction of a town-there are no unincorporated areas. A town is more like one main city with other smaller towns put together in one single governmental unit. So I think here it is distinguishing between the main part of Milford and the "balance" is the rest of the town which is part of the town of Milford(officially called a city-a distinction which makes no difference in this case), but not part of the central city.

Alps

Google's rendition of ME 92 bugged me up good.  92 EB doesn't turn left to get back to 1 - it goes all the way down the peninsula and ends at a dirt driveway with little warning.  Not the best way to spend a frantic night of driving...

TheStranger

Google Maps's view of the harbor area in Los Angeles shows Route 47 as making an odd left turn onto Anaheim Street to reach Alameda Street, instead of correctly simply continuing straight on Henry Ford Avenue to reach Alameda:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Henry+Ford+Ave+%26+E+Anaheim+St,+Long+Beach,+CA&sll=33.780681,-118.23864&sspn=0.019012,0.027595&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=E+Anaheim+St+%26+N+Henry+Ford+Ave,+Los+Angeles,+California+90744&z=16
Chris Sampang

Alex

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 18, 2010, 08:12:40 AM
US 150 is apparently also secretly US 7 for its entire length.

It appears that U.S. 7 makes its way westward via the Bel Air and Hickory Business Loops of U.S. 1 in Maryland!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.