News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Purcell, OK "business route"

Started by bugo, June 13, 2017, 03:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Green Street, OK 74 and former OK 74G make a loop right through Purcell. The part that was once OK 74G has apparently been decommissioned for several years. Why was this never Business I-35?

Scott5114

Oklahoma simply never designated any business routes for I-35 or I-44, for whatever reason. I suspect it has to do with the ever-present US-66 and US-77 being nearby, but I have no proof of this.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

Most likely, many states saw business routes as a way to get rid of the old parallel U.S. Routes while keeping a reasonable designation for the through-city surface route. So where the U.S. Route stayed, there was no need for a business route.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

Quote from: NE2 on June 13, 2017, 12:20:59 PM
Most likely, many states saw business routes as a way to get rid of the old parallel U.S. Routes while keeping a reasonable designation for the through-city surface route. So where the U.S. Route stayed, there was no need for a business route.

I agree with this explanation. I believe–although I may be incorrect–that US-66 was routed onto the bypasses that later became co-signed as I-40. Unlike in other states, US-66 did not "jump off" the interstate at each town. I'm guessing that as the bypasses were built, the old highway became US-66 City or US-66 Business and when I-40 came through it became I-40 Business.

On I-44, the bypass was built as one fell swoop as the Turner and Will Rogers turnpikes, so US-66 never left its old alignment, thus there was no US-66 Business. US-77 didn't have a lot of bypasses built along it until I-35 was built.

rte66man

The 1960 OK official shows US66 along 11th St.  the 1961 official shows it concurrent with I44.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

NE2

The official action moving US 66 onto Skelly was November 3, 1959: http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/memorial/legal/us66.htm
It's possible that the 1960 map was already in production, or that signs were not changed until that year.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Quote from: compdude787 on June 15, 2017, 01:27:31 PM
Look, he changed it from Liberty Parkway to Creek Turnpike on OSM. Lay off the guy, OK?

Newp. It's still marked that way.

compdude787

Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2017, 02:19:38 PM
Look, he changed it from Liberty Parkway to Creek Turnpike on OSM. Lay off the guy, OK?

Oh, never mind then. He did change part of it, but not all of it. I don't have the slightest clue why he insists on that being the name of the road when it is CLEARLY called Creek Turnpike.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: compdude787 on June 15, 2017, 02:33:12 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2017, 02:19:38 PM

Oh, never mind then. He did change part of it, but not all of it. I don't have the slightest clue why he insists on that being the name of the road when it is CLEARLY called Creek Turnpike.

I don't know why he insists on it either. It's marked on ONE sign (despite his claims, there is NO sign on the westbound turnpike with that name on it) and does not appear on the OTA or ODOT websites. It pops up in the meetings of a Broken Arrow council meeting. It is not a commonly known name of the road. He also claims that the local radio announcers refer to it using that name but that is also a lie. I don't know if he's just a weirdo or if he likes getting out of towners lost looking for this mythical "Liberty Highway". I think I'm going to get an account for that mapping website and change US 75 south to "American Wars Highway".

bugo

You have been insisting that there was a sign just south of the I-44 interchange. This was proven to be a lie. Now you're adjusting the goalposts. I haven't been WB west of the Muskogee Turnpike in a while but that sign was simply not there the last time I was there.

US71

I still haven't figured out WTF you two are talking about.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

Baloosa is doing his best to make OSM useless.

bugo

Scott5114

Just because there's a law and a sign saying "Officer Vice Lieutenant Corporal Sergeant Jebediah Y. Spoonhandler Memorial Highway" doesn't mean it should be labeled as such on maps.

I mean, if you're going to follow naming laws blindly, you should show an I-94/I-69 concurrency in Illinois, no?

bugo

Wikipaulia should go to this link and add every single memorial designation to every highway in the state. If he doesn't then he is a hypocrite.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/memorial/pdfs/pln_mhb_2015.pdf

cl94

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 17, 2017, 02:27:40 PM
Just because there's a law and a sign saying "Officer Vice Lieutenant Corporal Sergeant Jebediah Y. Spoonhandler Memorial Highway" doesn't mean it should be labeled as such on maps.

This. Nobody refers to I-87 as the "Adirondack Veterans Memorial Highway", even though that is the official name of the road. There are two signs along the length of the thing (one at each end). Maps should reflect what is posted on the ground. If Joe Q. Tourist comes through and looks for the "Liberty Parkway" because of what you changed on the mapping software, they're going to get lost because the damn thing is not signed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.