News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 12 Baraboo Bypass

Started by US 12 fan, June 23, 2017, 11:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcharlie

Construction Update - I drove through the southern end of the construction zone on Saturday.  Traffic between the end of the existing 4 lane and Ski-Hi road is being routed on the future Eastbound (Southbound) lane.  It crosses over at Ski High road to the new pavement for the Westbound (Northbound) lane.  Ski-Hi road is not accessible right now. The pavement from the new Eastbound section is being laid and connects to the new pavement on the existing section Eastbound.  Where the old and new meet, Traffic cuts off on the east side under where the future Westbound lane will connect the old and new.  It looks like traffic will need to be routed on to the new section before this connection can be completed. The future Westbound lane between the existing 4 lane and Ski-Hi Rd has no pavement yet and is in the process of being graded.  Hope that's not too confusing, but should have pictures up in a day or so. 

midwesternroadguy

Several local media accounts had said that the bypass would open by today, but alas, there's lots of mainline concrete and shoulders to be paved on both ends.  Now, Madison media report an opening scheduled for 8/11, as do the VMSs advertise a "new traffic pattern" on 8/11.   Clearly with over a mile of concrete to lay and cure, if it does open, it will not be complete/fully open --with two way traffic on just one set of lanes at the northern and southern ends. 

It can't happen soon enough.   

JREwing78

Businesses prepare as Baraboo bypass set to open Aug. 11
http://www.channel3000.com/news/businesses-prepare-as-baraboo-bypass-set-to-open-aug-11/599733136

There's no way the south end of the project will be complete by the 11th. Way too much torn up at this point - it'll be two-way on the EBD (SBD) lanes while the WBD (NBD) lanes are completed later on in the year.

As far as the north side goes, the EBD (SBD) side can be done very quickly, if it's genuinely not done yet. When I was up there last night, I saw no staging in place to bounce traffic to and from the EBD side; my assumption was (and is) that WisDOT intended to have both carriageways open on the north side on the 11th. What might end up happening is a temporary detour for WBD traffic while they tie in the new construction to the existing roadway.

JREwing78

Quote from: GeekJedi on July 30, 2017, 01:26:33 PM
Quote from: US 12 fan on July 30, 2017, 09:57:16 AM
I understand that Hwy 159 is eventually going to become an extension of Hwy 136. Have they put up new signs for that yet? Or are they going to wait until next year when they replace the old road? I know that the new bypass is going to be partially open this upcoming week.

The signs are up, but they're covered. Not sure what the plan is yet.

Also unknown: what the plan is for Business US-12 (which currently runs through downtown Baraboo via South Blvd, Broadway St, 8th Ave, and Linn St). My assumption is that it's simply extended along South Blvd (County W) and Linn St to meet the new US-12, because that's the path of least resistance.

I would also not be surprised to see that Hwy 136 simply replaces Hwy 159 in its entirety. There's no reason to have the separate route number anymore. It would be more confusing than helpful.

In the future, it would make a lot of sense for that re-designated Hwy 136 to be extended to Hwy 113, and for Hwy DL to be extended down S. Shore Rd and Ski Hi Rd back to US-12. But from other recent routing decisions (dumping Hwy 123 back to Sauk County), it appears WisDOT is more interested in shedding roads in the area, not adding them. S. Shore Rd and Ski Hi Rd would also need considerable work to be brought up to county highway standards.

GeekJedi

Quote from: JREwing78 on August 05, 2017, 12:09:46 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on July 30, 2017, 01:26:33 PM
Quote from: US 12 fan on July 30, 2017, 09:57:16 AM
I understand that Hwy 159 is eventually going to become an extension of Hwy 136. Have they put up new signs for that yet? Or are they going to wait until next year when they replace the old road? I know that the new bypass is going to be partially open this upcoming week.

The signs are up, but they're covered. Not sure what the plan is yet.

Also unknown: what the plan is for Business US-12 (which currently runs through downtown Baraboo via South Blvd, Broadway St, 8th Ave, and Linn St). My assumption is that it's simply extended along South Blvd (County W) and Linn St to meet the new US-12, because that's the path of least resistance.

I would also not be surprised to see that Hwy 136 simply replaces Hwy 159 in its entirety. There's no reason to have the separate route number anymore. It would be more confusing than helpful.

In the future, it would make a lot of sense for that re-designated Hwy 136 to be extended to Hwy 113, and for Hwy DL to be extended down S. Shore Rd and Ski Hi Rd back to US-12. But from other recent routing decisions (dumping Hwy 123 back to Sauk County), it appears WisDOT is more interested in shedding roads in the area, not adding them. S. Shore Rd and Ski Hi Rd would also need considerable work to be brought up to county highway standards.

My understanding is that BUS US-12 will remain on it's current route through Baraboo, with the addition of the north and south "legs" of the current US-12 to each end of the bypass.

WI-136 takes over the current section of US-12 from it's intersection with US-12/BUS US-12 south to, and including, WI-159.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

US 12 fan

It looks like it is going to partially open tomorrow.

www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrepublic/news/local/article_a69ad52f-8692-566d-a3a6-726b979e617c.html

midwesternroadguy

For more information, contact:
Greg Brecka, WisDOT Project Manager, (608) 245-2671
gregory.brecka@dot.wi.gov

New lanes of US 12 expected to open Saturday, Baraboo
Project will be completed this fall

New lanes of US 12 are expected to open to traffic at noon on Saturday (Aug. 12) as part of the ongoing Baraboo bypass construction. Motorists are urged to be aware of reduced speeds, lane restrictions and construction activities in the area.

Crossovers with bidirectional traffic (two lanes, one in each directional) are in place at the north and south ends of the work zone. Four lanes of traffic are open through the WIS 136 interchange and the County W interchange.

US 12 construction between Terrytown Road and Ski Hi Road is ongoing.

Project completion is expected this fall.

More information on the Baraboo bypass construction can be found at www.511wi.gov.

The Ghostbuster

Has existing 12 and STH-159 been resigned as STH-136 yet?

I-39

Did anyone notice if it was open today?

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 12, 2017, 03:06:05 PM
According to Wikipedia it has. Although I would not consider Wikipedia the most reliable source.

NE2

Quote from: dvferyance on August 15, 2017, 04:38:21 PM
According to Wikipedia it has. Although I would not consider Wikipedia the most reliable source.
Wikipedia says it was renumbered, not that signs were changed.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

GeekJedi

Quote from: NE2 on August 15, 2017, 05:21:29 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on August 15, 2017, 04:38:21 PM
Wikipedia says it was renumbered, not that signs were changed.

The signs were up (but covered) over a month ago. I think it's fairly safe bet to assume the signs are now uncovered.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

midwesternroadguy

Drove through yesterday--all concrete mainline paving is complete, but lots of shoulder blacktopping to do.  Removal of the connections to the temporary roundabout with County Trunk BD is mostly done.  Speed limit 65 sign is posted on WB lanes at Ski Hi Road.  Best guess is that speed limit remains at 55 south of there for now. 

Can't wait for the barrels to come down on the WB lanes from the base of the Baraboo Bluffs!  I got stuck behind a milk truck going 20 mph all the way up the pass...I don't see leaving both lanes open being that much of a safety hazard.  I was just as concerned about getting rear ended by someone in the one lane condition. 

on_wisconsin

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on September 06, 2017, 11:13:07 PM
Drove through yesterday--all concrete mainline paving is complete, but lots of shoulder blacktopping to do.  Removal of the connections to the temporary roundabout with County Trunk BD is mostly done.  Speed limit 65 sign is posted on WB lanes at Ski Hi Road.  Best guess is that speed limit remains at 55 south of there for now.

Good luck even trying to get to 65 once down the hill south of Ski Hi, given the state of the pavement in the area. Was dodging potholes and rough spots almost all the way to Sauk City earlier this summer.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

triplemultiplex

They must be mere days away from opening all lanes based on what I saw this weekend.  They just need striping in a few places.  Landscaping crews were wrapping up on the south end when I drove through Saturday.

In the distance, the sign in the median is for reduce speed to 55 mph and looks permanent (two posts, 48" x 48") so I think one can infer the 65 zone will end there.  EB (SB) was posted at 55 all the way through from the Dells so far.

A lot of the signage for WI 136 around Devils Lake slaps the new number on the old WI 159 shields.  Example:

I know the next official state highway map is going to screw up the new bypass, so I did it correctly:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

dvferyance

I am really surprised that the suggested route to get to Devil's Lake takes you right through Baraboo. In the future Ski Hi Road will have to be improved to handle the extra traffic as many will take that way since it will be a much better direct way. I would make that the state highway spur into Devil's Lake or at least a County Highway. The WI 136 extension could later become and extension of County Hwy BD. Time will tell which route will be more popular but I presume Ski Hi Road is going to see a ton of extra traffic.

I-39

Quote from: dvferyance on September 13, 2017, 05:59:38 PM
I am really surprised that the suggested route to get to Devil's Lake takes you right through Baraboo. In the future Ski Hi Road will have to be improved to handle the extra traffic as many will take that way since it will be a much better direct way. I would make that the state highway spur into Devil's Lake or at least a County Highway. The WI 136 extension could later become and extension of County Hwy BD. Time will tell which route will be more popular but I presume Ski Hi Road is going to see a ton of extra traffic.

If that is the case, then an interchange may be needed at Ski Hi Road in the future.

triplemultiplex

Ski Hill Road was always my preferred route to Devils Lake from the south even before the construction.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

Hopefully Christopher Bessert will update his Wisconsin Highways website to reflect the latest changes in the Baraboo area.

midwesternroadguy

Man, I love this project being completed!   It looks like lots of other people have figured it out based on the traffic volumes Friday afternoon.  I still don't understand not extending the 65mph limit south to County Trunk Z near Prairie du Sac, as there aren't that many intersections in that stretch.  They are a couple of substandard curves that would need to be posted on the SB side, even though I take them at 65mph fairly comfortably. 

Now if they could remove the stoplights at County Trunks K, P, and STH 19 East.  The backups at peak hour are significant. 

paulthemapguy

Can't wait to drive this stretch on my next trip to MN or NW Wisconsin.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 11, 2017, 02:08:30 PM
R.I.P. STH-159, 1923-2017.

Here to pay my respects.

WI-159-ET by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

JREwing78

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on October 22, 2017, 03:39:03 PM
Man, I love this project being completed!   It looks like lots of other people have figured it out based on the traffic volumes Friday afternoon.  I still don’t understand not extending the 65mph limit south to County Trunk Z near Prairie du Sac, as there aren’t that many intersections in that stretch.  They are a couple of substandard curves that would need to be posted on the SB side, even though I take them at 65mph fairly comfortably.

It's also the older roadway design with narrow shoulders and median, and the fact that houses and other items are very close to the right-of-way. As far as the section south of Sauk City, it appears the main reason for the 55 mph posting is the presence of stoplights.

I would expect when WisDOT finally is able to pursue a Sauk City bypass, they will also completely rebuild the highway north to the Baraboo bypass, and put in overpasses and ramps at the existing intersections with stoplights. At that point, you'll see a 65 mph limit. But with the current budget issues, that won't happen quickly.

DaBigE

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 27, 2017, 08:17:18 AM
Quote from: midwesternroadguy on October 22, 2017, 03:39:03 PM
Man, I love this project being completed!   It looks like lots of other people have figured it out based on the traffic volumes Friday afternoon.  I still don't understand not extending the 65mph limit south to County Trunk Z near Prairie du Sac, as there aren't that many intersections in that stretch.  They are a couple of substandard curves that would need to be posted on the SB side, even though I take them at 65mph fairly comfortably.

It's also the older roadway design with narrow shoulders and median, and the fact that houses and other items are very close to the right-of-way. As far as the section south of Sauk City, it appears the main reason for the 55 mph posting is the presence of stoplights.

I would expect when WisDOT finally is able to pursue a Sauk City bypass, they will also completely rebuild the highway north to the Baraboo bypass, and put in overpasses and ramps at the existing intersections with stoplights. At that point, you'll see a 65 mph limit. But with the current budget issues, that won't happen quickly.

WisDOT made a proposal a year or so ago to raise the speed limit to 65 between roughly Middleton and Sauk City. It was met with a lot of public backlash, mostly from the farming community along that stretch. To the best of my knowledge, the plan hasn't been talked about since.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.