Newberg-Dundee Bypass: Observations and Photos from Play on the Bypass

Started by JasonOfORoads, September 24, 2017, 03:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonOfORoads

Today ODOT held a Play on the Bypass event to show off the soon-to-open Newberg-Dundee Bypass. Yours truly went down there between 11 and 1 to check it out. I ended up walking practically the entire bypass that was open to the public, roughly 4 miles in total. Here are some of my observations alongside photos I took along the way. I'll post them three at a time:

Walking up towards the viaduct section from the parking lot, approaching College St.

The viaduct still needs a little work. We weren't allowed to walk over it. Bummer.

Approaching the event tents set up just before the Chehalem Creek Bridge. They had games for kids, two food trucks (one with delicious tacos!) and tables/exhibits for ODOT, the City of Newberg, the City of Dundee (IIRC), and the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde. This is also apparently as far as the striping has gone eastward -- from here it's fully striped all the way to 99W.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

JasonOfORoads

The "Ask ODOT" booth, where people could ask questions about the bypass to some of the engineers who worked on it. I spoke with Terry, who designed the bridges, about the temporary South Dundee interchange. More on that when we get there.

A redundant "Road Closed" sign and balloons at the Chehalem Creek Bridge, MP 57.73 at its center. The bypass will be an extension of OR-18 and the Salmon River Highway #39.

A wider shot of the Chehalem Creek Bridge.

JasonOfORoads

Gentle curves as we approach the Dundee section of the bypass. Edit: This is also roughly where the East Dundee Interchange will eventually be built. I'll find a better photo and post it below.

According to the December 2014 project update newsletter, the lighter pavement is the Dundee portion of the contract fulfilled by Hamilton Construction of Springfield, Oregon. The darker half is the Newberg portion, paved by Wildish Standard Paving of Eugene.

Approaching the 8th Street overpass, which is at MP 56.76. They're still installing some of the gridded panels.

JasonOfORoads

Another shot of the 8th Street overpass, this time with a clearer perspective of the ROW set aside for future eastbound lanes, at which time these lanes will become westbound-only.

I climbed up onto the overpass for these next two shots ahead and back:

I don't know where I'm goin'...

...but I sure know where I've been

JasonOfORoads

Approaching a bridge over an unnamed creek at MP 56.40.

This was the only bridge that had ODOT inventory markers, confirming both the bypass' status as OR-18 and ORH #39. In both directions, too. They were also the only permanent signs, aside from a "Your Speed" sign at the 99W interchange ahead. Edit: This "creek" is designated as "Unnamed Stream 2" on the official maps.

The Fulquartz Loading Road overpass at MP 56.15. Just like with the 8th Street overpass, ROW is reserved for future eastbound lanes.

JasonOfORoads

The bypass curves towards its temporary end at 99W, first going over a couple creeks at MP 56.05. Project maps call the two creeks Hess Creek Tributary A and Hess Creek Tributary B.

The entire bypass route from this point onward is regarded in the EIS as temporary. When the rest of the bypass is complete, it will instead curve to the left through this field and these trees.

Another shot of the temporary bridge over the creeks.

I asked Terry the bridge builder at the ODOT booth if they were really going to knock them down once the bypass is fully completed. IIRC he seemed to lament that they're considered temporary, given their likely high expense -- I'm not sure how much exactly. Should've asked him that.

There is currently no plan in place to retain this section as a future permanent South Dundee interchange, nor is any such plan mentioned in the EIS. However, the bypass won't be fully built for years and years, and there's always a chance that the decision will be revisited.

JasonOfORoads

We made it to the end! Here's the final bridge, the other temporary one over 99W and the Willamette & Pacific Railroad tracks at MP 55.82.

On the bridge itself, where you can see it curve to meet 99W.

Looking down onto 99W from the bridge. The intersection is the temporary western end of the bypass at MP 55.48. You'll notice none of the signs have been installed on the mounts yet, including the sign gantry on the bypass onramp itself, off camera to the right.

Lastly, ODOT contracted someone out to take photos and video from their drone. It'll probably end up on the FTP server sometimes shortly.

And that's it! Overall it's a beautiful road going through some gorgeous country with sweeping curves and wide shoulders. I can't wait until the whole thing's built, when I might be able to drive over that big viaduct section over College, River & 12th Streets. For now, my feet hurt, and I'm gonna pass out.

nexus73

I loved the overpass pix showing where the other two lanes will be built someday.  Thanks for a great series of photos showing the project!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

xonhulu

Thanks for the great photographic coverage of the event!  I especially appreciate that you pointed out the approximate future location of the East Dundee Interchange and the spot where the "eventual" western extension would diverge.

I was also there yesterday, and like you I walked the entire stretch that was open.  In fact, I'm actually in your 4th photo, the one of the "Ask ODOT" booth -- I'm the guy in the red hat!  Small world. 

We started a little earlier than you, so by that time I'd already walked to the end and back.  I was there with my sisters, who live just off the bypass near the east end of the viaduct.  Since we walked over from their house, it was more like a 6 mile walk for me.  They've lived there for the past 13 years, so they pointed out a lot of details along the way that would've escaped my attention otherwise.

While I was at the booth, I asked about the timeline on the construction of Phase 2 from OR 219 to OR 99W on Rex Hill.  My cousin's business is along Springbrook Road, which will serve as the temporary connection from the Bypass' east end back to 99W, so that road will be significantly impacted while Phase 2 awaits completion.  I also jokingly asked if Phase 3 would be built in my lifetime or should I not hold my breath.  When he asked how old I was and I told him 53, he replied, "Better not hold your breath, then!"

It was a fun and interesting event.  I hope you had as much fun as we did.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: nexus73 on September 24, 2017, 10:27:10 AM
I loved the overpass pix showing where the other two lanes will be built someday.  Thanks for a great series of photos showing the project!

Thanks so much Rick!

Quote from: xonhulu on September 24, 2017, 04:17:17 PM
Thanks for the great photographic coverage of the event!  I especially appreciate that you pointed out the approximate future location of the East Dundee Interchange and the spot where the "eventual" western extension would diverge.

Thanks for the compliments!

I was also there yesterday, and like you I walked the entire stretch that was open.  In fact, I'm actually in your 4th photo, the one of the "Ask ODOT" booth -- I'm the guy in the red hat!  Small world. 

That's hilarious! Glad you could come out as well. I was wondering how many fellow visitors were roadgeeks. I imagine we passed each other a couple times that day unbeknownst to us.

We started a little earlier than you, so by that time I'd already walked to the end and back.  I was there with my sisters, who live just off the bypass near the east end of the viaduct.  Since we walked over from their house, it was more like a 6 mile walk for me.  They've lived there for the past 13 years, so they pointed out a lot of details along the way that would've escaped my attention otherwise.

It would've been fun to walk the bypass with a Newberg/Dundee local. I imagine there were a bunch of details I wouldn't have known to look for.

While I was at the booth, I asked about the timeline on the construction of Phase 2 from OR 219 to OR 99W on Rex Hill.  My cousin's business is along Springbrook Road, which will serve as the temporary connection from the Bypass' east end back to 99W, so that road will be significantly impacted while Phase 2 awaits completion.  I also jokingly asked if Phase 3 would be built in my lifetime or should I not hold my breath.  When he asked how old I was and I told him 53, he replied, "Better not hold your breath, then!"

It was a fun and interesting event.  I hope you had as much fun as we did.

I did enjoy it, thanks. Glad you enjoyed the 6 mile walk. That's hilarious about the timetable on Phase 3 of the bypass. Were you able to find out any sort of timetable for Phase 2, vague or otherwise?

As promised, here are some more photos of the future East Dundee interchange area:

Turns out the one I posted is a pretty good photo of the future East Dundee interchange location facing westbound. The offramp would branch off somewhere around that rightmost grouping of people.

A little further around the curve, we see where the overpass will be built. It will pass somewhere over the railing on the westbound (right) side.

Here's a shot of the same area facing eastbound. I would probably be standing right under the overpass, if not close by.

This one is further back, standing on the bridge over an unnamed farm road at MP 57.06 57.10. The westbound onramp would be merging in a little bit off-camera to the left. The eastbound offramp's gore point would be off-camera to the right, but we would see the ramp rising to meet the overpass on the right if the entire bypass were built. The overpass itself would be roughly where the red golf cart is. Owing to the milepost of the bridge, this interchange would likely be Exit 57 when it finally gets built.

Bickendan

I walked the highway from OR 99W to just past the first overpass. I wish I could have walked the length, but I needed to get home to help parents move.

xonhulu

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on September 24, 2017, 10:31:51 PM

I did enjoy it, thanks. Glad you enjoyed the 6 mile walk. That's hilarious about the timetable on Phase 3 of the bypass. Were you able to find out any sort of timetable for Phase 2, vague or otherwise?

All I was told was that the latest transportation package (HB 2017) just passed by the legislature contained money to plan Phase 2.  Sure enough, you can find it in the Transportation Commission minutes in their summary of HB 2017 here (scroll down to the 4th page under 2020): 

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Get-Involved/OTCSupportMaterials/Agenda_C_Attach_1_JTPM_ltr_Gov_and_OTC_re_HB2017_project_schedules.pdf

No actual money to finish ROW acquisition or begin actual construction appears to have been dedicated yet, so they might be putting up with the mess on Springbrook for the foreseeable future, possibly the next decade.

I was curious if OR 18 would be temporarily signed on Springbrook Road during the wait for Phase 2.  However, the new signage on OR 219 at Springbrook's southern end just says "TO 99W," so I think that answers that question.  It looks like, at least for the time being, OR 18 will just end at its junction with 219.  If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to hear it.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: xonhulu on September 25, 2017, 08:20:54 PM

All I was told was that the latest transportation package (HB 2017) just passed by the legislature contained money to plan Phase 2.  Sure enough, you can find it in the Transportation Commission minutes in their summary of HB 2017 here (scroll down to the 4th page under 2020): 

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Get-Involved/OTCSupportMaterials/Agenda_C_Attach_1_JTPM_ltr_Gov_and_OTC_re_HB2017_project_schedules.pdf

No actual money to finish ROW acquisition or begin actual construction appears to have been dedicated yet, so they might be putting up with the mess on Springbrook for the foreseeable future, possibly the next decade.

I was curious if OR 18 would be temporarily signed on Springbrook Road during the wait for Phase 2.  However, the new signage on OR 219 at Springbrook's southern end just says "TO 99W," so I think that answers that question.  It looks like, at least for the time being, OR 18 will just end at its junction with 219.  If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to hear it.

I managed to find the V-File for the road work on the Springbrook Rd. portion. This includes the intersecting portions of OR-219 and OR-99W and comes with signage placement instructions. I uploaded the full V-file, but it's 122 MB, so I separated off the signage portion for you.

I didn't see any reassurance shields or anything in the plans that indicated OR-18 was extended along OR-219 and Springbrook Rd. However, Sign #107 in the plans says "West OR-18 TO OR-99W / Dundee / McMinnville", which is ODOT treating it as a de facto extension of OR-18. Also, the plans reference the end of the project along Springbrook Rd. as "MP 60.90". That mileage is the continuation of the mileage from the end of the bypass. This isn't without precedent: ODOT in the past treated the unbuilt portions of highways as a located line. This could be mainline mileage or L-mileage. Any temporary connections were marked on straightline charts as the "temporary traveled route" and was fully noted with intersecting roads and features and the ownership of the road (e.g., "County Rd."). I imagine they're taking temporary ownership of Springbrook both to perform this roadwork and to maintain it during its time as a connector to the bypass, relinquished when Phase 2 opens.

sparker

Nice pictures, attractively scenic area  -- and, fortunately, nice weather for greater PDX -- the kind of combination that makes me a bit nostalgic for the area (until I remember than once we got 20 rain days in a row! -- there's a reason the region's so green!) 

JasonOfORoads

This one is further back, standing on the bridge over an unnamed farm road at MP 57.06. The westbound onramp would be merging in a little bit off-camera to the left. The eastbound offramp's gore point would be off-camera to the right, but we would see the ramp rising to meet the overpass on the right if the entire bypass were built. The overpass itself would be roughly where the red golf cart is. Owing to the milepost of the bridge, this interchange would likely be Exit 57 when it finally gets built.

Found an interesting tidbit about the bridge and the road it passes over while I perusing my bypass newsletter archive. According to the September 2010 newsletter, it's a private road connecting two portions of Columbia Empire Farms. Pretty straightforward, but remember that this bridge is right near two of the gore points of the East Dundee interchange. Look at what's going to happen after the interchange is put in:

QuoteA private overcrossing (over the Bypass) will reconnect an existing internal roadway located on Columbia Empire Farms that is used to travel between two parts of their farm operation. (emphasis mine)

Curious that this will become a private overpass, though I suppose it's cheaper and less of a hassle than building 3 additional bridges over a depressed farm road. Still, I don't see too many of those on highways.

Also important: This overpass will be built slightly to the SW of the current bridge. In the shot above, this means it will actually be behind me by a good 150 feet or so. Fortunately I snapped another photo of the same area about 300 feet back at the beginning of the guardrails:

The overpass would roughly be halfway between the bridge and where I'm standing.

Final fun facts: ODOT appears to have marked the future bridge's milepost in the Phase 1 project map, not the one they actually built. While the new straightline chart isn't out yet, ODOT has updated their Highway Inventory Summary on September 1st, and searching for the Salmon River Highway shows data for both the new bypass segment and the temporary extension down Springbrook Rd. The current bridge is actually at MP 57.09, and the temporary end of the Salmon River Highway (and maybe OR-18) is at MP 60.88. The inventory also shows a jump between MP 52.71 (the current end of OR-18) and MP 55.48 (the temporary western end of the bypass). This is in keeping with other instances where two highways run concurrent with each other.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: xonhulu on September 25, 2017, 08:20:54 PM

Maybe ODOT would surprise us all with placing "Temporary" banners for Oregon 18 on Springbrook Road...
My understanding is Springbrook becomes a State Highway when the work is finished.  Maybe, at some point in time it'll become 219, and 219 on its current route through Newberg (including to the Washington County line, and onward to Scholls and Hillsboro) will be decommissioned, just as the other state highways in the area (10, 208, 210) have already been.

i-215

I was concerned to see that it was just a 1+1 lane road.  All that work for such a little road? 

But this picture heartens me.  They did plan for it to be a genuine 2+2 lane highway.  ODOT must be phasing it in gradually, as the money trickles in.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: i-215 on October 04, 2017, 08:38:58 PM

I was concerned to see that it was just a 1+1 lane road.  All that work for such a little road? 

But this picture heartens me.  They did plan for it to be a genuine 2+2 lane highway.  ODOT must be phasing it in gradually, as the money trickles in.

We'll see if it ever becomes 2+2. The McMinnville Bypass also has ROW set aside for twinning, but nothing's been done in the 40-some-odd years it's been in existence, so who knows. I remain optimistic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.