News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Breezewood

Started by theroadwayone, October 03, 2017, 02:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In light of the threads about it, is it time we stopped beating a dead horse?

Yes
52 (44.8%)
No
64 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 116

hbelkins

Quote from: _Simon on February 08, 2018, 11:02:16 PM

Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 08, 2018, 10:38:21 PM
Bedford County Commissioners and state legislators

Which ones?  I'll call them.  I'm not letting this go. 

And if you think I'm just blowing smoke, ask any county or state employee (a few are on this board still I think) that's had the unfortunate situation of being between me and getting signage and other works fixed;  My willpower extends infinitely in the direction of changing things people say can't be changed.

SM-G955U

You're an out-of-state resident and not a constituent of theirs. Odds are good that they won't even get your message. It will be filtered by staffers, or if they have an online comments page, by the software that kicks out messages from people who live in ZIP codes not in their districts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on February 09, 2018, 12:23:24 PM
Quote from: _Simon on February 08, 2018, 11:02:16 PM

Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 08, 2018, 10:38:21 PM
Bedford County Commissioners and state legislators

Which ones?  I'll call them.  I'm not letting this go. 

And if you think I'm just blowing smoke, ask any county or state employee (a few are on this board still I think) that's had the unfortunate situation of being between me and getting signage and other works fixed;  My willpower extends infinitely in the direction of changing things people say can't be changed.

SM-G955U

You're an out-of-state resident and not a constituent of theirs. Odds are good that they won't even get your message. It will be filtered by staffers, or if they have an online comments page, by the software that kicks out messages from people who live in ZIP codes not in their districts.

It's been 35 years since the United States demanded PA build a full interchange between 95 and the PA Turnpike, and with any luck that project may be 25% completed by this year. 

Some guy from out of state that doesn't like an interchange that he heard about on the internet?  Yeah.  Start an epetition too. 

Avalanchez71

I don't think that poster understands the dynamics of politics.  Not only politics but Pennsylvania politics and the fact that there are two agencies involved.  The PTC and PennDOT.

vdeane

Considering that the PA legislature is investigating whether to fold the PTC into PennDOT, there might not be two agencies much longer.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

briantroutman

^ Is the state legislature actually investigating that currently? I remember reading some stories about 15 years ago (prior to Act 44) that various legislators were pushing for that to happen, but obviously that didn't result in any action. I'm generally of the opinion that both Pennsylvania and the traveling public would be better off if the PTC was merged into PennDOT, but as of now, I don't see how it could happen.

The PTC is being milked by the state for its current toll revenue, and as a result, the Commission has had to take on ridiculous amounts of debt to fund ongoing maintenance and expansion operations. But the catch is that, since it isn't an agency of state government, the PTC issues bonds that are not backed by the full faith and credit of the Commonwealth. As far as I can see, the only way that the PTC could be dissolved and its operations folded into PennDOT would be for the Commonwealth to assume the Commission's billions of dollars in debt, an obligation from which it is currently insulated.

For the longest time, I couldn't understand why the PTC signed on to Act 44. I mean, honestly: Why would they agree to pay the Commonwealth nearly half a billion dollars annually when there was no guarantee that I-80 tolling would be approved–and the agreement contained no escape clause in the event that I-80 tolling wasn't approved. (And it wasn't.)

And then I read something from a Harrisburg Patriot-News investigative reporter that made the answer crystal clear. Immediately prior to Act 44, the PTC faced the very real possibility of the Commission being disbanded by the state legislature. And if you're one of the commissioners bringing home a nice side income plus a free vehicle and free tolls for relatively little work, if you're handing out decently paid patronage jobs as thank-you gifts for donors and friends, if you're one of the administrators earning a healthy salary and good benefits and would be made redundant through a merger, you're going to fight the elimination of the PTC by any means–including tactics that would put the long term viability of the Commission in jeopardy.

PTC commissioners figured out that they could use debt as a "poison pill" –get so far in the hole that no legislator could dream of trying to reabsorb the Commission into state government. The result is an insidious "I'll scratch your back..."  arrangement of the sickest order. The PTC hands over hundreds of millions to the Commonwealth, allowing legislators to (temporarily) dodge answering difficult questions regarding the long-term viability of transportation funding in the state. And in turn, the legislature allows the PTC to remain in existence, and the generous salaries and benefits keep flowing. Meanwhile, America's First Superhighway continues to be leveraged ever closer to a debt-driven death spiral.

ekt8750

Quote from: briantroutman on February 09, 2018, 03:40:09 PM
^ Is the state legislature actually investigating that currently? I remember reading some stories about 15 years ago (prior to Act 44) that various legislators were pushing for that to happen, but obviously that didn't result in any action. I'm generally of the opinion that both Pennsylvania and the traveling public would be better off if the PTC was merged into PennDOT, but as of now, I don't see how it could happen.

The PTC is being milked by the state for its current toll revenue, and as a result, the Commission has had to take on ridiculous amounts of debt to fund ongoing maintenance and expansion operations. But the catch is that, since it isn't an agency of state government, the PTC issues bonds that are not backed by the full faith and credit of the Commonwealth. As far as I can see, the only way that the PTC could be dissolved and its operations folded into PennDOT would be for the Commonwealth to assume the Commission's billions of dollars in debt, an obligation from which it is currently insulated.

For the longest time, I couldn't understand why the PTC signed on to Act 44. I mean, honestly: Why would they agree to pay the Commonwealth nearly half a billion dollars annually when there was no guarantee that I-80 tolling would be approved–and the agreement contained no escape clause in the event that I-80 tolling wasn't approved. (And it wasn't.)

And then I read something from a Harrisburg Patriot-News investigative reporter that made the answer crystal clear. Immediately prior to Act 44, the PTC faced the very real possibility of the Commission being disbanded by the state legislature. And if you're one of the commissioners bringing home a nice side income plus a free vehicle and free tolls for relatively little work, if you're handing out decently paid patronage jobs as thank-you gifts for donors and friends, if you're one of the administrators earning a healthy salary and good benefits and would be made redundant through a merger, you're going to fight the elimination of the PTC by any means–including tactics that would put the long term viability of the Commission in jeopardy.

PTC commissioners figured out that they could use debt as a "poison pill" –get so far in the hole that no legislator could dream of trying to reabsorb the Commission into state government. The result is an insidious "I'll scratch your back..."  arrangement of the sickest order. The PTC hands over hundreds of millions to the Commonwealth, allowing legislators to (temporarily) dodge answering difficult questions regarding the long-term viability of transportation funding in the state. And in turn, the legislature allows the PTC to remain in existence, and the generous salaries and benefits keep flowing. Meanwhile, America's First Superhighway continues to be leveraged ever closer to a debt-driven death spiral.

Thing about that is, that's a bubble that'll eventually burst and the more they try to keep it from bursting the worse the burst will be when it happens.

hbelkins

Quote from: briantroutman on February 09, 2018, 03:40:09 PM
^ Is the state legislature actually investigating that currently?

Yes, I saw a news story float across my Facebook feed, but didn't read it.

QuoteBut the catch is that, since it isn't an agency of state government

How is the PTC not a state government agency? If the members are politically appointed, how can it not be considered an arm of state government?

briantroutman

Quote from: hbelkins on February 09, 2018, 05:21:56 PM
How is the PTC not a state government agency? If the members are politically appointed, how can it not be considered an arm of state government?

Now we're starting to get into the intricacies of what makes an agency a "government agency"  and what makes an employee a "government employee" . I think a Pennsylvania attorney would need to clarify some of the distinctions.

I can only draw a few analogies. In higher education, for example, the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education universities (West Chester, Bloomsburg, Shippensburg) are agencies of state government. The professors are counted as state employees and are represented by a state employees' union, and even the property on which they stand is deeded: "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."  There's essentially no insulation between these schools and the whims of the governor and state legislature.

On the other hand Penn State, which is often referred to as a "state"  school, is more accurately a "state-related"  school. The university was created by an act of the state legislature and is situated on land granted to it by the Commonwealth. It is partially funded by an appropriation of tax dollars, and it is governed by a board that, under the terms of its charter, includes the governor, secretaries of multiple cabinet-level departments, and several governor appointees. But its employees are not counted as state employees and are not represented by the state employees' union; its property is deeded to "Pennsylvania State University" , not the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth can threaten Penn State's appropriations and exert influence through board members, but as long as Penn State doesn't violate its charter, the state does not control the university's operations.

Likewise at the Federal level, you have organizations like the Corporation for Public Broadcasting–which is governed by a board of Presidential appointees who are confirmed by the Senate. But strictly speaking, the CPB isn't a government agency, nor are its employees federal employees.

But regardless of the technicalities, the bottom line as far as a PTC/PennDOT merger is concerned: The PTC's charter specifically stipulates that the Commission's debts are not those of the Commonwealth. I don't see how the PTC could be absorbed by the Commonwealth unless it assumed its debts.

Edited to add:

Here's a link to a Post-Gazette editorial discussing the study on dissolving/merging the PTC into PennDOT: http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/editorials/2018/02/06/Better-together-Explore-joining-PennDOT-and-turnpike-services/stories/201802280010

Apparently, they're looking mergers in both directions–the PTC being dissolved and its duties handed over to PennDOT as well as reverse scenario where responsibilities for maintaining the Commonwealth's free Interstates are handed over to an enlarged PTC. I don't see where the opportunity for savings lie in the latter scenario.

If the former scenario materializes, however, the editorial mentions the PTC becoming "little more than a vehicle for debt service" . But I don't understand how that's possible–to transfer the asset and the stream of revenue to a new owner and leave an empty shell behind holding the debt.

cpzilliacus

wearecentralpa.com: Strip club outrages residents in Bedford County

QuoteThis past weekend, people driving through Breezewood, Bedford County saw signs for a new gentlemen's club pop-up on one of the old businesses. The building is in the middle of town and could be the first thing that travelers see.

QuoteThousands of people pass through Breezewood every day and over the weekend, many saw something new on their drive.

Quote"Banners. Big Banners 'Completely nude girls' '27/7' 'Triple X' Right here in the, right along the highway," Bedford County resident Steven Leydig said.

QuoteThe signs were put up on the outside of an abandoned building in the middle of the highway junction, but the signs were taken down at the beginning of the week.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: briantroutman on February 09, 2018, 06:26:51 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 09, 2018, 05:21:56 PM

Now we're starting to get into the intricacies of what makes an agency a "government agency"  and what makes an employee a "government employee" . I think a Pennsylvania attorney would need to clarify some of the distinctions.

They are exempt from all federal and Pennsylvania taxes, which would imply that they are a creature of state government.  And the interest on bonds they sell are (like bonds sold by many other state, county and municipal agencies) exempt from federal taxes.

QuoteBut regardless of the technicalities, the bottom line as far as a PTC/PennDOT merger is concerned: The PTC's charter specifically stipulates that the Commission's debts are not those of the Commonwealth. I don't see how the PTC could be absorbed by the Commonwealth unless it assumed its debts.

The massive pile of bonded indebtedness from the Turnpike Commission and its billions of dollars poured into PennDOT for things having little to do with the Turnpike under Act 44 and Act 89, would still be outstanding after a merger.   As would bonds sold for legitimate Turnpike expansion and repair and reconstruction projects.

But presumably those bonds, like most toll road revenue bonds sold to investors by toll road agencies across the U.S., are non-recourse bonds secured only by the toll revenues collected by the  PTC (which means that in the event of a default, bondholders cannot look to Pennsylvania taxpayers for payment) - compare and contrast with  "full faith and credit" bonds (which are backed by the taxing power of the state government).

None of this would change if the PTC were to be merged into a part of PennDOT, except that the bondholders would be paid by  checks with PennDOT written on them instead of by PTC.  But if there were to be a default, PennDOT would have no obligation to use its Transportation Trust Fund (and the motor fuel tax revenue that flows into same) to pay investors, nor would the Pennsylvania governor and legislature have any obligation to tap into the state's general fund to pay holders of Turnpike bonds either.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sparker

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 11, 2018, 11:32:39 PM
wearecentralpa.com: Strip club outrages residents in Bedford County

QuoteThis past weekend, people driving through Breezewood, Bedford County saw signs for a new gentlemen's club pop-up on one of the old businesses. The building is in the middle of town and could be the first thing that travelers see.

QuoteThousands of people pass through Breezewood every day and over the weekend, many saw something new on their drive.

Quote"Banners. Big Banners 'Completely nude girls' '27/7' 'Triple X' Right here in the, right along the highway," Bedford County resident Steven Leydig said.

QuoteThe signs were put up on the outside of an abandoned building in the middle of the highway junction, but the signs were taken down at the beginning of the week.

Well now -- the county and township want to accumulate revenue from pass-through business; this is just another enterprise electing to join the Breezewood crowd!  I don't know about particular PA rules governing such things, but here in CA the only way to foil the establishment of adult entertainment venues is through tight zoning rules.  I guess this is a case of this sword having two sides -- it'll be interesting to see if this issue causes a new spotlight to be focused on the main Breezewood issue!   

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sparker on February 12, 2018, 12:06:48 AM
Well now -- the county and township want to accumulate revenue from pass-through business; this is just another enterprise electing to join the Breezewood crowd!  I don't know about particular PA rules governing such things, but here in CA the only way to foil the establishment of adult entertainment venues is through tight zoning rules.  I guess this is a case of this sword having two sides -- it'll be interesting to see if this issue causes a new spotlight to be focused on the main Breezewood issue!

This bigger issue is this - Breezewood businesses are failing even with all of that I-70 traffic being forced to drive through there.   Hence the establishment of the strip joint, calls into question the "we must have that I-70 traffic to survive, when it seems that some drivers have had enough and are opting to stop someplace else. 

The people interviewed on the TV report are "protesting rather too loudly," IMO.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: sparker on February 12, 2018, 12:06:48 AM
... it'll be interesting to see if this issue causes a new spotlight to be focused on the main Breezewood issue!   

You mean the issue that no one here took notice to for 10 days until someone posted an article about it?

The issue that, while "thousands" of motorists pass by every day, the only people interviewed were local residents?

We can travel the highways all over the country and see signs for strip bars and adult stores.  This isn't exactly going to be a reason why Pennsy will spend tens of millions of dollars...

VTGoose

Quote from: vdeane on February 09, 2018, 02:14:45 PM
Considering that the PA legislature is investigating whether to fold the PTC into PennDOT, there might not be two agencies much longer.

Except the PA legislature has bigger problems on its plate right now, with gerrymandering and the problems of a missed deadline. The resulting changes may have an impact on the future of PennDOT and the PTC if voters finally have an accurate voice in Harrisburg.

Bruce in Blacksburg (but a native of the 'Burgh)
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 12, 2018, 06:29:16 AM
We can travel the highways all over the country and see signs for strip bars and adult stores.  This isn't exactly going to be a reason why Pennsy will spend tens of millions of dollars...

I agree. But it does reinforce the hypocrisy and craven nature of Breezewood.

CanesFan27

So all this recent discussion in the thread has me working on a feature/article for the blog on why breezewood hasn't been bypassed.

In looking back at various articles since the late 80s on Breezewood, I would say that the business owners have been losing clout as the most vocal have been the family owned operations that have slowly closed shop.  You don't see the franchise owner of the Taco Bell or the district manager of Sheetz quoted in these articles.

That leaves the various political powers from state legislators to the Bedford County Commissioners as having the most influence.

The most common response from business owners and legislators defending Breezewood has been it's only a few days of the year.  I can see that as i go through Breezewood at least 6-8 times a year and not had issue.  However I make sure to avoid it at holidays.  I would say that we stop at Breezewood 1 of every 10 times going through there and our kids being the biggest reason.  So people would still stop, there's nothing on 70 until Hancock, turnpike plazas are usually more expensive, if you go towards Ft. Littleton there's nothing, and stoplubg at Bedford means on and off the turnpike also. And on 68 you have to wait to Cumberland.  If we stop, it's because it is right there, but if it was bypassed and we needed to stop we'd still exit.

There's an Altoona Mirror article from 2015 that talked about how rumors of cashless tolling has breezewood owners up in arms.  Again, the same family owned businesses are commenting. 

That article reminded me of a turnpike strike that led to the pike being opened without tolls.  I think it was a holiday season any one remember When?  I recall my sister who lives in Northern Va said how quickly she went through Breezewood as a result.

And yes, when heading back to PA our location in respect to Breezewood is used as an estimate on when one of us are to our parents house.

Also, everyone pretty much knows breezewood do a Twitter search of breezewood or breezewood bypass and you see a whole array of comments. However, there isn't as much angst about as there obviously is in our hobby.  There is very little mention of boycotting breezewood more of maybe one business or the turnpike as a whole after a toll increase.

As the local owners die off or sell their business because their kids aren't interested, there may be some momentum. 
Unless there really is a political groundswell from Bedford County or within the commonwealth to fix it - it's unlikely.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: VTGoose on February 12, 2018, 09:34:35 AM
Except the PA legislature has bigger problems on its plate right now, with gerrymandering and the problems of a missed deadline. The resulting changes may have an impact on the future of PennDOT and the PTC if voters finally have an accurate voice in Harrisburg.

Bruce in Blacksburg (but a native of the 'Burgh)

I disagree, for this reason - the current majority party in Harrisburg is not going to cut its own throat in order to comply with an order from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. 

Much  better to submit a revised plan (which changes nothing) as they have done, and then scream and yell when the court comes up with a vastly less gerrymandered map.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 12, 2018, 09:37:06 AM
So all this recent discussion in the thread has me working on a feature/article for the blog on why breezewood hasn't been bypassed.

Because Pennsylvania and their DOT and their Turnpike Commission don't care.

In looking back at various articles since the late 80s on Breezewood, I would say that the business owners have been losing clout as the most vocal have been the family owned operations that have slowly closed shop.  You don't see the franchise owner of the Taco Bell or the district manager of Sheetz quoted in these articles.

Given the loyalty of many Sheetz patrons (including myself), I might well stop there even if Breezewood were to be properly bypassed.

That leaves the various political powers from state legislators to the Bedford County Commissioners as having the most influence.

The federal government could put a stop to it easily.

The most common response from business owners and legislators defending Breezewood has been it's only a few days of the year.  I can see that as i go through Breezewood at least 6-8 times a year and not had issue.  However I make sure to avoid it at holidays.  I would say that we stop at Breezewood 1 of every 10 times going through there and our kids being the biggest reason.  So people would still stop, there's nothing on 70 until Hancock, turnpike plazas are usually more expensive, if you go towards Ft. Littleton there's nothing, and stoplubg at Bedford means on and off the turnpike also. And on 68 you have to wait to Cumberland.  If we stop, it's because it is right there, but if it was bypassed and we needed to stop we'd still exit.

I don't stop there  because drivers are killed and injured approaching Breezewood, especially  on the westbound side of I-70 approaching the traffic signals at U.S. 30.

There's an Altoona Mirror article from 2015 that talked about how rumors of cashless tolling has breezewood owners up in arms.  Again, the same family owned businesses are commenting.

Cashless tolling is coming because the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission continues to bleed cash thanks to the provisions of Act 44 and Act 89, and going cashless will save PTC a lot of money.

CanesFan27

CPZ,

You make a good point about injuries and fatalities, I know of the wreck involving Mike Dawida in the late 80s that caused him to push for changes.  He had support in the House but stopped cold in the Senate. There was also the big crash in 1987.

Do you know of any other large/deadly wrecks there. I haven't found much since they added the extra lane for 70 West traffic in the early 90s.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 12, 2018, 09:47:41 AM

Given the loyalty of many Sheetz patrons (including myself), I might well stop there even if Breezewood were to be properly bypassed.

One thing that might -- MIGHT -- make a difference here is distance from the mainline. In most places, the highway businesses are located very near the exit. Add a direct connection for I-70, and suddenly the Breezewood services are a couple of miles off both I-70 and I-76. If you absolutely have to have gas or get something to eat, you may get off there. If you can wait awhile, you might decide instead to keep traveling -- although it should be noted that the Hancock Sheetz isn't really convenient to I-70, either.

Sheetz has some interesting building patterns. They've built three in Beckley, WV, but none are near the interstate/turnpike. There's one at the interchange where US 19 joins Corridor D, one farther south on US 19 in the Beckley commercial district, and one right downtown at WV 16 and WV 3. None anywhere near the turnpike.

Beltway

What sort of actual legal tools do they have?   Do they have any legal power that would withstand a lawsuit if they tried to withhold any portion of PennDOT's federal funding?

As an aside why try to penalize PennDOT when it is the PTC that is refusing to participate in an interchange project?  Since PTC is not federally funded they could not be penalized in that manner.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on February 12, 2018, 01:36:15 PM

What sort of actual legal tools do they have?   Do they have any legal power that would withstand a lawsuit if they tried to withhold any portion of PennDOT's federal funding?

As an aside why try to penalize PennDOT when it is the PTC that is refusing to participate in an interchange project?  Since PTC is not federally funded they could not be penalized in that manner.

What interchange project?  The fantasy one that doesn't exist?

vdeane

As far as FHWA is concerned, the state DOT is responsible for the actions of all jurisdictions in the state, regardless of whether it actually has that kind of authority or not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 12, 2018, 02:03:13 PM
Quote from: Beltway on February 12, 2018, 01:36:15 PM
What interchange project?  The fantasy one that doesn't exist?

That's the point, the PTC is refusing to plan and build this interchange.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on February 12, 2018, 02:33:33 PM
As far as FHWA is concerned, the state DOT is responsible for the actions of all jurisdictions in the state, regardless of whether it actually has that kind of authority or not.

So FHWA could have still refused to give NYSDOT $14 million in funding if the Thruway Authority told them to go pound sand regarding the Cuomo signs?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.