News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Breezewood

Started by theroadwayone, October 03, 2017, 02:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In light of the threads about it, is it time we stopped beating a dead horse?

Yes
52 (44.8%)
No
64 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Avalanchez71

Just think about a piece of Americana that will be destroyed if Breezewood is bypassed.  How much longer will this go on?

I-69 has a Breezewood in Kentucky but they are trying to get rid of it.

sparker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 13, 2018, 03:39:13 PM
Just think about a piece of Americana that will be destroyed if Breezewood is bypassed.  How much longer will this go on?

I'm perplexed about the first statement/question; is A-71 trying to be ironic, or is Breezewood being equated with a historical monument?  If so, put up a fucking museum along that little stretch of US 30 along with some direct ramps bypassing the place; the museum can celebrate 40 years of politically motivated B.S.   If honoring Americana constitutes a "forced march" down a city street in the middle of a transcontinental Interstate -- just so some folks can flip a center finger at the driving public -- then that segment of history has indeed entered the Twilight Zone! 

And the "Kentucky Breezewood" (obviously Henderson) will be bypassed, despite any display of curmudgeony!

slorydn1

Quote from: sparker on February 13, 2018, 05:15:38 PM

I'm perplexed about the first statement/question; is A-71 trying to be ironic, or is Breezewood being equated with a historical monument?  If so, put up a fucking museum along that little stretch of US 30 along with some direct ramps bypassing the place; the museum can celebrate 40 years of politically motivated B.S.   If honoring Americana constitutes a "forced march" down a city street in the middle of a transcontinental Interstate -- just so some folks can flip a center finger at the driving public -- then that segment of history has indeed entered the Twilight Zone! 

And the "Kentucky Breezewood" (obviously Henderson) will be bypassed, despite any display of curmudgeony!

<slo raises his Bud Lite> Dilly Dilly!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Alps

1. There is no A-71. It's A-73 and the next one down is A-50. Any talk of Q-175 becoming A-75 is long dead.
2. Please stop arguing. If the thread is over let it die. I think everything has been said.

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2018, 01:02:20 PM
Quote from: empirestate on February 13, 2018, 12:55:26 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 13, 2018, 12:14:38 PM
I can see the genisis of this thread evolving into something like the numerical/sequential exit numbering thread.

I was just thinking the same thing. :-D

You and I will just watch this time  :-P ;-)

Oh yeah, been watching this one for years. And my view on the subject is similar, though not exactly the same. :-)

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on February 14, 2018, 12:03:59 AM
2. Please stop arguing. If the thread is over let it die. I think everything has been said.

I have the feeling that in 50 years, people will still be arguing about passionately discussing Breezewood if a direct connection has not yet been built.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on February 14, 2018, 10:53:08 AM

I have the feeling that in 50 years, people will still be arguing about passionately discussing Breezewood if a direct connection has not yet been built.

Like various issues, it has it's peaks and valleys.  Whenever something significant happens it'll get a little publicity, or whenever a journalist trying to market themselves puts out an article on a clickbait website "You won't believe what happens to this Interstate!" it'll get noticed, but it goes away fairly quickly.

Those people that are the target of such stories have learned not to comment, because, as you saw on Page 22, comments lead to further comments, discussion, and accusations.  When the story can't get fuel, it becomes lost when tomorrow, "20 reasons why Tomatoes are hazardous to your Health.  You won't believe #6!" becomes the headline of the day.

Avalanchez71

We may have flying cars by then.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 14, 2018, 02:13:06 PM

We may have flying cars by then.

More likely, an app for whatever replaces smartphones that allows teleporting to the coordinates that you type in (provided that it's both a public area and a flat surface).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

sparker

Yeah -- this thread has sporadically lapsed into a pale imitation of Monty Python's "Argument Clinic"

"I told you once....."
   "No, you didn't."
   "I most certainly did!"

......and so on and so forth.

kkt

"An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition."

"No it isn't!"

davewiecking

I'm sorry; is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?

Beltway

The reason it keeps going here, is because of some posters who seem to use various arguments against building the connection.  The posters in favor respond to those arguments.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

"I could be arguing on my own time."
   "Ahhh...........I've had enough."
   "No, you haven't."
   "Oh, shut up!"

First heard this in college back about '69 or so.  Never gets old!

02 Park Ave

The direct connexion should be built as a P3.  Neither the PTC nor PENNDOT seem interested in it so they should farm it out.
C-o-H

theroadwayone

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 15, 2018, 10:02:21 PM
The direct connexion should be built as a P3.  Neither the PTC nor PENNDOT seem interested in it so they should farm it out.
I mean, drivers on the road could use some fresh farm made food instead of eating fatty fast food.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sparker

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 16, 2018, 10:50:07 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 15, 2018, 10:02:21 PM
I mean, drivers on the road could use some fresh farm made food instead of eating fatty fast food.

However, the single (and those functionally so) male drivers might well be eating strip-club food on their sojourns through beautiful downtown Breezewood.  IIRC from misspent youth, that means fried chicken wings and self-bake pizza; both of which fit neatly into the latter category above.   

theroadwayone

Let me clarify something here: An ancient bell that hasn't rung since the 1830s, but was rung at the time of this country's founding is a "piece of America." A statue of a founder of a colony is a "piece of America." A town that has a section of a transcontinental interstate highway running along surface streets is not. There are things that are part of this country's history and fabric that are worth preserving; a town that has a major highway running through a stoplight just to attract visitors isn't really one of them. Clear?

empirestate

Quote from: theroadwayone on February 21, 2018, 04:38:26 PM

Let me clarify something here: An ancient bell that hasn't rung since the 1830s, but was rung at the time of this country's founding is a "piece of America." A statue of a founder of a colony is a "piece of America." A town that has a section of a transcontinental interstate highway running along surface streets is not. There are things that are part of this country's history and fabric that are worth preserving; a town that has a major highway running through a stoplight just to attract visitors isn't really one of them. Clear?

Actually, no, not clear...because the quote should have been "piece of Americana". Different thing.

qguy

Quote from: empirestate on February 21, 2018, 07:35:05 PM

Actually, no, not clear...because the quote should have been "piece of Americana". Different thing.

Oh, well that makes all the difference in the world.  :meh:

empirestate

Quote from: qguy on February 21, 2018, 10:41:51 PM
Quote from: empirestate on February 21, 2018, 07:35:05 PM

Oh, well that makes all the difference in the world.  :meh:

Well, that's what you guys will have to figure out. ;-)

Avalanchez71

The Henderson KY pit stop is a living piece of yesteryear.  The city is still situated on the route between Chicago and Nashville.  The route serves a reminder of the country and it is ashamed that it will be bypassed.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 22, 2018, 01:34:18 PM
The Henderson KY pit stop is a living piece of yesteryear.  The city is still situated on the route between Chicago and Nashville.  The route serves a reminder of the country and it is ashamed that it will be bypassed.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 22, 2018, 01:34:18 PM

Wait, what?

I wonder how our forefathers got to Chicago from Nashville? Interstate 65?

I know when Interstate 69 comes through town, decimating the local, homegrown Applebee's, the comfortable yet sleazy Economy Inn & Suites, the already-abandoned K-Mart, what remains of Shoney's, and the omni McWenby Hut - I'll shed a tear.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.