Louisiana meet--March 17 & 18, 2018

Started by cjk374, October 19, 2017, 09:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Thanks for the update! Just to confirm... the meet will be based around the Shreveport area... right?

Now that we're into 2018 I guess I'd better think about putting in my time-off request for work and start thinking about making hotel reservations.
-A.J. from Michigan

cjk374

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 01, 2018, 08:53:50 PM
Thanks for the update! Just to confirm... the meet will be based around the Shreveport area...right?

The meet will be Shreveport & Caddo Parish based...with a delicate touch of TX & AR. But it will start & end in Shreveport.

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

SSOWorld

I cannot guarantee commitment at this time.  Too many variables in the employment department will result in possible lack of time off at that time due to personal circumstances

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jpi

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 01, 2018, 08:53:50 PM
Thanks for the update! Just to confirm... the meet will be based around the Shreveport area... right?

Now that we're into 2018 I guess I'd better think about putting in my time-off request for work and start thinking about making hotel reservations.
Steph and I already have both taken care of  ;-)This will be our first time in this part of Louisiana  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

So this is just a one-day meet with an optional second day of "whatever" for anyone who's still around?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

Quote from: hbelkins on January 02, 2018, 02:04:28 PM
So this is just a one-day meet with an optional second day of "whatever" for anyone who's still around?

Exactly!

jpi

Depends on what Steph and I have going on, we may have time to do some sight seeing Sunday morning but by lunch time we would have to get on the road (unless we can get Monday off) so we shall see
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Just let us know what time the meet is, and where to meet, and I think we're all good. :-)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cjk374

Quote from: Brandon on January 02, 2018, 05:45:08 PM
Just let us know what time the meet is, and where to meet, and I think we're all good. :-)

I just made the reservations, so now I can give the most important details of all. My apologies for taking so long, but there is this thing called "work" that gets in my way all the time.  :D

DATE: March 17, 2018

TIME: 11 a.m.

PLACE: Strawn's Eat Shop.  https://www.google.com/search?q=strawn%27s+eat+shop&oq=stawns+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.4331j0j7&client=tablet-android-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Parking for Strawn's is in the back of the building, which can be accessed by either turning on Alexander Ave., or an alley between Kriger Battery & Strawn's. Their parking lot is small (the place was built in 1958). I need to find a place to park our cars after we eat. Or, if some of y'all end up at the same motel, maybe you could carpool from the motel.

We will leave Strawn's between 12:30 & 1 to start the tour. Not sure how long the tour will last yet. I will be getting the timing down soon. Then we'll do a post meet supper at an as-yet determined location.

US71

Quote from: jpi on January 02, 2018, 05:43:44 PM
Depends on what Steph and I have going on, we may have time to do some sight seeing Sunday morning but by lunch time we would have to get on the road (unless we can get Monday off) so we shall see

I'm flexible at this time. At some point, I want to check I-49 south of LA 1. I need new stuff for I-49 on Facebook
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheHighwayMan3561

I have booked my hotel in Bossier City.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cl94

I'll book my hotels for the night before/after in a couple weeks once I have points from an upcoming conference. Looking forward to this.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US71

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 02, 2018, 09:35:46 PM
I have booked my hotel in Bossier City.
I'm near the airport, but that may change as time gets closer.

jpi

Friday night we are staying in Texarkana, Saturday night it is near the airport off exit 13 of I-20
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

Quote from: jpi on January 05, 2018, 10:41:17 PM
Friday night we are staying in Texarkana, Saturday night it is near the airport off exit 13 of I-20

There are some newer hotels along the north Frontage Road in Texarkana.

jpi

Already booked a Comfort Suites in the Texarkana area
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

I'm tentatively writing this one in. A lot depends on how much vacation time I have; I'm down to zero leave time again after my latest gout bout.

The attraction of this meet is the opportunity to drive a significant chunk of US 79 on the way there. Very early plans are for me to spend Wednesday night in Clarksville, Tenn., Thursday night somewhere along the route in Arkansas, and Friday night an hour or two away from the meet site.

Not sure what route I'd take on my trip back, but I'd have the chance to clinch I-20 in Louisiana and Mississippi, and US 11 in Alabama and Tennessee.

I've actually been to Shreveport before, in January 2010. Gene VanDussendorp attempted a meet in the DFW area. I stayed in Texarkana Friday and Saturday nights. After the meet broke up, I ended up taking I-20 to Shereveport, got a clinch of I-220, then took US 71 north back to Texarkana. Pretty safe to say my trip to Shreveport won't involve Texarkana this time (I don't want to endure I-30 west of Little Rock anytime again soon.)

cjk374

I did a "dry run" on the potential route today. I believe this will be a 3-4 hour tour. I must perfect the route, as I had some wrong turns, changes of mind as to where to go & how to get there. But it should entertaining & no long & drawn out.

I also found a good place to park all of the cars about one mile east of Strawn's Eat Shop (lunch place) at Super 1 Foods on Shreveport/Barksdale Hwy. So far this is turning out well. I will make another run next month to perfect the route & timing.

I will need a head count for Strawns, but not until March 10th.

oscar

Any clue about whether the extension of I-49 south from MLK Blvd. to I-220 will be opened to traffic before the meet? Last I heard the scheduled opening was "spring 2018", which at that latitude could include mid-March. Either way, there'll be something for us to see, but it might affect the itinerary.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cjk374

Quote from: oscar on January 06, 2018, 07:46:33 PM
Any clue about whether the extension of I-49 south from MLK Blvd. to I-220 will be opened to traffic before the meet? Last I heard the scheduled opening was "spring 2018", which at that latitude could include mid-March. Either way, there'll be something for us to see, but it might affect the itinerary.

http://m.ksla.com/ksla/db_350562/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=E2V4y6CD

It is a vague story, but it is all I have right now.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on January 06, 2018, 08:03:03 PM
Quote from: oscar on January 06, 2018, 07:46:33 PM

http://m.ksla.com/ksla/db_350562/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=E2V4y6CD

It is a vague story, but it is all I have right now.

I have a Google Alert set, so once I hear any updates, I'll pass them along

getemngo

I'm starting a new job and my attendance depends on how many days I'm able to take off. If I go, it will be only for the Saturday (and I'll likely carpool with someone from the Great Lakes area).
~ Sam from Michigan

hbelkins

As I mentioned above, this would give me a great opportunity to drive a great deal of US 79 on the route down. See this thread for questions about that route.

I'd hoped to stay somewhere an hour or two from the meet site Friday night, but I'll probably end up in Shreveport Friday night, unless I drive deep into Texas on US 79 on Friday.

After the meet, I'll probably head east on I-20 and see how far I can get; hopefully somewhere between Monroe and Vicksburg to spend Saturday night. Then I'll shoot across to Meridian, hop on US 11 and clinch it in Alabama, jump back on the interstate to get through Chattanooga, then back to US 11 at Cleveland and drive it to the US 11E/11W split in Knoxville to clinch it in Tennessee.

signalman

I've booked my motel stays for this meet and accompanying road trip.  I'm looking forward to this!

hbelkins

I posted in the thread I started about US 79, but it looks like this is now off the table for me. My recent gout battle has cost me all my leave time, and I won't have enough built back up to make the trip. I don't think I can get home by Monday afternoon, because I want to clinch US 11 in Alabama and Tennessee on the way home.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.