News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Red-light cameras in Utah?

Started by US 89, October 31, 2017, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

I read this article about the use of red light cameras (called “Photocop” in the article) in Utah on KSL today. I didn’t know they had ever been used previously in Utah, since local politics would seem to oppose the idea.

i-215

Crap news.  We're right in the middle of November sweeps and there's nothing going on.  So local news is coming up with shocking things to get eyeballs.  Channel 2 just ran a story about defective school fire alarms.

All the neighboring states have cities losing money because the cameras either (1) work or (2) judges dismiss the tickets. 

We've never had red light cameras in Utah.  We did have mobile speed cameras called "PhotoCop" in the mid-1990s to enforce school zones, but the legislature got maaaaaaaad when cops would abuse it (e.g., park PhotoCop on Bangerter Hwy next to Granger High School).  They wrote the law so tight, IIRC even the UDOT traffic cameras have to be needlessly blurry so the camera cannot make out a licence plate (the cameras cannot be used for enforcement).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.