News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arizona 64 - Arizona's most-dangerous road?

Started by Sonic99, December 29, 2017, 03:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic99

Tonight, yet another fatal head-on accident occurred on Highway 64 between Williams and the Grand Canyon. Less than a week ago, a quadruple fatality occurred less than 10 miles from tonight's accident. I can't even count the number of fatal accidents that have occurred since I first moved to Williams 18 years ago. My dad was a paramedic from when we moved there in 2000 to 2004 when he retired due to a back injury. This after 8 years in Phoenix. To this day, he says AZ 64 had the worst scenes he ever had to work. Even though I live in Prescott now, I still travel to Williams and north of Williams on a regular basis to see family and friends. That road scares the shit out of me. There are a number of factors contributing to the danger.

• It's a 2 lane road with exactly TWO passing lanes each direction in the appx. 65 miles between Williams and the Grand Canyon National Park Entrance. One is a four-lane section approximately 4 miles north of Interstate 40. The other is approximately 5 miles north of Valle, roughly halfway between Williams and the Canyon. Two passing lanes 30 miles apart. Which when you consider the other reasons listed, it becomes obvious as to why this road is so dangerous.
  • AZ 64 is the primary route for access to the Grand Canyon National Park, which has approximately 5 million visitors per year. The overwhelming majority of whom use this road (US 180 and the Grand Canyon Railway service a very small number by comparison).
  • I would be hard-pressed to think of anywhere else in the state, and possibly the country, where such a high percentage of drivers are foreign tourists not familiar with the area. This leads to a lot of drivers just flat out not obeying local laws because they're not from here and weren't taught our rules of the road. If I, or my friends and family, had a dollar for every time we saw a vehicle being driven by someone who is most likely a foreign tourist crossing double yellow lines, trying to pass on shoulders, passing in turning lanes, or just generally driving in a brashly dangerous way, we'd be able to pay for the upgrades ourselves.
  • The amount of wildlife in this area is extremely high. Not just pronghorn or mule deer, but elk which could weight well over 1000 lbs. These animals are everywhere out here. And they are a massive (both figuratively and literally) hazard for anyone driving this road.
  • While there isn't a lot of vegetation in the middle part of the trip, there are hills and curves constantly along the 65 miles between Williams and the Grand Canyon. The tall ponderosa pines along the northern and southern segments add and another element to visibility of oncoming traffic which could very well be in your lane when you least expect it.
  • Scattered along the 65 miles are numerous side roads and turns where local residents turn in and out. Almost all of these residents have to haul water for their water supply (wells are far too deep and expensive) and have to turn on and off of AZ 64 with tanks holding hundreds of gallons of water either in the bed of their truck or on a trailer behind.
  • In addition to the local vehicles which are either heavy or otherwise high profile, the tourists aren't just passenger vehicles. Tour buses, motorhomes, and large vans are concentrated on this highway probably in higher numbers than any other highway in Arizona. This results in a significant speed differential and maneuverability differential all combined into one lane each direction. So you end up with a motorhome doing 50, a bus doing 60, a passenger car doing 80, and a truck with 500 gallons of water in the back all trying to compete for space. People get stuck behind the motorhome, and everyone else backs up. People start looking for ways around which as mentioned before involves going into the oncoming lane.

Take all of the above factors, and now combine them into two lanes, one each way. After looking at this, you would think that surely there's plans to upgrade it for safety, right? Nope, There's been zero studies, zero projects proposed, zero funds allocated for improving the safety of the road. We get lucky if they patch a hole in the road. People are killed on a terribly frequent basis on this road, and countless more close calls happen on a daily basis. ADOT does absolutely nothing for us. I understand there would be a large cost associated with making it a divided highway for the entire 65 miles. But to sit back and do nothing and fall back on the excuses of "there's not enough traffic in the winter to warrant a divided highway" (I've heard this one before), "the cost of widening would be too high" (understandable, but to do nothing is just wrong), and "well the accidents happen because people break the law by speeding or crossing a double yellow line" is just passing the buck and doesn't do anything to prevent future tragedies or address the dangerous configuration of the road.

I apologize for the long rant, but I nearly got hit myself today by a foreign tourist crossing a double yellow line (and when I gestured to them, they just looked at me confused as to why I was upset). And I am tired of holding my breath every time I see a post of "bad accident on 64, avoid the road" while I message friends and family trying to make sure they're not involved. If anyone knows of some kind of study or analysis of this highway done by ADOT, or projects planned for the future that I've missed, please share that information. Because all of the locals are under the impression that ADOT just has no regard for our concerns and there's nothing we can do about it.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Hurricane Rex

Surly it should've been at least 4 lanes by now with the traffic and safety concerns. I understand if you drop it back to 2 in the national park but 4 outside the park is reasonable.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Max Rockatansky

I'd say AZ 260 is way more dangerous east of Payson to Show Low.  Much of it east of Christopher Creek is still 55 MPH two lane with heavy forest growth and big elk herd.  The traffic from the locals is far more agreesive than anything you'll see on 64.  64 north from Williams is a straight shot with good passing sight lines.  In dozens of trips to the Grand Canyon the accident I recall on 64 was east out of the park towards US 89.  That said, I'm sure the traffic count is high enough in several months now to warrant an expressway to at least Tusayan. 

Bobby5280

Refusal to improve safety on 2-lane roads with high fatality rates must be a syndrome in Western states like Arizona and Colorado. Here in Oklahoma a few different roads, such as OK-49 just North of Lawton, have been 4-laned in response to too many head-on collisions.

For example, I really really dislike US-24 NE of Colorado Springs. I frequently use this road when visiting family in the area. Despite all the development in the Falcon and Black Forest areas NE of the Springs much of US-24 is still a dinky 2-lane road prone to head on collisions and t-bone collisions at various intersections. I think the road should be 4-laned clear to Limon, but 4-laning it to at least Calhan would be acceptable. Between Garrett Road and Peyton the road is just too dangerous for the level of traffic it has.

If ADOT can't afford to 4-lane AZ-64 then perhaps it should modify the road to be a like Northern parts of I-93 in New Hampshire, but without the freeway style exits. I-93 drops down to 3 and 2 lanes, but has a physical guardrail divider on the centerline. There's more than enough space on the ROW to do this. Adding a 3rd passing lane and the physical centerline divider would prevent the head-on collisions. Certain intersections could be converted into RIROs. They should probably do this along parts of US-180 North out of Flagstaff as well.

Max Rockatansky

Before we get going too nuts on bashing AZ 64 for being unsafe, does anyone have the actual traffic and accident data for the route?

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2017, 04:38:47 PM
Before we get going too nuts on bashing AZ 64 for being unsafe, does anyone have the actual traffic and accident data for the route?

Pshaw!  Just FritzOwl that bad boy!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Revive 755

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 29, 2017, 04:48:03 PM
http://azdot.gov/docs/default-source/planning/2016-aadt-publication-state-routes.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Crash data for AZ 64 would probably require a FOIA.

Unless the crash data was through the stratosphere I don't see a need to expand 64 north of Winslow.  Interestingly though the traffic data for 64 is similar to the section of 260 I cited above in addition to AZ 74 which I personally would rank among the most dangerous state highways.

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2017, 04:45:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2017, 04:38:47 PM

Pshaw!  Just FritzOwl that bad boy!

Didn't Fritz propose a bridge over the Grand Canyon once?  Hell, Roadgeekteen would probably propose an extension to Europa or something.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2017, 05:26:00 PM
Didn't Fritz propose a bridge over the Grand Canyon once?  Hell, Roadgeekteen would probably propose an extension to Europa or something.

I don't think so.  He proposed an Interstate through the park, but I can't find anything about putting one over the canyon itself.

Quote from: FritzOwl on August 08, 2017, 11:26:45 PM
In my plans, my planned freeway spur does not connect to I-17 and would have to be an x40. I would replace SR64 from Williams, up to the part, and call it I-640
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2017, 06:00:36 PM

I don't think so.  He proposed an Interstate through the park, but I can't find anything about putting one over the canyon itself.

In my plans, my planned freeway spur does not connect to I-17 and would have to be an x40. I would replace SR64 from Williams, up to the part, and call it I-640

Maybe I'm thinking of that whole saga of putting a Interstate on Tioga Pass Road and Glacier Point Road...

US 89

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 29, 2017, 10:27:39 AM
Refusal to improve safety on 2-lane roads with high fatality rates must be a syndrome in Western states

At least New Mexico recognized that fatalities on US 666 (now 491) were too high and four laned the road. That doesn't mean they did a good job, but at least they did it.

Utah's most dangerous 2-lane highway (and its busiest) is US 6 between Spanish Fork and Green River. They've done a good job with adding passing lanes and four-laning in certain locations, but they really need to just 4-lane the whole thing. There are some areas of difficult terrain between Price and Spanish Fork, but there's no reason there shouldn't be 4 lanes on the rest of it.

Hurricane Rex

Gettung a new interstate through a national park, let alone this park, is flat out impossible without hurting national park lands in general.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 30, 2017, 05:27:43 AM

Gettung a new interstate through a national park, let alone this park, is flat out impossible without hurting national park lands in general.

In the case of Grand Canyon National Park it would be obstructed due to the Tusayan Ruins and likely others that may be uncovered/undiscovered.  The terrain of AZ 64 north of Williams is surprisingly flat and very workable, it could in theory be widened to an expressway to the boundary of Grand Canyon National Park.  The traffic count is approaching the level ADOT generally considers widens a roadway out to an expressway, but it isn't quite there yet.  The crash data might suggest otherwise for the all the reasons the OP cited, but then again I haven't really found it to be all that bad myself outside of the summer.

One thing I think we all neglected to mention; why not just take US 180 out of Flagstaff as an alternate?  The jog on AZ 64 to the Grand Canyon once US 180 multiplexes it is substantially less busy.   That way you're only dealing with 23 miles of AZ 64 and get a nice view of the San Francisco Peaks.

Bobby5280

If there is a lot of foreign tourists in rental cars on route, as the OP says, then that might make road improvement a higher priority (especially if the foreign tourists are frequently ignoring rules of the road out of selfishness, stupidity, etc.). They become a hazard for other drivers who are following the rules of the road. It's a tragedy if anyone gets killed in a car accident. But I really feel bad for the motorists who die on the highways due to another motorist's selfishness and stupidity. I feel less bad for a motorist who gets himself killed by driving recklessly.

Slightly widening AZ-64 and putting a guard rail right down the middle of it would go a long way to idiot-proofing the road without having to 4-lane the whole thing.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 31, 2017, 05:04:55 PM
If there is a lot of foreign tourists in rental cars on route, as the OP says, then that might make road improvement a higher priority (especially if the foreign tourists are frequently ignoring rules of the road out of selfishness, stupidity, etc.). They become a hazard for other drivers who are following the rules of the road. It's a tragedy if anyone gets killed in a car accident. But I really feel bad for the motorists who die on the highways due to another motorist's selfishness and stupidity. I feel less bad for a motorist who gets himself killed by driving recklessly.

Slightly widening AZ-64 and putting a guard rail right down the middle of it would go a long way to idiot-proofing the road without having to 4-lane the whole thing.

The center barrier plan doesn't work in practice all that well.  Check out the 18 Mile Stretch of US 1 in the Keys as an example.  People lose their minds and will crank it up to 100 MPH plus in those passing zones.  AZ 64 is nowhere near that level of bad, really a couple more passing zones and problem goes away.  Certainly helps when the driver's are afraid to pass slow traffic which is certainly doable on AZ 64. 

kdk

I often take the US 180 route myself every time I have driven up from Phoenix to the GC, and US 180 isn't too bad once you get out of the residential areas- traffic count is low enough that you can pass a slow vehicle if need be.  Because of this realistically I didn't realize this road is so dangerous, but I have noticed that the traffic count on 64 has gone way up and there is more tourism going there, both from other US states and from other countries.  I also found going in on the east side also is easier now that 89 has been widened up to Cameron, pretty much a freeway now most of the way from Flagstaff.

But with so much of the foreign tourism now coming to the GC via Las Vegas and not Phoenix, all of that traffic is going to go up via AZ 64 and not US 89.

I haven't heard any of this road being a danger in any of the Phoenix news yet.  That can make a difference, in the 90's US 93 between Wickenburg and Kingman was starting to be named as one of America's most dangerous roads, and all of the sudden it became a budget priority, even though it was long overdue being the route between Phoenix and Las Vegas.  (although I will argue finishing some of the 2 lane parts there is way overdue still).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.