News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Let’s Rebuild America

Started by Plutonic Panda, January 19, 2018, 06:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you support the Let’s Rebuild America initiative?

Yes
9 (52.9%)
No
4 (23.5%)
Undecided
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2018, 11:53:12 AM
How much do you think a cashier should be getting paid?

$13 per hour in a state like Arkansas, $15 for the US average, and $16 where I live (from $13 to $18 based on cost of living).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on January 23, 2018, 11:58:54 AM

$13 per hour in a state like Arkansas, $15 for the US average, and $16 where I live (from $13 to $18 based on cost of living).

It's a rolling number.  Let's say those salaries are true.

Then the person making $10 an hour in a more skilled position should be making $17 or $18 an hour.

Now a person making $15 an hour should be making $22 an hour.

The supervisor of that section, making $20 an hour, should be making $28 an hour.

Someone with a college degree doesn't want to be making less than what the barely-high school grads are making, so they demand more.

Now, in order to pay those salaries, the stores and companies need to mark up their products.

Which means the people making the lower salaries can't afford the products again.

It's all a rolling catch 22.

vdeane

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 23, 2018, 10:12:51 AM
It's one more box to fill out.  Hardly a burden. 
What box?  I've never once had to fill out a form when driving across the border.  And are they going to have Canada relay that info back or something?

Quote from: kalvado on January 23, 2018, 10:56:04 AM
My other concern would be that tolls would be redirected to some very remotely related projects. MTA already toll Manhattan river crossings to pay for whatever; PA turnpike subsidy for city transportation is another such situation.
I am dead sure NYS would love to rip off everyone around to pay for NYC subway; and Tappan Zee bridge financing is still a question. Now if tolls becoming a go-to method for each and every state need would be legalized...
I guarantee I-80 in PA will be tolled in a nanosecond if this goes through.  And probably every other interstate in PA soon after.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

So do you want your Big Mac to cost $8 and your can of Ravioli to cost $2.50?

Someone pays the costs for arbitrary minimum wages, and here's a hint -- it's the consumer.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on January 23, 2018, 01:01:36 PM

Someone pays the costs for arbitrary minimum wages, and here's a hint -- it's the consumer.

Just because businesses will hike their prices doesn't mean they have to. If they just chilled for a while, especially big businesses, before going all crazy with price hikes, people will eventually have more money in their pocket and buy more products.

Much higher than $13, and there might be a few more long-lasting issues, but in the long-term, higher minimum wages will inevitably help the economy. There's my $13 worth  :D

US71

Please show me your evidence. Fox News doesn't count.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

vdeane

If Big Macs don't cost that much in Australia, I'm not sure why they would here.
http://www.businessinsider.com/big-mac-cost-around-the-world-2017-1?r=UK&IR=T/#-11
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-31/minimum-wage-how-does-australia-compare/7461794

That $17.70 AUD currently converts to $14.14 USD.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 23, 2018, 10:12:51 AM
Quote from: kphoger on January 22, 2018, 06:49:47 PM
Exactly.  Imagine living in Mexico full-time on a visa, with a US-tagged vehicle.  You spend 50 weeks out of the year driving outside of the United States, only coming into the US to visit family and renew your paperwork.  It would certainly be unfair to tax you based on your odometer readings.

Well, sucks for the 10 people who actually do that.  What a silly hypothetical. 

There are approximately 1 million US citizens living in Mexico.  A lot more than 10 of those are driving US-plated vehicles.  In order to register a US car in Mexico, you have to officially nationalize it in Mexico through a broker, which is costly and can only be done for certain model years and only for NAFTA-produced vehicles.  In order to register a vehicle in Mexico, you have to be living there on a resident visa.  There are a lot of Americans living in Mexico on 180-day tourist cards who simply make a border run every six months to get a new tourist card, and plenty of others living there on a visa who have chosen not to nationalize their vehicles.  The latter is not only because of the hassle and cost involved in nationalization, but also because, once you've nationalized your car in Mexico, you can no longer re-nationalize it in the US.  Granted, my personal association with US citizens living in Mexico is limited to a handful of people, but they have all had at least one of their vehicles plated in the US.

Basically, rest assured that my concern was far from a silly hypothetical.  It is the reality for many thousands of American citizens.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2018, 12:04:37 PM

It's a rolling number.  Let's say those salaries are true.

Then the person making $10 an hour in a more skilled position should be making $17 or $18 an hour.

Now a person making $15 an hour should be making $22 an hour.

The supervisor of that section, making $20 an hour, should be making $28 an hour.

Someone with a college degree doesn't want to be making less than what the barely-high school grads are making, so they demand more.

Now, in order to pay those salaries, the stores and companies need to mark up their products.

Which means the people making the lower salaries can't afford the products again.

It's all a rolling catch 22.
I will also add the potential for job loss because companies not being able to afford the new wage workers.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

kkt

Many of the existing interstates were paid for largely with Federal money on the premise that they were for interstate commerce.  There aren't lots of similar quality routes around for drivers to take if a state or local government decides to run up the tolls sky high, there's a captive market.  They shouldn't be allowed high tolls that go to subsidize other routes.  Maybe to maintain or replace the route that's tolled.

Some states require that the minimum wage be paid to everyone, including servers in restaurants and similar tipped jobs.

UCFKnights

Quote from: kkt on January 23, 2018, 04:36:20 PM
Many of the existing interstates were paid for largely with Federal money on the premise that they were for interstate commerce.  There aren't lots of similar quality routes around for drivers to take if a state or local government decides to run up the tolls sky high, there's a captive market.  They shouldn't be allowed high tolls that go to subsidize other routes.  Maybe to maintain or replace the route that's tolled.

Some states require that the minimum wage be paid to everyone, including servers in restaurants and similar tipped jobs.
Tipped jobs still have the same minimum wage, except tips may be counted towards the minimum wage, not just what the employer pays you. Some states have the minimum the employer pays you as less then minimum wage, but the employer must guarantee you make minimum wage after tips

kkt

Quote from: UCFKnights on January 23, 2018, 05:57:50 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 23, 2018, 04:36:20 PM

Tipped jobs still have the same minimum wage, except tips may be counted towards the minimum wage, not just what the employer pays you. Some states have the minimum the employer pays you as less then minimum wage, but the employer must guarantee you make minimum wage after tips

In your state, maybe.

formulanone

While I totally understand that there will be an increase in prices (there's no such thing as an evaporative "cost of doing business"), why is there the inflated scare of tripling of the price?

Put it in another words: Why is it okay for yearly increases in...

Unprepared food/drinks
    New equipment
    Maintenance costs
    Uniforms
    Property taxes
    Utilities
    Focus-group testing
    Advertising
    Franchise costs

All of which are varying amounts. The yearly cost of un-prepped food is far more than a worker's salary, the cost of the equipment is far greater than the yearly wages of a worker, the combined prices of advertising is more than a yearly salary, and the franchise costs are more than a few yearly wages. Labor is not the most expensive thing in the fast food model; maybe it is at a lemonade stand. Those are costs the franchise owner pays to keep the business running. Each year, they're subject to inflation. And because we don't easily see that - after all, the fry machine and annoying new advertisement didn't mix up my order - it's "understandable" that they increase.

But that person behind the counter, dunking fries, or flipping the burgers (do they still flip them in fast-food places?)...while they are a vaguely replaceable labor unit, is also someone subject to inflation in food, home, clothing, utility, and transportation costs. Fixing their wages is an easy target, but since almost everything else but the property tax gets a free pass on price increases, citing "free market", it's understandably an unfair one at that.

In the end, we'll pay another $1.00-1.50 for that Extra Value Meal and not $5. Scaremongers, be gone. Or, you'll buy your meal elsewhere.

Of course, they can be replaced by a touch screen now that the technology is there. The robot and/or multi-matic-mmmburger-maker is still going to cost a lot more in the short run, but maybe not 20 years from now. It evens out. There will be less of those jobs, the ones getting $12-18/hour will be doing more work to justify their new wages.

That said, being fast food manager at a busy location is probably quite stressful and actually difficult.

kalvado

Quote from: formulanone on January 23, 2018, 07:33:52 PM

While I totally understand that there will be an increase in prices (there's no such thing as an evaporative "cost of doing business"), why is there the inflated scare of tripling of the price?

Put it in another words: Why is it okay for yearly increases in...

Unprepared food/drinks
    New equipment
    Maintenance costs
    Uniforms
    Property taxes
    Utilities
    Focus-group testing
    Advertising
    Franchise costs

All of which are varying amounts. The yearly cost of un-prepped food is far more than a worker's salary, the cost of the equipment is far greater than the yearly wages of a worker, the combined prices of advertising is more than a yearly salary, and the franchise costs are more than a few yearly wages. Labor is not the most expensive thing in the fast food model; maybe it is at a lemonade stand. Those are costs the franchise owner pays to keep the business running. Each year, they're subject to inflation. And because we don't easily see that - after all, the fry machine and annoying new advertisement didn't mix up my order - it's "understandable" that they increase.

But that person behind the counter, dunking fries, or flipping the burgers (do they still flip them in fast-food places?)...while they are a vaguely replaceable labor unit, is also someone subject to inflation in food, home, clothing, utility, and transportation costs. Fixing their wages is an easy target, but since almost everything else but the property tax gets a free pass on price increases, citing "free market", it's understandably an unfair one at that.

In the end, we'll pay another $1.00-1.50 for that Extra Value Meal and not $5. Scaremongers, be gone. Or, you'll buy your meal elsewhere.

Of course, they can be replaced by a touch screen now that the technology is there. The robot and/or multi-matic-mmmburger-maker is still going to cost a lot more in the short run, but maybe not 20 years from now. It evens out. There will be less of those jobs, the ones getting $12-18/hour will be doing more work to justify their new wages.

That said, being fast food manager at a busy location is probably quite stressful and actually difficult.

Whatever that worth:

Labor is expensive, it is one of biggest cost components in almost any business. That is why we need automation and slaves undocumented immigrants

US71

So there's no money for employees, but plenty of money for corporate jets and multi-million dollar CEO bonuses (and congressional bribes).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kalvado

Quote from: US71 on January 23, 2018, 08:08:57 PM
So there's no money for employees, but plenty of money for corporate jets and multi-million dollar CEO bonuses (and congressional bribes).
Where? Most fast food places are run as franchise, not as multimillion dollar business.
And there are about 5 million food service workers nationwide. Adding $2 per hour, 30hrsx50 weeks = $15 billion/year
Those CEOs and representatives are relatively cheap...

webny99

Quote from: kalvado on January 23, 2018, 09:08:39 PM
Where? Most fast food places are run as franchise, not as multimillion dollar business.
And there are about 5 million food service workers nationwide. Adding $2 per hour, 30hrsx50 weeks = $15 billion/year
The companies are still massive, even if they're run as franchises. And I have a feeling $15 billion is a drop in the bucket for the entire fast food industry. I'm with US71 on this one.

J N Winkler

We have a minimum wage partly to keep employers from exploiting their monopsony power.  And in the fast-food restaurant sector, automation both of order-taking and food preparation is on its way no matter what.  Increasing the minimum wage merely encourages substitution of capital (in this case, equipment) for labor and accelerates the process somewhat.  The first-generation technology will seem raw and initially consumer preference will favor humans, but after a few rounds of continuous improvement it will switch to the machines.  It will be the story of self-checkouts all over again.

Ultimately, I believe we will have to devise an incomes policy if we wish to ensure the productivity gains of automation are fairly distributed.  That might entail universal basic income, a greatly reduced work week (some have suggested fifteen hours), beefed-up access to education or skills training for people whose jobs have vanished due to automation, or some combination of all of the above.  What won't work for long is setting people to do exactly the same jobs that machines can do faster and better--that is very undermining to dignity of labor.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

formulanone

And the $15,000,000,000 goes right back into the economy. I believe that fuels growth in other industries, services, taxes, and reduces the need for public assistance. They're the ones spending nearly every last dime. It doesn't go down the drain, and hardly much of it gets saved at those incredible 0.2% interest rates savings accounts are offering. And with that, it can increase credit, reduce bad debt, stabilize lending power, and increase potential home ownership. All good measures of a robust economy.

Not saying it's perfect, but don't pretend it's the equivalent of burning money.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

$13/hr, no sir! Try $8.50/hr.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on January 23, 2018, 10:46:17 PM

And the $15,000,000,000 goes right back into the economy. I believe that fuels growth in other industries, services, taxes, and reduces the need for public assistance. They're the ones spending nearly every last dime. It doesn't go down the drain, and hardly much of it gets saved at those incredible 0.2% interest rates savings accounts are offering. And with that, it can increase credit, reduce bad debt, stabilize lending power, and increase potential home ownership. All good measures of a robust economy.

Not saying it's perfect, but don't pretend it's the equivalent of burning money.

Isn't the $15,000,000,000 already in the economy?  It's simply held by different people.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 24, 2018, 03:31:10 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 23, 2018, 10:46:17 PM

Isn't the $15,000,000,000 already in the economy?  It's simply held by different people.
Canceled out by $20,000,000,000,000 in debt. That doesn't even include unfunded liabilities.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.