News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Deceptively large states

Started by CapeCodder, January 20, 2018, 04:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 25, 2018, 07:47:38 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 25, 2018, 01:33:09 AM
I've only been to Iowa twice and both times were in 2008. I remember this city called Ankeny that is just north of Des Moines, before I get there my friend kept telling me that it's some rural town out in the middle of nowhere, then I get there and I'm looking around and I'm thinking what is he talking about? This is just like any other American suburb, but I remember certain areas of Ankeny that were pretty rural in character too but did not think I was in the middle of nowhere only being about 10 miles from downtown Des Moines.

:-D :-D At anyone calling Ankeny rural. It's as cookie-cutter, boring suburban as one can get in the Des Moines metro. :pan: (Well, maybe not West Des Moines...)
Yeah I never got the vibe that Ankeny was rural. You're description of it is pretty spot on.

webny99

^ From one of my posts upthread:

Quote from: webny99 on January 25, 2018, 10:21:39 AM
I've never been to Des Moines, but from what I've heard from friends, Ankeny is basically the new, fast growing, Lego-homes suburb of Des Moines. So perhaps it was indeed more rural in 2008 than it is now, ten years later.

adventurernumber1

Interstate 90 through the western part of South Dakota is absolutely beautiful. I was truly mesmerized when I saw it for the first time on CrossCountryRoad's YouTube channel a few years ago (a series of videos showing Interstate 90 Eastbound through the state of South Dakota). South Dakota and Oklahoma (and Texas as well if you count it) are probably the most interesting Great Plains states (due to having their respective large parts of the state that are unbelievably scenic).

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on January 25, 2018, 10:21:39 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 25, 2018, 07:47:38 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 25, 2018, 01:33:09 AM
I've only been to Iowa twice and both times were in 2008. I remember this city called Ankeny that is just north of Des Moines, before I get there my friend kept telling me that it's some rural town out in the middle of nowhere, then I get there and I'm looking around and I'm thinking what is he talking about? This is just like any other American suburb, but I remember certain areas of Ankeny that were pretty rural in character too but did not think I was in the middle of nowhere only being about 10 miles from downtown Des Moines.

:-D :-D At anyone calling Ankeny rural. It's as cookie-cutter, boring suburban as one can get in the Des Moines metro. :pan: (Well, maybe not West Des Moines...)

I've never been to Des Moines, but from what I've heard from friends, Ankeny is basically the new, fast growing, Lego-homes suburb of Des Moines. So perhaps it was indeed more rural in 2008 than it is now, ten years later.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 25, 2018, 09:43:49 AM
Quote from: DandyDan on January 25, 2018, 07:44:19 AM
Anyone who thinks Iowa is boring should drive in Northeast Iowa, because there is decent scenery there. You gotta love the Driftless Area.
That's just bleed over from Minnesota.  :rolleyes:  My top five contenders for most boring would be:
[list snipped]

You've obviously never been to either of the Dakotas :-D With regards to Iowa, I think it even looks boring on a map. The road network is so neat and structured and consistent that I have trouble believing there's much variation in the landscape.

[/list]
Probably is. But it was pretty developed when I was there 10 years ago. All I remember is eating at this place called Iowa Beef Steakhouse and going bowling. I found Iowa Beef Steakhouse by following US-69 south. And I remember this bell next to the State Capitol.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.