Three divided highway stubs in west-central Indiana

Started by Aaron Camp, February 01, 2018, 10:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Camp

There are two short sections of US-41, one along the Wabash River and around the far-northern part of Terre Haute and the other east of Veedersburg in Indiana, as well as a very short section of US-36 in Vermillion County at the US-36/IN-63 interchange, that are four-lane divided highways. As far as I know, there are no plans and no need for US-36 in west-central Indiana to be four-laned in the foreseeable future, and there isn't any need to four-lane US-41 between Terre Haute and the northern terminus of IN-63, because IN-63 is the north-south four-lane divided highway corridor through west-central Indiana.

I have a few questions about these divided highway stubs:

• Were there any plans to make US-41 between Terre Haute and the northern terminus of IN-63 a divided highway prior to IN-63 north of Terre Haute being built as a divided highway?
  • If INDOT had plans to divide US-41 between Terre Haute and the northern terminus of IN-63, why were those plans scrapped and IN-63 chosen to be built as a four-lane divided highway instead?
  • If INDOT never had any plans to divide all of US-41 between Terre Haute and the northern terminus of IN-63, why was section of US-41 north of Terre Haute and the section east of Veedersburg built as a divided highway?
  • Were there ever any plans by INDOT to divide US-36 through Vermillion and/or Parke Counties?

Avalanchez71

I still think that they should number SR 63 as US 41W or for the folks that don't like those directional suffixes how about US 41A.

Moose

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 01, 2018, 01:40:56 PM
I still think that they should number SR 63 as US 41W or for the folks that don't like those directional suffixes how about US 41A.

There are huge signs up telling people to take 63

westerninterloper

I've never heard of plans to 4-lane US-41 north of Terre Haute. The sections you mentioned were likely built as part of the construction of I-74 in Veedersburg, and SR 63 north of Terre Haute. I think the Terre Haute section was completed in the mid 1960s.

I've not seen or heard of any plans for US 36.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Revive 755

Quote from: Aaron Camp on February 01, 2018, 10:13:00 AM
There are two short sections of US-41, one along the Wabash River and around the far-northern part of Terre Haute and the other east of Veedersburg in Indiana, as well as a very short section of US-36 in Vermillion County at the US-36/IN-63 interchange, that are four-lane divided highways.

To me these look more like short stretches of four lane highways built where there is slightly more traffic anticipated than the stubs of a route where future extensions of the four lane sections were planned.  When first reading the post I was thinking these had evidence more along the lines of the stub on MO 79 north of I-70:  AerialStreetview

Moose

At least with the southern most section, it was to replace the obnoxious diagonal route thru north Terre Haute known as Lafayette Ave. I believe it was completed before they did IN 63

Captain Jack

Referencing a 1976 Indiana road map, the 4 lane section of US 41 north from Terre Haute was complete, as was the stretch at Veedersburg. IN-63 was only 4-lanes to Clinton, and another small stretch just north of US 36. The rest of this route at this time was still marked as a secondary route, with a few jogs, and US 41 was shown as a primary route.  I am sure most people were still selecting the US 41 route at this time.

My guess is IN-63 was the chosen route for some time. It is a little more direct. The terrain to build is much more favorable than trying to go through Turkey Run. Also, you would have had to build bypasses for Rockville and Attica, where IN-63 doesn't really go through any towns.

Using IN-63 made sense, what doesn't make sense is INDOT's continuing refusal to switch the routes. This was part of a ongoing plan to link Chicago and Evansville with a 4-lane route, it should have the US 41 designation the entire length. INDOT eagerly yanks US routes out of places like South Bend, Ft. Wayne, Indy, even Terre Haute, but can't do it in Rockville.

As for the interchange stubs at Veedersburg and IN-63/US-36, that is a common practice at many interchanges. It helps traffic flow around turning cars, and even if there is no current plans, should the road ever need to be widened, bridge replacement will not be necessary.

2trailertrucker

IIRC, The route that is now US 41/IN 63/ IS 41 was planned to be interstate 63.

Captain Jack

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 01, 2018, 01:40:56 PM

No, they should simply switch IN-63 and US 41. This isn't Tennessee.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.