News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Songs that annoy you/send you into a rage?

Started by CapeCodder, February 08, 2018, 03:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Basically, any song that I hear on the radio that is the single version instead of the album version drives me bat&*#@ crazy.  I cannot stand it when I hear the 3:00 version of an 8 or 9 minute song that butchers out the best parts and omits a verse or two.  Kills the whole experience of a great song.  Roundabout by Yes is about 8 1/2 minutes on the album, but comes in at under 3 1/2 minutes on the single.  Same with Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hotdogPi

Quote from: inkyatari on February 23, 2018, 07:41:55 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 23, 2018, 07:21:10 PM
Nothing sends me into a rage, but I do have some I strongly dislike:

Bon Jovi. :-C~

I absolutely dislike 99% of bon joki's output

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

freebrickproductions

Quote from: inkyatari on February 23, 2018, 07:44:17 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 23, 2018, 07:42:12 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on February 23, 2018, 04:10:37 PM
I can relate to being fond of Elton John, but Bennie and The Jets... I just find annoying.
Same here. I wonder if a studio version exists as well, because all I ever hear is that live version.

That is the studio version.  That's all sound effects.

No wonder it's so annoying...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: 1 on February 23, 2018, 08:36:20 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on February 23, 2018, 07:41:55 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 23, 2018, 07:21:10 PM
Nothing sends me into a rage, but I do have some I strongly dislike:

Bon Jovi. :-C~

I absolutely dislike 99% of bon joki's output

You are 403: Forbidden :pan:from using this cringe photo ever again!

404: Spell Check Not Found. :-D
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 23, 2018, 08:32:57 PM
Basically, any song that I hear on the radio that is the single version instead of the album version drives me bat&*#@ crazy.  I cannot stand it when I hear the 3:00 version of an 8 or 9 minute song that butchers out the best parts and omits a verse or two.  Kills the whole experience of a great song.  Roundabout by Yes is about 8 1/2 minutes on the album, but comes in at under 3 1/2 minutes on the single.  Same with Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who.

I can't say I've ever heard the single versions of these songs on radio, but the single edit that I hate the most is CSN's Suite Judy Blue Eyes. Also the sloppy editing done on Eagles' Best of My Love.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

How about The Load Out/ Stay by Jackson Browne?  Some stations leave out The Load Out and start with just Stay.   I love the David Lindley falsetto especially after listening to about 6 or 7 minutes of the song, it makes the waiting worth it.  When it starts out with the Stay part its less than one minute before that classic falsetto.

Light My Fire by The Doors too, sucks in single version as the middle organ solo is cut out completely.

Goodbye Stranger by Supertramp's single leaves out the keyboard bridge before the chorus.  That is bogus to not hear either.

Magic Man by Heart leaves out the instrumental center section including the Moog organ, in the single version and cuts right to the last verse.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

Quote from: roadman65 on February 24, 2018, 04:11:09 PM

How about The Load Out/ Stay by Jackson Browne?  Some stations leave out The Load Out and start with just Stay.   I love the David Lindley falsetto especially after listening to about 6 or 7 minutes of the song, it makes the waiting worth it.  When it starts out with the Stay part its less than one minute before that classic falsetto.

Light My Fire by The Doors too, sucks in single version as the middle organ solo is cut out completely.

Goodbye Stranger by Supertramp's single leaves out the keyboard bridge before the chorus.  That is bogus to not hear either.

Magic Man by Heart leaves out the instrumental center section including the Moog organ, in the single version and cuts right to the last verse.

Then there are those songs that have been edited/shortened for content; the one that immediately comes to mind was Jefferson Starship's (and Marty Balin's) Miracles from the Red Octopus album (1975).  It was pretty much a given that there would be a highly censored radio version, since Balin sings about "going down on you" and "dancing inside you" about two-thirds through the song; that was neatly snipped out for the 3+ minute radio version.  Since I had purchase the album before hearing the edited radio version, it was humorous at the time to wonder what would have happened if the full 6-minute-and-change album version was aired in error.  I was still living in L.A. at the time, and remember the Cal State L.A. campus station (which could be received along both I-10 and CA 60 from downtown L.A. out to about El Monte) playing the full version late at night (campus stations could generally get away with that sort of thing unless there was public outcry).

adventurernumber1

Quote from: sparker on February 24, 2018, 05:43:38 PM

Then there are those songs that have been edited/shortened for content; the one that immediately comes to mind was Jefferson Starship's (and Marty Balin's) Miracles from the Red Octopus album (1975).  It was pretty much a given that there would be a highly censored radio version, since Balin sings about "going down on you" and "dancing inside you" about two-thirds through the song; that was neatly snipped out for the 3+ minute radio version.  Since I had purchase the album before hearing the edited radio version, it was humorous at the time to wonder what would have happened if the full 6-minute-and-change album version was aired in error.  I was still living in L.A. at the time, and remember the Cal State L.A. campus station (which could be received along both I-10 and CA 60 from downtown L.A. out to about El Monte) playing the full version late at night (campus stations could generally get away with that sort of thing unless there was public outcry).

"Break On Through (To The Other Side)" by The Doors was also a victim of some (minor) censorship. After hearing the true version many, many times (where "She get(s) high" is in the lyrics), it was extremely weird to hear Jim Morrison yelling "SHE GET" several times on a censored version on my newly-bought Forrest Gump Soundtrack, and I died laughing when I heard it - I would imagine there was similar strange censoring on most radio stations (though I have never heard it on the radio before).

Also, I was amazed and excited to hear "Foreplay / Long Time" by Boston on my local radio station, because it is a song that is nearly 8 minutes long in length, and I (in my head) applauded them for playing it - as I believe I heard the whole entire song being played - however, that is the only vivid memory I have of ever hearing that song on the general radio.

Maybe I'm oblivious to something, but I honestly don't see what the problem is with playing long songs on the radio.  :-P
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

TheHighwayMan3561

The most famous incident regarding the Doors and censorship of course had nothing to do with a single edit; rather when they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, Sullivan had asked them to change the line "girl we couldn't get much higher" . The band agreed verbally but Morrison sang the line anyway during their performance, which made Sullivan furious.

Brandon

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 24, 2018, 08:38:10 PM
The most famous incident regarding the Doors and censorship of course had nothing to do with a single edit; rather when they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, Sullivan had asked them to change the line "girl we couldn't get much higher" . The band agreed verbally but Morrison sang the line anyway during their performance, which made Sullivan furious.

Morrison was going to sing the changed line, but was nervous during the performance and screwed up, singing the original line.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Brandon on February 24, 2018, 09:21:52 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 24, 2018, 08:38:10 PM

Morrison was going to sing the changed line, but was nervous during the performance and screwed up, singing the original line.

OTOH, Mick Jagger did honor the Sullivan Show's request to change "Let's Spend the Night Together" to "Let's Spend Some Time Together"

The other edits you hear now are in Dire Straits's Money For Nothing in the 2nd verse where Mark Knopfler refers to "That Little <British word for cigarette>."  MTV edited the "You Don't Know How it Feels" video by Tom Petty by reversing the recording for a split second so that "joint" sounds like "tnioj"  Yet, some stations still let the "Who the F are you?" line in Who Are You? by The Who slip through, as well as the unedited version of Jet Airliner by Steve Miller without "Funky kicks" replacing "Funky S...".  Speaking of the latter, I've heard 3 different versions of that song on the radio: One that omits the Moog intro entirely, another that has the Moog intro, but goes right into the lyrics at the beginning of the song proper, and the third has the intro and a full instrumental verse before the lyrics start. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

Its the executives at CBS that freaked when Morrison said FU to them or screwed up.

Considering that CBS was the one that caused the Rural Purge and allowed All In The Family and later Maude to air.  Both shows being controversial and featuring stuff that their network a few years back did not want even hinted on their network, it really is so ironic that they even cared.

Sheryl Crowe

inkyatari

I think I posted this before, but there's a few stations here in the Chicago area that are/were owned by Bonneville Broadcasting, which is owned by mormon investors. Anyway, they have weird censorship on their stations.  In the song "Rock Star" by Nickleback, the lyric "everyone has a drug dealer on speed dial," they censor out the word "drug."  Another long gone station censored the Panic! at the Disco song "I Write Sins not Tragedies.  IN the line "I chime in, haven't you people ever heard of, closing the god damn door?" they censor the word "god"

It's all weird to me.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

US 89

Quote from: inkyatari on February 26, 2018, 03:59:31 PM
I think I posted this before, but there's a few stations here in the Chicago area that are/were owned by Bonneville Broadcasting, which is owned by mormon investors. Anyway, they have weird censorship on their stations.  In the song "Rock Star" by Nickleback, the lyric "everyone has a drug dealer on speed dial," they censor out the word "drug."  Another long gone station censored the Panic! at the Disco song "I Write Sins not Tragedies.  IN the line "I chime in, haven't you people ever heard of, closing the god damn door?" they censor the word "god"

That company also owns a few radio stations in Salt Lake City as well as KSL TV, the NBC affiliate. KSL airs all kinds of Mormon stuff (general conference, etc.) and has a long history of pre-empting NBC programs it doesn't like, usually involving violence, sex, or homosexuality. The pre-empted programs were either moved to a less desirable time slot, shown on local CW affiliate KUCW instead, or both.

The most notable preemption was Saturday Night Live, which for a long time was shown on KUCW instead and replaced with SportsBeat Saturday, a local sports talk show. However, viewership declined and it was getting beaten by KUTV's Talkin' Sports anyway, so they began showing SNL in 2013.

roadman

Falling In and Out Of Love/Amie by Pure Prairie League is another example of this.  Most stations leave out the Falling In and Out Of Love part, which makes the end of Amie , which reverts back to Falling ... seem disconnected from the rest of the song.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Takumi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 24, 2018, 09:35:50 PM
The other edits you hear now are in Dire Straits's Money For Nothing in the 2nd verse where Mark Knopfler refers to "That Little <British word for cigarette>."  MTV edited the "You Don't Know How it Feels" video by Tom Petty by reversing the recording for a split second so that "joint" sounds like "tnioj"  Yet, some stations still let the "Who the F are you?" line in Who Are You? by The Who slip through, as well as the unedited version of Jet Airliner by Steve Miller without "Funky kicks" replacing "Funky S...".  Speaking of the latter, I've heard 3 different versions of that song on the radio: One that omits the Moog intro entirely, another that has the Moog intro, but goes right into the lyrics at the beginning of the song proper, and the third has the intro and a full instrumental verse before the lyrics start. 
Interestingly, a few years ago, the local classic rock station would play the uncensored version of Money For Nothing but the censored version of Jet Airliner.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

I like the fact that Charlie Daniels pushed his "Son of a bitch" in the Devil Went Down To Georgia who later went Christian in genre.  That is so ironic, a man singing about God is the one who made "Son of Bitch" allowed on radio

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: roadman65 on February 27, 2018, 04:31:11 PM
I like the fact that Charlie Daniels pushed his "Son of a bitch" in the Devil Went Down To Georgia who later went Christian in genre.  That is so ironic, a man singing about God is the one who made "Son of Bitch" allowed on radio

Meh, the most religiously devoted of my friends has the foulest mouth of anyone I know and it's not even close.

hotdogPi

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 27, 2018, 04:39:34 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 27, 2018, 04:31:11 PM

Meh, the most religiously devoted of my friends has the foulest mouth of anyone I know and it's not even in the same ballpark as anyone else I know.

Religiously devoted people avoid religious swears (saying something like "damn" or "hell" is equivalent to taking God's name in vain unless you're using the word for its literal meaning), but I see no reason why they would avoid other swears.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hbelkins

"Imagine" by John Lennon.

There are not words in the English language to describe how much I loathe that song.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2018, 03:19:49 PM

There are not words in the English language to describe how much I loathe that song.
My favorite juxtaposition of recent times involves a line from that song.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Rothman

You are just a bundle of joy. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Go on, say something in Swahili. 

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on February 28, 2018, 04:28:47 PM

You are just a bundle of joy. :D

The words and the music combine to make that one of the most depressing tunes I've ever heard.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.