News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Songs that annoy you/send you into a rage?

Started by CapeCodder, February 08, 2018, 03:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ET21 on February 13, 2018, 08:12:25 AM
Rebel For Kicks or whatever that song is called that appeared over the last 6 months.....

Portugal The Man - Feel It Still (2017)

Quote from: mgk920 on February 13, 2018, 09:49:47 AM
Quote from: 20160805 on February 13, 2018, 07:04:51 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 12, 2018, 07:44:26 PM
Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light.  Especially the middle verses.  They are not in the original Springsteen composition and fact is there is a version (the single version) that leaves that out particularly.   

When I drove through Kansas and Oklahoma I found radio stations playing the short single version and it sounded much better that the long version with the slowdown part.   Right after the Early Birdie Whirlly ( or little Early Curly) the song would go into the outro and then the song that is played out so much is done.

Margarita, that song from the mid 90's, that the DNC I believe wanted to use for their song.  To me that one was so annoying mainly because it had the line where the girls said something to the effect of fooling around because the boyfriend was a loser, where if the genders were turned it would be sexist and mean to women.

I love Blinded by the Light  :no:

"Wrapped up like a douche...another runner in the night..."

The correct lyrics is:
"Revved up like a deuce....", as in a hot-rodded mid 20th century two-door coupe.

:-P

Mike

I know the correct lyrics; I just wrote the misheard lyrics because they're funnier. :)  I also know it's "little Early Pearly came by in his curly-wurly" and not "...gave my anus curly-wurly", which in the UK (where Curly Wurly is a popular brand of chocolate bar) would refer to shoving chocolate where the sun don't shine.  :wow:
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman on February 13, 2018, 02:16:35 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 12, 2018, 10:11:09 PM
I can deal with most Christmas songs, even the novelty ones, but Lord help you and your radio if I hear it playing "Feliz Navidad."
As annoying as it can be, I can never get mad when I hear Feliz Navidad.  That's because the first time I remember hearing it was on a new clock radio on Christmas morning in 1972, which was three days after my mother was released from the hospital - she had suffered a heart attack four weeks earlier.

Most Christmas music isn't annoying by itself. It's the fact that you have to hear the same 25 songs for a month straight (each covered 4 or 5 times by different artists being the only variety) that makes it awful. It's fine if you can control the music and get some respite, but if you work in a place with a house PA system playing music it is deeply disgruntling.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

You figure with all the Christmas songs ever released they would have more of a pic.  No they still play the same ones and alternate some covers every other year.  Like David Bowie and Bing Crosby's Little Drummer Boy which Magic 107 ommited this year, but will probably play next season while another song goes on hiatus.

Christmas Shoes, like one user said, is not what will happen as when we die, we do not rise again with our clothes we get buried in (unless you do not believe, but I say it for the scenario of the believer).  However that song is not about looking good after death, but the thought of the child  and the guy who paid for the remaining balance of the shoes who decided to help the kid as his act is pointing out the spirit of giving.

Anyway, yes for over 30 days straight of hearing Carpenters There is No Place Like Home For The Holidays 24 times a day can get on your nerve if you are hearing it at work over the PA.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

paulthemapguy

Quote from: ET21 on February 13, 2018, 08:12:25 AM
Rebel For Kicks or whatever that song is called that appeared over the last 6 months.....

I also can't stand this song.  It pretty much just announces what's so stupid about Milennials..."I'm rebelling, but only for the fashion statement."  Every rebel that ever actually accomplished something is rolling in their graves.

My gf informed me yesterday of the glorious booing that took place, when Ed Sheeran's lamest song ever won the Grammy for best pop song.  It was up against some actually meaningful and heartfelt music, and it pales in comparison to the quality of music Ed Sheeran usually releases (which is average to above-average).  I echo the audience's booing: screw the fact that that bullshit song got a Grammy. I got so sick of hearing this song during our May 2017 trip to Vegas that I reworked the lyrics.

"Last night you were in my room
Now my bedsheets smell like poo
'Cause my bed is your potty"
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

roadman65

There is another song that Michael Jackson did with Paul McCartney besides Say Say Say where both in the song have a friendly argument over a girl.  Well, considering we know what Michael's sexuality was, I am enraged by Michael even saying he loved a specific girl.  Not madly raged, but seeing as irony when the King of Pop had no interest in women.

If he did IMO it was to prove he was not living an alternative sexuality as many used to mock him for being weird in appearance especially in the 80's.  In my high school you could not openly admit you liked disco and especially if you liked Michael, as you would be considered a geek or a sissy unless you had a voice and body language showing you could take those who pick on you.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Jingle Bell Rock is not only the worst Christmas song, but also the worst song ever created. Second place is the garbage Frozen soundtrack.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman65 on February 13, 2018, 06:08:49 PM
There is another song that Michael Jackson did with Paul McCartney besides Say Say Say where both in the song have a friendly argument over a girl.  Well, considering we know what Michael's sexuality was, I am enraged by Michael even saying he loved a specific girl.  Not madly raged, but seeing as irony when the King of Pop had no interest in women.

If he did IMO it was to prove he was not living an alternative sexuality as many used to mock him for being weird in appearance especially in the 80's.  In my high school you could not openly admit you liked disco and especially if you liked Michael, as you would be considered a geek or a sissy unless you had a voice and body language showing you could take those who pick on you.

The Girl Is Mine?

inkyatari

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2018, 03:05:23 PM
Second place is the garbage Frozen soundtrack.

I hate frozen as well, but I can tolerate this...

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

roadman65

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2018, 03:05:23 PM
Jingle Bell Rock is not only the worst Christmas song, but also the worst song ever created. Second place is the garbage Frozen soundtrack.
38 Special did a great job in covering theirs.  It really sounds more of a rock song when they do it.

The worst song that I can think of is My Favorite Things as its got nothing to do with Christmas at all.  Its a song Julie Andrews sung in The Sound of Music which was a film I seem to remember that was not about Christmas but a nun who fell in love with her master and his children who married him right before Hitler drafted the man which led to the great escape in the end.  Unless you want to say the snow of Austria is Christmas, then why is not Do-Rei-Me a Christmas song also? 

Then the Charlie Brown Theme as well from the Peanuts cartoon is considered a Christmas Song as well yet its played in al the non Christmas cartoons as well as the Christmas one.  Yes, I know its called Linus and Lucy and performed by a musician named Vince Geraldi. :bigass:

Sheryl Crowe

adventurernumber1

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 13, 2018, 05:57:18 PM
My gf informed me yesterday of the glorious booing that took place, when Ed Sheeran's lamest song ever won the Grammy for best pop song.  It was up against some actually meaningful and heartfelt music, and it pales in comparison to the quality of music Ed Sheeran usually releases (which is average to above-average).  I echo the audience's booing: screw the fact that that bullshit song got a Grammy. I got so sick of hearing this song during our May 2017 trip to Vegas that I reworked the lyrics.

+ 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand this song. Several months ago, my brother showed me the music video; I thought it was pretty weird and funny. But the thing is that, as a result of both that, and the lame quality of the song itself, I actually thought it was a joke song, or a parody of some sort. I thought it was a joke - I truly didn't believe that it was an actual song, until I heard it played a million times on the radio. The song is really indeed not that great in my opinion. Now this is how you do a song of that kind - that is good stuff, and it is 70s Country gold.  :nod:

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 13, 2018, 05:57:18 PM

Now that is pretty funny.  :clap:  :-D  :rofl:

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jp the roadgeek

You Light Up My Life by Debby Boone.  So sappy and hokey.  Used to hear it all the time at work and I'd have to go hide in the back room somewhere away from the speakers. 

Another one that drove me crazy during its time was the Unforgettable remake with Natalie and her dad. I would hear it at the gym when I worked out, and it kind of was a buzzkill.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheHighwayMan3561

Blur - "Song 2"
GNR - "Welcome to the Jungle"
Spandau Ballet - "True"
Led Zeppelin - "Whole Lotta Love"
Beatles - "Yesterday" and "Blackbird" (and the Beatles are one of my favorite bands...just not these two)
Anything by shitty 90s-00s pop punk bands

Honorable mention for every single damn time I have to go to a high school sporting event and they arbitrarily play "Sweet Caroline" with a bunch of kids screaming the two words they know plus the annoying Fenway chants that seeped into the rest of society.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SD Mapman

The "Shut up and dance with me" one... THAT was overplayed.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

ET21

Quote from: SD Mapman on February 15, 2018, 01:37:27 AM

Oh God that one...... You could not get through one day in 2016 and the first half of last year without hearing someone play it
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

paulthemapguy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 15, 2018, 01:23:31 AM

Honorable mention for every single damn time I have to go to a high school sporting event and they arbitrarily play "Sweet Caroline" with a bunch of kids screaming the two words they know plus the annoying Fenway chants that seeped into the rest of society.

I heartily agree with these.  My greatest musical disdain is for the entire generation of manufactured garbage that was barfed out for teenagers who don't yet have the wherewithal to discern what is good music.

This is an amazing parody that sums up all the 90s/00s meaningless pop music garbage.

And Sweet Caroline is hilariously pathetic.  The blandest most boring people get excited by this song because they only have to contribute a total of 3 notes.  "BUH BUH BUH??  I THINK I CAN HANDLE THAT!  BEHOLD MY PROFESSIONAL SINGING DEBUT!!"  :pan: :pan: :pan:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Henry

Oh yeah, this. As much as I liked Neil Diamond, this song gets on my freakin' nerves to the point where I have to mute the TV whenever it plays that Hyundai commercial where the two drivers are singing along to it.

Also, Frank Sinatra's New York, New York can get annoying, thanks to its excessive use at Yankees games.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tchafe1978

Quote from: Henry on February 15, 2018, 10:31:34 AM
Oh yeah, this. As much as I liked Neil Diamond, this song gets on my freakin' nerves to the point where I have to mute the TV whenever it plays that Hyundai commercial where the two drivers are singing along to it.

Also, Frank Sinatra's New York, New York can get annoying, thanks to its excessive use at Yankees games.

"Sweet Caroline" is always played at Wisconsin Badgers football games, and somehow, the inebriated students manage to sing along with the actual first verse of the song. It's cute, in the same way the House of Pain's "Jump Around" gets the crowd jumping. But hey, tradition! I'm a Badgers fan, BTW, and if it wasn't for that, I'd probably find them annoying too.

IMO the last truly good song.

Quote from: ET21 on February 15, 2018, 08:46:19 AM

Oh God that one...... You could not get through one day in 2016 and the first half of last year without hearing someone play it

Are you from outside the United States?  It was released in September 2014.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

english si

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 10, 2018, 03:04:19 AM
Oh, I just remembered something else:

"Barbie Girl" by Aqua

I would find it hard to believe that too many people on this forum like this song, or anywhere, for that matter.

I definitely cannot stand the song.  :ded:
I hated it intially, and unlike you I was alive in 1997. However, when was nearly twice that age, it grew on me along with other cheesy 90s songs I hated the first time.

Now, sure it's no Dr Jones, or Turn Back Time, but it's not that bad - especially when you realise that it's a send up of Bubblegum music (of which Aqua did a lot of - it was their brand), coupling stuff aimed at young kids with tons of innuendo and blatantly inappropriate lyrics.

Quote from: CapeCodder on February 10, 2018, 11:01:46 AMWe Like to Party! by Vengaboys was bad too.
This song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llyiQ4I-mcQ

For years I thought they were basically the same tune and the Vengaboys were idiots who couldn't write more than one tune. Still not that annoying, IMO, just bad.
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 14, 2018, 03:05:23 PMthe garbage Frozen soundtrack.
Just let it go.

plain

Quote from: SectorZ on February 14, 2018, 03:07:24 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 13, 2018, 06:08:49 PM

The Girl Is Mine?

Yeah that's the song he's talking about. I could actually stand that song but the one from the pair that really became annoying was "Say Say Say". That was played to death! For years!

Also, I thought of another song. "Dancing Queen" by ABBA.

In 1994 or 95 while traveling to my first visit to Chicago (I was a teen), I was in the car with my mother and her boyfriend at the time (he was a Chi native) and they brought along only a limited amount of tapes. I heard Dancing Queen so many times that trip that I found the tape a day after we got back to Richmond and destroyed it. To this day my mother thinks it got "lost" lmao
Newark born, Richmond bred

Roadgeekteen

YES! That song is literally living garbage, and I never want to hear walk the moon sing this garbage ever again!!!!!!!!!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 15, 2018, 09:18:57 AM

I heartily agree with these.  My greatest musical disdain is for the entire generation of manufactured garbage that was barfed out for teenagers who don't yet have the wherewithal to discern what is good music.

This is an amazing parody that sums up all the 90s/00s meaningless pop music garbage.

And Sweet Caroline is hilariously pathetic.  The blandest most boring people get excited by this song because they only have to contribute a total of 3 notes.  "BUH BUH BUH??  I THINK I CAN HANDLE THAT!  BEHOLD MY PROFESSIONAL SINGING DEBUT!!"  :pan: :pan: :pan:
You can dance to it, which is basically all that matters to most people in their teens and 20s.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

lepidopteran

"Tonight's The Night (Gonna Be Alright)" by Rod Stewart
Let's see, a guy gets a girl home, asks her to stay away from the doors and window, and disconnect the phone.  And tries to get her drunk (Let me pour you a good long drink) and isn't the least bit subtle about what he wants from her, saying she's a fool if she says no.  Don't we have a different name for this type of activity nowadays?

"California Girls" by The Beach Boys
A bit too objectifying of women.  True, a lot of popular songs do that, but this one is just so... blunt?

I do like most of the other songs by these artists, though I have my doubts about the line "We've never missed yet, with the girls we meet" from "I Get Around" by the latter.  (What does "never missed yet" mean?) I used to be annoyed by their "Kokomo" song, but that was only because the radio stations were overplaying it.

roadman65

In an earlier post I mentioned a song called Hey Now annoyed me when it was out.  I stand corrected it was called Hey Ya by Outkast which was overplayed to death when it was first out back in 03 and 04.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

Anything released by Starship post the 1984 departure of Paul Kantner & David Freiberg (Kantner legally took the "Jefferson" part of the band's name with him as well!).  Yeah, Kantner's late-in-life obsession with sci-fi was becoming merely annoying, but the sugar-coated baby pop of the remaining group was indeed cloying!  We Built This City has to be one of the biggest piles of excrement ever foisted on the listening public.  Eventually anyone with a creative bone remaining in the group (Sears, Chaquico, Slick) drifted safely away one at a time until it was just Mickey Thomas' voice singing ersatz Tin Pan Alley stuff just for the paycheck.  As Bluto Blutarsky might have put it -- Twenty years of music down the drain!   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.