Songs that annoy you/send you into a rage?

Started by CapeCodder, February 08, 2018, 03:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

It's not nearly as depressing as Terry Jacks' "Seasons in the Sun"  (which was an English reinterpretation of a Belgian French song, which was much more sardonic and mocking in its original incarnation).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

adventurernumber1

While the lyrics could be interpreted as offensive to some people (understandably), I don't perceive a problem with the composition of the music itself. That song has an incredible piano riff - if the lyrics were omitted (where in this theoretical scenario no one could take offense to it), I would find it hard to believe if too many people still highly disliked the instrumentation of the song - it is very beautiful in my opinion, but that's just me.

I used to hate and loathe the song the same way, but I have begun to interpret it as a general anti-war and peace song (with different countries fighting, different religions fighting, etc.) - and someone in the comments on YouTube said it quite well - something like "even if you disagree with the political agenda in the lyrics, it still may be one of the most beautiful songs ever written."

But if you still hate it just as much, I do understand.  :-P
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

inkyatari

Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2018, 03:19:49 PM
"Imagine" by John Lennon.

There are not words in the English language to describe how much I loathe that song.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I'm no fan.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: inkyatari on March 01, 2018, 08:52:58 AM

There are not words in the English language to describe how much I loathe that song.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but I'm no fan.
I'm the opposite. I can agree with certain parts of the song, but there will always be disputes over stuff -- it's just how we are.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

allniter89

You Light Up My Life~Debbie Boone.
Dream Weaver~Gary Wright (?).
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: allniter89 on March 01, 2018, 04:21:11 PM
Dream Weaver~Gary Wright

Indifferent. I don't love it, but I don't mind listening to it.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

english si

Indeed. Why did you have to put it in my head!  :pan:

First verse - "isn't life without consequences or caring for the future great?" No.

Second verse - "wouldn't it be great if nothing was worth more than you?" Sure, no war would be great. But nothing worth dying for? no risking your life to save loved ones, etc?

Chorus - "you may say that I'm a dreamer". No, a dreamer has the imagination to picture things - you don't, unless you actually want this dystopia! I'm stopping now as I've had enough.

If it was trite nothings that people thought was so meaningful then I'd have less of a problem... If it was the anti-war song people think/Lennon intended, then sure, it's alright. The tune is nice though - which helps the poison go down. I don't hate it as much as hate the 'wow this is the best, we should obey' reaction to it.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: allniter89 on March 01, 2018, 04:21:11 PM

Dream Weaver is ok.  You Light Up My Life is on the same level as Fergie singing the national anthem. Boone is a better singer, but the snappiness gives me sugar shock.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheHighwayMan3561

Lennon has way better solo songs than that one such as How Do You Sleep (an attack song directed at Paul), #9 Dream, Woman, and Watching the Wheels in any case.

roadman65

Not exactly a song that sends me into a rage, but most radio stations love to play Grateful Dead's Touch of Grey as it was their only big song to be recorded.  Yes, it was the only one of their many songs that made it into Billboard's Top 10, but how many other Dead songs they can play. 

I have not heard Alabama Getaway in decades.
There is Shakedown Street, US Blues, Truckin, Sugar Magnolia, China Cat Sunflower (sung best when sieged into I Know You Rider as a medley).

Then again the same could be said about Pink Floyd as they play the same lineup with them like Learn To Fly and On The Turning Away or Another Brick In The Wall Part 2, and Wish You Were Here.  They have many songs that could be played that were once famous.

As far as Pink Floyd's Another Brick Part 2, I hate when they leave the sigh from the next song Mother.  Instead of ending the song at the last ringtone, they wait till Roger Waters signs at the beginning of Mother.

WPLJ in NYC, when they used to be Rock over 35 years ago did a great mix of all three parts of Another Brick In The Wall and sieged them together real well.  They would do the vocal part of the first part then cut to Part 2 using the single version that has the intro (as on the album it has no intro due to The Happiest Day Of Our Lives runs into it abruptly), then where the "Fooled Again" and crying part came in they cut to Part 3.

Also I hate when stations leave out the Song We're Not Going To Take It and just play See Me Feel Me, as it sounds so much better played with the two together.  Its like leaving out the Beatles Sargent Pepper but play With A Little Help From My Friend as both are made as one song. 

Then why can't radio stations play the long fade out of A Day In The Life which ends the Sargent Pepper's Album?  They end the song just as the piano rolls, as on the album or CD that piano roll goes on for about 50 seconds.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2018, 02:44:14 PM
Not exactly a song that sends me into a rage, but most radio stations love to play Grateful Dead's Touch of Grey as it was their only big song to be recorded.  Yes, it was the only one of their many songs that made it into Billboard's Top 10, but how many other Dead songs they can play. 

I know more people who would confirm that's the only song they like by them than I could that like anything else by them. I was 9 when it came out, so probably a generational thing, but my mother is in that boat with me.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: SectorZ on March 03, 2018, 06:23:20 PM

I know more people who would confirm that's the only song they like by them than I could that like anything else by them. I was 9 when it came out, so probably a generational thing, but my mother is in that boat with me.

Fans that became Deadheads because of Touch of Grey are derogatorily referred to as "Touchheads".  My mom was at Woodstock, and my dad loved progressive rock, so I had an early foundation for older music,  The first time I heard of them when I was young when I saw Truckin' on the jukebox at a truck stop.  I started listening to them in early '88 at the age of 12 because my cousin's older stepbrother was following them on tour at that time.  Got a couple of live recordings of then recent shows, and I was hooked.  Started collecting tapes, and saw my first show about 6 months later at MSG.  I saw 16 total, plus several side projects both during their run and post-Jerry.  Hearing live recordings has turned me into sort of a snob when it comes to studio recordings. The SirusXM channel sometimes drives me ABSOLUTELY BAT*&#* CRAZY when they cut out of a recording mid-jam because the track on the recording ends (they don't ever cut China/Rider or Scarlet/Fire), bringing an abrupt end to a 4 or 5 part sequence.  Don' mind it when there's a momentary pause and they cut, but when it's mid song, UGH!!!     
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

I never got the fascination with the Dead. The music just never did anything for me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

One thing I liked about them is the fact you can go to two different concerts on the same tour and they never play the same line up. 

Most bands have the same list of songs for the entire tour.  For example I saw Clapton twice in 1990 for his Journeyman Tour.  Both times once in May and the second time in August featured the same list of songs.

The Dead were a jamming band, so they could just play on cue just about anything including Elmore James Blues songs.  In fact the Dead covered a lot of old Blues songs during their tours.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Then why can't radio stations play the long fade out of A Day In The Life which ends the Sargent Pepper's Album?  They end the song just as the piano rolls, as on the album or CD that piano roll goes on for about 50 seconds.

Radio stations fear "dead air", or any semblance of it; sometimes I suppose there's sometimes a need for that extra 30 seconds.

Frequently...Nights in White Satin gets trimmed, Welcome to the Machine gets a (final) cut, and you don't get to enjoy the near-silence of Enjoy the Silence.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: formulanone on March 05, 2018, 09:04:09 PM

Radio stations fear "dead air", or any semblance of it; sometimes I suppose there's sometimes a need for that extra 30 seconds.

As far as the Beatles go, that's why the "cranberry sauce/I buried Paul" outro for Strawberry Fields Forever usually gets axed as well.

roadman65

Quote from: formulanone on March 05, 2018, 09:04:09 PM

Frequently...Nights in White Satin gets trimmed, Welcome to the Machine gets a (final) cut, and you don't get to enjoy the near-silence of Enjoy the Silence.
Welcome to the Machine is the only song on that album to have dead air.  The rest are sieged together.  Remember in the days of vinyl with the two sides side one ended after Welcome To The Machine while Have A Cigar started side two.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2018, 11:02:21 PM
One thing I liked about them is the fact you can go to two different concerts on the same tour and they never play the same line up. 

Most bands have the same list of songs for the entire tour.  For example I saw Clapton twice in 1990 for his Journeyman Tour.  Both times once in May and the second time in August featured the same list of songs.

The Dead were a jamming band, so they could just play on cue just about anything including Elmore James Blues songs.  In fact the Dead covered a lot of old Blues songs during their tours.
Apart from Truckin' and Casey Jones, I never recalled many of the Grateful Dead's songs in my younger years.  As such, I never had a desire to see them live.  However, I always liked that they respected their fans enough to allow them to tape their concerts.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

index

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 23, 2018, 08:32:57 PM
Basically, any song that I hear on the radio that is the single version instead of the album version drives me bat&*#@ crazy.  I cannot stand it when I hear the 3:00 version of an 8 or 9 minute song that butchers out the best parts and omits a verse or two.  Kills the whole experience of a great song.  Roundabout by Yes is about 8 1/2 minutes on the album, but comes in at under 3 1/2 minutes on the single.  Same with Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who.

I can fully agree with this. Sausalito Summernight by Diesel is around 5 and a half minutes long, but there's a three minute version. If you've heard and listen to the regular, longer version, the three minute version which I think would be played on the radio is really going to annoy you, as it does for me. A lot of good parts of the song are cut out and skip right to other parts in a quick transition, and it's really awkward.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

mgk920

Quote from: roadman on March 19, 2018, 02:16:26 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2018, 11:02:21 PM

Apart from Truckin' and Casey Jones, I never recalled many of the Grateful Dead's songs in my younger years.  As such, I never had a desire to see them live.  However, I always liked that they respected their fans enough to allow them to tape their concerts.

I also was never a huge fan of the Grateful Dead's music (I'm not that big on the Blues and I consider them to have been Bluesmen), but their allowing their fans to tape their concerts was not really just a 'respect the fans' sort of thing, but it was also an incredible business plan - put the fans with tape recorders in a separate front/center section, they'll take those tapes home with them and share them with their friends, sparking an interest in at least a few of them, who will in turn also buy tickets to their future shows in the local area.

Jerry Garcia died rich.

Mike

roadman

Excellent point mgk920 - I had never considered that.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jp the roadgeek

The Dead's main blues man was Ron "Pigpen" McKernan, who essentially lived the blues life and unfortunately drank himself to death at 27.  Some blues still existed after his death, but it became less of a focus.

They Dead went through many different genres and periods.  By listening to a recording, you can pick out a certain period it was from by the quality of the music and by who was playing keyboards (the keyboard seat had a sort-of curse attached to it).  1966-69 had a psychedelic rock feel, while 1970-71 had a little bit more of a country edge at times.  1972-74 had a jazzy feel.  1975 was a break year. 1976 had a laid back sort of feel, while 77 was smooth with even a little disco edge, and 78 had more of a hard rock sound.  The sound matured around 1979; it was around that time they brought it all together and moved among the genres in their setlists, even revisiting their acoustic days during a run in 1980, years before MTV Unplugged brought acoustic versions of songs to the forefront.  However, the scene started to become somewhat corporatized around that time, and really became a mainstream band more than a niche band with the release of Touch of Grey.  Unfortunately, Garcia's on and off drug habit and health problems (he went into a diabetic coma for 3 days and had to essentially learn to play guitar all over again; the Touch release came about a year post-coma) really became his downfall.  I saw him on his last tour, and while I didn't realize at the time that the end was near, in retrospect, he looked worn out, and even played the wrong song a couple of times.   

Rothman

By that reckoning, Godchaux was quite versatile, since Mydland didn't come on board until 1979.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Rothman on March 19, 2018, 10:43:10 PM
By that reckoning, Godchaux was quite versatile, since Mydland didn't come on board until 1979.

Mydland replaced both the Godchauxs with his keyboard playing and high harmony vocals.  Keith Godchaux rarely played anything beyond traditional or electric piano (he dabbled with a Fender Rhodes for a while and a Moog very briefly).  Mydland added keyboards, plus a Hammond B-3 organ; the band hadn't had a organ since Pigpen.  Unfortunately, Keith was tragically killed in a car crash about a year and a half after leaving the band.  Donna still makes the occasional cameo with some of the post-Dead incarnations.  I last saw Mydland about 10 days before he died.  Looked as good as ever, but he had many hidden demons, and they came to a head when he speedballed himself to death.  There was even one show where he was totally wasted drunk, and used his performance that night as a venting session.     

Rothman

Like I said, if Godchaux went from a "laid back" sound to a "disco edge" to hard rock over his tenure -- and did all that on an electric piano -- it means he was quite versatile.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.