News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

One-word regional accents

Started by empirestate, February 08, 2018, 08:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

Quote from: bandit957 on February 08, 2018, 09:38:21 PM
Is there anyone who thinks 'egg' doesn't rhyme with 'plague'? To me, they rhyme, but all the later dictionaries disagree.

Yes - they rhyme completely. I also come from a family of Buckeyes though, so maybe it's a southern Ohio thing.

mrsman

In L.A. (and probablly other areas with large Hispanic populations) the TV reporters have a very general nondescript US accent when they speak in English.  But when they close their report by saying "This is Laura RODRIGUEZ reporting for Fox 11 News." the Hispanic accent comes out very clearly.

Incidentally, I also pronounce plague and egg as the same and I have no southern roots to speak of.

jp the roadgeek

Another couple for Philly,  Philly, the letter P is pronounced like "pay" rather than "pea".  And words like "carry" and "harry" have more of an nasaly "air" sound for the a then an "err" sound.  For the CT valley, the two thing that we're known for is for softening the "T" that comes between two vowels, and emphasizing the second word in any city or town that has a "new" before it.  Any one that calls it "NEWhaven" instead of "NewHAven" is certainly not a local.  And a word like "titan" is pronounced more like "tighten"
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

webny99

Quote from: corco on February 09, 2018, 11:38:11 AM
Is there anyone who thinks 'egg' doesn't rhyme with 'plague'? To me, they rhyme, but all the later dictionaries disagree.
Yes - they rhyme completely. I also come from a family of Buckeyes though, so maybe it's a southern Ohio thing.
Southern Ohio has its own distinct accent, that I dare say is like the Deep South accent gone bad  :-D
Several of the people I know who say "aigg" and "yee-a-uh" for "yeah" are from Columbus.

Quote from: mrsman on February 09, 2018, 11:47:03 AM
I also pronounce plague and egg as the same and I have no southern roots to speak of.
Perhaps you say "plegg" though.

empirestate

Quote from: kurumi on February 08, 2018, 09:02:34 PM
"Woarsh" (as in laundry) is a pretty clear shibboleth even for an otherwise neutral-sounding midwestern accent.

Ah yes, I've heard that one too, such as from a bus driver I knew who was from Nebraska, I believe.

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 08, 2018, 09:04:28 PM
In Boston, it would, undoubtedly, be SAWX! I'll take the BRAWNKS, thank you!

You mean, there are people who say "sawx" for "Sox" but not, say, "rawks" for "rocks"? Usually when people make that shift, they do it across the board.

Quote from: Brandon on February 09, 2018, 05:43:46 AM
Northern Cities Vowel Shift.

The short vowels are shifted a bit.
a = "ya" or "e-a", as in cat sounding like "kyat" and map sounding like "me-ap".
e = "eh", as in bet sounding like "beht".
i = "ih", as in bit sounding like "biht".
o = "ah", as in cot sounding like "cat" to others.
u = "o" or "ah" type sound, as in bus sounding like "boss" to others.

For me, cot and caught sound totally different.

Right, so that's an overall characteristic that you might hear in certain regional accents. Can you think of any example where somebody exhibits the vowel shift only on one word? That's what we're looking for here.

In L.A. (and probablly other areas with large Hispanic populations) the TV reporters have a very general nondescript US accent when they speak in English.  But when they close their report by saying "This is Laura RODRIGUEZ reporting for Fox 11 News." the Hispanic accent comes out very clearly.

Oh yeah, I've noticed that for sure. But the same reporter will not typically do the same with a French or Chinese surname. What are the rules about when you adopt one regional accent in the midst of another?

webny99

Quote from: empirestate on February 09, 2018, 01:30:06 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 09, 2018, 05:43:46 AM
Northern Cities Vowel Shift.

The short vowels are shifted a bit.
a = "ya" or "e-a", as in cat sounding like "kyat" and map sounding like "me-ap".
e = "eh", as in bet sounding like "beht".
i = "ih", as in bit sounding like "biht".
o = "ah", as in cot sounding like "cat" to others.
u = "o" or "ah" type sound, as in bus sounding like "boss" to others.

For me, cot and caught sound totally different.
Right, so that's an overall characteristic that you might hear in certain regional accents. Can you think of any example where somebody exhibits the vowel shift only on one word? That's what we're looking for here.

He wasn't intending this as a response to the OP. This was a response to something that I raised ("ass" and "ice") which was indeed an answer to the original question.

bandit957

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 09, 2018, 12:09:58 PMAnd a word like "titan" is pronounced more like "tighten"

I thought 'titan' and 'tighten' were identical everywhere.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

1995hoo

Definitely happens here too. Not just on the reporters' own names–if a person or place noted in the story has an Hispanic name, the reporters generally accent that (one example–a reporter on our NBC affiliate says a certain country's name like "El Sal-ba-DOR"  even if every other word besides her last name is unaccented).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jwolfer

Incidentally, I also pronounce plague and egg as the same and I have no southern roots to speak of.
That annoys me. It even worse when it's an Anglo reporter trilling up all the r's.. I speak Spanish and have a pretty good accent in Spanish..people don't think I am from the US if I don't talk long.. I am also learning Portuguese.  I am not one of those speak 'Merican types, I enjoy learning new languages hearing different dialects spoken.  My last name is German, but no reporter would ever say my last name Wolf.. as Volf as a German speaker would pronounce it

Speak English when speaking English..speak Spanish when speaking Spanish.  Saying a name or word in English does not negate your Latino heritage, or make you culturally insensitive. I know a Brazilan guy named Jose ( Portuguese pronounces J like English) get corrected by some culturally sensitive white girl when he gave his name for order at a restaurant .. " isn't it 'ho-say'".. SMH

Some countries' like Nicaragua seem to always get Spanish treatment all the time.. but other countries like Argentina rarely do.. it's interesting

Z981

Jordanes

I grew up in Northeastern Pennsylvania and don't have a notable accent, but I say service PLAW-za. My friends from the Midwest and western Pennsylvania say service PLAH-za. They're weird.  :spin:
Clinched 2di:
4, 5, 12, 16, 22, 24, 26, 35, 39, 40, 44, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 70, 72, 73, 74 (both), 75, 76 (both), 78, 79, 81, 82, 83, 84 (both), 85, 86 (both), 87, 88 (both), 89, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99

Almost clinched (less than 100 miles):
20, 30, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 71, 77, 80, 90, 91

hotdogPi

Quote from: Jordanes on February 09, 2018, 06:36:19 PM
I grew up in Northeastern Pennsylvania and don't have a notable accent, but I say service PLAW-za. My friends from the Midwest and western Pennsylvania say service PLAH-za. They're weird.  :spin:

I say PLAH-za, even though I live in Massachusetts. You would think the two regions would be reversed.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Jordanes

Quote from: 1 on February 09, 2018, 06:40:56 PM

I say PLAH-za, even though I live in Massachusetts. You would think the two regions would be reversed.

I think PLAW-za is because of the NYC influence in my part of Pennsylvania -- it's only about 120 miles away. As for how you say it, you folks up there pronounce "Haverhill" as "HAAV-rl", so you're weird too.  ;-)
Clinched 2di:
4, 5, 12, 16, 22, 24, 26, 35, 39, 40, 44, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 70, 72, 73, 74 (both), 75, 76 (both), 78, 79, 81, 82, 83, 84 (both), 85, 86 (both), 87, 88 (both), 89, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99

Almost clinched (less than 100 miles):
20, 30, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 71, 77, 80, 90, 91

abefroman329

That's been a thing for decades, they used to lampoon it on Married...with Children.

paulthemapguy

What gets me is people in the far upper Midwest who thing "flag" and "bag" rhyme with "plague."
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Jmiles32

While the D.C area may not have much of a distinct accent, the Baltimore area definitely does. Wooder(Water) immediately comes to mind.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

webny99

"Rah-ch-ster" and "Bald-i-moor" are two cities in which the locals have a very specific and unique pronunciation of their hometown.

Everybody says Rochesterians have a nasal accent, but I refuse to believe it  :-P

Jmiles32

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2018, 08:48:54 PM
"Rah-ch-ster" and "Bald-i-moor" are two cities in which the locals have a very specific and unique pronunciation of their hometown.

Everybody says Rochesterians have a nasal accent, but I refuse to believe it  :-P
You can add Norfolk, Virginia to that list as locals there will tell you its pronounced Nor-f'k. Naw-f'k as I originally thought, is apparently incorrect.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

webny99

I've always said "Nor-foke".

People from outside Rochester tend to put the emphasis on the "o". It's "Rah-chester", not "Row-chester"  :-P

7/8

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 13, 2018, 06:48:19 PM

What gets me is people in the far upper Midwest who thing "flag" and "bag" rhyme with "plague."

What if I think you're weird for not rhyming them? :-P

webny99

Quote from: 7/8 on February 13, 2018, 10:58:23 PM

I know, right? I can't not rhyme them. I don't even think it's possible.

slorydn1

A few weeks ago my wife and I were at the grocery store picking up a few odds and ends.My wife goes to this store all the time, and she sees this lady almost every time she shops there so they were having a conversation while she was ringing up our items.
I don't usually go grocery shopping with my wife, and I hadn't seen this lady, who is in her late 20's-early 30's before. She had no real discernible accent, which led me to believe she "wasn't from around here".
While the cashier was ringing up our purchase the milk wouldn't scan for some reason. The cashier turned to her coworker at the next register and asked her how much the gallon of "melk" cost. After she punched it in I asked her what town in Michigan was she from. She looked at me wide eyed and asked how I knew and I replied that melk gave it away. She told me that she grew up in a little town that I never would have heard of outside of Grand Rapids named Grandville. I replied howdy neighbor, I lived in Jenison (right next door) until I was 9 years old. Small world, I tell ya'.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Jordanes on February 09, 2018, 07:48:17 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 09, 2018, 06:40:56 PM

I think PLAW-za is because of the NYC influence in my part of Pennsylvania -- it's only about 120 miles away. As for how you say it, you folks up there pronounce "Haverhill" as "HAAV-rl", so you're weird too.  ;-)

And  southeast of Haverhill,  you have Peabody, which is pronounced PEA-buh-dee.  And south of Boston, you have Quincy, which is pronounce QUINN-zee.  But don't your dare call Worcester Worchester, or pronounce Leominster with the first syllable sounding like the astrological sign: it's LEMON-ster.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Eth

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2018, 11:02:09 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on February 13, 2018, 10:58:23 PM

I know, right? I can't not rhyme them. I don't even think it's possible.

Ah, I think I see the issue! We're talking about "plague", with a G, not "plaque", with a Q. :)

(And "egg" doesn't rhyme with "plague", either; "egg", "bag", and "plague" have three distinct vowel sounds, at least to me.)

english si

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 14, 2018, 01:30:39 AMpronounce Leominster with the first syllable sounding like the astrological sign: it's LEMON-ster.
Why did you New Englanders put an extra syllable in what, in proper England, is Lem-ster?  :-D
Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2018, 11:02:09 PMI know, right? I can't not rhyme them. I don't even think it's possible.
I can't see how you can rhyme them (plag? flague?) as the vowels are rather different. Which way does the vowel collapse go?

Ditto egg-flag rhyming - is it 'agg' or 'beg'?

The three vowels are totally different to me.

7/8

Quote from: english si on February 14, 2018, 02:26:41 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2018, 11:02:09 PMI know, right? I can't not rhyme them. I don't even think it's possible.
I can't see how you can rhyme them (plag? flague?) as the vowels are rather different. Which way does the vowel collapse go?

Ditto egg-flag rhyming - is it 'agg' or 'beg'?

The three vowels are totally different to me.

The flag-plague vowel sounds closer to bay than back for me. I don't rhyme egg and flag, though they sound similar (the e in egg is different than in Ed for me).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.