News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Unnumbered Roads that warrant State Route status

Started by webny99, February 14, 2018, 08:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Quote from: 1 on February 19, 2018, 11:25:55 AM
Quote from: CapeCodder on February 19, 2018, 11:13:21 AM
Woods Hole Road in Falmouth, MA should have a number, since it connects to the Woods Hole, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket Steamship Authority ferry terminal. The Steamship Authority is a state agency. I propose number 29 as it's an unused number in MA.

This would be a 3-mile route with an endpoint at a state route and the other endpoint at the end of a peninsula, without intersecting any other state routes. Massachusetts doesn't create routes like this (although Maine has a lot of them).

Mammoth Rd. in Dracut MA and Lowell MA deserves a number, as an extension of NH 128. However, as 128 is obviously already used, I propose that NH 128 becomes NH 28A, which allows extension into Massachusetts (Massachusetts already has two 2A, 6A, and 8A routes). NH 107A and RI 100 can also be extended without causing duplicate numbers.

Another idea:
Lexington-Woburn-Stoneham (MA 61?)

It ends at my proposed MA 48, so the "does not end at a state route" problem doesn't apply.
Another MA route that leads to a coastal destination that could use a state number is George Washington Blvd in Hingham and Hull, this four-lane route from Nantasket Beach connects to MA 3A via Rockland and Summer Streets. Since it is only 3 miles long, I would create a longer route by starting it at another unnumbered route that carries a lot of traffic, Burgin Parkway in Quincy, or in particular the extension that leads to MA 3 from Quincy Center. The route (which I've dubbed 328, since it would run from MA 3 to MA 228) would use the Parkway, the new bypass route around Quincy Center, Washington Street (that was once part of MA 135) then run concurrent along 3A from its intersection with MA 53 to the Hingham Rotary where it would take Summer Street, Rockland Street and GW Blvd to MA 228 at Nantasket. (I would also extend MA 228 further north along Nantasket Ave. to the commuter boat station at the northern end of the Hull peninsula, but that's a story for another day).

hotdogPi

Quote from: bob7374 on February 19, 2018, 11:56:46 AM
Another MA route that leads to a coastal destination that could use a state number is George Washington Blvd in Hingham and Hull, this four-lane route from Nantasket Beach connects to MA 3A via Rockland and Summer Streets. Since it is only 3 miles long, I would create a longer route by starting it at another unnumbered route that carries a lot of traffic, Burgin Parkway in Quincy, or in particular the extension that leads to MA 3 from Quincy Center. The route (which I've dubbed 328, since it would run from MA 3 to MA 228) would use the Parkway, the new bypass route around Quincy Center, Washington Street (that was once part of MA 135) then run concurrent along 3A from its intersection with MA 53 to the Hingham Rotary where it would take Summer Street, Rockland Street and GW Blvd to MA 228 at Nantasket. (I would also extend MA 228 further north along Nantasket Ave. to the commuter boat station at the northern end of the Hull peninsula, but that's a story for another day).

Instead of a MA 3A overlap, truncate (hide; it would still have to be there internally) MA 3A to MA 53, and extend MA 53 over MA 3A and MA 203. This would allow MA 3A, 53, and 328 to have no overlaps.

And Furnace Brook Parkway becomes MA 37, although that could be done independently of this proposal.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Algorithm

In Seattle, Spokane Street / Fauntleroy Way is the only direct connection between a state ferry terminal and a major highway that is not itself part of the state highway system.  This could be marked as an extension of SR-160, or since this particular ferry serves multiple destinations, the separate designation of SR-517 is also available.

doorknob60

In Idaho, I'd say Banks-Lowman Rd. It connects ID-55 to ID-21 in a much less mountainous and curvy route than ID-21 via Idaho City does.

Even slightly backtracking from downtown Boise, Banks-Lowman Rd is the same distance and 9 minutes faster. Not to mention it's the default routing on Google Maps. Only issue with it is the intersection with ID-55 is a major bottleneck on busy summer weekends. It needs a signal or something, which I think ITD is looking into but they're taking a lot of time (due to close proximity of a bridge which may need replacement).

For Oregon, it has to be Millican Rd. between US-20 and OR-126 in Prineville. Millican Rd. is good quality, paved, 55 MPH 2 lane Rd. Nearby OR-27 is a curvy gravel road. They should just move OR-27 to Millican Rd and relinquish the existing highway to the counties. Millican Rd. is 5 miles shorter and 28 minutes faster!

SectorZ

Woods Hole Road in Falmouth, MA should have a number, since it connects to the Woods Hole, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket Steamship Authority ferry terminal. The Steamship Authority is a state agency. I propose number 29 as it's an unused number in MA.

This would be a 3-mile route with an endpoint at a state route and the other endpoint at the end of a peninsula, without intersecting any other state routes. Massachusetts doesn't create routes like this (although Maine has a lot of them).

Mammoth Rd. in Dracut MA and Lowell MA deserves a number, as an extension of NH 128. However, as 128 is obviously already used, I propose that NH 128 becomes NH 28A, which allows extension into Massachusetts (Massachusetts already has two 2A, 6A, and 8A routes). NH 107A and RI 100 can also be extended without causing duplicate numbers.

Another idea:

It ends at my proposed MA 48, so the "does not end at a state route" problem doesn't apply.

1 - your 48 is actually half on old routing of the pre-freeway 128 (from Lowell St in Lexington to Wakefield). I'd love to see significant parts of that put back to some sort of numbered status.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on February 20, 2018, 06:09:12 PM

Another idea:

1 - your 48 is actually half on old routing of the pre-freeway 128 (from Lowell St in Lexington to Wakefield). I'd love to see significant parts of that put back to some sort of numbered status.

That link isn't my 48. My 48 goes from North Andover to Everett via North Reading, Wakefield, Malden, and Melrose; I only mentioned it because that link's eastern end is at my 48 instead of at a current state route.

Number doesn't really matter, though, as long as it's below 181 (the highest arbitrarily-numbered route in Massachusetts).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

mapman1071

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on February 15, 2018, 10:05:40 PM
In Arizona, any road that serves a city/town of 500 or more people should be under ADOT control and numbered as a state highway.  Such as...

Yavapai County Rte. 15, which connects AZ 96 (Bagdad to Hillside) to Prescott.  Call it AZ 196.

Fain Rd. east of Prescott Valley, between AZ 69 and 89A.  This was proposed as AZ 48 a few years back, but never commissioned.

Mohave County Rte. 125, through Chloride.  Connects to US 93 at both ends.  This is the former AZ 62.  Supposedly Chloride is trying to attract tourism, so maybe this should be recommissioned.  But since it's a short route, it probably shouldn't have a two-digit number.  AZ 193?

Mohave County Rte. 25, from US 93 through Dolan Springs to Meadview.  How about AZ 293 for this one?

Mohave County Rte. 143, from US 93 to Temple Bar Marina.  AZ 393?

Bullhead Parkway, the bypass around Bullhead City.  Connects to AZ 95 at both ends.  How about AZ 295?

Old US 80, between Goodyear and Gila Bend.  Call this one AZ 185?

Extend AZ 238 from Mobile to Gila Bend.  Currently it's Maricopa County Rte 238.

Power Rd./Bush Hwy between Loop 202 in Mesa and AZ 87 north of Saguaro Lake.  Despite being on National Forest land, it's maintained by Maricopa County.  Pick an unused number here. How about AZ 787?

Ellsworth Rd. and Hunt Hwy from the off-ramp that they call AZ 24 to AZ 79 in Florence.  There are currently no state highways serving the San Tan Valley.  At least until they decide whether or not to build a freeway through here, it'd be a good extension of AZ 24.

Florence-Kelvin Hwy between, believe it or not, Florence and Kelvin.  AZ 477?

Veterans Memorial Blvd. between AZ 77 and San Manuel.  This was proposed as AZ 76 or AZ 176 many years ago, but never commissioned despite appearing on some maps.

Apache Trail/Old West Hwy between the Loop 202 and US 60.  This is the old US 60/70/80/89, and the parts that are in Maricopa and Pinal County islands are still on ADOT's books as unsigned US 60X.  How about AZ 360, the original number for what is now US 60, the Superstition Freeway?

Northern Parkway between Loop 303 and wherever it'll eventually end (Loop 101?) in the West Valley, once it's finished.  Maybe resurrect AZ 50 for this one, since the Paradise Freeway in Phoenix is long dead?

National Forest Highway 3, Lake Mary Rd. between AZ 87 and Flagstaff.  This was once supposed to be taken over by ADOT and signed AZ 487 (shown on some maps) a couple of decades ago, but it never happened.  It should.

From US60 Exit 160 Grand Avenue/Van Buren Street/Mill Avenue/Apache Blvd/Main Street/Apache Trail/ SB Goldfield Road to US60 Exit 198 - WB Old West Highway from US60 Exit 199 could be Business or OLD US60

Northern Parkway/Northern Avenue From AZ Loop 303 to AZ 51 should be MC80 (Northern Avenue is 8000 block North)

Add to list Gilbert Road, Meets AZ 87 on both South End in Pinal County/Gila River Nation and North end in Maricopa County/Salt River-Pima Nation should be AZ 687

dgolub

Nassau County, where I live, has a ton of county routes with four lanes over considerable distances.  In fact, it even has a decent number of such roads that aren't even considered worthy of a county route number.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mapman1071 on February 25, 2018, 01:12:59 AM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on February 15, 2018, 10:05:40 PM
In Arizona, any road that serves a city/town of 500 or more people should be under ADOT control and numbered as a state highway.  Such as...

Yavapai County Rte. 15, which connects AZ 96 (Bagdad to Hillside) to Prescott.  Call it AZ 196.

Fain Rd. east of Prescott Valley, between AZ 69 and 89A.  This was proposed as AZ 48 a few years back, but never commissioned.

Mohave County Rte. 125, through Chloride.  Connects to US 93 at both ends.  This is the former AZ 62.  Supposedly Chloride is trying to attract tourism, so maybe this should be recommissioned.  But since it's a short route, it probably shouldn't have a two-digit number.  AZ 193?

Mohave County Rte. 25, from US 93 through Dolan Springs to Meadview.  How about AZ 293 for this one?

Mohave County Rte. 143, from US 93 to Temple Bar Marina.  AZ 393?

Bullhead Parkway, the bypass around Bullhead City.  Connects to AZ 95 at both ends.  How about AZ 295?

Old US 80, between Goodyear and Gila Bend.  Call this one AZ 185?

Extend AZ 238 from Mobile to Gila Bend.  Currently it's Maricopa County Rte 238.

Power Rd./Bush Hwy between Loop 202 in Mesa and AZ 87 north of Saguaro Lake.  Despite being on National Forest land, it's maintained by Maricopa County.  Pick an unused number here. How about AZ 787?

Ellsworth Rd. and Hunt Hwy from the off-ramp that they call AZ 24 to AZ 79 in Florence.  There are currently no state highways serving the San Tan Valley.  At least until they decide whether or not to build a freeway through here, it'd be a good extension of AZ 24.

Florence-Kelvin Hwy between, believe it or not, Florence and Kelvin.  AZ 477?

Veterans Memorial Blvd. between AZ 77 and San Manuel.  This was proposed as AZ 76 or AZ 176 many years ago, but never commissioned despite appearing on some maps.

Apache Trail/Old West Hwy between the Loop 202 and US 60.  This is the old US 60/70/80/89, and the parts that are in Maricopa and Pinal County islands are still on ADOT's books as unsigned US 60X.  How about AZ 360, the original number for what is now US 60, the Superstition Freeway?

Northern Parkway between Loop 303 and wherever it'll eventually end (Loop 101?) in the West Valley, once it's finished.  Maybe resurrect AZ 50 for this one, since the Paradise Freeway in Phoenix is long dead?

National Forest Highway 3, Lake Mary Rd. between AZ 87 and Flagstaff.  This was once supposed to be taken over by ADOT and signed AZ 487 (shown on some maps) a couple of decades ago, but it never happened.  It should.

From US60 Exit 160 Grand Avenue/Van Buren Street/Mill Avenue/Apache Blvd/Main Street/Apache Trail/ SB Goldfield Road to US60 Exit 198 - WB Old West Highway from US60 Exit 199 could be Business or OLD US60

Northern Parkway/Northern Avenue From AZ Loop 303 to AZ 51 should be MC80 (Northern Avenue is 8000 block North)

Add to list Gilbert Road, Meets AZ 87 on both South End in Pinal County/Gila River Nation and North end in Maricopa County/Salt River-Pima Nation should be AZ 687

If we're going urban surface routes in the Phoenix area I have a couple too that I think worth mention.

- Shea Boulevard from AZ 51 east to AZ 87.  Currently it is the defacto route to Fountain Hills and the Bee Line portion of 87 for pretty much the entire northern valley.  I'd say number that one AZ 52 to keep some consistency with the numbers being semi-sequential and not have another X87.

-  Bell Road from AZ 101 west to AZ 303 certainly carries enough traffic to warrant being a signed route.  Depending on where I-11 potentially might land an extension west of the White Tanks on Sun Valley Parkway could be warranted too.  Numbering probably ought to be in the 50s band since it wouldn't be a loop route but an X60 number or X11 could potentially be used too.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on February 20, 2018, 06:13:37 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on February 20, 2018, 06:09:12 PM

Another idea:

That link isn't my 48. My 48 goes from North Andover to Everett via North Reading, Wakefield, Malden, and Melrose; I only mentioned it because that link's eastern end is at my 48 instead of at a current state route.

Number doesn't really matter, though, as long as it's below 181 (the highest arbitrarily-numbered route in Massachusetts).

Oops, meant 61...

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on February 19, 2018, 12:02:35 PMAnd Furnace Brook Parkway becomes MA 37, although that could be done independently of this proposal.
It's worth noting that Willard St., which meets the Furnace Brook Parkway at the I-93 interchange, was MA 37 prior to the 1959 (full) completion of the Southeast Expressway.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: mapman1071 on February 25, 2018, 01:12:59 AM

ADOT doesn't normally sign or maintain surface street highways within cities, other than at freeway interchanges.  For example, AZ 87 is not signed within the city limits of Mesa and Chandler other than at US 60 and Loop 202 (both ends), and those cities maintain Country Club Dr./Arizona Ave.  They make an exception for US 60 on Grand Ave. and Thomas Rd.

QuoteNorthern Parkway/Northern Avenue From AZ Loop 303 to AZ 51 should be MC80 (Northern Avenue is 8000 block North)

Old-old US 80 (the original highway) is MC 80, although not signed.  If things go true to form, Maricopa County will turn Northern Parkway over to ADOT once it's fully completed, and it'll get a state highway number.  My suggestion was to reuse AZ 50, although nothing has been proposed.

QuoteAdd to list Gilbert Road, Meets AZ 87 on both South End in Pinal County/Gila River Nation and North end in Maricopa County/Salt River-Pima Nation should be AZ 687.

That would be two very short segments of state highway, since most of Gilbert Rd. is within the city limits of Gilbert and Mesa, as well as the Gila River Indian Community.  I'm not sure if the GRIC officially numbers its highways or not.  In any case, they are not signed.

Edit:  Disregard the last sentence.  ADOT does maintain and number state highways on Native American land, but the GRIC doesn't post "Indian Route" numbers on its own reservation-maintained roads.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

JasonOfORoads

The Portland Metro area has a few that need to become state highways:

• Cornelius Pass Road from US-26 to US-30 at the very least. Personally with the southward extension that Washington County is building, I'd be inclined to transfer the whole damn road to the state, assuming it will end at OR-10/Farmington Road.
  • Tualatin-Sherwood Road from I-5 to OR-99W in Sherwood, as well as Roy Rogers Road beyond there to OR-210/Scholls Ferry Road, as a single highway. I don't think it should be extended further northward along SW 175th, however. A very short part of this route in Tualatin used to be OR-212 until around the late 1970s, though it was never under state jurisdiction.
  • Columbia Blvd. from the St. Johns area to I-205 as a realignment of part of US-30 Bypass/Northeast Portland Highway #123. Historically US-30 Bypass and the highway did use part of this alignment back in the 1930s, but was realigned to Lombard/Killingsworth by WWII. The only problem is that it would be a PITA to wind that alignment around to the St. Johns Bridge. Another alternative would be to just drop US-30 Bypass from the state highway system altogether and place a new highway that runs from the shipping terminals near Kelley Point Park to I-205.
  • Once opened, the SW 124th Avenue/Basalt Creek Parkway/Grahams Ferry Road/Day Road corridor. Take OR-141/Beaverton-Tualatin Highway #141 off of most of Boones Ferry Road and Hall Boulevard and sign the entire corridor from OR-99W to I-5 as a new OR-141/Tualatin-Wilsonville Highway #141.
  • Stafford Road/Wilsonville Road from Lake Oswego to Newberg. Most of this was actually slated to be a state highway, or at least a state route, back in the 1930s. Call it the Newberg-Oswego Highway or whatever.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

bzakharin

The Atlantic City Expressway at its terminus in Atlantic City turns into a one way pair of four-lane roads, Columbus Blvd and Arkansas Ave. I don't think they deserve state status, though, since this happens only four blocks from the boardwalk.

DJ Particle

Instead of ending MA-39 with a multiplex of MA-124...continue MA-39 west on Great Western Rd and Weir Rd for a western terminus at MA-6A.

This would be coupled with a new exit on US-6...  Exit 75 (8A if MA hasn't changed to distance yet) for MA-39/N Main St/N Dennis Rd

kurumi

No idea if traffic warrants it, but Quassapaug Rd (Woodbury CT) and Old Watertown Rd (Middlebury CT) would make a natural extension of CT 61 from US 6 to CT 64. Traffic from Morris, Bethlehem, etc. could avoid congestion in Watertown, Middlebury and Southbury to get to I-84.

(Then 61 could take over most of CT 188 down to CT 34.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bing101

Air Force Parkway in Fairfield,CA it's an expressway to the Air Base and it should be a state route.

Richmond Parkway in Pinole it should be CA-93

CC-215 Las Vegas should be renamed NV-215.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: bing101 on April 12, 2018, 12:17:29 PM
CC-215 Las Vegas should be renamed NV-215.

Omg yes.  The fact that 215 is just a county road boggles the mind.

I'm gonna nominate Vasco Rd or Byron Rd (or both) in the Brentwood/Tracy California area.  They connect separate regions, and seem to do what a state highway is intended to do.  They could be an extension of CA-160.

Fain Road in Prescott Valley, AZ ought to be a state route too.  Google already marks it in yellow as if it is one.

Indiana 154 crosses the Wabash River into Illinois, where it continues on a short 1-mile road through Hutsonville to IL Route 1.  That 1-mile stub should be a state road...it just looks like a gap in state coverage to me.

I'll leave it at this short list for now.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

thefraze_1020

Some Washington examples (of course, in my opinion):

Birch Bay-Lynden Road: First of, I am not a fan of the current setup of SR 548 from I-5 exit 266 north of Ferndale to I-5 in Blaine. This road is half east-west, and half north-south. However, I do recognize the road's significance of serving the Cherry Point refineries. Personally, I think the SR 548 designation should be applied to Birch Bay-Lynden Road, beginning at the beach in Birch Bay, crossing I-5 at exit 270, and ending at SR 539 (Guide Meridian) in Lynden. In order to still serve the refineries, I propose creating a spur route or a separate route beginning at the intersection of Birch Bay-Lynden Road and Blaine Road (current SR 548), and heading due south to the refineries. It is also possible to add in another spur off that to directly serve Birch Bay State Park.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/48.9351358,-122.4854732/48.9339352,-122.7484169/48.8921858,-122.7266857/Birch+Bay+State+Park,+Helweg+Road,+Blaine,+WA/@48.9234751,-122.765579,11z/data=!4m16!4m15!1m0!1m0!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-122.7367433!2d48.9068222!3s0x5485bf862d53ddc9:0xb2f04a59ca8ea22!1m5!1m1!1s0x5485c00927c6eb7d:0xd6eb8c702c24858c!2m2!1d-122.7656836!2d48.9034055!3e0?hl=en

Cook Road. This road was once a state route until the 1940's, and should be returned to the system. It is a heavily-used county road (especially with trucks), creating a shortcut between Sedro Woolley and Bellingham. In fact, Sedro Woolley is a control city on the BGS's both directions of I-5 at the interchange with Cook Road. I propose this road being numbered SR 540, between I-5 exit 232 and SR 20/ SR 9 in Sedro Woolley.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/48.5077446,-122.3393938/48.507388,-122.2441694/@48.5007085,-122.3245023,13z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Best Road/ Fir Island Road: This road serves as a good bypass of Mount Vernon to the west and south. I envision this route beginning at I-5 exit 221 (and SR 534) in Conway, crossing Fir Island, and heading north to end at SR 20 at Best Road/ Farm to Market Road. I would likely call this road SR 537. Also, another option could be using Chilberg Road as a spur route to directly connect La Conner to the state highway system.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/48.3412054,-122.3354884/48.3922209,-122.4958213/Fredonia,+WA/@48.3913861,-122.4768623,12z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m0!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-122.443801!2d48.4082823!3s0x54856f7ab034421b:0x534ca2f4e93ca39!1m5!1m1!1s0x54856fc9529a24e5:0xf6885450f020b74c!2m2!1d-122.4440525!2d48.4462161!3e0?hl=en

Woodinville-Duvall Road. This road also was a state route until the 1940's. It is a heavily traveled county road. I would propose this as a state route from the NE 195th St interchange of SR 522 in Woodinville to junction SR 203 in Duvall. This is a tough one to give a number to, but maybe SR 208?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47.7688257,-122.1558855/47.7430146,-121.9857764/@47.756895,-122.1194095,12z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Avondale Road NE. It has always bugged me that SR 520 abruptly ends at junction SR 202 in Redmond. I would extend the state route up to Woodinville-Duvall Road on Avondale Road. The only problem is that SR 520 is an east-west highway, and Avondale Road is north-south. With that said, maybe number Avondale Road as SR 521?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47.6698111,-122.107086/47.7549989,-122.0805666/@47.7247038,-122.1220939,12z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

West Seattle Freeway. Back in 1991, WSDOT did a study of potential roads to include in the state route system when they made a bunch of changes in 1992. One of these routes studied was the West Seattle Freeway and Fauntleroy Way from I-5 to Fauntleroy ferry terminal. For whatever reason, this never panned out. However, I still think it would be a good idea to make this a state route. Since Fauntleroy ferry terminal is considered part of SR 160, I would propose extending SR 160 out to I-5 via Fauntleroy Way and West Seattle Freeway.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fauntleroy+Ferry+Terminal,+Seattle,+WA+98136/47.5715887,-122.3203855/@47.5481576,-122.3855246,13z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x549041494db28f59:0x11588e5697fd44b!2m2!1d-122.3948838!2d47.5232041!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Vashon Hwy SW. I see this as a gap in the state highway system, since all Washington State Ferry routes are considered state highways. With that said, Tahlequah ferry terminal at the south end of the island is considered part of SR 163, and the ferry dock at the north end is part of SR 160. A simple solution is to extend SR 163 up Vashon Hwy to the north end.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tahlequah+Ferry+Terminal,+Southwest+Tahlequah+Road,+Vashon,+WA/47.5103208,-122.4638384/@47.421835,-122.5667524,11z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!1m1!1s0x549053b64a3f111d:0x120602305f1f837b!2m2!1d-122.5076544!2d47.3321473!3m4!1m2!1d-122.4618531!2d47.5026963!3s0x54904661086cee95:0xb954ca4e5b30c4f3!1m0!3e0?hl=en

SE Southworth Drive. This road from SR 16 in Port Orchard to Southworth ferry terminal was SR 160 until 1992. At that time, SR 160 was moved south to Sedgwick Road, and SR 166 now runs from SR 16 to the eastern city limits of Port Orchard. However, now that Kitsap County replaced the old bridge over Curley Creek, I think SR 166 should be extended east to junction SR 160 at Southworth. I would also consider a spur route from Colby to Manchester State Park.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47.5340263,-122.617773/Manchester+State+Park,+East+Hilldale+Road,+Port+Orchard,+WA/47.5121468,-122.5010362/@47.5443404,-122.5990107,12z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-122.541857!2d47.5411043!3s0x5490478cb51452b9:0xa824642ccc5ec83b!1m5!1m1!1s0x5490385876ae02fd:0xc658a798d4af05b3!2m2!1d-122.5562939!2d47.5773287!1m0!3e0?hl=en

SR 109 Taholah. As of now, SR 109 ends suddenly in Taholah. The original plan was for the road to continue up the coast to a junction with US 101 at Queets. However, in the 1970's, the Quinault Indian Tribe had a disagreement with WSDOT over the road, so construction was stopped. It is probably very unlikely that this road will ever be completed. With that said, I would suggest SR 109 be routed on the Moclips Hwy from SR 109 just north of Moclips to junction with US 101 south of Lake Quinault. Then existing SR 109 from Moclips to Taholah could be renumbered as a spur. The benefit of this plan would be increased tourism to this part of the Washington coast, since tourists now would be more aware of through route back to US 101. The downside is, I doubt the Quinault Tribe would be interested in increased traffic across their reservation.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47.2479984,-124.2125131/47.3722719,-123.9026204/@47.3105697,-124.170091,11z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

SR 501 completion. As of now, SR 501 exists in two segments. The southern segment just stops in the middle of nowhere northwest of Vancouver. The northern portion runs from I-5 exit 14 to Ridgefield. It is unlikely that this road will ever be finished, because between the two segments lies Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge. Until the early 1960's, at state route existed from Vancouver to Ridgefield up the east side of the Refuge. I would propose to route SR 501 up this route, via Fruit Valley Road, NW Lakeshore Ave, NW 41st Ave, and Hillhurst Road.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45.6402587,-122.6925406/45.8154177,-122.7386448/@45.7410751,-122.7821966,11z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-122.7129195!2d45.7531163!3s0x5495ad3f30ef0a9b:0xf6b24f48fb61d907!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Randle to Carson/ Windy Ridge. As of now, SR 131 exists from junction US 12 in Randle to the national forest boundary about three miles to the south. However, one can travel on a paved road through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest between Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams all the way down to SR 14 in Carson. This is a fantastic road full of natural beauty. I propose to make this corridor a branch of SR 14, so possibly SR 145? It would begin at junction SR 14 in Carson and travel up the Wind River Highway, becoming Forest Road 30. It would then take a left on Curly Creek Road (Forest Road 90), and a right on Forest Road 25, following it all the way up to Randle. Two things to note: Wind River Highway from US 830 (now SR 14) in Carson to the national forest boundary was once a state route until the early 1960's. Also, my proposal here would replace the SR 131 designation on the northernmost three miles of the route. And it is also worth noting that this is currently a seasonal road, closed in winter. Under state maintenance, it would continue to be open seasonally.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45.7152623,-121.8288362/Randle,+WA/@45.9791198,-122.2041213,9z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x5496cf96b4d79c09:0x136cc84c3d640fe4!2m2!1d-121.9572497!2d46.535335!3e0?hl=en

To add to the above idea, I would make changes to SR 503 as it exists now. SR 503 has an east-west segment, and a north-south segment. I would leave the north-south segment as is, but I would eliminate the east-west segment and SR 503 spur. In its place, I would propose to create a state route from I-5 at Woodland to a junction with proposed SR 145 (noted above) on the east side of Swift Reservoir. Maybe call it SR 146?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45.9057698,-122.7423346/46.0644089,-122.0270325/@46.0045393,-122.5512721,10z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

thefraze_1020

Quote from: Algorithm on February 20, 2018, 04:12:39 PM
In Seattle, Spokane Street / Fauntleroy Way is the only direct connection between a state ferry terminal and a major highway that is not itself part of the state highway system.  This could be marked as an extension of SR-160, or since this particular ferry serves multiple destinations, the separate designation of SR-517 is also available.

I did not read this until after I made my post. Sorry to repeat your idea.

Bitmapped

In West Virginia, everything outside of city limits is owned by WVDOH and assigned a (generally lightly posted) county route number. That having been said, I think the following routes should be promoted to primary WV route status:

- Near Morgantown, WV 705 should be extended over CR 19/24 (Chaplin Hill Road) on the west end to I-79. On the east end, it should be extended out CR 857 to I-68. These are major 4-lane roads already and would make WV 705 a continuous route across northern Morgantown.

- In Grant County north of Petersburg, CR 5 (Patterson Creek Road) between US 48 and WV 42 should be upgraded to a state route. It has similar geometry to one and is widely used a shortcut. I'd likely move the WV 42 designation or even US 220 onto it. I might also upgrade the US 48 to US 50 section as well.

- In Pendleton and Hardy Counties, I'd upgrade CR 3 (Sweedlin Valley Road) and CR 7 (South Fork Road) to a WV route. The route supports 55mph+ speeds and fills in a logical gap in the WV route network.

- In Mercer County, I'd bump up CR 120 (former WV 20) back to primary status, maybe as an extension of WV 102. It's signed similar to a state route now and connects some tourist destinations with Bramwell and Pocahontas.

thefraze_1020

Now for some Eastern Washington ideas.

Bickleton Hwy. Although this road does not get a whole ton of traffic, I have driven it before. The scenery (especially on the west end of the road) is beautiful, and it is a great way to get to the Yakima Valley without crossing Satus Pass. Therefore, I propose an extension of SR 142 from its current terminus at US 97 in Goldendale to junction SR 22 in Mabton.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45.8246004,-120.8080848/46.2111296,-119.998407/@45.995114,-120.631884,10z/data=!4m3!4m2!3e0!5i1?hl=en

Return SR 220. I'm not sure why, but SR 220 was decommissioned in 1992. Personally I think it should be returned, to give state highway access to Fort Simcoe State Park.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46.375062,-120.3201676/Fort+Simcoe+Historical+State+Park,+Fort+Simcoe+Road,+White+Swan,+WA/@46.3922619,-120.989393,10z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-120.7753314!2d46.3723679!3s0x5497757ea12037ed:0x42ef32d58cbbc7ba!1m5!1m1!1s0x5497a00cdbee0efd:0x82e8ec55213873ce!2m2!1d-120.8366297!2d46.3425591!3e0?hl=en

Pasco-Kahlotus Road. This is one of the longer county roads in the state, connecting...you guessed it. I would add it to the state highway system as an extension of SR 21 from its current terminus at SR 260 in Kahlotus to junction US 12 on the east side of Pasco.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46.6448083,-118.5525154/46.23951,-119.0569273/@46.3838836,-118.8851019,10z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Lyons Ferry Road. This one is questionable, but I consider it a good through route for Walla Wallans to visit Palouse Falls. This route would run from junction SR 124 west of Prescott to junction SR 261 just south of Lyons Ferry Bridge. It could be numbered SR 265, or an extension of SR 125.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46.2889227,-118.4865184/46.5816415,-118.2149201/@46.4698191,-118.5042021,10z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Wawawai Road. At one point this road was to be built by the state along the Snake River towards Lower Granite Dam. This never happened, but SR 193 does exist on the southernmost few miles of this road, and the existing road does provide a good all-Washington alternate route to Pullman. I would extend SR 193 from its current terminus at Port of Wilma up the river to Wawawai County Park. Then the route would climb out of the canyon, turn north on Wawawai-Pullman Road, and replace the easternmost segment of SR 194 to a junction with US 195.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46.4267657,-117.1106241/46.7258396,-117.2225561/@46.5764624,-117.3609562,10z/data=!4m3!4m2!3e0!5i1?hl=en

Steptoe Butte. As of now, Steptoe Butte State Park does not have direct state highway access. Therefore, I would propose extending SR 271 south from Oakesville down Hume Road to a junction with US 195 between Steptoe and Colfax.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47.1220468,-117.2312334/46.97337,-117.3239423/@47.0627305,-117.3047394,11z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Warden to Lind. As of now, SR 170 ends in the middle of Warden, but a good county road continues into Adams County and all the way east to a junction with SR 21 west of Lind. I would extend SR 170 east to SR 21.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46.9697042,-119.045867/46.9741609,-118.6640893/@46.9522823,-118.974364,11z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Conconully. Conconully is a small town northwest of Omak, featuring a popular state park. The nearest state routes are in Omak, so in order to provide state highway access to Conconully and the state park, I would propose a state route from junction SR 215/ Business US 97 in downtown Omak, up the hill on Cherry Ave W and Kermel Road, then turn north on Conconully Road to end in the middle of the road's namesake town. Let's call it SR 217.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/48.4141436,-119.5284157/48.5573157,-119.7501544/@48.4591477,-119.7078966,11z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

Ferry Port of Entry, Curlew to US 395. Just south of Midway, BC (and a stone's throw off BC 3) is Ferry Port of Entry border crossing. A state route from here down Customs Road and Kettle River Road to Curlew would provide the traveling public with another option to cross the border. To add to this, as of now, WSDOT posts signs on SR 21 in Curlew directing traffic to use Boulder Creek road to get to US 395 to the east. If they think it's a good route to use, why is it not a state route? Therefore I would propose creating a state route from Ferry Port of Entry, crossing SR 21 in Curlew and ending at junction US 395 south of Orient. Call it SR 296.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/U.S.+Customs+and+Border+Protection+-+Ferry+Port+of+Entry,+1377+Customs+Rd,+Curlew,+WA+99118/48.8367818,-118.187701/@48.9488278,-118.6709636,10z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x549d54bb0ac23495:0x3d308c631d719e1c!2m2!1d-118.7614094!2d48.9995269!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Northport to Boundary Port of Entry (return SR 251). SR 251 existed until the mid 1980's, from junction SR 25 in Northport to the border crossing at Boundary. In fact, on the BC side, the border is still served by BC 22A. I would like to see old SR 251 returned to the state highway system.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/48.9176149,-117.7774199/49.0007008,-117.6248851/@48.9567747,-117.7447466,12z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en

All of rambling did not just come to me; I have thought about this for years...

Takumi

Robious Road in Chesterfield County and its Huguenot Trail extension in Powhatan east of VA 288 should be primary. The SR 711 part used to be. Also the proposed VA 147 extension down Courthouse Road to US 360 should have happened.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bing101

Quote from: sparker on February 16, 2018, 01:00:09 AM
There's a few in this area and central CA that warrant state designation:

(1) Vasco Road (Alameda/Contra Costa Counties).  CA 84 extension.  Commute Central to Brentwood/Discovery Bay.
(2) French Camp Road from I-5 and extending past CA 99 to CA 120.  Used by Stockton-area folks to get to Yosemite.  This is close enough to unconstructed CA 234 to warrant that number as an "existing" facility.
(3) County J17 from Patterson through Turlock to CA 59 west of Snelling.  Logical extension of the CA 130 "corridor" from San Jose to CA 33 at Patterson; since CA 130 is now an "orphan" highway, this would be a nice way to re-up the number.  Fanciful extension: east to CA 49 north of Mariposa.

Would Caltrans consider any of the above?  Probably not; they're still in "shedding" mode.

There's a CA-84 gap Because there's the Solano/Sacramento counties section of CA-84 that goes through the Sacramento Delta and it was supposed to bridge with Vasco Road and CA-84 Pleasanton to Menlo Park Section. Apparently CA-84 was supposed to be a bypass for both I-80 and I-5 though.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 12, 2018, 10:55:13 PM
Fain Road in Prescott Valley, AZ ought to be a state route too.  Google already marks it in yellow as if it is one.

As I mentioned earlier, ADOT had proposed that Fain Rd. become AZ 48, but it was never commissioned.  A 1938 map shows it as being AZ 179, but I don't think that lasted long.

https://www.arizonaroads.com/maps/1938-1.jpg
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.