News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"After looking at a map of New Orleans, this writer isn’t convinced it’s real"

Started by kurumi, March 23, 2018, 12:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

formulanone

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

Quote from: Brandon on March 23, 2018, 07:17:25 AM
There's a reason Twitter has the word "twit" at its root.

...but sarcasm over your head? :)

To be fair, the Mississippi River was artificially banked to create a large shipping channel, so he gets half-credit.

silverback1065

:-D pretty funny.  Lake Bourgne was actually a lake, a looooong time ago, like the 1700s.
:-D new orleans is fake news!

jeffandnicole

it does seem a bit realistic that New Orleans should be to the north of all that water, not to the south of a lake.  It's hard to tell that on large maps though.  A night of drinking those grenades down there can really screw you up!

csw

Something I learned when I was down there last year...the riverbanks are the highest elevation in the city, so contrary to common thinking, if you want to avoid flooding, you move closer to the river. The sediments from the river have built up its banks. That's also why it snakes out into the gulf so much.

Max Rockatansky

A couple photos from the air prove New Orleans and the Mississippi River Delta is very much real:

IMG_6722 - Copy by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_6731 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_6731 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

That was a highly amusing read, definitely made my morning.

cjk374

I have driven all the way down LA 23 to Venice. It ends just short of a shrimp boat marina when you completely run out of drivable road. It is real & it exists. Neat drive.

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Urban Prairie Schooner

pianocello

I'm kinda surprised he didn't mention how the street grids just casually run into each other.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.