News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Location of mountain pass closure signs on US 395/California

Started by jpm, April 10, 2018, 04:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpm

It's been a while since I've driven down US 395 south and I can't recall the location of any of the green (or white) mountain pass closure signs.

There is one on southbound CA-88 just south of the NV/CA listing Luther, Monitor, Carson, and Ebbetts Pass, but where are the ones on US-395?  (I'm not talking about the electronic ones - those are easy to locate).

Many thanks for your help on this one.....

--jpm

roadfro

Are you talking about this sign? (Image from AARoads)

If so, this Caltrans sign is actually located in Nevada on SB US 395 just south of Garnderville about 20 miles north of the state line at Topaz Lake (here)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Inyomono395

There are several. The first two that come to mind (because I drive by them everyday) are in or near Bishop. One is just north of the intersection of US 6 and the other is just south of Ed Powers RD.

J N Winkler

Besides the pass closure signs that list multiple passes, the turnoff signs for pass roads often have a closure sign mounted on the same posts.  Tioga Pass (SR 120) has had one for at least fifteen years, and one is to be installed for Sonora Pass (SR 108) as part of a recently advertised contract.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

gonealookin

Coming northbound from LA today via CA 14 and US 395, I noticed two pretty far south of the same style as the one in Nevada shown in roadfro's post.  One was on CA 14 a couple miles north of the California City Boulevard exit, and the other was on US 395 a few miles north of the 14/395 merge near Ridgecrest.

jpm

Thanks for your replies.
Do any of you know of the existence of any other mountain pass closure signs like these besides the ones on US-395?  (For example, the one I pointed out earlier on CA-88 heading south at the NV/CA border)

All the best,

jpm

395fun2drive

CA-120/108 east of Oakdale has signs for both Sonora & Tioga Pass.

J N Winkler

There is one for SR 4 just east of Angels Camp.  It is of the folding type.  When the SR 4 crossing (Ebbetts Pass) is open, the folded section hangs down to expose the word "Open."  When it is closed, the folded section is up and reads "Closed At Lake Alpine" in black on yellow.  Since Ebbetts Pass is one of the longest remaining segments of one-lane state highway in California, there is a nearby sign reading "Trailers Not Advisable Beyond Lake Alpine 49 Mi Ahead."

SR 4 Ebbetts Pass Open

Partial view of closure message

Trailers, Lake Alpine, etc.

Edit:  Defined location more precisely and added StreetView links to signs in question.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.