News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I Need Help.

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, April 29, 2018, 06:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I am looking to either a) save time in not having to trace the font or b) having to trace the letters from the image I already have.

It is the serif based slogan of the IDrive Arkansas logo.
https://www.google.com/search?q=idrive+arkansas+icon&safe=strict&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS707US707&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizht_2n9_aAhUqvlkKHd4_C1EQ_AUICigB&biw=1707&bih=844&dpr=1.13#imgrc=FditodoMvN_fqM:

I would like to figure out the closest family to that, so that I may use it to get partial or full effect of what I am using it for. What I am working on is CALL 511 type signage, and Arkansas uses IDrive Arkansas (it's going to be an example sign).

*Serif green text.

Thanks!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Scott5114

The bad news–each word is in a different font. "I" could be anything–it's really hard to tell what any font is from just the letter I.

The good news–"DRIVE" looks a lot like an oblique Franklin Gothic, which you should have on your computer. It may not be an exact match, but enough to fake it.

"ARKANSAS" is a stumper–there's a billion sans-serif fonts in that general design, and I'm not sure which one it is.

This tool might help: http://www.identifont.com/
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2018, 06:32:44 AM
The bad news–each word is in a different font. "I" could be anything–it's really hard to tell what any font is from just the letter I.

The good news–"DRIVE" looks a lot like an oblique Franklin Gothic, which you should have on your computer. It may not be an exact match, but enough to fake it.

"ARKANSAS" is a stumper–there's a billion sans-serif fonts in that general design, and I'm not sure which one it is.

This tool might help: http://www.identifont.com/
I traced the I DRIVE ARKANSAS by hand. I have that -- It looks pretty damn good IMO. But, I am after the serif type face of it's slogan Travel Smart. Travel Safe. I found an image with the slogan included, but the resolution is shit.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, I did some magic and I extracted the slogan from the image I had. I am going to have to clean up the blotchiness of the resulting letters. It should take - oh about, half my life to complete! But, I guess if I'm going for an experience for those that end up seeing it, might as well make it a full one! :bigass:

Results so far:

Orignal:

Done by Hand (This was from an image without the slogan, but I incorporated it):

Slogan Extract:

The slogan (above) needs some smoothing/reform of letters, but this is where I work best - from an already built foundation. This small project will be a feature as an example sign in The Sign Shop thread of mine, as will other state's usage of the CALL 511 signage.

Fruit of Labor:

(Thanks, David!)

Not every detail is here, but this is the sign I was comparing to -- since it was out in the field.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.