News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What are these things?

Started by MikeCL, May 15, 2018, 09:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeCL

I've seen them local in town on some roads but this is the first time I've seen it on a highway

WillWeaverRVA

Overheight vehicle detection system?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

MikeCL

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 15, 2018, 11:06:45 AM
Overheight vehicle detection system?
Can't be I've seen them in town where they were at stop lights at intersections facing the stop line

jeffandnicole

They're some sort of traffic counting device.

oscar

They look more like a closure gate in the "open" position, there if needed to block traffic. The lights on the pole above the sign, and the counterweight on the bottom, are tip-offs.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jeffandnicole

Quote from: oscar on May 15, 2018, 01:31:02 PM
They look more like a closure gate in the "open" position, there if needed to block traffic. The lights on the pole above the sign, and the counterweight on the bottom, are tip-offs.

They're not lights, they're sensors.  And that's not a counterweight at the bottom but rather a stand if it were to be placed directly on the ground.

paulthemapguy

Where is this located?  Context might help us to figure out what it is.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

1995hoo

My first thought was that it looks like a gate they could use to block traffic if needed for contraflow, such as in a hurricane evacuation, but then I noticed the OP is from Connecticut, so I doubt that initial thought is correct.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

It appears to be a sampling probe.

Things worth sampling that high off the ground:  noise and pollution

DaBigE

That's a Miovision traffic data collector. The thing at the top is the recording camera. They're mostly used for collecting intersection counts; however, the video can be used in other ways as well. One black box is the "brains" and the other likely is a backup battery. It'll likely disappear in a few days.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

MikeCL

Here is another in another town I saw a few months back

roadman

"Unleaded Fuel Only."  How old is THAT vehicle?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: roadman on May 16, 2018, 01:00:03 PM

Huh.  I had to run out to my car to check, and I was surprised to see it doesn't say anything about unleaded fuel only.  I could have sworn it did.  I'm nearly certain my 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan had something like that on the gas cap or cover.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

I'll also say that a big sticker like "UNLEADED FUEL ONLY" is a useful reminder to the driver of a fleet vehicle that he should not fill it up with Diesel.

I used to drive a delivery truck for a company whose fleet consisted of three Diesel trucks and one gasoline truck.  On the rare occasion I had to run my route with the gasoline truck, it was hard to remember to reach for the other pump at the gas station.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MikeCL on May 16, 2018, 03:53:19 AM

And note in this picture it's sitting on the ground, showing that's what that black thingy at the bottom is really for.

I've seen them in Trenton, NJ at intersections on occasion, like as shown in this picture (usually attached to a nearby sign pole).

MikeCL

It's my ups truck.. you will be surprised how many people put diesel in a gasoline truck or vice versa

MikeCL

Quote from: kphoger on May 16, 2018, 02:47:56 PM
I'll also say that a big sticker like "UNLEADED FUEL ONLY" is a useful reminder to the driver of a fleet vehicle that he should not fill it up with Diesel.

I used to drive a delivery truck for a company whose fleet consisted of three Diesel trucks and one gasoline truck.  On the rare occasion I had to run my route with the gasoline truck, it was hard to remember to reach for the other pump at the gas station.
Yep! It sucks when you have to drain the tank because someone filled up with diesel or gasoline!

sharkyfour

Too funny.  I just saw one of those at an intersection in Willimantic and was trying to figure out what they were.

Looks like CT DOT is moving more and more to video for things that used to be in/on the road surface.  Last week I noticed the bid package that went out for replacing a couple local traffic signals calls for video detection instead of inductive loops in the pavement.  And then I noticed them starting to install the video detection cameras at intersections along US-6 in Windham that was repaved last summer and the inductive loop detectors were never re-installed.

MikeCL

Quote from: sharkyfour on May 19, 2018, 11:42:11 AM
Too funny.  I just saw one of those at an intersection in Willimantic and was trying to figure out what they were.

Looks like CT DOT is moving more and more to video for things that used to be in/on the road surface.  Last week I noticed the bid package that went out for replacing a couple local traffic signals calls for video detection instead of inductive loops in the pavement.  And then I noticed them starting to install the video detection cameras at intersections along US-6 in Windham that was repaved last summer and the inductive loop detectors were never re-installed.
I don't really care too much for the cameras for what ever reason I've had them not detect me.. I've been at lights that never change.. I mean you can force a change if you press a cross walk button.. but I don't get how these lights never cycle automatically after so many minutes of staying green for one side.

It drives me nuts pretty much all of CT still has the red left turn arrow as I did not get over the loop sensor in time.. so I have to wait for the light to cycle twice before I get a green arrow.. I don't know why they don't change to a flashing yellow.. it would make so much since not only because the turning lane is so short.

roadman

Quote from: MikeCL on May 16, 2018, 08:29:00 PM
It’s my ups truck.. you will be surprised how many people put diesel in a gasoline truck or vice versa
Fair point.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.