News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I35 at US30 in Ames

Started by rte66man, June 04, 2018, 07:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

Took the following photos over Memorial Day weekend on a trip to and from Minnesota:

NB 35 approaching Ames near the South Skunk River

NB35 at the South Skunk River.

Approaching US30 interchange.

You can see where the new flyover to WB US30 will hook in.

SB at the same interchange.

South of US30 approaching the South Skunk River

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

WhitePoleRD

Anyone that has driven that interchange knows how many times life has flashed before their eyes trying to get onto 30 West from 35 North. The flyover ramp is a welcome addition.

Now about that six-laning...
You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

Highway63

I am not in favor of that spacing on the up arrows under "35 North". I'm not thrilled about them being up arrows, either.

I was going to rag on the "30" being centered but then I realized that it's likely "West" is going to be placed in the blank area when the flyover opens. Notably, the need for two directions on the same BGS eliminate the ability to have BL I-35 and ISU on the westbound sign.

The five-year plan has grading between Ankeny and IA 210 set for 2023, which would mean paving for six lanes in at least one direction in 2024. But nothing for between 210 and 30 yet, which would put it off until closer to 2030.

skluth

Article with aerial sketch of future interchange. Strangely, I couldn't find a IDOT page for this project.

https://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2017/04/13/road

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Highway63 on June 05, 2018, 01:04:28 AM
I am not in favor of that spacing on the up arrows under "35 North". I'm not thrilled about them being up arrows, either.

That's just how APL (arrow-per-lane) signs work. (Love 'em or hate 'em...) Everything is at the same height: Route shield, control cities, and then the arrows. And because US-30 is going to have two cities (Nevada and Ames), the I-35 section of the panel has to have that empty space. If they added a second city below Minneapolis (Clear Lake/Mason City, or Albert Lea, or even St. Paul, though a bit redundant) it might look better, or at least it wouldn't have that empty space.

rte66man

Quote from: WhitePoleRD on June 04, 2018, 11:13:32 PM
Anyone that has driven that interchange knows how many times life has flashed before their eyes trying to get onto 30 West from 35 North. The flyover ramp is a welcome addition.

Now about that six-laning...

Photos taken over Memorial Day weekend of the six-laning near Ankeny:

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.