News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

The Noughties

Started by webny99, June 20, 2018, 12:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Beltway on June 21, 2018, 09:58:20 PM
Quote from: 20160805 on June 21, 2018, 07:36:18 AM
I refer to the decade as the 2000s or in short the 00s (along similar lines to 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc.) and pronounce it "two-thousands".
I do hear that expression, but they are "tens", not "thousands".

Exactly; after 2100, saying "two thousands" will become too ambiguous.
Even now, I can't think of how I'd refer to 1900-1909 specifically. For 1910-1919, we can say "nineteen tens", but for the former, "early 1900's" is about as good as you can get.

webny99

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 21, 2018, 10:07:54 PM
While in contrast post 9/11 are dark times.

I don't disagree. Up for (sensible) debate though.

bugo

The 1950s were far more optimistic than the 1990s were.

english si

Quote from: hbelkins on June 21, 2018, 03:38:20 PMThey might add requests to the queue, but they cue up a play list.
In US English, perhaps. In British English, we typically use queue.

Both are right, but slightly different. Thinking about it, the En-US idea is perhaps more accurate, due to being done in advanced preparation.

To cue up something is to set cues (eg the song before ending) that get something to happen (the song after beginning).

To queue up something is to put it in a queue.

abefroman329

in fact, the 90s were probably the most optimistic time ever.

Oh, I disagree.  People could afford to be apathetic, but I wouldn't confuse that with optimism.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 22, 2018, 11:28:21 AM
in fact, the 90s were probably the most optimistic time ever.

Oh, I disagree.  People could afford to be apathetic, but I wouldn't confuse that with optimism.

Q: What's worse, ignorance or apathy?

A: I don't know, and I don't care.

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

I dunno.  1990s were pretty great.  USSR had just fallen, Gulf War I was won, worst scandal was Lewinsky.  Brought back Woodstock.

It was indeed pretty optimistic, come to think of it.  Moreso than we have ever had since 9-11.  Probably the most optimistic decade in my lifetime.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2018, 02:02:32 PM
I dunno.  1990s were pretty great.  USSR had just fallen, Gulf War I was won, worst scandal was Lewinsky.  Brought back Woodstock.

It was indeed pretty optimistic, come to think of it.  Moreso than we have ever had since 9-11.  Probably the most optimistic decade in my lifetime.

Christ, the one defining characteristic of Gen Xers was apathy.  Look at all of the advertising from the era that was basically "You don't care?  Neither do we.  Buy our stuff."  Watch any episode of Daria.

briantroutman

For all those people claiming that the '90s were an optimistic time: Maybe you were optimistic, particularly at your age and stage in life at the time, but I hardly think that's an accurate description of the '90s cultural zeitgeist. Abe is right: The '90s were all about being jaded and alienated...angsty. (And by the way, buy a pair of new Levis® Button Fly™ jeans at your local suburban shopping mall to demonstrate your angst!)

Now the '80s, for better or for worse, were an optimistic time as far as popular culture is concerned. Between EPCOT, the Space Shuttle, "Morning in America" –a time when a jovial President could quote Doc Brown ("Where we're going, we don't need roads!" ) and a song like "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades"  could become a hit.

abefroman329

Quote from: briantroutman on June 22, 2018, 03:29:30 PM
(And by the way, buy a pair of new Levis® Button Fly™ jeans at your local suburban shopping mall to demonstrate your angst!)

Or, when the weather gets warm, a pair of Levi's Denim Shorts!  Yes, once upon a time, jorts were fashionable!

formulanone

Quote from: briantroutman on June 22, 2018, 03:29:30 PM...and a song like “The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades” could become a hit.

Which put a nice spin on a nuclear holocaust.

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 22, 2018, 03:15:09 PM

Christ, the one defining characteristic of Gen Xers was apathy.  Look at all of the advertising from the era that was basically "You don't care?  Neither do we.  Buy our stuff."  Watch any episode of Daria.

Pfft. I was too apathetic to watch MTV back then.

In all honesty, our generation could have celebrated that we weren't annihilated by mutual-assured destruction a little better, but our niche pre-Boomer/post-Greatest Generation parents prepared us for that kind of ennui.

On the other hand, we had Surge.

MisterSG1

That's why I explicitly mentioned the word geopolitics, think about it....after World War II, there was the constant aggression with the USSR known as the Cold War. Even in the 1980s, there was still the constant fear of the red button being pushed at any time. Although the reunification process started in 1990, Germany, a country that was torn apart in two was put back together in the early 90s. The only real conflicts in this era were the Gulf War and the Kosovo War, both which were very brief......shall we compare this to the Wars in Afgahnistan and Iraq.

As for Woodstock....the demise of it happened as well in the 90s.  :biggrin: But honestly, that was bad luck, a combination of incredibly greedy promoters, charging $4 for a bottle of water in 1999, combine that with the heat wave experienced in upstate New York at the time where temperatures above 100F were recorded, as well as there being almost no shade at the venue. It took place on an air force base and obviously the trees had to be removed for the base to exist. So all these factors caused the disaster that we now know as Woodstock '99.

I guess some are equating the whole 1990s to the grunge movement in Seattle.....sure one could say Nevermind was a depressing album that changed how we looked at music.

What is it about the 90s that are so bad and depressing?

Rothman

Pfft.  As a GenXer, the angst was a silly facade.  There is a nostalgia for the simpler times before the disaster that was Afghanistan/Iraq under President Bush II.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on June 22, 2018, 04:44:32 PM
Pfft.  As a GenXer, the angst was a silly facade.

I think we set out to change the world, but couldn't even get around to abolishing the 9/10-cent appendix on gasoline.

The angst and melodrama was just to prepare us for our 40s. As a suburbanite, there wasn't ever that much to be a downer about (other than the usual teenage troubles).

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on June 21, 2018, 08:50:06 AM
Quote from: english si on June 21, 2018, 04:26:41 AM
QuoteTake "queue" and "line", for example. You don't really need a separate term for a line of people, but having one allows you to add clarity without adding length.
Queue and line are different concepts: queue has an order, line is just a 1-d shape.

A queue is a type of line; here's the primary definition:

Dude, are you really trying to tell a British person how waiting in line works?

For your next trick, you should offer football classes to Tom Brady.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

7/8

I don't think "the Noughties" will catch-on in North America due to the cot-caught merger (common in a lot of the US and throughout Canada) making it rhyme with "naughties". I think "the Zeroes" would be a good name but it hasn't caught on. I usually say "the Two-Thousands" since it's widely understood, but I don't like it since it isn't clear whether that means the decade or the millenium.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 7/8 on June 23, 2018, 11:05:54 AM
I don't think "the Noughties" will catch-on in North America due to the cot-caught merger (common in a lot of the US and throughout Canada) making it rhyme with "naughties". I think "the Zeroes" would be a good name but it hasn't caught on. I usually say "the Two-Thousands" since it's widely understood, but I don't like it since it isn't clear whether that means the decade or the millenium.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "the two-thousands" and them having meant the millennium.

"The noughties" seems nice in principle, but because of the cot-caught merger, as 7/8 mentions, I think it sounds weird spoken.

hotdogPi

I don't have the cot-caught merger, but I would still pronounce "noughties" and "naughties" the same way.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 23, 2018, 01:50:36 AM
Quote from: webny99 on June 21, 2018, 08:50:06 AM
Quote from: english si on June 21, 2018, 04:26:41 AM
QuoteTake "queue" and "line", for example. You don't really need a separate term for a line of people, but having one allows you to add clarity without adding length.
Queue and line are different concepts: queue has an order, line is just a 1-d shape.
A queue is a type of line; here's the primary definition:
Dude, are you really trying to tell a British person how waiting in line works?
For your next trick, you should offer football classes to Tom Brady.

Dictionaries don't lie. Waiting in line ("queue", whatever) works the same here as it does in Britain. A queue is a type of line (that has an order); that's an indisputable fact.

EDIT: Removed irrelevant comment.

7/8

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 23, 2018, 11:33:34 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on June 23, 2018, 11:05:54 AM

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "the two-thousands" and them having meant the millennium.

"The noughties" seems nice in principle, but because of the cot-caught merger, as 7/8 mentions, I think it sounds weird spoken.

I could also say "the Two-Thousands" sounds like a century too. It's too early for it to be a problem yet, so maybe l'm making a problem out of nothing, but in the future it could be confusing.

And that leads me to ask, what did people call the first decade of the 1900's? If someone were to say 1900's now, most people would think of the century, not the decade. And this is why I think "the 2000's" term will age poorly.

webny99

Have you ever heard "nineteen hundreds" with reference to the century? Of course.
Same for "two thousands": After 2100, it will refer to the entire century, almost exclusively.

(Edit: Looks like 7/8 beat me to it, but you get the idea.)

briantroutman

^ Depends heavily on the context. If someone told me they bought a house that was built in "the 1900s" , I would immediately assume they're talking about a turn-of-the-century Edwardian house, definitely not a 1962 split-level. On the other hand, if someone referred to James Buchanan as "the worst President of the 1800s" , I would first wonder the speaker said "1800s"  instead of "19th century"  (the former terminology seems more common among less educated people than the latter), and then I would accept that the person was referring to 1800-1899.

Likewise, if someone said that they entered high school in "the 2000s" , I would immediately assume they're talking about the Bush II era, not last year.

I probably hear "2000s"  used to refer to 2000-2009 decade more than any other term–certainly much more than "noughties" , "oughts" , and "Os" . combined.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on June 23, 2018, 12:01:07 PM
Have you ever heard "nineteen hundreds" with reference to the millennium? Of course.

No, because they're referring to the 20th century, not the whole millennium.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 23, 2018, 12:32:13 PM
Have you ever heard "nineteen hundreds" with reference to the millennium? Of course.

My brain was thinking "century", but my fingers typed "millennium", who knows why. I've updated my post. The point is that "1900's" no longer refers to just 1900-1909; it refers to the entire century.

Obviously, you don't hear people saying "the one thousands" to refer to 1000-1999!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on June 23, 2018, 02:42:37 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 23, 2018, 12:32:13 PM

My brain was thinking "century", but my fingers typed "millennium", who knows why. I've updated my post. The point is that "1900's" no longer refers to just 1900-1909; it refers to the entire century.

Obviously, you don't hear people saying "the one thousands" to refer to 1000-1999!

I've yet to hear anyone in regular conversation refer to the entirety of the 20th Century as the 1900s.  Most people still refer to decades like "the 1980s or 80s."  

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.