News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Dante's View Road

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 01, 2018, 07:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

This is another road from the 2016 photo albums ascending to an overlook of Death Valley in the Black Mountains of Inyo County.  I found Dante's View Road on a 1935 Division of Highways Map of Inyo County and I was kind of surprised it was there.  I suspect that Dante's View road was probably built either in 1907 with the first Ryan Mine or in 1914 when the second mine was built along with the Death Valley Railroad.  If anyone has some early 20th century road maps of Inyo County it might be useful in terms of tracking down a more accurate timeframe:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/07/2016-fall-mountain-trip-part-4-death.html

The Ghostbuster

Was Dante's View Road was named after the famous Italian author Dante? Or is it just a coincidence that the road and the author have the same name? Does anyone know?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 02, 2018, 03:52:17 PM
Was Dante's View Road was named after the famous Italian author Dante? Or is it just a coincidence that the road and the author have the same name? Does anyone know?

I always assumed it was a reference to Hell given that there are other places in Death Valley with names like "Hell's Gate"  and "Devil's Golf Course."  

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.