[Map] 4 years of trucking, each dot is somewhere he spent >1 hour.

Started by kurumi, July 12, 2018, 10:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

https://imgur.com/DIttlWS

Submitter's text: "Google location history since I started OTR truck driving 4 years ago. The dots are places where I stopped for more than an hour or so. I like how they sorta form the interstate highway network, you can pick out the I-10, I-40, etc. #trucking"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

sparker

While sticking mostly to established Interstate corridors (particularly the 40/44/70 continuum), it's interesting to see what non-Interstate corridors that he tended to use could be interpolated from his data.  This is what I've got so far:
     (1)  CA 99, looks like from Bakersfield to at least Stockton.
     (2)  US 54, Tucumcari, NM > Wichita, KS.  With I-35 following, obviously a OKC-avoiding
           shortcut.
     (3)  Avenue of the Saints (US 61, MSR 27, I-380).  Hey, gotta get from StL to MSP
           somehow!
     (4)  US 35, OH/WV.  Classic diagonal interregional, avoids a lot of potential             
           chokepoints.
     (5)  DE 1/US 13 -- Delmarva cutoff, E. Coast S.O.P.

Would be interesting to get a perspective about driving these corridors vis-à-vis an all-Interstate set of routes (if that would be feasible).  Likely no practical difference on US 35 save the gaps in WV; same with CA 99 and AOS (except slogging through Hannibal), but the others feature at-grade local traffic crossing & mixing.  Curiously, all these corridors  also figure prominently in the various studies showing commercial traffic volumes -- occasionally equaling or outstripping nearby Interstates (when there are such). 

But kudos to the data submitter; even with largely anecdotal information, in the aggregate it illustrates the preferences and predilections of a person who's been in the driver's seat for a few years and has developed some sort of personal algorithm regarding routing; the fact that it corresponds at all with larger databases accumulated elsewhere is in itself striking.  This is a "planners, take note!" kind of practical information.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.