Events that made you go and buy an album?

Started by CapeCodder, August 01, 2018, 07:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

I know the title is kind of wonky, but what I mean by it is; was there ever an event that inspired you to go buy an album from a particular artist?

I visited my dad in Gouverneur, NY Thanksgiving 2014. He had just divorced his second wife and was very lonely. I bought and downloaded Tunnel of Love by The Boss. One song from the album really stuck with me, and that is Track 10, or One Step Up. The part of the song at 2:09-2:15 reminds me very much of my dad, as in the way he talks and acts. The song even reminds me of my breakup with a girlfriend in 2016.

oscar

When I first drove the "Montanabahns" (interstates there when there were no fixed daytime speed limits), I took a detour into Butte to buy a CD of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn".

Of course, most later occasions it was purely ironic when I played that CD in my car. I think it's now in the CD changer in my Prius.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I guess after my first long roadtrip, I bought my first photo album in 1998. :bigass:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Takumi

Hearing their songs on the radio or YouTube or wherever. Too many to count.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bandit957

When I was growing up, I buyed a 45 of "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor because it used the word 'bother'.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

abefroman329

I've bought the soundtrack to a movie or musical I saw and really liked many times. I bought American Beauty after watching the last episode of Freaks and Geeks.

hbelkins

I made it a point to seek out and buy the soundtrack album for "Crossroads" and was severely disappointed to find out that it contained only the Ry Cooder blues tracks (sorry, Sandor) and not the Steve Vai jam in the "cuttin' heads" contest. I had to make do with a cassette I had recorded off the VHS of the album.

When I discovered "The Elusive Light and Sound" set by Vai that contained that jam, plus an extra related tune that didn't make it to the movie, I was elated.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on August 02, 2018, 10:21:16 PM
I made it a point to seek out and buy the soundtrack album for "Crossroads" and was severely disappointed to find out that it contained only the Ry Cooder blues tracks (sorry, Sandor) and not the Steve Vai jam in the "cuttin' heads" contest. I had to make do with a cassette I had recorded off the VHS of the album.

When I discovered "The Elusive Light and Sound" set by Vai that contained that jam, plus an extra related tune that didn't make it to the movie, I was elated.

No apologies necessary. I have never seen 'Crossroads' nor have I heard the soundtrack (though I do respect Ry Cooder's work).
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

abefroman329

Are we talking about the Britney Spears Crossroads movie or something else?

kurumi

Many years ago, when music CDs were a thing (ask your parents), we were in a Patong street market and Lou Bega's "Mambo Number 5" was on speakers everywhere. A catchy song, and reminded us of our vacation, so when we got back, we bought the CD.

Immediately our friends were like "aren't you sick of that song?" Well, not yet... we're not big radio listeners, so we were kind of behind the times on that one. Yeah, we got sick of it after a while.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

abefroman329

Quote from: kurumi on August 04, 2018, 12:57:37 PM
Many years ago, when music CDs were a thing (ask your parents), we were in a Patong street market and Lou Bega's "Mambo Number 5" was on speakers everywhere. A catchy song, and reminded us of our vacation, so when we got back, we bought the CD.

Immediately our friends were like "aren't you sick of that song?" Well, not yet... we're not big radio listeners, so we were kind of behind the times on that one. Yeah, we got sick of it after a while.
That guy made an entire album of music?

Yeah, that song was so popular, they even made a Disney version where th kids go to a candy store instead of a liquor store.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.